PDA

View Full Version : Doc Rivers Had Completely Changed The Clippers Makeup

Clippersfan86
12-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Was going through some team stats and was shocked at just how different this team is compared to last year. For example the Achilles Heel of Vinny's team was always 3 point defense. Where they ranked 28th over 3 years. This year? 1st ranked 3 point defense.

Blake and DJ who many thought couldn't work have been the best starting big tandem in the league statistically. They are now the defensive anchors of the 6th best defense in the NBA.

Factor in major injury problems all year, brutal schedule, most games/road games in leagueand it's pretty impressive.

Are you impressed at what Doc has done in just a short amount of time?

WES KOAST
12-22-2013, 10:52 PM
impressed? no.

cp3 and griffin aren't championship level.

beasted86
12-22-2013, 11:00 PM
"Completely Changed The Clippers Makeup"

Clippers 2012-2013 NBA season finish: 4th seed
Clippers 2012-2013 record as of December 22nd: 20-6

Clippers 2013-2014 NBA current seed: 4th seed
Clippers 2013-2014 record as of December 22nd: 19-9

:shrug:
#moreuselessthreads

Clippersfan86
12-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Beasted makeup of the team has nothing to do with record. It has to do with completely different strengths and weaknesses. Although 17 of the first 22 games were against playoff teams and we have been down key guys all year, so record is deceiving/irrelevant. I'm saying the same cliches can't be applied, as I expected. This team loves halfcourt offense and perimeter D. A lot to prove but something to ponder.

13-3 vs the west, league best number of wins/percentage of wins vs .500 or better opponents. Scary to think about the potential at full strength.

beasted86
12-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Beasted makeup of the team has nothing to do with record. It has to do with completely different strengths and weaknesses. Although 17 of the first 22 games were against playoff teams and we have been down key guys all year, so record is deceiving/irrelevant. I'm saying the same cliches can't be applied, as I expected. This team loves halfcourt offense and perimeter D. A lot to prove but something to ponder.

13-3 vs the west, league best number of wins/percentage of wins vs .500 or better opponents. Scary to think about the potential at full strength.

I don't understand the point of this thread then. If you want to discuss a change in playing style that doesn't result in improved results then this truly is a waste of a thread. Its the same as me going to start a thread about how the Sixers have a whole new makeup. With Doug Collins they were a losing team that had one of the slowest paces in the league, and they didn't move the ball and were one of the last teams in crashing the offensive glass. And now with MCW and they are number 1 in pace and have a PG who is moving the ball and they are above average in offensive rebounds.... oh yeah, but they are actually worse than last season. But don't worry, their "makeup" is all new, so its worth discussing in the NBA forum.

.... going to start that thread now.

Clippersfan86
12-22-2013, 11:47 PM
Charles Barkley level analysis there, great work. Ever hear of the word context? Considering the SIGNIFICANT increase in difficulty over last seasons first 30 games, you can't simplify it to wins and losses. Taking on a new system, posting a better SRS through this many games, with a significantly harder schedule makes it different. Last year our opening 30 games were a cakewalk compared to this.

SMH!
12-22-2013, 11:52 PM
"Completely Changed The Clippers Makeup"

Clippers 2012-2013 NBA season finish: 4th seed
Clippers 2012-2013 record as of December 22nd: 20-6

Clippers 2013-2014 NBA current seed: 4th seed
Clippers 2013-2014 record as of December 22nd: 19-9

:shrug:
#moreuselessthreads

/endthread

Clippersfan86
12-23-2013, 12:02 AM
Also who thought DJ would be a 10/13/2.5/1 player this year? Doc completely changed the guy. Same for Griffin skillset wise.

tredigs
12-23-2013, 12:44 AM
Was going through some team stats and was shocked at just how different this team is compared to last year. For example the Achilles Heel of Vinny's team was always 3 point defense. Where they ranked 28th over 3 years. This year? 1st ranked 3 point defense.

Blake and DJ who many thought couldn't work have been the best starting big tandem in the league statistically. They are now the defensive anchors of the 6th best defense in the NBA.

Factor in major injury problems all year, brutal schedule, most games/road games in leagueand it's pretty impressive.

