PDA

View Full Version : Top 7 players of the 80's.

DreamShaker
12-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Curious to see these lists. Was inspired by the 90's thread.

DreamShaker
12-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Mine would be, in semi-order:

Magic
Bird
Kareem
MJ
Moses
Isiah
Dr. J

Honorable:

Nique
Drexler
McHale
Moncrief
Karl Malone
Barkley
Sampson
Worthy
Parish
Dantley
English
Gervin
Ewing
King

jerellh528
12-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Damn, the 80's was bad ***.

DreamShaker
12-20-2013, 04:49 PM
Damn, the 80's was bad ***.

Oh yeah! A lot of guys coming up at the end transitioning into the 90's especially made it cool. Like a young Barkley playing on a team with Dr. J and Moses Malone eventually taking over as the star. I am a 90's guy, but going back and watching the 80's and catching the tail end of it was awesome. Those teams and players seemed to really despise each other as well, which made for true rivalries.

iDefend10
12-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Bird
Magic
Cap
Zeke
Moses
Dr. J
MJ

PurpleLynch
12-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Magic
Bird
Kaj
Thomas
Malone
Dr J
Mj(just because he was really young)

Hawkeye15
12-20-2013, 06:15 PM
did you know MJ had 4 of the top 5 win share seasons of the 80's? But, since he came in a bit later, I go

Magic
Bird
Jordan
Moses
KAJ
Barkley (look at his numbers the last 4 years of the 80's. Beast)

WadeKobe
12-20-2013, 06:19 PM
did you know MJ had 4 of the top 5 win share seasons of the 80's? But, since he came in a bit later, I go

Magic
Bird
Jordan
Moses
KAJ

Pretty good, but KAJ was already starting to decline pretty significantly by 82. It's hard to have him in there over guys who were highly productce but missed a few years.

My list goes:

Magic
Bird
Michael
Barkley
Moses
Dream
Drexler

Hawkeye15
12-20-2013, 07:59 PM
Pretty good, but KAJ was already starting to decline pretty significantly by 82. It's hard to have him in there over guys who were highly productce but missed a few years.

My list goes:

Magic
Bird
Michael
Barkley
Moses
Dream
Drexler

you dropped him for Drexler, who didn't have a single year in the 80's as impressive as KAJ did early. And Drexler, like KAJ, only got in half the decade at all star play. So I am not griping, just disagreeing.

Bruno
12-20-2013, 08:56 PM

Magic
Bird
Jordan
Moses
KAJ

exactly. he dominated the 80's too.

'84, Jordan- dominates the 80s personally, dominates the 90s in team success.
'92, Shaq- dominates the 90s personally, dominates the 00's in team success.
03, LBJ- dominates the 00s personally, dominates the 10s in team success thus far.

i think were onto something with this bridge player theory. being drafted at those given times in the decades allows these players to dominate on an individual level (and against the OLDER most respected soon to be HOF talent at the time), rack personal accolades- then win major championships as top dogs when the league is in a transition period? its seems to be a very nice template for finishing very high up in the all time rankings.

Hawkeye15
12-20-2013, 09:01 PM
exactly. he dominated the 80's too.

'84, Jordan- dominates the 80s personally, dominates the 90s in team success.
'92, Shaq- dominates the 90s personally, dominates the 00's in team success.
03, LBJ- dominates the 00s personally, dominates the 10s in team success thus far.

i think were onto something with this bridge player theory. being drafted at those given times in the decades allows these players to dominate on an individual level (and against the OLDER most respected soon to be HOF talent at the time), rack personal accolades- then win major championships as top dogs when the league is in a transition period? its seems to be a very nice template for finishing very high up in the all time rankings.

oh we agree. The bridge players sometimes get stuck in limbo and fall behind those they are clearly better than.

Bruno
12-20-2013, 09:59 PM
oh we agree. The bridge players sometimes get stuck in limbo and fall behind those they are clearly better than.

is anthony davis the next generations bridge player? '12 draftee, he's dominant now- will be dominate in the 20's as well.

Hawkeye15
12-20-2013, 10:00 PM
is anthony davis this generations bridge player? he's dominant now- will be dominate in 20's as well.

perhaps. Wiggins, Parker or Randle too.

bagwell368
12-20-2013, 10:01 PM
I have:

Magic
Bird
Moses
KAJ
MJ (no titles)
Dr J
Dantley

Close but no cigar: Barkley, Moncrief, McHale, Parish

Hawkeye15
12-20-2013, 10:03 PM
I have:

Magic
Bird
Moses
KAJ
MJ (no titles)
Dr J
Dantley

you are a stats guy. How do you have Dr J or Dantley over Chuck?

