PDA

View Full Version : Deron to Rockets? Rondo to Pacers?

SanPitte
12-24-2013, 01:27 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/12/23/5238814/nba-trade-rumors-deron-williams-jeremy-lin-omer-asik

http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/70700/20131223/nba-trade-rumors-rajon-rondo-danny-granger-george-hill-pacers.htm

Rondo for G.Hill, Granger and a 1st

Deron for Asik and Lin

What do you think?

chi-townlove1
12-24-2013, 01:29 PM
God the pacers would be sick with rondo

xxplayerxx23
12-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Damn rockets and pacers would be nasty hopefully not lol

JordansBulls
12-24-2013, 01:40 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/12/23/5238814/nba-trade-rumors-deron-williams-jeremy-lin-omer-asik

http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/70700/20131223/nba-trade-rumors-rajon-rondo-danny-granger-george-hill-pacers.htm

Deron for Asik and Lin

What do you think?

Both should do it.

SanPitte
12-24-2013, 01:42 PM
both trades would make sense for those 4 teams

Rockets get rid of Asik and Lin and get a very good point guard/star
Nets get a replacement for Lopez and Deron

Pacers get rid of Granger and get a very good point guard
Celtics get a (late) 1st and an expiring

TylerSL
12-24-2013, 01:51 PM
D-Will to the Rockets is just pure speculation, but Rondo to the Pacers is a possibility.

Rondo
George
Stephenson
West
Hibbert

with a bench of Scola, Watson, Mihinmi, and possibly Gerald Wallace (if he is a part of the trade)

that would be a pretty formidable team

TylerSL
12-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Both should do it.

well I doubt the D-Will to the Rockets is a possibility, but Indiana should be all over Rondo. He already fits the biggest quality of the Pacer motto in hating the Miami Heat.

Bang Bros89
12-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Why would the Celtics even consider this deal? Rondo can get them a hell of a lot more than Hill and Granger.

And the Pacers won't even have their 2014 pick to trade, Phoenix has it.

SluggeR
12-24-2013, 02:00 PM
Not a pacers fan, but if they could get Rondo..TROUBLE!

John Walls Era
12-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Deron is a has been though. Hes relying on his name and has been playing very inconsistent.

Pacers would be damn good though.

Nighthawk
12-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Rondo to pacers makes no sense for boston. Indiana has hopes of a title, so there pick doesnt help boston. Grangrt has been so injured its not funny and hill is nice but for rondo???

NYSpirit1
12-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Why would the Celtics even consider this deal? Rondo can get them a hell of a lot more than Hill and Granger.

And the Pacers won't even have their 2014 pick to trade, Phoenix has it.

Exactly… the Pacers have nothing to offer that the Celtics would want. Anyone they'd want would be off limits. This is a complete garbage trade and garbage rumor.

Granger sucks now, Hill is decent, but is what he is. And a future 1st. Pass.

RipCity32
12-24-2013, 02:24 PM
I can't see Boston doing that at all.

KniCks4LiFe
12-24-2013, 02:28 PM
The Nets need to make that deal. Or they just are going to collapse.

NYKnickFanatic
12-24-2013, 02:43 PM
A healthy Rondo on the Pacers is scary. He would fit in perfectly.

NYKnickFanatic
12-24-2013, 02:43 PM
Rondo to pacers makes no sense for boston. Indiana has hopes of a title, so there pick doesnt help boston. Grangrt has been so injured its not funny and hill is nice but for rondo???

When does Granger expire?

TheMightyHumph
12-24-2013, 02:48 PM
I'd certainly do the Deron deal

NYKnickFanatic
12-24-2013, 02:49 PM
I'd certainly do the Deron deal

Yeah, I actually think it would be good for the Nets.

hugepatsfan
12-24-2013, 02:54 PM
If IND would take back Gerald Wallace I'd do that if I'm Boston. Not sure IND is willing to make that type of long term salary commitment though. That deal leaves them far over the luxury tax for next year. That being said, I think the deal greatly improves their team. Rondo I think would thrive playing in a lineup with Stephenson, George, West and Hibbert. Wallace is tremendously overpaid but he'd actually be a pretty nice backup SF for IND. His stats suck because he doesn't look for his shot at all even on BOS's rebuilding roster - he just rebounds, defends, passes and sets picks.

KniCks4LiFe
12-24-2013, 02:55 PM

That's 1/2 the reason I don't want it to happen.

If Jeremy Lin ends up in Brooklyn. This here no lie here. He's the back page over Melo and anything blue and orange. [James Dolan simply does not want that]

Not to mention, the Nets actually have future flexibility and depth.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-24-2013, 03:00 PM
doesnt make sense at all

KniCks4LiFe
12-24-2013, 03:13 PM
doesnt make sense at all

the Rondo deal?

shep33
12-24-2013, 03:16 PM
That trade would ruin the Pacers chemistry. Doubt they do it now.

Bruno
12-24-2013, 03:20 PM
I called Rondo to Indy months ago.

the last piece to their puzzle was upgrading at PG while moving Granger along with Hill. but rondos injury complicate things and indy might not do it.

NYKnickFanatic
12-24-2013, 03:20 PM
That's 1/2 the reason I don't want it to happen.

If Jeremy Lin ends up in Brooklyn. This here no lie here. He's the back page over Melo and anything blue and orange. [James Dolan simply does not want that]

Not to mention, the Nets actually have future flexibility and depth.

Very true, especially if he is playing well.

nickdymez
12-24-2013, 03:29 PM
I dont care how much people love the Heat, the pacers would be the team to beat with Rondo. Thats crazy

nickdymez
12-24-2013, 03:31 PM
If IND would take back Gerald Wallace I'd do that if I'm Boston. Not sure IND is willing to make that type of long term salary commitment though. That deal leaves them far over the luxury tax for next year. That being said, I think the deal greatly improves their team. Rondo I think would thrive playing in a lineup with Stephenson, George, West and Hibbert. Wallace is tremendously overpaid but he'd actually be a pretty nice backup SF for IND. His stats suck because he doesn't look for his shot at all even on BOS's rebuilding roster - he just rebounds, defends, passes and sets picks.

Yea but the Pacers would be so good that it would be definitely worth the gamble. That team would be absolutely ridiculous on D.

flea
12-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Rondo doesn't fit what the Pacers do, is coming off of a knee injury, and isn't a great teammate that anyone would be glad to have. I seriously doubt they would want to break up what they've been building just in case Rondo can fit their system. He can't shoot and that's really what they need their PG to do (and defend) so I have a hard time seeing them upsetting chemistry and giving away future picks for something so risky.

Dade County
12-24-2013, 03:36 PM

Deron for Asik and Lin

What do you think?

I love stack teams, so i would really like for this to happen... But the Nets have no reason to do this trade, and the Pacers would want to see Rondo play 15 - 20 games before trading for him.

KniCks4LiFe
12-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Very true, especially if he is playing well.

It'd be a nightmare. And lets just say They do move D-Will and Lin turns into Linsanity, lets say that happens, Lopez returns next year and stays healthy [for some stroke of luck] that damn Brooklyn chant is going to be annoying.

