PDA

View Full Version : Why not swap picks and make a push?

raptors_fanatic
12-23-2013, 07:06 PM
With Raptors not wanting to be in no man's land and with the Eastern Conference being so weak that we could weasel are way in with a division championship, why not swap our pick with another team?
-Why we do it: We could make a push for the playoffs while potentially getting a high lottery pick! (BEST OF BOTH WORLDS)
-Why they do it: Nobody thinks we can make playoffs this early in the season so they'd assume we'd being giving them a higher lottery pick (which may be the case, or maybe not)

So what do you think? && who do you think the trade partner should be?

One of Philly's picks? Cavs? Who else?
This was an idea i had earlier, i'm not getting excited with recent wins, though i am happy with the Gay trade... this squad likes to share the ball like our division championship team so i think we can do it.

Jamiecballer
12-23-2013, 07:09 PM
that's a very interesting theory but the rest of the teams in the NBA aren't dumb.

Sly Guy
12-23-2013, 07:11 PM
it would be a great thing to do, but yeah, no one is trading picks in this year's draft.

Bramaca
12-23-2013, 07:24 PM
What else is getting traded? Teams aren't going to just swap picks without anything else being involved.

smith&wesson
12-23-2013, 07:37 PM
What else is getting traded? Teams aren't going to just swap picks without anything else being involved.

lowry :shrug:

Id do it if its a higher pick in this years draft.

Wax_da_workman
12-24-2013, 02:31 AM
If were really gonna make a push for something this year go in and trade val for a pick. Every gm knows how untouchable val is. All im saying before u all go ape ish on me. Without val the drop off isnt HUGE. And if we somehow net a pick and keep our own u have 2 picks for 2014 cuz we have our own

DaoudS
12-24-2013, 07:18 AM
Because the success is based off a really small sample size.

LanceUpperCut
12-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Well I think he's saying find a team who has pretty much the same record offer to swap picks then both teams don't even have to think about tanking and just play out the year. It could be very risky or very rewarding but either way are whole fanbase could actually root for wins other than rooting for loses.

raptors_fanatic
12-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Well I think he's saying find a team who has pretty much the same record offer to swap picks then both teams don't even have to think about tanking and just play out the year. It could be very risky or very rewarding but either way are whole fanbase could actually root for wins other than rooting for loses.

exactly

Bramaca
12-24-2013, 02:45 PM

exactly

Teams don't just swap picks like that. It's not going to happen.

Jamiecballer
12-24-2013, 03:05 PM
You're looking for a dupe. Not gonna happen.

North Yorker
12-24-2013, 03:36 PM
This makes no sense.

I think you meant to say look for a trade with a team where you're unloading an asset and receive the right to swap picks with another team. Like what Atlanta did with Brooklyn and Denver did with NYK.

Teams dont just swap picks for the fun of it.

That's why I was intrigued by the possibility to trade Lowry to the Knicks for Felton+ whatever and the right to swap picks with NY in 2015 and 2017. If Melo leaves and they strike out in FA then it could pay off.

LanceUpperCut
12-24-2013, 03:39 PM
Teams don't just swap picks like that. It's not going to happen.

I know they don't but maybe they should. I'm sure a team like Cleveland thinks they will be better than us by seasons end and same for us. I think both fan bases would be happy to take the risk. Chances are that a team might get duped by a couple draft rankings at worse but at least everyone could put the whole rooting for loses to the side.

This whole tanking issue obviously has the league concerned since there try to find a whole new draft process.

Wax_da_workman
12-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Trade val to MIL for their pick!!!

Raps08-09 Champ
12-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Won't work. No team just changes picks like that. They need an asset along as well.

killersweet
12-24-2013, 09:43 PM
simply tank the hell out. No need for swapping picks or hoping for chips to fall to us :p

Eagles4Lyfe
12-25-2013, 12:52 PM
I refuse to believe those wins were nothign but an anomaly

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Trade val to MIL for their pick!!!No thanks! Henson been great for us in Sanders absence with broken thumb in bar fight. Our pick could be #1. Val isn't worth #1 in this draft.

koreancabbage
12-26-2013, 12:59 AM
The worst part of this deal if it was Lowry and first for another first, if traded to team in the East, can automatically make the other team better and the Raptors worse.