Bruno
12-20-2013, 10:06 PM
I have:

Magic
Bird
Moses
KAJ
MJ (no titles)
Dr J
Dantley

had boston won in '87 would Bird be ahead of Magic on your list?

Hawkeye15
12-20-2013, 10:07 PM

can't answer for Bags, but I still think Magic is over Bird if you switch that finals. Or 85'.

Hawkeye15
12-20-2013, 10:07 PM
and Bags, Parish? Cmon.

WadeKobe
12-20-2013, 10:08 PM
can't answer for Bags, but I still think Magic is over Bird if you switch that finals. Or 85'.

Yes. It really shouldn't even be debatable.

WadeKobe
12-20-2013, 10:09 PM
and Bags, Parish? Cmon.

Parish was very, very good. The only problem is having him in the conversation but not Drexler. What???

Hawkeye15
12-20-2013, 10:16 PM
Parish was very, very good. The only problem is having him in the conversation but not Drexler. What???

I would put Drexler above him too. Parish wasn't even a top 10 player in that decade, though I do love his shout outs to Dantley, and Moncrief. They just don't stand up to Barkley at all imo, nor does Dr J, whose one chip came in a pretty underwhelming fashion on his part.

bagwell368
12-20-2013, 10:17 PM

Maybe - strip off the titles and just go regular season from 1979-80 to 1989-90 and Bird has an edge IMO, but the rings tip it towards Magic. Either way 1 and 2 or 2 and 1.

WadeKobe
12-20-2013, 10:18 PM
I would put Drexler above him too. Parish wasn't even a top 10 player in that decade, though I do love his shout outs to Dantley, and Moncrief. They just don't stand up to Barkley at all imo, nor does Dr J, whose one chip came in a pretty underwhelming fashion on his part.

Agree mostly. Not ready to say he wasn't top10. Moncreif and KAJ certainly go above him, but that 10 spots gets a little interesting. Probably doesn't go to Parish, but I would have to look more.

bagwell368
12-20-2013, 10:20 PM
I should have specified that Barkley was my 8th guy, but he just didn't play long enough or win a title in that time frame.

Parish was just Mr. Steady, but probably about 11th or so.

Drexler is behind all my named guys. He had a very quiet rookie season, two good years, and had 2 elite seasons at the end of the decade - sorry that's no contest for for top 7 or even top 14.

bagwell368
12-20-2013, 10:29 PM
Parish had 6.3 less WS in the decade than KAJ, cleary he played more minutes and games, but that's a key point, he answered the bell the whole decade - he missed 34 regular season games in the decade.

Do you know the notion of replacement level player in baseball - well apply it here and he picks up ground on probably everyone.

I give Dr. J a lot of credit for his four years in a row of +.200 WS/48 - about .227 on average. That's a peak. if you guys want to anoint Jordan for 5 years total at the highest rate, then Dr. J at the next tier down should get some love, plus he got a ring and MJ did not.

PowerHouse
12-20-2013, 10:41 PM
In no particular order:

Magic
Bird
Dr. J
Jordan
Isaiah Thomas
KAJ
*tie- Bernard King/Moses/Dominique

bagwell368
12-20-2013, 10:56 PM
^Man... Moses crushes Thomas.

I can't believe all the votes for Thomas and Wilkins. KAJ? He had 1 big year in the 80's, he's a 90's guy - actually '89 - '97.

Wilkins was a gun that hurt his teams more then he helped them. Bum.

Bernard King - only a NY player that had one elite year in his career could be nominated. It's like Melo another trigger happy one trick pony mouldering out West for yeasr, but when he gets to the starved for a ring NY market, he's suddenly one of the 3 best players in the league. What a fraud they are - and he is.

asandhu23
12-20-2013, 10:59 PM
Chris Mullin also started in 80s

PowerHouse
12-20-2013, 11:15 PM
you are a stats guy. How do you have Dr J or Dantley over Chuck?

There is nothing wrong at all with the stats that Dr J or Dantley put up. Especially Dr. J who was not only a guy who could score at will inside or outside but also one of the most under-rated defenders of all time. That dude was a 100+ blocks and 100+ steals machine every season, along with his amazing scoring prowess.