NYKnickFanatic
12-24-2013, 03:43 PM
It'd be a nightmare. And lets just say They do move D-Will and Lin turns into Linsanity, lets say that happens, Lopez returns next year and stays healthy [for some stroke of luck] that damn Brooklyn chant is going to be annoying.

Haha it already is annoying. A bunch of hipsters trying to do Fabs 'Brooooooklyn' voice is so bad.

KniCks4LiFe
12-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Haha it already is annoying. A bunch of hipsters trying to do Fabs 'Brooooooklyn' voice is so bad.

you a Fab fan? homie "Soul Tape 3" 24 hrs away.

KniCks4LiFe
12-24-2013, 03:45 PM
I love stack teams, so i would really like for this to happen... But the Nets have no reason to do this trade, and the Pacers would want to see Rondo play 15 - 20 games before trading for him.

http://i44.tinypic.com/erwrjb.png

yes they do

NYKnickFanatic
12-24-2013, 03:46 PM

Of course. Niiiiice lol

KniCks4LiFe
12-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Of course. Niiiiice lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ-vQSRlRPM

nickdymez
12-24-2013, 03:52 PM

Oh ****, I didnt even know he was dropping another one. Good lookin.

Dade County
12-24-2013, 03:57 PM
I dont care how much people love the Heat, the pacers would be the team to beat with Rondo. Thats crazy

No they wouldn't... If the HEAT play like they are capable of playing (playing real aka Lbj not being a con-artist), HEAT win tough series quickly; if NBA = Entertainment happens, then of course 7 game series and but Miami still moves on.

Don't blame me, this is the cause & effect of Lbj teaming up with D wade (championships).

KniCks4LiFe
12-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Oh ****, I didnt even know he was dropping another one. Good lookin.

no probs. I'll tell you I already heard it's set to be mixtape of the year. The rumors are it's leaking tonight. But being released tomorrow.

You know it's real when homies trying to leak free ish. :laugh2:

TheMightyHumph
12-24-2013, 03:59 PM

Nets have no reason to do this trade?

Are you kidding me?

nickdymez
12-24-2013, 04:07 PM
no probs. I'll tell you I already heard it's set to be mixtape of the year. The rumors are it's leaking tonight. But being released tomorrow.

You know it's real when homies trying to leak free ish. :laugh2:

The first one was fire to me. The second one was cool, not as good. I been wating on him to kill it wit the 3rd joint. I blow heavy weed to them joints..Imma be checkin Twitter and standing by.. lol

leprechaun5
12-24-2013, 04:18 PM
Pacers are playing the best basketball of their franchise right now , why would they take a chance on erratic ,immature Rondo to ruin their chemistry ?

ramz.n
12-24-2013, 04:20 PM
I think for Rondo is would cost hill , Stephenson + draft picks and they pacers would have to take on players like hump and wallace

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-24-2013, 04:22 PM
the Rondo deal?

yes

and Proki isnt about saving money, because that would be the purpose of the proposed trade

AddiX
12-24-2013, 04:36 PM
I've been wanting to see rondo to the pacers for awhile now, its a perfect fit.

This is like when the pistons got sheed, it's the Icing on the cake. Please let this happen,

Dade County
12-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Nets have no reason to do this trade?

Are you kidding me?

They might not value Lin and Asik like how other PSD posters value them.

Nets might see D will as a super star, and trading him for Lin & Asik might seem comical to them.

I don't think the Nets should take Lin & Asik contacts, but to each there own (but I would love to see d will on the rockets and Rondo on the Pacers).

bagwell368
12-24-2013, 04:44 PM
You guys against the Rondo deal are in love with the name. He's been on a big downhill slide since 2009-2010, he's injury prone, we don't know how he'll come off the injury or hold up. Wallace's deal is awful and he's a huge poison pill. Rondo is a FA after next year and will cost at least $13M per. I do this deal all day long, esp if I can flip picks with them in say 4 years.

Celts than have to deal Crawford, and some/most of: Lee, Bass, Hump, Green.

John Walls Era
12-24-2013, 04:44 PM
The Nets deal is dead. Rockets would be dumb to do that trade. Deron Williams is not that good anymore and hes unhealthy.

Pacers would look good on paper and would be imo the 2nd fave to win it all. BUT Rondo is coming off an injury and Pacers are playing well.

bagwell368
12-24-2013, 04:46 PM
I think for Rondo is would cost hill , Stephenson + draft picks and they pacers would have to take on players like hump and wallace

Nonsense.

AddiX
12-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Nets are really gonna trade deron? I just can't see that.

And teams still actually want him?

IndyRealist
12-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Granger + Hill makes $23M, Rondo makes $12M. This trade cannot happen without someone like Gerald Wallace coming back to the Pacers.

This is why Indy doesn't do it: the owners are unwilling to pay luxury tax, and Lance Stephenson is an unrestricted free agent in the summer. Taking ANY salary back for next year means Stephenson leaving.

This is why Indy shouldn't do it: they run a pass heavy, motion offense. That's why they play a SG at point, because their system relies on all players being a threat to score from wherever they are on the court. If everyone is a threat, defenders can't double. Rondo does not fit this system because he dominates the ball, and because he's an erratic shooter.

Would Rondo and Wallace make the Pacers better? Eventually. But they would drastically have to change their offense on the fly in a year they have a real shot at contending. I think we would pretty much have to throw in the towel this year and hope to contend in 2015.

TheMightyHumph
12-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Nets are really gonna trade deron? I just can't see that.

And teams still actually want him?

Supposedly, Rockets made the offer

TheMightyHumph
12-24-2013, 05:27 PM
The Nets deal is dead. Rockets would be dumb to do that trade. Deron Williams is not that good anymore and hes unhealthy.

Houston made the offer

Raps18-19 Champ
12-24-2013, 06:09 PM
That defense would be pretty good for the Pacers with Rondo.

Guppyfighter
12-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Pretty awful idea for the Pacers. They need shooters. This would only hurt their offense and the defense would be a redundancy.

George Hill at this point is better value and a better fit.

SanPitte
12-24-2013, 06:33 PM
I think Rondo isn't a good fit for the Pacers but they should definitely trade Granger before he leaves for nothing (for a late pick or a less expensive player), and they've shown they don't really need him...

The Rockets don't really need Asik and Deron would be an upgrade over Lin...but are they willing to give him $63million over the next 3 seasons?

TheMightyHumph
12-24-2013, 06:38 PM
I think Rondo isn't a good fit for the Pacers but they should definitely trade Granger before he leaves for nothing (for a late pick or a less expensive player), and they've shown they don't really need him...

The Rockets don't really need Asik and Deron would be an upgrade over Lin...but are they willing to give him $63million over the next 3 seasons?