Are you impressed at what Doc has done in just a short amount of time?

Interestingly they're actually playing/getting-crushed-by the best statistical 4/5 on their home court right now.

TheMightyHumph
12-23-2013, 01:17 AM
I don't understand the point of this thread then. If you want to discuss a change in playing style that doesn't result in improved results then this truly is a waste of a thread. Its the same as me going to start a thread about how the Sixers have a whole new makeup. With Phil Collins they were a losing team that had one of the slowest paces in the league, and they didn't move the ball and were one of the last teams in crashing the offensive glass. And now with MCW and they are number 1 in pace and have a PG who is moving the ball and they are above average in offensive rebounds.... oh yeah, but they are actually worse than last season. But don't worry, their "makeup" is all new, so its worth discussing in the NBA forum.

.... going to start that thread now.

With Phil Collins, drummer/singer for Genesis coaching the Sixers, what hope did they have?

Clippersfan86
12-23-2013, 01:29 AM
Tre if you don't value defense sure. Love and Pek are both significantly worse on that end. Although say they are even top 5, better than most expected.

Riodagoat
12-23-2013, 01:58 AM
We should all bookmark this thread so we can come back and have a good laugh when the Clippers get eliminated in the first round again.

naps
12-23-2013, 02:31 AM
No, I am not impressed. I won't be until they go really deep into the post-season. I don't see how it's a "completely changed makeup" here. Any change that translate into wins is a change that matters. It's not like they are running away with the best record or something. Another typical "Hail the Clippers" thread by the OP.

Sadds The Gr8
12-23-2013, 02:34 AM
No, I am not impressed. I won't be until they go really deep into the post-season. I don't see how it's a "completely changed makeup" here. Any change that translate into wins is a change that matters. It's not like they are running away with the best record or something. Another typical "Hail the Clippers" thread by the OP.

i actually agree with this guy for once

FlashBolt
12-23-2013, 02:42 AM
If you think Blake is going to be leading this team along cp3, you are nuts. They are another first or second round exit. My thunder would make little work of them.

Chronz
12-23-2013, 02:50 AM
Charles Barkley level analysis there, great work. Ever hear of the word context? Considering the SIGNIFICANT increase in difficulty over last seasons first 30 games, you can't simplify it to wins and losses. Taking on a new system, posting a better SRS through this many games, with a significantly harder schedule makes it different. Last year our opening 30 games were a cakewalk compared to this.

Solid rebuttal but whats the difference in our srs or pt diff thus far?

And its impressive that we are improving defensively, last year our success was something of a mirage in that our trapping style was exposed as irrelevant by teams that could move the ball aka playoff teams. More easily exposed in a series.

Without reddick and barnes makes it exiting to think about the future, for sure

beasted86
12-23-2013, 11:32 AM
With Phil Collins, drummer/singer for Genesis coaching the Sixers, what hope did they have?

Lmao... Nice catch of my total brain dead moment. Haha.

beasted86
12-23-2013, 11:36 AM

Exactly my point.

waveycrockett
12-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Not impressed by his performance. Clips were supposed to be an elite team.

beasted86
12-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Interestingly they're actually playing/getting-crushed-by the best statistical 4/5 on their home court right now.

Another false homer point by OP. T'Wolves are clearly the best statistical 4/5 combo in the league, not the Clippers.

This guy just makes up tons of useless thoughts, ideas and opinions to use it as a means of justifying starting a thread about the Clippers.

Clippersfan86
12-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Beasted you calling out my logic while using 1 game as a statement is laughable. You guys bring up defense when it's convenient, but completely disregard it otherwise. Pek nd Love are superior offensively and inferior on D by a longshot. At worst Clippers have been top 3 as a starting bigman duo, which doesn't change the premise of my point.

Clippersfan86
12-23-2013, 12:25 PM
Chronz I can't find the article. SRS difference I think was 1, differential similar. But as I said this year against far superior schedule.

beasted86
12-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Beasted you calling out my logic while using 1 game as a statement is laughable. You guys bring up defense when it's convenient, but completely disregard it otherwise. Pek nd Love are superior offensively and inferior on D by a longshot. At worst Clippers have been top 3 as a starting bigman duo, which doesn't change the premise of my point.