PowerHouse
12-20-2013, 11:24 PM
^Man... Moses crushes Thomas.

I can't believe all the votes for Thomas and Wilkins. KAJ? He had 1 big year in the 80's, he's a 90's guy - actually '89 - '97.

Is this a typo or what? Kareem a 90s guy?

And if you want to compare Thomas to Magic then I can see that but comparing a pg to a center is next to impossible when their respective roles to their teams couldnt be any more opposite, like comparing an outfielder to a pitcher.

asandhu23
12-21-2013, 12:19 AM

And if you want to compare Thomas to Magic then I can see that but comparing a pg to a center is next to impossible when their respective roles to their teams couldnt be any more opposite, like comparing an outfielder to a pitcher.

he meant Thomas.

PowerHouse
12-21-2013, 12:22 AM
he meant Thomas.

No, Im pretty sure he is talking about Hakeem Olajuwon considering that he brought up '89-'97.

bagwell368
12-21-2013, 08:38 AM

Ugh... I read KAJ as KJ. My bad.

Since the list is best 7 players of the 80's there is no choice but to compare different positions. Given that Moses stomps Thomas and it's not close.

Hakeems peak was '85-'95 IMO BTW.

JasonJohnHorn
12-21-2013, 09:56 AM
The 80's?

I have an issue here. Where do you place Jordan and Hakeem? I noticed in your honourable mention you have Barkley and Malone, and they were drafted around the same time as Hakeem and Jordan.

If it is guys whose pique was in the 80's:

Magic
Bird
Moses
Dr. J
Kareem (Moses's 80's play was at a higher level than Kareem's 80's play)
Thomas/Gervin

Guys like KMalone, Barkley, Hakeem, Jordan and Stockton all had several great years in the 80's though.

DreamShaker
12-21-2013, 01:13 PM
The 80's?

I have an issue here. Where do you place Jordan and Hakeem? I noticed in your honourable mention you have Barkley and Malone, and they were drafted around the same time as Hakeem and Jordan.

If it is guys whose pique was in the 80's:

Magic
Bird
Moses
Dr. J
Kareem (Moses's 80's play was at a higher level than Kareem's 80's play)
Thomas/Gervin

Guys like KMalone, Barkley, Hakeem, Jordan and Stockton all had several great years in the 80's though.

Talking to me? I listed MJ on my top 7. Hakeem....yikes. Total blunder. Not sure he was top 7...but was still awesome in the 80's. Keep in mind Hakeem is my favorite player ever by a mile, so I totally just forgot. No slight.

bagwell368
12-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Malone, Hakeem, and Stockton seemed safely outside the top 7 to me. Barkley was the toughest omit.

JordansBulls
12-21-2013, 03:07 PM
Bird (the 3 years in a row from 1984 to 1986 peaks is one of the best ever)
Magic (1990 was when he passed Bird overall)
MJ (Highest Peak in 1988 of all the players, led in PER 3x, scoring 3x, Win Shares 3x, had 3 scoring titles as well)
Moses (2 league mvp's, 1 finals mvp, 1 title)
Kareem (1 league mvp, 1 finals mvp)

JasonJohnHorn
12-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Talking to me? I listed MJ on my top 7. Hakeem....yikes. Total blunder. Not sure he was top 7...but was still awesome in the 80's. Keep in mind Hakeem is my favorite player ever by a mile, so I totally just forgot. No slight.

No... I'm just wondering... it's hard to gauge... Jordan played his best basketball in the late 80's, but he didn't win. His career.... what made him the greatest, was the 6 rings and 6 finals MVPs.... all 90's. So it's hard... to weigh the portion of Jordan's career, which was only half the decade against Magic and Bird whose prime was the entire decade and who won 8 of the 10 rings in the 80's.. it's hard not to put those two on top and give a spot to Moses, Dr. J and Thomas for winning the other two. And then Kareem... it was the last half of his career, which statistically wasn't as impressive as the first half, but he won a lot more.

Hakeem got to the finals before Jordan... and he played some amazing basketball in the 80s. Barkley, Stockton and KMalone.... like Jordan and Hakeem, their best years were in the 90's.

It's just hard to evaluate really. I mean, for the 80's, I think putting Thomas ahead of Jordan makes sense considering that every time they went head to head in a series that decade, Thomas came out on top.