Gotta pay Asik & Lin $30 mil next season

SanPitte
12-24-2013, 06:45 PM
Gotta pay Asik & Lin $30 mil next season

yes, but one season only

PurpleLynch
12-24-2013, 06:47 PM
Ahahah if the Pacers FO manages to get Rondo,Pritchard needs an award. Still,I'm not too convinced about Rondo in the Pacers system.

numba1CHANGsta
12-24-2013, 07:25 PM
If Deron Williams gets traded for Lin and Asik, then Stern will veto the trade right? I mean Pau+LO>>>Lin+Asik right? and in fact isn't Pau+LO a better package than Hill+Granger?? I'm just saying if any of these trades go down it will be one last slap to the face to the Lakers by Stern. Stern should have never got involved in any trade, where was Stern at when Pau got traded for Kwame+a rookie Gasol? LOL

Bottom line, these trades won't happen

JasonJohnHorn
12-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Well... the Rockets should be better from that deal, and it wouldn't hurt the Nets... I mean, you can't be any worse than the worst, right? Or can you?

As for the Pacers, I was actually thinking this a couple of weeks back, but I dismissed it because Hill just seems like such a great fit for that team. I mean, that team has CHEMISTRY! You can't top that. Would they have the same chemistry with Rondo? Lance and Paul handle the ball a lot, don't they? Hill is cool with that, but will Rondo be? On the defensive end I wouldn't expect any issues, but on offense? Rondo might not be the best fit for that team

SanPitte
12-24-2013, 07:52 PM
If Deron Williams gets traded for Lin and Asik, then Stern will veto the trade right? I mean Pau+LO>>>Lin+Asik right? and in fact isn't Pau+LO a better package than Hill+Granger?? I'm just saying if any of these trades go down it will be one last slap to the face to the Lakers by Stern. Stern should have never got involved in any trade, where was Stern at when Pau got traded for Kwame+a rookie Gasol? LOL

Bottom line, these trades won't happen

the league owned the Hornets at the time

flea
12-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Leave it to the Lakers fans to come into this thread and try to make it about the sorry state of their franchise. Face it - that package was a pile of dog **** and never would have happened if the team had had a real owner and GM. Luckily (and mercifully), Stern actually did something right in his job - that is, if you care about competition.

BRICKCITYPIMP12
12-24-2013, 08:15 PM
im a huge nets fan and have been for 15+ years.
if we trade dwill for lin and asik.. im done with that team.
i hate how our season has been going..BUT if u gonna trade dwill then trade for somthing thats worth it. lin and asik wont help us win now AND are overpaid so they wont help us if we were to rebuild either.

ChiTownPacerFan
12-24-2013, 08:29 PM
As a Pacers fan, Rondo makes absolutely no sense for us!

Rondo needs the ball in his hands. The point guard doesn't dominate the ball in our offense. We need a point guard who can space the floor and hit an open shot. I'll stick with Hill, thanks.

SanPitte
12-24-2013, 08:33 PM
im a huge nets fan and have been for 15+ years.
if we trade dwill for lin and asik.. im done with that team.
i hate how our season has been going..BUT if u gonna trade dwill then trade for somthing thats worth it. lin and asik wont help us win now AND are overpaid so they wont help us if we were to rebuild either.

You finish the year with a good center and a solid point guard, MAYBE contend in the East, get rid of an inconsistent big contract, and Asik and Lin come off the books at the end of next season

SanPitte
12-24-2013, 08:38 PM
Leave it to the Lakers fans to come into this thread and try to make it about the sorry state of their franchise. Face it - that package was a pile of dog **** and never would have happened if the team had had a real owner and GM. Luckily (and mercifully), Stern actually did something right in his job - that is, if you care about competition.

True, i still can't believe the Hornets owner agreed to send Chris Paul to the Lakers for Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom, it didn't make any sense at all, no matter how you look at it

John Walls Era
12-24-2013, 08:54 PM
I hope the trade happens. Then we will see who Dwight and Mcfail blames for their failures. Deron sucks, any nets fans who think hes good obviously dont watch.

KnicksorBust
12-24-2013, 08:58 PM
They could happen but neither deal makes sense.

thekmp211
12-24-2013, 09:19 PM
glad to see i still have bagwell's anti-rondo rants memorized. good god man, we get it. move on.

that being said, celtics should jump on this trade. when trading a star (and that is what his perceived value is around the league, whether bagwell thinks he's "declined" 3 straight years. GM's beg to differ.) you want to get affordable veterans, expiring contracts and picks. check, check, and check.

boston already has it's own pick in this draft, so let's not get caught up in the fact that indy's pick will likely be one of the last 2 in the first round. celts already have 2 first round picks, 1 of which will almost certainly be in the lottery. get granger off the books, dump wallaces contract, and start from scratch next season. go for it.

in other news, deron williams is literally the most overrated player in the NBA. dude hasn't been good in 3 years.

thekmp211
12-24-2013, 09:22 PM
indy/boston does. PG is not a full-time ball handler. they need someone who can consistently spark the offense and be an x factor at that position. being that the other 4 starters are solid shooting offensive players, i actually think it makes perfect sense.

morey would never consider the deal proposed between the rockets and the nets. two young, relatively inexpensive assets for an expensive, over-the-hill star? sounds like a new york knicks move (no insults intended, just basing it off recent history). you could rather easily make the argument that lin is a more valuable guard than williams. dude is a bum.

edit: in response to knicksorbust

uprightciti
12-24-2013, 09:51 PM
i think deron would screw with harden and howard

and actually i feel the same way about the pacers

paul george and rondo?! nahhh....

pacers should keep granger for a playoff weapon
and then when his contract is up let him walk or trade the expiring

Corey
12-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Weak package for Rondo, salaries dont add up without more pieces getting involved, and the Pacers don't even have the said first round pick.

False rumor. Bye.

DTownSkitzo
12-24-2013, 09:58 PM
I know people are going to hate this...but I mind as well post it.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mwxxyys

IndyRealist
12-24-2013, 10:15 PM
I know I'm a big Pacers homer, but I don't think a lot of the people wanting that trade understands how the Pacers' offense works. Trading for Rondo means completely changing our system, since Hill plays off ball 80% of the time and spends most of it as a spot up 3pt shooter. It's not simple plug n' play, NBA 2K13 style.

flea
12-24-2013, 10:22 PM
I know I'm a big Pacers homer, but I don't think a lot of the people wanting that trade understands how the Pacers' offense works. Trading for Rondo means completely changing our system, since Hill plays off ball 80% of the time and spends most of it as a spot up 3pt shooter. It's not simple plug n' play, NBA 2K13 style.

Good post. Pacers have been one of the better and more fun teams to watch the last 2-3 years. You'd think more NBA forum denizens would understand how their team works - alas, I think most people in PSD's NBA forum just play the video games and watch the Lakers/Heat.

IndyRealist
12-24-2013, 10:25 PM
I know people are going to hate this...but I mind as well post it.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mwxxyys

I don't think the Pacers do that. Jerebko would basically cost them Lance Stephenson.

I think it'd be easier for Detroit and Boston to pull a Rondo/Green deal for Monroe and filler. Probably better for both teams as well.

SanPitte
12-24-2013, 10:32 PM
I don't think the Pacers do that. Jerebko would basically cost them Lance Stephenson.

I think it'd be easier for Detroit and Boston to pull a Rondo/Green deal for Monroe and filler. Probably better for both teams as well.

yep, the priority for the Pacers must be to re-sign Lance Stephenson

0nekhmer
12-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Pacers would have to throw in Stephenson, and another future first for Boston to even consider that. Did they not see what the kings offered for rondo?!

thekmp211
12-24-2013, 10:45 PM
Weak package for Rondo, salaries dont add up without more pieces getting involved, and the Pacers don't even have the said first round pick.

