PDA

View Full Version : Italian players in the Nba.

PurpleLynch
12-20-2013, 05:46 PM
I'm italian and I had this thread on my mind for a while. So,what do you think of the four italian players in the NBA?

-Bargnani
-Gallinari
-Belinelli
-Datome(he doesn't even play,I doubt you know him lol)

TheMightyHumph
12-20-2013, 05:56 PM
I count Manu

metsrock229
12-20-2013, 05:59 PM
Gallinari was always one of my favorites before being traded. I like Bargs too

John Walls Era
12-20-2013, 06:02 PM
Pablo Prigioni is definitely Italian. Or at least his dad.

nycericanguy
12-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Gallo is the best, love that guy. Too bad he's always hurt.

Bargs has been solid, but he just doesn't seem to fit in personality wise in the NBA, and I think that hurts him. He's incredibly shy and I think it gives the impression that he doesn't care or try hard.

blahblahyoutoo
12-20-2013, 06:11 PM
coached by D'antoni.

SanAntonioSpurs23
12-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Marco has been awesome for the Spurs so far.

:laugh: Manu being Italian

AddiX
12-20-2013, 06:26 PM
Nm

beasted86
12-20-2013, 06:36 PM
PG: Reggie Jackson
SG: Marco Belinelli
SF: Luigi Datome
PF: Danilo Gallinari
C:: Andrea Bargnani

HC: Mike D'Antoni

Championship?

TheMightyHumph
12-20-2013, 06:40 PM

Why funny?

mdm692
12-20-2013, 07:21 PM
I'm italian and I had this thread on my mind for a while. So,what do you think of the four italian players in the NBA?

-Bargnani
-Gallinari
-Belinelli

Isn't he with the Pistons? And wasn't he supposed to be some kind of Euro-star?

Raps18-19 Champ
12-20-2013, 07:25 PM

His family is Italian and moved to Argentina. He was born in Argentina though. He has dual citizenship with Italy. So Italian descent.

TrueFan420
12-20-2013, 08:09 PM
His family is Italian and moved to Argentina. He was born in Argentina though. He has dual citizenship with Italy. So Italian descent.

No shlt never knew that thanks for the heads up

BHF
12-20-2013, 10:36 PM
Argentina is full of Italians and Germans.

TheMightyHumph
12-20-2013, 11:18 PM

I wonder why.

kingsdelez24
12-21-2013, 12:25 AM

I wonder why.

This is perfect

TheMightyHumph
12-21-2013, 12:28 AM
This is perfect

Thank you.

PurpleLynch
12-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Manu and Prigioni aren't italians,they were both born in Argentina. They descended from Italian immigrant in South America(a lot of italians migrated in both USA and South America during the first part of '900.The reason is obvious:to find a work).

PurpleLynch
12-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Isn't he with the Pistons? And wasn't he supposed to be some kind of Euro-star?

No he isn't,he just was the Mvp of serie A in Italy last year. In fact I still don't understand why Pistons got him. Maybe to have a deep rotation with a forward that can space the floor,but he doesn't get minutes.

force_within
12-22-2013, 10:02 AM
they're sexy, no homo.

John Walls Era
12-22-2013, 12:05 PM

Manu is definitely ethnic Italian.

So is Delfino.

PurpleLynch
12-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Manu is definitely ethnic Italian.

So is Delfino.

Yes,but it isn't the same thing. Delfino,Ginobili,Prigioni etc have italian origin,but they are not italians strictly speaking.

John Walls Era
12-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Yes,but it isn't the same thing. Delfino,Ginobili,Prigioni etc have italian origin,but they are not italians strictly speaking.

probably 3rd generation then.

its like if you're black or asian in america, you still call them african american or asian american.

TheMightyHumph
12-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Manu and Prigioni aren't italians,they were both born in Argentina. They descended from Italian immigrant in South America(a lot of italians migrated in both USA and South America during the first part of '900.The reason is obvious:to find a work).

Oh, there is another reason.

Vinny642
12-22-2013, 10:58 PM
Im Italian American.... born in America.... but have half Italian blood in me(my dads parents were both Italian)... so considering Manu Italian is correct

Abdul Mutalib
12-22-2013, 11:07 PM
PG: Reggie Jackson
SG: Marco Belinelli
SF: Luigi Datome
PF: Danilo Gallinari
C:: Andrea Bargnani

HC: Mike D'Antoni

Championship?

is reggie jackson italian or u just didnt have another italian?

Raps18-19 Champ
12-22-2013, 11:14 PM

Yes they are.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-22-2013, 11:15 PM
is reggie jackson italian or u just didnt have another italian?

He was born in Italy and holds dual citizenship I think.

DreamShaker
12-23-2013, 03:04 AM

-Bargnani
-Gallinari
-Belinelli

Saw Datome a little against the Rockets. He looks like he may be able to play.

PurpleLynch
12-23-2013, 08:32 AM
Yes they are.

Maybe I didn't explain myself well. If a chinese was born in USA and acquires american citizenship,he's american anyway and not chinese(just chinese origins). Same thing for Prigioni,Manu etc. No one of them holds dual citizenship,just Reggie Jackson. That's way I used "strictly speaken".

This will show you the complete list of italians Nba's player from the present and the past:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Italian_NBA_players

PurpleLynch
12-23-2013, 08:37 AM
probably 3rd generation then.

its like if you're black or asian in america, you still call them african american or asian american.

Yes,but that doesn't mean they are italians. They are americans with origins from Africa,Asia or in this case Italy. Hope someone will get what I'm trying to say,I'm italian so my english could be misleading.

PurpleLynch
12-23-2013, 08:39 AM
Saw Datome a little against the Rockets. He looks like he may be able to play.

