PDA

View Full Version : Since PSD Loves Stats

NYKnickFanatic
12-23-2013, 05:40 PM
According to NBA.com's SportVU data, Anthony has recorded 6.8 assist opportunities per game, which are defined as passes that would result in dimes if the teammate made the ensuing shot. Since only 2.9 have actually resulted in assists, that means his teammates are shooting only 42.6 percent when he sets them up.

Enough with saying he doesn't pass. When his teammates can't hit shots, what do you expect him to do? Shoot.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1897512-new-york-knicks-keep-wasting-carmelo-anthonys-talent

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-23-2013, 05:58 PM
I guess he should pass better :shrug:

and I think .43 isnt really bad, because league average FG% is around .45

tredigs
12-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Enough with saying he doesn't pass. When his teammates can't hit shots, what do you expect him to do? Shoot.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1897512-new-york-knicks-keep-wasting-carmelo-anthonys-talent
To put it another way, the player with the 3rd highest Usage% in the NBA JUST cracks the top 75 in Assist Opportunities created per game.

There is also the possibility that he may not set them up in as ideal of circumstances to hit their shot as others above him. And even then, the points created off assists for him and New York are just outside the top 75. Very little difference then what you would expect.

But I do like the cool-shades emoji in the thread title to indicate you think you made a point. Unfortunately, no.

Goose17
12-23-2013, 06:09 PM
To put it another way, the player with the 3rd highest Usage% in the NBA JUST cracks the top 75 in Assist Opportunities created per game.

There is also the possibility that he may not set them up in as ideal of circumstances to hit their shot as others above him. And even then, the points created off assists for him and New York are just outside the top 75. Very little difference then what you would expect.

But I do like the cool-shades emoji in the thread title to indicate you think you made a point. Unfortunately, no.

This^

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-23-2013, 06:30 PM
and you dont have to be a genius to notice that whenever Melo gets the ball the NY's offense freezes

b@llhog24
12-23-2013, 06:41 PM

Here's the stats...

Here's the context.

Chronz
12-24-2013, 04:21 AM

http://s3-live.tapcdn.com/images/tap/b/4/0/3/c/257/be9/400-animate/google-image-result-for-http-cupofzup-com-wp-content-uploads-2012-04-mother-of-god-gif.gif

nickdymez
12-24-2013, 10:32 AM
Stat guys like to use context when it benefits them

Teeboy1487
12-24-2013, 10:59 AM

The OP after Tredigs' post.
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/dead2.gif

koreancabbage
12-24-2013, 11:15 AM

better than just saying **** out of your *** with no context and no stats

Jamiecballer
12-24-2013, 08:39 PM
The problem has never been the volume of passing. Its why someone who isn't especially efficient is dominating the ball as thoroughly as he is.

The same criticism does not apply to Durant who is ultra efficient.

KnicksorBust
12-24-2013, 08:43 PM
I have watched every knicks game this year and I can say that we are missing more open shots than last year. So his apg should be slightly higher. It would be even higher but Melo is still a selfish player in 90% of games...

Raps18-19 Champ
12-24-2013, 08:46 PM

Not at all.

thekmp211
12-24-2013, 09:30 PM
i expect him to get better. attack the basket, get to the line, stop pulling up 10 times a game without a single pass. just moving the ball around sometimes would actually end up getting HIM a better shot.

besides his rebounding, which has been impressive, melo has done nothing to embrace the responsibilities he so wanted when he got to the knicks.

what did lebron do after back-to-back MVP's? did he decide his game was complete? no. since becoming the best player in the world his game has arguably improved exponentially. and you can't tell me melo's current supporting cast is anywhere close to as bad as what lebron dragged around in cleveland.

melo is a clown. sorry. fun player, explosive scorer, but pretty much everything you DONT want from a supremely talented player. we've waited long enough for this to change, at this point he is what he is, which is not a superstar. just an all-star player with a big ego.