False rumor. Bye.

the issue with the pick probably makes it false, but i don't see a much greater haul coming with the way this years draft looks. i would not hold my breath hoping for boston to acquire another top 15 pick.

this kind of deal is what they should be looking for, even if it's just a false rumor.

fwiw i'd be shocked if rondo goes to an already shooting-challenged detroit team.

shep33
12-24-2013, 10:51 PM
I think people are overvaluing Rondo here.

Lil Rhody
12-24-2013, 10:56 PM
Shhhh ^^^^

Chrisclover
12-24-2013, 11:21 PM
Pacers are aiming high !Rondo will fit in their system and what's more, the hatred against the Heat :rolleyes:

Guppyfighter
12-24-2013, 11:28 PM
How can anyone think Rondo fits in the Pacers system?

SanPitte
12-24-2013, 11:53 PM
How can anyone think Rondo fits in the Pacers system?

I don't think Rondo fits in the Pacers system either, but George, Stephenson, West and Hibbert would all have a lot more of "easy" baskets with a great passer like Rondo, and he's a very good defender

Guppyfighter
12-24-2013, 11:55 PM
The easier looks he can give them are completely negated by the fact they lose a floor spacer. George Hill's ability to hit the three at a high rate is as important to getting good looks as passing is.

Jazzgear
12-24-2013, 11:56 PM

Who would play point for the Nets? Lin cannot run a team offense on a full time basis? And while Deron is overrated as a point, neither Asik nor Lin are worth their due balloon pmts. Nets would be suckers to relieve Houston from those albatross 3rd year contract payments.

Chrisclover
12-24-2013, 11:58 PM
The Pacers will not be naive to trade for Rondo until Rondo plays several games. They are on the right track and pretty good now, no need to gamble to rush a championship, considering the big 3 of Heat may disintegrate soon due to high penalties of the new CBA. If they develop step by step,they will remain a contender in the upcoming few years

PacersForLife
12-25-2013, 12:03 AM
Like others have said, there is nothing to the Rondo deal. Probably just some deal some writer came up with in his spare time and it somehow turned into a rumor. George Hill's agent even said there have been no discussions of trading him at all this season.

This team has great chemistry. Not to mention I don't think we'll make any major moves unless something really bad happens like a major injury or long losing streak. The only guy I think has a chance to get moved is Copeland.

Guppyfighter
12-25-2013, 12:07 AM
Yeah, Pacers have a +10 differential. DOn't **** with that.

ichitownclowni
12-25-2013, 12:47 AM
If Melo goes to the Clips and Rondo goes to the Pacers the finals would be amazing. You would most likely have Thunder/Clippers vs Pacers/Heat. And the Warriors, Rockets, Trail Blazers, and Hawks all mixed in as well.

FlashBolt
12-25-2013, 12:59 AM
Why would Boston do that? Granger is garbage and George Hill isn't a PG.

Paul Jeffrey
12-25-2013, 04:14 AM
both trades would make sense for those 4 teams

Rockets get rid of Asik and Lin and get a very good point guard/star
Nets get a replacement for Lopez and Deron

Pacers get rid of Granger and get a very good point guard
Celtics get a (late) 1st and an expiring

How in the world does it make sense for the Nets to trade their star player for a bum(Lin) and a decent Center?

RollingWave
12-25-2013, 05:03 AM
How in the world does it make sense for the Nets to trade their star player for a bum(Lin) and a decent Center?
Well, partly because said bum has a considerably better TS% / Winshare and adjusted +/- this year and also has a much shorter contract so you could actually start rebuilding in earnest sooner.

People are kidding themselves if they think Harden somehow took a team of bums to the playoff in the west by himself, most of their supporting cast is quite good.

If Anything, Houston should be pretty skeptical of this deal, because if Deron doesn't work out they really have no fall back plan and ruined all they worked for in the last few years, they certainly could trade Lin / Asik in such a fashion but they probably want to look for a much safer choice than Deron at this point.

Deron have 4.5 years left on his deal at 20m average, if he gets hurt again and/or generally don't play up to that standard, Houston's ruined until 2018, I highly doubt Morey would take on that much risk for a guy who comes with a lot of risk to begin with.

As much as I doubt Rondo, he would be a much safer choice than Deron is simply due to length of contract.

John Walls Era
12-25-2013, 05:24 AM

Nets suck... so if they were bums, it would fit. But instead they are getting the better players in the deal.

SanPitte
12-25-2013, 07:46 AM

They do this to get rid of the giant contract they gave to Deron, and to try and contend without Brook Lopez...it's now, next year or never for the Nets

todu82
12-25-2013, 08:23 AM
Rondo on the Pacers would be a great add for them and make them unquestionable favorites in the east.

KnicksorBust
12-25-2013, 09:05 AM
Rondo on the Pacers would be a great add for them and make them unquestionable favorites in the east.

:laugh: just no.

jp611
12-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Jeremy Lin is a bum?

My god.

He's been better than D-Will this year, and don't use the injury excuse because Lin has been injured too.

Lin's having his best season by far. .641 TS% and .575 eFG%. He's been ****ing awesome this year.

SouthSideRookie
12-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Who would play point for the Nets? Lin cannot run a team offense on a full time basis? And while Deron is overrated as a point, neither Asik nor Lin are worth their due balloon pmts. Nets would be suckers to relieve Houston from those albatross 3rd year contract payments.

You really hate the Rockets with a passion. Ever since the Carmelo negotiations you've been bashing them. I can't wait until Morey lands the third max guy, whether it's Love or whoever it ends up being. Then you're really going to be burning up inside.

Well, partly because said bum has a considerably better TS% / Winshare and adjusted +/- this year and also has a much shorter contract so you could actually start rebuilding in earnest sooner.

People are kidding themselves if they think Harden somehow took a team of bums to the playoff in the west by himself, most of their supporting cast is quite good.

If Anything, Houston should be pretty skeptical of this deal, because if Deron doesn't work out they really have no fall back plan and ruined all they worked for in the last few years, they certainly could trade Lin / Asik in such a fashion but they probably want to look for a much safer choice than Deron at this point.

Deron have 4.5 years left on his deal at 20m average, if he gets hurt again and/or generally don't play up to that standard, Houston's ruined until 2018, I highly doubt Morey would take on that much risk for a guy who comes with a lot of risk to begin with.

As much as I doubt Rondo, he would be a much safer choice than Deron is simply due to length of contract.

Yeap, if anything Houston would be aiding in the process in Brooklyn getting out of the train wreck situation they are currently in.

D-Leethal
12-25-2013, 11:03 AM
I don't buy the "Rondo is most overrated PG" crap just because he can't shoot and controls the ball, but I don't see him as a great fit for Indy. Paul George also likes the ball in his hands and a PG who can shoot off him. George Hill isn't the most talented guy you could put next to him and if they need an upgrade to make another leap, its probably at one of the guard spots (even though both guys are very good players), but he is a great fit on that squad.

SeoulBeatz
12-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Wow Pacers would be getting a ****ing steal.

