PDA

View Full Version : Larry Bird in the 2013-2014 NBA

TheBigChief
12-21-2013, 12:44 AM
Terrible athlete (no vertical, speed, etc.) average strength. I will admit his shot was A1 but so is Kyle Korvers....

My question is, in your guys' opinion, (age 25 and older please, otherwise you probably have no clue what you're talking about, and even 25 is a stretch) how do you think Larry Legend would fair in todays game??? Keep in mind the players are much more athletic imo and he would be guarded by players like Lebron, PG, Deng, Iggy, Tony Allen, KD, etc.

I can't help but think he would be simular to a Kyle Korver/Mike Miller esque player...

But I'll gladly admit I don't know everything, I'm not a professional basketball analyst, so I could be wrong, but what are your thoughts on what Larry's stat line would like like in todays game???

My personal opinion is in his prime if he were to play today he would put up

14/15 ppg 5/6 rpg and 3 apg

WES KOAST
12-21-2013, 12:50 AM
he would still be awesome, don't know if he would be leading the league in scoring but dude would def be ballin in todays game.

fundamentals of basketball never change, bird was so crafty, his bball IQ would more than compensate for his lack of speed or athleticism.

WES KOAST
12-21-2013, 12:52 AM
and please don't bring up korver's name in the same sentence with bird. bird will always be a legend and go down as one of the greatest ever.

naps
12-21-2013, 12:57 AM
Ban this guy.

DreamShaker
12-21-2013, 12:59 AM
Dude was MUCH more than a shooter. And Bird was super strong. He would own the NBA just like he did in the 80's. Look at guys like Nash, Dirk, and Kevin Love...skill and smarts still cut it.

TheBigChief
12-21-2013, 01:03 AM
Ban this guy.

lmao, this dude is mad cuz i treated um like a punk on a different thread.....

quit actin like this thread is some outta-this-world concept.....larrys old 12in vertical, 6.8 40yd dash time havin *** would get shut down more often than not, GUARANTEED

Chicaaago
12-21-2013, 01:05 AM
Terrible athlete (no vertical, speed, etc.) average strength. I will admit his shot was A1 but so is Kyle Korvers....

My question is, in your guys' opinion, (age 25 and older please, otherwise you probably have no clue what you're talking about, and even 25 is a stretch) how do you think Larry Legend would fair in todays game??? Keep in mind the players are much more athletic imo and he would be guarded by players like Lebron, PG, Deng, Iggy, Tony Allen, KD, etc.

I can't help but think he would be simular to a Kyle Korver/Mike Miller esque player...

But I'll gladly admit I don't know everything, I'm not a professional basketball analyst, so I could be wrong, but what are your thoughts on what Larry's stat line would like like in todays game???

My personal opinion is in his prime if he were to play today he would put up

14/15 ppg 5/6 rpg and 3 apg

The NBA is filled with players that are much more athletic, but combine NBA talent with skills and fundamentals that many in today's game lack almost completely and I think it's a moot point. If you have the fundamentals you can be a step ahead of your opponent if you are armed with the scoring ability Bird possessed. Also did you see Bird's game? He wasn't athletic, but he wasn't Aaron Gray out there. Plus, dude was just money and about 1 of like 3 dudes in his era that would talk and back up his talk all day long. Best player on the second best team of his era, only topped by the Showtime Lakers...had those two teams not been rivals either of them had the potential to run the table on that decade...and you mention Kyle Korver lol come on man, Kyle Korver can shoot, but he isn't tough and doesn't play anything like Bird.

His numbers wouldn't suffer and I actually think he'd be an even more efficient scorer getting to the line even more.

jaydubb
12-21-2013, 01:07 AM
Ban this guy.

:nod:

On a serious note i think if anything Larry would be better in today's game tbh.. Most players don't pride themselves on being great at defense anymore. There was no flopping, no ticky tack fouls back then that give the ball handler the advantage, if a PG would come into the paint the center would put him on his azz.. Think of Paul pierce, dudes athletic ability left him YEARS ago, but what kept him at the top of his game so long(up until this year of course) was the fundamentals.. Larry bird is Mr fundamental and would succeed just based off that imo

Hawkeye15
12-21-2013, 01:13 AM
25/8/5. Battling KD for 2nd best player in the game.

Cal827
12-21-2013, 01:52 AM
Ban this guy.