Jamiecballer
12-24-2013, 09:53 PM
i expect him to get better. attack the basket, get to the line, stop pulling up 10 times a game without a single pass. just moving the ball around sometimes would actually end up getting HIM a better shot.

besides his rebounding, which has been impressive, melo has done nothing to embrace the responsibilities he so wanted when he got to the knicks.

what did lebron do after back-to-back MVP's? did he decide his game was complete? no. since becoming the best player in the world his game has arguably improved exponentially. and you can't tell me melo's current supporting cast is anywhere close to as bad as what lebron dragged around in cleveland.

melo is a clown. sorry. fun player, explosive scorer, but pretty much everything you DONT want from a supremely talented player. we've waited long enough for this to change, at this point he is what he is, which is not a superstar. just an all-star player with a big ego.

Wow and you are from New York? Bravo my friend. Completely spot on.

SMH!
12-24-2013, 10:16 PM

just killed this thread

thekmp211
12-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Wow and you are from New York? Bravo my friend. Completely spot on.

celtics fan, but basketball fan moreso than anything. knicks are my local team so i watch quite a bit, and this season is the worst basketball a new york team has played since the post-Allen Houston nightmare years. the entire organization has embarrassed itself one quick season after winning the 2 seed in the east. sad thing is, this iteration of the knicks has not been the same since J-kidd's shooting went off a cliff last season. that a player as limited as kidd last season was SO crucial to a teams success on offense (especially when that team has an "elite" offensive option) is remarkably telling.

KnicksorBust
12-24-2013, 10:45 PM

This is where you lose me. The fact that you have to compare him to Lebron to show how bad he is actually proves how good he really is.

thekmp211
12-24-2013, 10:52 PM
This is where you lose me. The fact that you have to compare him to Lebron to show how bad he is actually proves how good he really is.

my point is that a guy like lebron, who is SO much better than melo and has been for years, still doesn't take his talents for granted.

i could make the same comparison in regards to: derrick rose, kevin love, russell westbrook, kevin durant, james harden, kobe bryant, dirk nowitzki ect. all players who at their peak are superior to melo, and all of them were/are still dedicated to improving their game and not blaming their failures on external factors.

melo hasn't improved his game, in my estimation, at all since 2006. he hasn't even become a -smarter- player. same guy, same one dimensional game and same massive ego.

don't want to be compared to the best? don't act/get paid like the best.

JEDean89
12-24-2013, 10:56 PM
lol op nowhere to be seen

Chronz
12-25-2013, 12:25 AM
It ALWAYS benefits EVERY argument. LMFAO read the thread plz

Guppyfighter
12-25-2013, 12:30 AM
Context isn't a one way street. Stat guys get to use that buzzword too. And we almost always bring up why these stats occur.

KnicksorBust
12-25-2013, 12:32 AM

my point is that a guy like lebron, who is SO much better than melo and has been for years, still doesn't take his talents for granted.

i could make the same comparison in regards to: derrick rose, kevin love, russell westbrook, kevin durant, james harden, kobe bryant, dirk nowitzki ect. all players who at their peak are superior to melo, and all of them were/are still dedicated to improving their game and not blaming their failures on external factors.

melo hasn't improved his game, in my estimation, at all since 2006. he hasn't even become a -smarter- player. same guy, same one dimensional game and same massive ego.

don't want to be compared to the best? don't act/get paid like the best.

Then how do you explain his career year last season? His two highest seasons of PER were last year and this year. Despite the fact that his 3pt shot has vastly improved since joining the Knicks, he still worked with Hakeem and improved his post game. In addition, his turnovers have been drastically decreased (currently at a career low) despite increased usage. This hardly sounds like the resume of a stagnant player.

thekmp211
12-25-2013, 01:16 AM
Then how do you explain his career year last season? His two highest seasons of PER were last year and this year. Despite the fact that his 3pt shot has vastly improved since joining the Knicks, he still worked with Hakeem and improved his post game. In addition, his turnovers have been drastically decreased (currently at a career low) despite increased usage. This hardly sounds like the resume of a stagnant player.

Like i said, no one on the knicks has reached the level of play they achieved last season when jason kidd was playing well. this season, offensively i feel he has regressed a bit.

does he use that post game? rarely, if ever. he doesn't commit to getting easy shots and that hurts the whole offense.

has he really achieved a new level of offensive ability since the 07-08 season?