Guppyfighter
12-25-2013, 11:38 AM
The people who like this trade are wrong.

/thread

hugepatsfan
12-25-2013, 12:08 PM
IND would be getting a great deal talent wise but financially it's a crippling trade and they would have to adjust their system to accommodate Rondo's playing style. On paper I like it for them and I think it could really elevate them in the long run but I don't think it's smart to so drastically tamper with the formula of success for a team that looks poised to make a strong run at a title as currently built.

Again though, from an individual talent standpoint IND is making out pretty well so I can see why the trade would look appealing to some. After some evaluation I just feel it's one of those trades that looks great on paper but in reality wouldn't work out as planned.

c.c.
12-25-2013, 12:12 PM
I doubt if the Nets do this, they value Williams more than what he's worth. No team will win with him as a first option

Eagles4Lyfe
12-25-2013, 12:30 PM
I been saying in Raps forum, Pacers would be our best bet to trade Lowry to and get that first rounder of them.
But hey if they can get Rondo with that package then damn go for it.

But if their serious about winning that title this year, Hill has to be improved on in the starting 5 and if they get stingy and don't want to give their pick up then all the power to them.

KniCks4LiFe
12-25-2013, 12:44 PM

B/c he's better than Deron Williams and the center rebounds better than anything you have. Plus they have $28M coming off the cap in 2015.

The question shouldn't be why would they. The question should be why haven't they made this deal. Do you really think you're beating the Heat? the Pacers? y'all can't even beat my Knicks. Realtalk.

So what's your goal? make the playoffs? be a 5th seed? get KO'd? Lin + Asik might provide that. And they'd give you flexibility in the future too. So I honestly don't get what is to not want in that deal for your side.

KniCks4LiFe
12-25-2013, 12:46 PM
I doubt if the Nets do this, they value Williams more than what he's worth. No team will win with him as a first option

They won't. Billy King is too dumb to pull it off.

I don't see the Pacers getting Rondo either. It'd take a lot for him.

tr3ymill3r
12-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Brooklyn should do a complete overhaul and attempt to unload the KG contract to Houston along with DWill and take back Lin, Asik, a couple young guys and picks. Then move Paul Pierce to the Clippers just for picks. Attempt to have as little money on the books as possible and hit the lottery. The Nets could then throw the kitchen sink at LeBron and Melo and have a guy like Wiggins or Parker or trade that pick with Lopez coming back from surgery. Lin, Wiggins, LeBron, Melo, Lopez?

thekmp211
12-25-2013, 01:00 PM
yeah except the nets don't have a first round pick until the year 2079. their best shot is to acquire a late 1st rounder or two (if they can even get that) by dumping all their vets. d-will could probably return you a late first, depending on the team and the players coming back. the other guys will almost certainly be salary dumps. if the nets could get lin+asik for bumron williams, they should be all over it.

c.c.
12-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Brooklyn should do a complete overhaul and attempt to unload the KG contract to Houston along with DWill and take back Lin, Asik, a couple young guys and picks. Then move Paul Pierce to the Clippers just for picks. Attempt to have as little money on the books as possible and hit the lottery. The Nets could then throw the kitchen sink at LeBron and Melo and have a guy like Wiggins or Parker or trade that pick with Lopez coming back from surgery. Lin, Wiggins, LeBron, Melo, Lopez?

Not Terrence Jones! Only Young guys I wouldn't mind dealing is D-Mo and Canaan

IndyRealist
12-25-2013, 01:33 PM
I been saying in Raps forum, Pacers would be our best bet to trade Lowry to and get that first rounder of them.
But hey if they can get Rondo with that package then damn go for it.

But if their serious about winning that title this year, Hill has to be improved on in the starting 5 and if they get stingy and don't want to give their pick up then all the power to them.

I'd do that if it didn't cost us a starter, but Toronto would have to take back salary. Chris Copeland or CJ Watson, a pick, and cash for Kyle Lowry? Of course, the Pacers don't have their 2014 pick and you can't trade consecutive picks, so 2016?

Trading Copeland or Watson would also free up more cash for Stephenson, who increasingly looks like he's going to be expensive in the summer. And Lowry or George Hill as our 6th man? That's just unfair.

blahblahyoutoo
12-25-2013, 01:40 PM
rondo, overrated stat stuffer that can't shoot an outside shot to save his life. glad i'm not the only one that sees he's a horrible fit for the pacers.

SanPitte
12-25-2013, 01:54 PM

Sounds easy

SanPitte
12-25-2013, 01:55 PM
B/c he's better than Deron Williams and the center rebounds better than anything you have. Plus they have $28M coming off the cap in 2015.

The question shouldn't be why would they. The question should be why haven't they made this deal. Do you really think you're beating the Heat? the Pacers? y'all can't even beat my Knicks. Realtalk.

So what's your goal? make the playoffs? be a 5th seed? get KO'd? Lin + Asik might provide that. And they'd give you flexibility in the future too. So I honestly don't get what is to not want in that deal for your side.

exactly

TheMightyHumph
12-25-2013, 02:01 PM

Do you understand the NBA's rules concerning trades?

sammyvine
12-25-2013, 03:01 PM
rondo, overrated stat stuffer that can't shoot an outside shot to save his life. glad i'm not the only one that sees he's a horrible fit for the pacers.

no he is not LOL

Just cause you hate him, don't mean other players and teams do. Kobe, Deron, Wade and even Eric Spolstra all rate him highly, and i respect their opinion on fellow players.

xxplayerxx23
12-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Now I think rondo is overrated but that's the dumbest thing I've ever seen. You know he's driving to the paint but he still gets inside lol smh heat should know what rondo is all about

sammyvine
12-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Now I think rondo is overrated but that's the dumbest thing I've ever seen. You know he's driving to the paint but he still gets inside lol smh heat should know what rondo is all about

i dunno why everyone thinks rondo is overrated. I think he is a great PG

One thing i have noticed is when players get injured suddenly they become overrated. They were saying that about Rose and Westbrook.

blahblahyoutoo
12-25-2013, 03:15 PM
i dunno why everyone thinks rondo is overrated. I think he is a great PG

One thing i have noticed is when players get injured suddenly they become overrated. They were saying that about Rose and Westbrook.

rose is overrated. wb is properly rated, if not slightly under, depending who u axe.

D-Leethal
12-25-2013, 04:00 PM
no he is not LOL

Just cause you hate him, don't mean other players and teams do. Kobe, Deron, Wade and even Eric Spolstra all rate him highly, and i respect their opinion on fellow players.

Only on PSD where your TS% became the #1 barometer for rating players is Rondo considered an overrated bum. No NBA person who bleeds basketball and not spreadsheets would say that.

amak316
12-25-2013, 08:13 PM
no he is not LOL

Only on PSD where your TS% became the #1 barometer for rating players is Rondo considered an overrated bum. No NBA person who bleeds basketball and not spreadsheets would say that.

I'd like to see how someone who "bleeds basketball" does at sportsbetting vs someone who "bleeds spreadsheets."

All the best sportsbetters in the world are very stat driven and build sophisticated models off of stats to determine who's going go win games. Its a real thing and everyone who "knows basketball" by the eye test tends to go broke.