You might want to fact check your made up facts. Wolves have been solid defensively this year.

Yes, Jordan kills Pek defensively, but Griffin barely beats out Love. You are also comparing an 8th ranked Clippers defense vs. an 11th Timberwolves. The end point is your original comment was clearly inaccurate.

YoungOne
12-23-2013, 12:49 PM
missing role players are major injury problems?
blake/dj played all games, cp3 missed one

missing guys like reddick and bench guys is a problem every team has...

Clippersfan86
12-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Beasted hell no Love isn't there with Griffin on D. There is a pretty significant gap. Nevermind that he has two extra years of NBA experience and is supposedly the smarter, more fundamental player.

Clippersfan86
12-23-2013, 01:05 PM
YYoung have you watched the Clippers at all this year? Redick is putting up 16 or 17 ppg and is the X Factor piece that makes the offensive schemes possible. He's far more valuable to the Clippers than a "role player" usually is, plus he's a strter. Barnes has been out all year too and is our best bench player arguably along with Crawford. Considering Dudley has played all year with a knee injury, it's easy to see how bad that would hurt.

Rookie Reggie Bullock was finally getting a role and got going when his injury happened too. Sure every team gets injuries. Not every team gets this many key injuries while integrating a new offense/defense, 8 new players (two starters) AND playing an insane schedule.

b@llhog24
12-23-2013, 01:15 PM
The return

YoungOne
12-23-2013, 01:21 PM
still the team has his 3 best players playing.

every team has injuries to guys compared to redick, not just the clippers

ManningToTyree
12-23-2013, 01:30 PM
OMG there is a clippers forum dude

Chronz
12-23-2013, 02:18 PM
missing role players are major injury problems?
blake/dj played all games, cp3 missed one

missing guys like reddick and bench guys is a problem every team has...

What teams do you speak of? Are they holding up as well as the Clips? You underrate the importance of Reddick and his shooting.

Beasted hell no Love isn't there with Griffin on D. There is a pretty significant gap. Nevermind that he has two extra years of NBA experience and is supposedly the smarter, more fundamental player.

T'wolves have been pretty good defensively, what makes you so sure they are far better?

Mr.SmackYoMama
12-23-2013, 02:42 PM
Homerism at it's finest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blahblahyoutoo
12-23-2013, 02:45 PM

it means nothing if at the end of the season, they don't get deeper in the playoffs than they did last year.
I don't believe blake/cp3 are championship material.

blahblahyoutoo
12-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Homerism at it's finest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

look at who started the thread.
/shocked face

Teeboy1487
12-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Always knew those flopping wussies wore makeup.

kdspurman
12-23-2013, 04:46 PM
Always knew those flopping wussies wore makeup.

:laugh2: well played.

kylem4711
12-23-2013, 05:20 PM
simmer down there clippersfan86. all this thread did was create more hate for a team that is already hated enough. The team has a lot to improve on, but i am pretty happy with where they are right now. i am fully prepared to rub it in PSDs face if the clippers go far in the playoffs. until then though, we shouldn't be THAT confident.

Clippersfan86
12-23-2013, 05:54 PM
Thing is I'm not projecting what they will do, putting down other teams or even saying they are better than anybody. I'm just pointing out how massive the impact of Doc has been. Halfcourt offense woes look like a thing of the past. Perimeter D is 10 fold better. Blake and DJ look like a championship caliber bigman duo. Not expecting praise for the team as much as opinions of the changes we have seen.

tredigs
12-23-2013, 06:14 PM
Problem with Deandre and the playoffs is that his FT shooting is below the NBA Mendoza line from the stripe and a team like Golden State or San Antonio will make them pay for that probably from the 7 to 2 minute mark in the playoffs in any game they think he's having a large impact and/or the Celtics offense is rolling. No defensive anchor down the stretch could be an issue. Though like I mentioned in the other thread, I think his defensive impact is probably overstated right now. Opponents are shooting 54% at the rim against him, compared to say 47% against Al Horford or Miles Plumlee, 44% against Bogut and Ibaka, and 41% against Hibbert.

astrosmaniac
12-23-2013, 06:32 PM
What teams do you speak of? Are they holding up as well as the Clips? You underrate the importance of Reddick and his shooting.