:clap:

FlashBolt
12-21-2013, 01:52 AM
He reminds me a lot like Dirk but quicker and a bit more athletic. I think he'd be a top 5 but to put him over James? James would run circles around him. Bird lacked athleticism and the league has never been more athletic. I can see Bird having a tougher time.

beasted86
12-21-2013, 01:54 AM

quit actin like this thread is some outta-this-world concept.....larrys old 12in vertical, 6.8 40yd dash time havin *** would get shut down more often than not, GUARANTEED

Hard to take you seriously with troll-like comments like this.

If Dirk Nowitzki dominates offensively, what is to keep Bird from doing even worse damage?

In today's league Bird simply terrorizes these guys the same way he did back then.

TheBigChief
12-21-2013, 01:54 AM
He reminds me a lot like Dirk but quicker and a bit more athletic. I think he'd be a top 5 but to put him over James? James would run circles around him. Bird lacked athleticism and the league has never been more athletic. I can see Bird having a tougher time.

smartest post yet

TheBigChief
12-21-2013, 01:55 AM
Hard to take you seriously with troll-like comments like this.

If Dirk Nowitzki dominates offensively, what is to keep Bird from doing even worse damage?

In today's league Bird simply terrorizes these guys the same way he did back then.

it's called exaggeration, erkel....and bird would "terrorize" lebron? gtfoh

and dirk is 7ft larry was 6'9'' AND dirk stroke way nicer than larry, dirk woulda had multiple mvps back in larry day

beasted86
12-21-2013, 02:06 AM

and dirk is 7ft larry was 6'9'' AND dirk stroke way nicer than larry, dirk woulda had multiple mvps back in larry day

What is the point of making this thread? Anyone with half a brain can see you're a zit-faced teenager who never watched a single live game of Larry Bird. You're wasting everyone's time here with your attention seeking boorish nonsense.

naps
12-21-2013, 02:09 AM

You treated me like what? Here is your post where you realized you were immature and were flaming because i expressed my opinion. You acted like a 9 year old in your previous two posts (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?848442-Rose-No-Longer-Humble-Hometown-Kid&p=27650315#post27650315)

Anyways, I give you 2 weeks at max. Enjoy your short life on PSD.

bmd1101
12-21-2013, 02:16 AM

He would probably be in better shape in todays NBA, but his thug days would be over using current rules. If his condition was the same I think he would get abused on defense but he could still score at or near what he did. I'm 34 FWIW.

hidalgo
12-21-2013, 02:57 AM

and dirk is 7ft larry was 6'9'' AND dirk stroke way nicer than larry, dirk woulda had multiple mvps back in larry daywell you got all the answers & know it all don't you, so why make the thread asking? it's settled, Bird was maybe as good as Kyle Korver in your mind. you won't listen to anyone, so that's it

my opinion is he'd be just as good as he was, put up the same numbers or a tad better because the rules favor offensive 1 on 1 scoring more now(no handchecking, defensive 3 secs). and yes I know you know everything, so don't bother saying no, we already know you know it all

jaydubb
12-21-2013, 03:18 AM
Anybody else notice this guys just trolling..

TheBigChief
12-21-2013, 04:08 AM
Anybody else notice this guys just trolling..

aint no trollin about it brother, i asked a question and some of u little psd "lifers" aka **** with no girlfriends, started talkin **** about ban this dude

ban me for what? for having a different opinion on a sports topic? i aint never met u bro but i can tell youre like 5'4'' you just talk like an insecure nerd...its sports, at the end of the day who gives a ****????

TheBigChief
12-21-2013, 04:13 AM
What is the point of making this thread? Anyone with half a brain can see you're a zit-faced teenager who never watched a single live game of Larry Bird. You're wasting everyone's time here with your attention seeking boorish nonsense.

im wasting your time??? lmao youve replied to this thread like 6 times already lol youve accounted for like 48% of this thread activity, youre a grown man (i think) if you dont like what u see then gtfoh

attention seeking?? are u mentally challenged? how the **** am i seeking attention by asking a question about basketball in the basketball forum on a sports site?? smack yourself ******

a zit faced teenager? lol wtf does that even mean? youre reaching bro

PowerHouse
12-21-2013, 04:35 AM

I cant help but have qualms over the fact that you just compared Larry Legend to Korver. Korver never has or ever will have to deal with the defensive attention that Larry had to deal with, and still clowned people on a daily basis. Teams would plan their entire defensive scheme around trying to stop Larry and would be embarrassed almost every time. And I havent even mentioned that yes, Larry could create his own shot and had a back to the basket game, both are fundamentals that Korver could only dream about having.

naps
12-21-2013, 05:33 AM
All his posts have only one thing written all over them: "I ain't about this PSD life, please BAN me ASAP!"

I wonder whose dupe is this...

Rush
12-21-2013, 06:28 AM
You're a dupe. Closing this.