IndyRealist
12-25-2013, 08:28 PM
You do, in fact, understand that almost all advanced metrics LOVE Rajon Rondo? TS% measures one aspect of a player, how well they score. Everyone knows Rondo doesn't score well.

COOLbeans
12-25-2013, 08:31 PM
So the Nets, the Rockets, the Celtics and the Pacers have a love affair for moving players to each others respective teams? No kidding? :rolleyes:

IndyRealist
12-25-2013, 08:39 PM
So the Nets, the Rockets, the Celtics and the Pacers have a love affair for moving players to each others respective teams? No kidding? :rolleyes:

It's the reason all these former players will always been in charge, and guys like Morey and Ujiri will always be the oddballs no matter how effective they are. Half of it is who you know.

RollingWave
12-25-2013, 08:47 PM
George Hill has his problems but he's really to some bizarre extend, just like Rondo except much less flashy, he keeps the ball really well usually and defends very well, he fits what they want to do really nicely especially now with Lance and Paul George developing offensively.

They could use a 6th man more like Lin that does something completely opposite of George Hill to change things up at times, but I don't see a dramatic need to move away from Hill as their main PG. their current issue remains that their bench is still fairly blah (but much better than last year) and when they don't match up against teams that is really small they have trouble scoring a lot. but who cares when you defend like that.

shep33
12-25-2013, 08:57 PM
Yeah, if I were the Nets I'd do that deal in a heartbeat now.

D-Leethal
12-25-2013, 10:48 PM
I'd like to see how someone who "bleeds basketball" does at sportsbetting vs someone who "bleeds spreadsheets."

All the best sportsbetters in the world are very stat driven and build sophisticated models off of stats to determine who's going go win games. Its a real thing and everyone who "knows basketball" by the eye test tends to go broke.

Gambling the field over the course of a season(s) is a completely different animal than ranking players based on their win shares or some other made up formula. Analytics have a very real place in this sport, just not the way PSD has become accustomed to using them, and when dudes like Rondo get lambasted because of his TS%, like the most important way to judge a freakin' point guard is shooting efficiency, things need to be said.

You would think the stat heads would be the first ones to understand that "not all analytic arguments are created equal". The analytic usage you brought up is completely different than the analytic usage I constantly bash on here. One is the smart, prudent thing to do. The other is a useless exercise that is flawed on the surface, and gets even more flawed the digger you deep. Not only that, its trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and turn basketball into the "series of 1 on 1 individual matchups" that is baseball - and it will never be like that no matter how many stupid formulas these microsoft excel wizards come up with. Basketball is too dynamic, too team oriented, too many connected and intertwined parts to ever isolate each player and come up with accurate judgements like you can in baseball.

Gambling on outcomes of games, of course your going to want to analyze the team your betting on, how they fare in certain matchups, road vs home, vs power teams or small teams, vs teams with speedy PGs, vs pick and roll spread teams etc...That is the prudent thing to freakin' do. I don't think they are looking at Rondo's TS% and saying, "damn, dude is so overrated, bet the house against him!".

Nobody that has played with or against, or coached with or against Rondo will tell you Rondo is overrated. Only PSD Win Share warriors that take an unproven infant metric and start propping it up as the end-all be-all and think scoring efficiency is the best way to judge a freakin' true point guard.

thekmp211
12-25-2013, 10:53 PM
gambling the field is a completely different animal than ranking players based on their win shares or some other made up formula. Analytics have a very real place in this sport, just not the way psd has become accustomed to using them, and when dudes like rondo get lambasted because of his ts%, like the most important way to judge a freakin' point guard is shooting efficiency, things need to be said.

Gambling on outcomes of games, of course your going to want to analyze the team your betting on, how they fare in certain matchups, road vs home, vs power teams or small teams, vs teams with speedy pgs, vs pick and roll spread teams etc...that is the prudent thing to freakin' do. I don't think they are looking at rondo's ts% and saying, "damn, dude is so overrated, bet the house against him!".

Nobody that has played with or against, or coached with or against rondo will tell you rondo is overrated. Only psd win share warriors that take an unproven infant metric and start propping it up as the end-all be-all and think scoring efficiency is the best way to judge a freakin' true point guard.

preach

D-Leethal
12-25-2013, 10:56 PM
You do, in fact, understand that almost all advanced metrics LOVE Rajon Rondo? TS% measures one aspect of a player, how well they score. Everyone knows Rondo doesn't score well.

Well thats even sadder considering all the advanced stat self-appointed Einstein's here all bash Rondo whenever they get the chance. Only a spreadsheet inhaler that enjoys eliminating the human aspect of the game will analyze the game in a vaccum and bash someone that plays with Rondo's heart, intensity, defense, and uncanny passing ability. Rondo is a phenomenal point guard and basketball player and one of the few superstars who also thrive at providing all the intangibles at the guard position you normally need role players to provide.

Guppyfighter
12-25-2013, 11:37 PM
Rondo fails to do the most important thing well and it greatly decreases his value. He's a good PG, but the people who call him overrated are simply saying he is not top five.

Also, D-Leethal, I hope the Knicks enjoyed getting rid of their efficient players for players with heart like Metta or a "real" second scorer in bargs. Worked out really well to abandon their efficient offensive game plan and players like Novak and such.

IndyRealist
12-25-2013, 11:47 PM
Well thats even sadder considering all the advanced stat self-appointed Einstein's here all bash Rondo whenever they get the chance. Only a spreadsheet inhaler that enjoys eliminating the human aspect of the game will analyze the game in a vaccum and bash someone that plays with Rondo's heart, intensity, defense, and uncanny passing ability. Rondo is a phenomenal point guard and basketball player and one of the few superstars who also thrive at providing all the intangibles at the guard position you normally need role players to provide.
That's a non sequitur. I am telling you that almost all advanced metrics love Rondo, since you don't look at them. If they are only looking at things "in a vacuum" then they would love Rondo, as well. Your standard response of "advanced metrics can't measure basketball, anyone who looks at them needs to watch a game" doesn't even come close to applying here.

Being derogatory doesn't make you right. Attacking a person only implies that you don't have confidence in your actual argument.

IndyRealist
12-26-2013, 12:06 AM
Gambling the field over the course of a season(s) is a completely different animal than ranking players based on their win shares or some other made up formula. Analytics have a very real place in this sport, just not the way PSD has become accustomed to using them, and when dudes like Rondo get lambasted because of his TS%, like the most important way to judge a freakin' point guard is shooting efficiency, things need to be said.

You would think the stat heads would be the first ones to understand that "not all analytic arguments are created equal". The analytic usage you brought up is completely different than the analytic usage I constantly bash on here. One is the smart, prudent thing to do. The other is a useless exercise that is flawed on the surface, and gets even more flawed the digger you deep. Not only that, its trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and turn basketball into the "series of 1 on 1 individual matchups" that is baseball - and it will never be like that no matter how many stupid formulas these microsoft excel wizards come up with. Basketball is too dynamic, too team oriented, too many connected and intertwined parts to ever isolate each player and come up with accurate judgements like you can in baseball.