T'wolves have been pretty good defensively, what makes you so sure they are far better?

The Rockets for one

Jarvo
12-23-2013, 06:32 PM
We know The Clippers can go in the reg season, Playoffs is a different story.

SluggeR
12-23-2013, 06:34 PM
The Clippers will become more dangerous once they are able to run Doc's system in their sleep; like the way the spurs players run pops system. The spurs run their system at a high level every night and if a team is able to match their level, it seems that they are able to up as many notches needed to defeat that team (most teams anyway).

My issues with the Clippers: (1.) They have Reddick & Dudley on the perimeter. Both are good shooters and Reddick offensively immolates Ray Allen pretty well. It would be lovely if Reddick & Dudley were just key pieces to the Clippers, but they are main pieces to the Clippers success. The two of them just can't match-up athletically on the perimeter against the elite teams. The only way the Clippers are going to be able to get away with them being main pieces is if Blake is able to take his game to a super star level, especially during the playoffs & Crawford is able to do his best Manu impersonation..I'm not worried about what CP3 will bring to the table. (2.) Revolves around whether Blake can take his game to another notch. Blake is good don't get me wrong, but if the Clips stand a chance..Blake has to be a super star..every night. Blakes playoff showings have been very disappointing and I don't want to hear about injuries. Blake is one of only three Clippers that can get his shot any time he wants and he needs to learn to be more assertive..

Clippersfan86
12-23-2013, 07:14 PM
Blake just won his second player of the week award this year. Is there any doubt he's evolving? This week he shot 35-40 from the line which is like 88 percent. Tre Doc has made DJ's FT shooting a non issue with fantastic offense for defense late game subbing. If DJ is our only FT shooting liability now, we will be just fine.

smith&wesson
12-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Clipps need some better wings if they want to get serious about contending.

tredigs
12-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Blake just won his second player of the week award this year. Is there any doubt he's evolving? This week he shot 35-40 from the line which is like 88 percent. Tre Doc has made DJ's FT shooting a non issue with fantastic offense for defense late game subbing. If DJ is our only FT shooting liability now, we will be just fine.

Blake's been great lately for sure. Doc can try to manipulate it to play damage control, but if it starts a bit earlier in the 4th (primarily in games where the opposition isn't in foul trouble) then it could be a real issue. You only have so many stoppages and T/O's to capitalize on. But overall I do like what I'm seeing from them from a development standpoint.

kylem4711
12-23-2013, 08:51 PM

I get your pumped about the team, but u can't really think DJs free throw percentage is a non-issue, right?

Cracka2HI!
12-23-2013, 08:54 PM
I think people who make posts about these topics not being relevant in most of CF86's threads can just give it a rest. There is no Clipper forum here. The powers that be at PSD have left a TM who hasn't posted in the Clipper forum in probably 2 years as the TM. I suggested many times that all these types of posts be moved to Clipper forum. If the powers that be at PSD wanted a more active Clipper forum that they could move these posts to they could easily do it. A TM or Mod that views the forum couldn't hurt. Like it or not these threads are relevant in the NBA forum unless the mods do something to change that.

As for the topic. I don't want to get too excited, just like I didn't want to get too down on the team during the 1st 25 or so games. The team is on a nice 5 game winning streak where they look great. It's not that much to be excited about. That said these 5 games have been the 1st time I thought the team looked like it could possibly compete for a Championship.

Chronz
12-24-2013, 04:22 AM
The Rockets for one

Agreed. Another team that has tremendous room for growth.

Chronz
12-24-2013, 04:23 AM
The Clippers will become more dangerous once they are able to run Doc's system in their sleep; like the way the spurs players run pops system. The spurs run their system at a high level every night and if a team is able to match their level, it seems that they are able to up as many notches needed to defeat that team (most teams anyway).