TrueFan420
12-25-2013, 05:39 AM

Damn tre... Where's the holiday spirit? At least wait until after Christmas to burst his bubble.

naps
12-25-2013, 07:20 AM

Except you don't know what the hell you're talking about. I smell bitterness. Everyone and their mother here know why you think like this.

bagwell368
12-25-2013, 01:17 PM

A partial years worth of data when the Knics suck? Oh that's informative. You know he doesn't like to pass, and he's not good at it, his passes often come when the clock is low and he passes off to someone in a worst bind than him.

Also, go ahead and do that math if his team was shooting as "good" as Carmelo - how many more APG would that produce? Not bloody much.

Just another NYK fan hysteric for a title team, been such a long long long time, I can understand, but not endorse baloney masquerading as meaningful statistics, try again.

IndyRealist
12-25-2013, 01:44 PM

Stat guys like to use context, because stat guys like to understand WHY stats say what they do.

It's the Sportscenter generation of kidz that say things like, "PER of 25. /thread"

KnicksorBust
12-25-2013, 02:22 PM

Like i said, no one on the knicks has reached the level of play they achieved last season when jason kidd was playing well. this season, offensively i feel he has regressed a bit.

does he use that post game? rarely, if ever. he doesn't commit to getting easy shots and that hurts the whole offense.

has he really achieved a new level of offensive ability since the 07-08 season?

Didnt I already answer that? :)

Improved post play (if you think he rarely posts up then you clearly dont watch the knicks play), perimeter shooting, and less turnovers. Thats 3 critical aspects of his game that have all improved in the last 4 seasons.

JerseyPalahniuk
12-25-2013, 02:31 PM

Improved post play (if you think he rarely posts up then you clearly dont watch the knicks play), perimeter shooting, and less turnovers. Thats 3 critical aspects of his game that have all improved in the last 4 seasons.

no response to Tre's comment?

WadeKobe
12-25-2013, 04:01 PM
I have watched every knicks game this year and I can say that we are missing more open shots than last year. So his apg should be slightly higher. It would be even higher but Melo is still a selfish player in 90% of games...

I remember in the offseason my exact words were that you replaced the minutes (and therefore shots) of efficien shooters (Kidd, Novak) with inefficient shooters (MWP, Bargs, Felton), and Melo and JR were unlikely to sustain their career highs from last year.

Meaning, simply, a lot of shots that went in last year are goin to go in with less frequency this year, leading to less wins.

Which is why I said, before the season began that you were not a playoff team and were at best a .500 team.

I got torn apart for it. Hmm.

WadeKobe
12-25-2013, 04:05 PM

PER is a crappy statistic which goes up the more you shoot. He had a career year last year Bc he shot efficiently and took more shots than ever before.

RAPM and Wins Produced both said he actually wasn't that great last year, but it was instead par for the course.

Minimal
12-25-2013, 04:22 PM
That means he doesn't set them up good or his passes are so out of target that after each pass the guys can't make a shot, because they receive the ball out of rhythm. In other words, either Melo is bad a drawing defences and setting the guys up or he is just a bad passer.

thekmp211
12-25-2013, 04:55 PM

72% of his shots this season have been jumpers for an eFG% of .424. last season, it was 74% for an eFG% of .487. the season before that it was 71% for an eFG% of .41. the year before that it was 74% for an eFG% of .458. you have to go back to 09/10, where only 63% of his shots were jumpers, to find a year where the difference in his shot selection is statistically relevant. and he shot 41% of those jumpers. so, besides last season when i admit he got white hot for a stretch towards the latter part of the season, where are these improvements? i will give you the decrease in turnovers, but every other claim is dubious at best and it's pretty easy to see if you watch the team play.

WadeKobe
12-25-2013, 05:36 PM
That means he doesn't set them up good or his passes are so out of target that after each pass the guys can't make a shot, because they receive the ball out of rhythm. In other words, either Melo is bad a drawing defences and setting the guys up or he is just a bad passer.

No. The information on its own in no way leads you to this interpretation of the cause.