Gambling on outcomes of games, of course your going to want to analyze the team your betting on, how they fare in certain matchups, road vs home, vs power teams or small teams, vs teams with speedy PGs, vs pick and roll spread teams etc...That is the prudent thing to freakin' do. I don't think they are looking at Rondo's TS% and saying, "damn, dude is so overrated, bet the house against him!".

Nobody that has played with or against, or coached with or against Rondo will tell you Rondo is overrated. Only PSD Win Share warriors that take an unproven infant metric and start propping it up as the end-all be-all and think scoring efficiency is the best way to judge a freakin' true point guard.

Several metrics said that Jason Kidd was integral to the Knicks last year, and that Bargnani has been just about the WORST player in the NBA (lots of minutes combined with poor performance). The over/under on the Knicks this year was 50. If you looked at advanced metrics, you would have taken under ALL DAY.

Those same metrics say that Josh Smith is overrated, and Paul Milsap is underrated. So switching Milsap for Smith, by conventional wisdom, should cost them wins but by advanced metrics would be a good move. The over/under was 40, and the Hawks are currently two games over .500.

If you could place a bet right after the Rudy Gay trade, you would take the OVER on Toronto, because popular perception (and thus Vegas odds-makers) think that Gay is a great player.

I could keep going, but you get the point. The whole point of analytics is to measure what's actually going on during the game, and how that differs from popular perception. That shows you where the market inefficiencies are that you can exploit. You can bet Toronto looks at it these days. So does San Antonio, and Houston, and Indiana, and Oklahoma City, and Dallas.

Guppyfighter
12-26-2013, 12:14 AM
D-Leethal likes to pretend that NBA teams don't utilize stats in a more complex, obsessive way than your average PSDer.

Chronz
12-26-2013, 12:22 AM
When will D-Lee ever call out individuals instead of making broad generalizations. Being underrated/overrated isn't a legitimate critique, you dont need stats to know that.

Chronz
12-26-2013, 12:38 AM
Only a spreadsheet inhaler that enjoys eliminating the human aspect of the game will analyze the game in a vaccum and bash someone that plays with Rondo's heart, intensity, defense, and uncanny passing ability. Rondo is a phenomenal point guard and basketball player and one of the few superstars who also thrive at providing all the intangibles at the guard position you normally need role players to provide.
lmfao

Did you ever respond to Bags post BTW? The one where the Celtic fan explained why you come off sounding like you only watch him sporadically. Players with heart/intensity dont take so many games off and dont care about their assists numbers more than making the correct basketball play. Intangibles? Like his ability to stifle his teammates game and drive his coaches mad? The same "leader" who would rather quit team USA than get cut.

Intangible arguments go both ways, there are alot of holes in Rondo's game that DONT show up on the stat sheet. But you'll ignore those and keep spewing the same tired cliches. Its almost as if you dont realize Rondo's defense has been in a continuous free fall the last few years. Try watching the game AND understanding the stats. As opposed to only watching him when he plays the Knicks

KniCks4LiFe
12-26-2013, 12:51 AM
Yeah, if I were the Nets I'd do that deal in a heartbeat now.

I don't think they can now. If you're Morey after watching the past 2 weeks why make that deal?

blahblahyoutoo
12-26-2013, 02:50 PM
I don't think they can now. If you're Morey after watching the past 2 weeks why make that deal?

because deron, as bad as he's been this season, is still a huge upgrade over any of their pg.
they don't even play asik, nor does it seem like they want to even when he's healthy.

72 Wins
12-26-2013, 03:24 PM
That would be INSANE if Pacers got Rondo.

blahblahyoutoo
12-26-2013, 03:25 PM
That would be INSANE if Pacers got Rondo.

yeah, insanely bad.

xxplayerxx23
12-26-2013, 03:27 PM
yeah, insanely bad.

Would smash Miami if they got rondo

KniCks4LiFe
12-26-2013, 03:33 PM
because deron, as bad as he's been this season, is still a huge upgrade over any of their pg.
they don't even play asik, nor does it seem like they want to even when he's healthy.

Deron is living off his name. And his attitude is a complete jerk.

blahblahyoutoo
12-26-2013, 05:10 PM
Would smash Miami if they got rondo

i'm more worried about the presence of hibbert, than rondo if they get him.
not expecting much from oden so anything positive will be a plus.

JasonJohnHorn
12-26-2013, 06:50 PM
The trade between the Pacers and the Celtics looks good for both teams on paper. Boston would not only get an All-Star in Granger back in the deal, but the starting point guard for the Eastís best team, as well as a future first-round pick. If you are re-building, there isnít a much better package that you could hope for. Granger is a gamble because of his recent injuries, but, because he is an expiring contract, he isnít as high a risk. There is a chance that he doesnít play well and/or bolts for another team in free agency, but at the very least the Celtics will clear a lot of cap space by unloading Rondoís contract, and also pick up a draft pick in the process, not to mention a quality point guard.

For the Pacers, though, this may be a high risk deal. In essence, because they are already playing the best basketball in the league right now without Granger, this trade amounts to a Hill/Rondo swap with a draft pick thrown in to sweeten the deal. On paper Rondo seems like a huge upgrade, but there may be some potential chemistry issues. On the defensive end, there likely isnít a point guard in the league who is better than Rondo, though there are a few who can play at his level. Pairing Rondo with Hibbert is enough to make any defensive-minded coach/fan drool. On offence, though, there might be a problem. Right now Pacers do not have a primary playmaker. They play team ball. Lance Stephenson, the shooting guard, is actually picking up a lot of ball handling duties (heís leading the team with 5.1 assists a game), as is Paul George (3.6 assists a game), who is averaging the same amount of assists that Hill currently is. Plays are also run through David West in the post, with the talented forward average 3.1 assists a game himself. Rondo has been a primary ball handler for the past four or five seasons, so bringing him in to Indiana may not work. Taking the ball out of the hands of Stephenson, George and West may disrupt the teamís chemistry on offence, even as it is bolstered on defence. There is also the question of Rondoís shooting. When George, Stephenson and West go inside, defenses have to stay on Hill because he is a solid shooter from behind the arc (.380 this season). Rondo, however, cannot hit those shots, and so, will likely allow defenses to follow other players inside. Inversely, Rondoís drive-and-dish approach could make things easier for the likes of West, George and Stephenson, but it would be a dramatic change to the way the offense is run. Coupled with all that, we have yet to see what Rondo can do post-injury. It is possible he may not play at the level that is expected of him and that this deal may amount to the Pacers giving up an All-Star, a starter and a first round draft pick for nothing.

The Rockets/Net trade is interesting for a number of reasons. Looking at it from Houstonís perspective, it looks like a win-win. They move disgruntled center Omer Asik, shed an unwanted contract in Jeremy Lin, and bring in a point guard who may very well be the second best point guard in the league. Though James Harden does bring the ball up a lot, having a playmaker like Williams would not disrupt things the way they would for Indiana if they brought in Rondo. Harden is the leading playmaker for the Rockets, but this is more of a necessity than a choice. His 5+ assists per game is impressive for a shooting guard, but unlike Stephenson, his assist-to-turnover ratio makes him an inefficient passer (he get over 4 turnovers a game). Having a more efficient playmaker draw defences away from Harden, while also providing more efficient playmaking, will make the Rockets a much better team.