My issues with the Clippers: (1.) They have Reddick & Dudley on the perimeter. Both are good shooters and Reddick offensively immolates Ray Allen pretty well. It would be lovely if Reddick & Dudley were just key pieces to the Clippers, but they are main pieces to the Clippers success. The two of them just can't match-up athletically on the perimeter against the elite teams. The only way the Clippers are going to be able to get away with them being main pieces is if Blake is able to take his game to a super star level, especially during the playoffs & Crawford is able to do his best Manu impersonation..I'm not worried about what CP3 will bring to the table. (2.) Revolves around whether Blake can take his game to another notch. Blake is good don't get me wrong, but if the Clips stand a chance..Blake has to be a super star..every night. Blakes playoff showings have been very disappointing and I don't want to hear about injuries. Blake is one of only three Clippers that can get his shot any time he wants and he needs to learn to be more assertive..
Definitely. Well said

Clippersfan86
12-24-2013, 05:36 AM
Kyle not saying DJ's FT shooting isn't an issue. Just sying Doc has learned to control the damage with good subbing. Every team has 1-2 FT shooting liabilities. I don't see it costing us a playoff series or anything. Teams that exploit hack a Shaq a ton like SA/GS may hurt us some.

sep11ie
12-24-2013, 06:21 AM
OP tries hard...real hard... and often.

Chrisclover
12-24-2013, 09:13 AM
DJs rebounding ability is so amazing .I didnt find this until i checked the Rebound ranking just now

todu82
12-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I think they're a good team but I think they're still missing something. Hopefully they'll find it soon or it'll be another early playoff exit for them.

Corey
12-24-2013, 11:18 AM
Also who thought DJ would be a 10/13/2.5/1 player this year? Doc completely changed the guy. Same for Griffin skillset wise.

He completely changed DJ?

Last season, Jordan averaged 13/11/2blk 64% per 36 minutes last year. This year, per36, he is averaging 10/13/2 on 64% shooting.

Gosh what an amazing difference thanks to Doc.

DJ is just playing more minutes.

5ass
12-24-2013, 11:29 AM

Last season, Jordan averaged 13/11/2blk 64% per 36 minutes last year. This year, per36, he is averaging 10/13/2 on 64% shooting.

but major diff in patience and attitude on the court.

Corey
12-24-2013, 11:34 AM
but major diff in patience and attitude on the court.

Same amount of fouls per 36 minutes. Same amount of turnovers per 36 minutes. Same block percentages. Same assist percentages. Same output.

So he smiles more and has better body language? So what? He's producing at the same rate and his team has the same exact record as last year...slightly worse actually.

5ass
12-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Same amount of fouls per 36 minutes. Same amount of turnovers per 36 minutes. Same block percentages. Same assist percentages. Same output.

So he smiles more and has better body language? So what? He's producing at the same rate and his team has the same exact record as last year...slightly worse actually.

He's communicating much better on D, and he helps organize the defense.
He doesnt smile more, in fact he gets pissed everytime his team allows a bucket, and holds some players accountable.

Corey
12-24-2013, 12:51 PM
He's communicating much better on D, and he helps organize the defense.
He doesnt smile more, in fact he gets pissed everytime his team allows a bucket, and holds some players accountable.

The Clippers team defense is ranked in the same exact position that it was last season league wide.

5ass
12-24-2013, 01:07 PM
The Clippers team defense is ranked in the same exact position that it was last season league wide.

Thats irrelevant given the different factors at play. You should give the stats argument a rest, all you need to do is watch one game from last season, and one game from this season and you will see proof.

Corey
12-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Please explain how it's irrelevant

The Clippers are the same team they were last year.

5ass
12-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Like I said, different factors at play there.
I disagree, but I really have no proof other from what I can see (which is pretty obvious IMO). I'll let Clippers fans confirm/deny what I'm saying and provide proof if they can.

Clippersfan86
12-24-2013, 01:30 PM
5ass you're correct, Corey is flat out misinformed and ignorant on this topic. If you think the Clippers are the same team I question if you've watched a single game. 5ass like you said DJ's biggest leap is mental/leadership. Using PER 36 to sum up something like thiw... is for a lack of a better word, dumb.