Hope so,but he doesn't get minutes anyway :(

SPURSFAN1
12-23-2013, 10:36 AM
I would consider Manu Italian too.

TheMightyHumph
12-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Maybe I didn't explain myself well. If a chinese was born in USA and acquires american citizenship,he's american anyway and not chinese(just chinese origins). Same thing for Prigioni,Manu etc. No one of them holds dual citizenship,just Reggie Jackson. That's way I used "strictly speaken".

This will show you the complete list of italians Nba's player from the present and the past:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Italian_NBA_players

Manu holds dual citizenship, from what I've read.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-23-2013, 04:21 PM

He'd be a Chinese American. Manu is an Italian Argentine.

Manu does hold dual citizenship. Reggie Jackson declared his allegiance to USA as well.

PurpleLynch
12-24-2013, 11:39 AM
He'd be a Chinese American. Manu is an Italian Argentine.

Manu does hold dual citizenship. Reggie Jackson declared his allegiance to USA as well.

Yes,I was wrong,Manu has dual citizenship,like Reggie Jackson. But a chinese american is anyway an american unless he holds dual citizenship.

Deception
12-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Hope so,but he doesn't get minutes anyway :(

He looks good when he does play, he gets subbed in in the final seconds of a half and he'll knock down a shot when he hasn't played all game.

THE MTL
12-24-2013, 03:48 PM

Dont know if this is sarcasm but there is a bigger reason why Italians and especially Germans migrated specifically to Argentina during the first half of 1900s lol

Bruno
12-24-2013, 04:10 PM
if people of Italian descent born in america refer to themselves as italian then why can't manu? does he? i guess its different in america.

TheMightyHumph
12-24-2013, 04:44 PM
Dont know if this is sarcasm but there is a bigger reason why Italians and especially Germans migrated specifically to Argentina during the first half of 1900s lol

Things not to be mentioned

Raps18-19 Champ
12-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Yes,I was wrong,Manu has dual citizenship,like Reggie Jackson. But a chinese american is anyway an american unless he holds dual citizenship.

Yea, but they will still label themselves as Chinese American just because of their origins.

PurpleLynch
12-24-2013, 10:54 PM

No,it's not sarcasm. My great grandfather too migrated to find a job. The war obviously is another reason why a lot of people,mostly jewish,went to the Usa or South America. But after the war it wasn't fear,it was hunger that led to mass migrations(a lot also because they didn't want to stay in Italy with a fascist regime)

TheMightyHumph
12-24-2013, 11:02 PM
No,it's not sarcasm. My great grandfather too migrated to find a job. The war obviously is another reason why a lot of people,mostly jewish,went to the Usa or South America. But after the war it wasn't fear,it was hunger that led to mass migrations(a lot also because they didn't want to stay in Italy with a fascist regime)

Might it be possible that all the people that migrated from Germany and Italy didn't do it for the same reason as you have stated that your great-grandfather did.

Is it possible that some Italians (Fascists) and Germans (Nazis) fled to Argentina to escape having to pay for their WW2 war crimes?

Just asking.

TrueFan420
12-25-2013, 05:23 AM
if people of Italian descent born in america refer to themselves as italian then why can't manu? does he? i guess its different in america.

Its America anyone can refer to themselves as whatever they'd like. I don't know if manu refers to himself as Italian. Seeing as he has duel citizenship yet chose to play for Argentina I get the feeling that he views himself as Argentinian first. But pure speculation. Wish we could just ask but unfortunately we can't.

PurpleLynch
12-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Might it be possible that all the people that migrated from Germany and Italy didn't do it for the same reason as you have stated that your great-grandfather did.

Is it possible that some Italians (Fascists) and Germans (Nazis) fled to Argentina to escape having to pay for their WW2 war crimes?

Just asking.

There was a secret operation in Germany called ODESSA and it was a secret program to help high ranked SS and Nazi politicians to escape to south America or middle East. In Italy things were different,the resistance and the US army killed most of the high ranked fascists(even Mussolini),so no one escaped. Mussolini between the '20 and the '30 shipped italian mafia to USA though...another form of "migration" :)

TheMightyHumph
12-25-2013, 05:32 PM
There was a secret operation in Germany called ODESSA and it was a secret program to help high ranked SS and Nazi politicians to escape to south America or middle East. In Italy things were different,the resistance and the US army killed most of the high ranked fascists(even Mussolini),so no one escaped. Mussolini between the '20 and the '30 shipped italian mafia to USA though...another form of "migration" :)

The Vatican & Roman ratlines?

PurpleLynch
12-26-2013, 02:47 PM
The Vatican & Roman ratlines?

Yes,Odessa was a special project involving a ratline,but there were two types of ratline:Germany-Spain-Argentina and Germany-Rome-Genoa-Argentina.

TheMightyHumph
12-26-2013, 03:01 PM
Yes,Odessa was a special project involving a ratline,but there were two types of ratline:Germany-Spain-Argentina and Germany-Rome-Genoa-Argentina.

And no Italians fled the sinking ship?

PurpleLynch
12-26-2013, 03:40 PM
And no Italians fled the sinking ship?

The historical documents we have right now say no. Also,Italy was full of germans at the end of the war,since our army was literally disbanded by the order of our king(yes Mussolini was in charge,but formally we had also a monarch) and the Axis only defense was the rest of German army. So,our officials didn't have importance and most of them were killed. Also,we surrended immediatly in 1943. In fact any italian was at the Nuremberg Trials.

But there are a lot of documents that are being studied right now on the ratlines,so maybe some italians officers escaped,but I doubt it,they really didn't matter at all for the Nazis in charge of those escaping operations.