For the Nets, this trade would be about cutting losses. Asik and Lin both have shorter contracts than Williams, and so cap space will be cleared out sooner as a result, which should help the Nets since they have traded away most of their draft picks and will need another way to bring in talent. Will this make the Nets any better? Having two defensive minded rebounders with a limited offensive game (Reggie Evans and Omer Asik) would make the center rotation a liability on offence, but other teams (the 2004 Detroit Pistons) have overcome this. Lin, though, would be a down grade from Deron Williams, unless playing in New York would bring back Linsanity. The Nets seem to be rejecting this deal, but as the losses mount up, and they are mounting up, the Nets may look to have a fire sale before the trade deadline. Moving Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce to contenders seems like the right thing to do since Garnett waived his no-trade clause in order to play for a contender, and once those two are gone, there seems like no point in building around a 30-year-old point guard with a center who has missed two of the last three seasons with an injury. The Nets may shin this deal now, but shedding contracts before the trade deadline will likely be in their best interest if they are still sitting at the bottom of the Atlantic Division.

If Iím Boston, I take the deal Indy is offering. If Iím Indy, Iím going to try to wrangle a deal that doesnít involve losing George Hill. Granger and some draft picks, along with Chris Copeland and/or C.J. Watosn might be good enough for Boston, and if itís not, the Pacers will still be adding an All-Star to their roster as Granger is now back from injury. As to the Rockets/Nets deals, the Nets may want to look around and see if they can get a better deal for Deron Williams, but at the end of the day, this team is not winning and a fire sale seems like it is in Brooklynís best interest. It was an honest effort, but moving vets like Williams, Pierce, Garnett and Jason Terry in exchange for expiring contracts and draft picks, may be the best move that Brooklyn can make now.

zn23
12-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Rondo is extremely overrated, the Pacers would be giving up too much for him.

Sly Guy
12-26-2013, 07:10 PM
The trade between the Pacers and the Celtics looks good for both teams on paper. Boston would not only get an All-Star in Granger back in the deal, but the starting point guard for the East’s best team, as well as a future first-round pick. If you are re-building, there isn’t a much better package that you could hope for. Granger is a gamble because of his recent injuries, but, because he is an expiring contract, he isn’t as high a risk. There is a chance that he doesn’t play well and/or bolts for another team in free agency, but at the very least the Celtics will clear a lot of cap space by unloading Rondo’s contract, and also pick up a draft pick in the process, not to mention a quality point guard.

For the Pacers, though, this may be a high risk deal. In essence, because they are already playing the best basketball in the league right now without Granger, this trade amounts to a Hill/Rondo swap with a draft pick thrown in to sweeten the deal. On paper Rondo seems like a huge upgrade, but there may be some potential chemistry issues. On the defensive end, there likely isn’t a point guard in the league who is better than Rondo, though there are a few who can play at his level. Pairing Rondo with Hibbert is enough to make any defensive-minded coach/fan drool. On offence, though, there might be a problem. Right now Pacers do not have a primary playmaker. They play team ball. Lance Stephenson, the shooting guard, is actually picking up a lot of ball handling duties (he’s leading the team with 5.1 assists a game), as is Paul George (3.6 assists a game), who is averaging the same amount of assists that Hill currently is. Plays are also run through David West in the post, with the talented forward average 3.1 assists a game himself. Rondo has been a primary ball handler for the past four or five seasons, so bringing him in to Indiana may not work. Taking the ball out of the hands of Stephenson, George and West may disrupt the team’s chemistry on offence, even as it is bolstered on defence. There is also the question of Rondo’s shooting. When George, Stephenson and West go inside, defenses have to stay on Hill because he is a solid shooter from behind the arc (.380 this season). Rondo, however, cannot hit those shots, and so, will likely allow defenses to follow other players inside. Inversely, Rondo’s drive-and-dish approach could make things easier for the likes of West, George and Stephenson, but it would be a dramatic change to the way the offense is run. Coupled with all that, we have yet to see what Rondo can do post-injury. It is possible he may not play at the level that is expected of him and that this deal may amount to the Pacers giving up an All-Star, a starter and a first round draft pick for nothing.

The Rockets/Net trade is interesting for a number of reasons. Looking at it from Houston’s perspective, it looks like a win-win. They move disgruntled center Omer Asik, shed an unwanted contract in Jeremy Lin, and bring in a point guard who may very well be the second best point guard in the league. Though James Harden does bring the ball up a lot, having a playmaker like Williams would not disrupt things the way they would for Indiana if they brought in Rondo. Harden is the leading playmaker for the Rockets, but this is more of a necessity than a choice. His 5+ assists per game is impressive for a shooting guard, but unlike Stephenson, his assist-to-turnover ratio makes him an inefficient passer (he get over 4 turnovers a game). Having a more efficient playmaker draw defences away from Harden, while also providing more efficient playmaking, will make the Rockets a much better team.

For the Nets, this trade would be about cutting losses. Asik and Lin both have shorter contracts than Williams, and so cap space will be cleared out sooner as a result, which should help the Nets since they have traded away most of their draft picks and will need another way to bring in talent. Will this make the Nets any better? Having two defensive minded rebounders with a limited offensive game (Reggie Evans and Omer Asik) would make the center rotation a liability on offence, but other teams (the 2004 Detroit Pistons) have overcome this. Lin, though, would be a down grade from Deron Williams, unless playing in New York would bring back Linsanity. The Nets seem to be rejecting this deal, but as the losses mount up, and they are mounting up, the Nets may look to have a fire sale before the trade deadline. Moving Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce to contenders seems like the right thing to do since Garnett waived his no-trade clause in order to play for a contender, and once those two are gone, there seems like no point in building around a 30-year-old point guard with a center who has missed two of the last three seasons with an injury. The Nets may shin this deal now, but shedding contracts before the trade deadline will likely be in their best interest if they are still sitting at the bottom of the Atlantic Division.

If I’m Boston, I take the deal Indy is offering. If I’m Indy, I’m going to try to wrangle a deal that doesn’t involve losing George Hill. Granger and some draft picks, along with Chris Copeland and/or C.J. Watosn might be good enough for Boston, and if it’s not, the Pacers will still be adding an All-Star to their roster as Granger is now back from injury. As to the Rockets/Nets deals, the Nets may want to look around and see if they can get a better deal for Deron Williams, but at the end of the day, this team is not winning and a fire sale seems like it is in Brooklyn’s best interest. It was an honest effort, but moving vets like Williams, Pierce, Garnett and Jason Terry in exchange for expiring contracts and draft picks, may be the best move that Brooklyn can make now.

some good analysis right here. I'm not a big fan of deron, I think lin is a low-maintenance guy who is playing well in their system right now and I would be hesitant to move him. The pacers, you're pretty much spot-on. They're playing the best ball in the league without this trade, and although rondo is a top-tier pg, adding that significant a piece this year means they make themselves vulnerable while the team adjusts to accommodate him. I don't believe Rondo to be overrated, he's a flawed player, but he does so many other things well it offsets his lack of jumpshot.

OlivaThor
12-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Deron would benefit from changing scenario big time. Iīm all for it