Last year DJ was insanely inconsistent, mentally weak and absent minded. This year he's our most vocal player, shouting as often as KG on D. He's just a different animal.

Do more minutes have a lot to do with it? Yes. But so does Doc improving his confidence tremendously, same with Blake. If you take away the 7 game road trip where we lost Redick and Blake started seeing way more doubles... Blake would be at 24/11/4 right now. Skillset wise most agree he's having a career year. He's shooting better from midrange than Duncan, Millsap, Love etc.

Clippersfan86
12-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Corey the very least you can do is look at the opening 2 month schedule this year compared to last. Heavy road schedule, tons of hard teams. Wins against Warriors, Grizzlies, Spurs, Thunder, Rockets 2x, Wolves 3x, Bulls. Severely shorthanded but lost by just 4 to Pacers, 5 to Heat.

The Clippers have the leagues best record against the west and .500 teams as I said earlier. In fact 5 of our 9 losses were against lotto teams tihe team mistakenly took lightly. Only 4 "good" teams have beaten the Clips. Thunder, Grizzlies, Pacers, Heat.

blahblahyoutoo
12-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Corey the very least you can do is look at the opening 2 month schedule this year compared to last. Heavy road schedule, tons of hard teams. Wins against Warriors, Grizzlies, Spurs, Thunder, Rockets 2x, Wolves 3x, Bulls. Severely shorthanded but lost by just 4 to Pacers, 5 to Heat.

The Clippers have the leagues best record against the west and .500 teams as I said earlier. In fact 5 of our 9 losses were against lotto teams tihe team mistakenly took lightly. Only 4 "good" teams have beaten the Clips. Thunder, Grizzlies, Pacers, Heat.

so when you lose to bad teams, you describe it as taking them lightly.
there's a word for this. it's called "spin".

Corey
12-24-2013, 09:59 PM
I watch plenty. The Clippers are one of my league pass always-watch teams. I've seen a good portion of all but two games.

Chronz
12-25-2013, 12:21 AM
Please explain how it's irrelevant

The Clippers are the same team they were last year.

Pay no attention to the " you dont watch the game" jibber jabber the defeatist rely on, use the very same stats to gauge how they've won and the type of comp they've been playing. SRS is better through this span. I get that you need to see a larger sample, but the point these guys are trying to make is that Doc has made this a better "playoff team", hes willing to lose a few games so long as the guys learn from it. Last year we were basically playing playoff ball the entire year only in ways that typically dont translate into the post season (hockey style bench subs and a gambling style of defense). Contextually, this year we are without Reddick as opposed to with Bledsoe.

Our defensive rankings may be the same as last year but thats just in the aggregate, we were actually pretty awful the last few months of the season and the strength of the defense was primarily a result of our bench play, this year our starting 5 is the backbone of our defense. That stuff matters.

Chronz
12-25-2013, 12:24 AM
so when you lose to bad teams, you describe it as taking them lightly.
there's a word for this. it's called "spin".
Yeah dont get me started with him doing that, irrelevant factoids aside you cannot deny he has a point about the team improving in ways that matter more come post season.

Chronz
12-25-2013, 03:27 PM
Zach Lowe on why he ranks the Clips 3rd best in the West.

The Clips are seventh in points allowed per 100 possessions, and unlike last season, this isn't some bench-powered mirage — or even just a Redick-related thing, as some feared in the first week or so after his injury. The Clips have allowed 100.4 points per 100 possessions when Griffin and DeAndre Jordan share the floor, almost identical to their very solid overall mark.

Like I said, even if the stats are identical, its better when the defensive contributions are coming from the starters, you know, the guys who will be playing come playoffs.

Cracka2HI!
12-26-2013, 11:24 PM

The reason he is improved as a player is not that he is playing more minutes. It's because of his ability to stay on the floor. He was always productive when he was in the game he just wasn't able to stay on the floor. There were a few factors; foul trouble, not being coachable and having a poor attitude. So even if his per minutes stats are the same Doc has improved him greatly as a player because he is able to play big time minutes now. Trust me he wasn't good enough to play 35 minutes a game last season. Not even close.