PDA

View Full Version : Thad Young requests trade; "isn't ok with the whole tanking thing"

sunsfan88
12-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Thaddeus Young has requested a trade from the Philadelphia 76ers.

Young and his agent, Jim Tanner, submitted a trade request to Sam Hinkie and the Sixers weeks ago, according to a source close to Young.

"Thad is ready to leave Philly," the source said. "He isn't with the whole tanking thing."

Young was excited about the possibility of being traded to the Houston Rockets in a deal for Omer Asik before talks broke apart.

http://www.libertyballers.com/2013/12/19/5228322/thaddeus-young-trade-sixers-rumors-nba-omer-asik

$9M/yr for a "glue guy" is a bit much imo but I can still see why some teams would possibly be interested in him.

Max.This
12-19-2013, 07:46 PM
hes got 3 years 9 mil with 3rd being player option.

2-ONE-5
12-19-2013, 07:48 PM
he would make a great addition to any contender. not sure if anyone in the league plays harder then Thad night in and night out.

FOBolous
12-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Please force a trade to Houston :wish: Asik for Young!

WES KOAST
12-19-2013, 07:51 PM
losing is considered tanking? I thought losing was just called...losing

maybe the team is losing because they...suck?

most of these guys come from humble beginnings and once they make money, they don't appreciate what they have.

if im making the money these guys are making, I would be the happiest dude playing on the worst team. it's an honor to play in the nba

Raps18-19 Champ
12-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Houston for sure now.

JC_
12-19-2013, 07:54 PM
I doubt many players are into losing games. When guys start giving into the losing mentality, it can affect them in the long run; making some guys less likely to care when it really matters.

WES KOAST
12-19-2013, 07:58 PM
I doubt many players are into losing games. When guys start giving into the losing mentality, it can affect them in the long run; making some guys less likely to care when it really matters.

they may be in a losing organization but I don't think any player are into losing.

look at diaw, dude was lazy in Atlanta, went to phx n played his best season. got paid. got lazy after he got paid. now that he's in a winning organization like san Antonio, dude is playing well

barreleffact
12-19-2013, 07:59 PM

most of these guys come from humble beginnings and once they make money, they don't appreciate what they have.

if im making the money these guys are making, I would be the happiest dude playing on the worst team. it's an honor to play in the nba

your logic = idealism. Absolutely terrible IMO.

shep33
12-19-2013, 08:05 PM
I don't know if Morey wants that money on the roster for the next two years.

Don't see why Young would opt out of his last year at over 9 mill

D-Leethal
12-19-2013, 08:11 PM
He would be a seamless fit in HOU.

FOBolous
12-19-2013, 09:20 PM
I love Young but the only problem with Young is that his contract is too large/long...the rockets want to make sure they have enough $$$ to resign Parsons

NBA_Starter
12-19-2013, 09:59 PM
MKG and Gordon based deal for him?

warfelg
12-19-2013, 11:41 PM

Hell I would take that.

bholly
12-20-2013, 12:24 AM

lol. "they traded a 23 year old All Star! and they took months to hire a coach! and they picked a guy who won't play this year! they're taking tanking way too far and being way too obvious and should be punished and have picks taken away from them!"
"are they even tanking? maybe they just suck?"

psd is the best.

ManRam
12-20-2013, 12:27 AM
they may be in a losing organization but I don't think any player are into losing.

look at diaw, dude was lazy in Atlanta, went to phx n played his best season. got paid. got lazy after he got paid. now that he's in a winning organization like san Antonio, dude is playing well

Agreed. We call every loss by a lesser team "tanking" these days. It's a joke. These guys and coaches aren't going out there trying to lose. It's become the most liberally used word in the world..."tanking", that is.

This team is just rebuilding and leaning heavily on young players. They aren't "tanking" every game, they're just rebuilding and that means a lot of losing.

They did the right thing. It blew my mind that Philly fans were against the Jrue trade at first. What did they want? Mediocrity for a few more years? That's the worst. Glad they've all came around to it (at least the ones I know). It was a GREAT trade. A fleecing.

bholly
12-20-2013, 02:04 AM
^^FWIW, I don't remember too many being against it. That day was a whirlwind, so maybe I don't remember right, but I remember a lot more excitement and support than disapproval. Maybe there were a few prominent ones in here that didn't like it, I don't know, but I think the Sixers forum was mostly for it.

sunsfan88
12-20-2013, 03:47 AM

^THIS. People can say "Every team should tank to get good draft picks" but once your franchise develops a losing culture and mentality, its hard to get rid of it. The Bobcats, Cavs, Wizards, Pisons, Bucks, Jazz, TimberWolves, Kings, Raptors etc have had MANY top 5 and top 10 picks and they still suck.

For every OKC, SAS and GSW, there is a list 3 times as long with teams who tanking did not work for.

TheBigChief
12-20-2013, 04:04 AM

ill take mkg 10 nights out of 10 over thad.....mkg is very underrated and under appreciated in charlotte, the guy has a MOTOR

TheBigChief
12-20-2013, 04:07 AM
^THIS. People can say "Every team should tank to get good draft picks" but once your franchise develops a losing culture and mentality, its hard to get rid of it. The Bobcats, Cavs, Wizards, Pisons, Bucks, Jazz, TimberWolves, Kings, Raptors etc have had MANY top 5 and top 10 picks and they still suck.

For every OKC, SAS and GSW, there is a list 3 times as long with teams who tanking did not work for.

t'wolves do not suck anymore and they would not have two years ago, they have had some of the worst injury luck in the league....cavs, bobcats/hornets, kings, and wizards have very young and have plenty of pottnetiakl on the roster

TheBigChief
12-20-2013, 04:09 AM
Agreed. We call every loss by a lesser team "tanking" these days. It's a joke. These guys and coaches aren't going out there trying to lose. It's become the most liberally used word in the world..."tanking", that is.

This team is just rebuilding and leaning heavily on young players. They aren't "tanking" every game, they're just rebuilding and that means a lot of losing.

They did the right thing. It blew my mind that Philly fans were against the Jrue trade at first. What did they want? Mediocrity for a few more years? That's the worst. Glad they've all came around to it (at least the ones I know). It was a GREAT trade. A fleecing.

you literally have like 30 posts crying about this topic, write it in your diary next time

PhillyFaninLA
12-20-2013, 04:36 AM
He asked for a trade not demand a trade

sunsfan88
12-20-2013, 06:51 AM
t'wolves do not suck anymore and they would not have two years ago, they have had some of the worst injury luck in the league....cavs, bobcats/hornets, kings, and wizards have very young and have plenty of potential on the roster
Yea and how long have those teams been waiting on that "potential"? In the NBA, the bad teams will remain bad. That's just how it is. Rarely do teams go from bad to good. OKC and GSW, like I said earlier, are some of the very rare to do it.

MonroeFAN
12-20-2013, 08:03 AM
suns88, lol @ detroit and minnesota being on that list. You have one more win than us and two more than the wolves, and haven't done anything in a few seasons. We also were one of the best teams in the league for an entire decade pretty much. Unlike PHX, we actually have a championship to show for it. Minnesota is more talented top to bottom. What point is it that you're trying to make? Because whatever it is, it's incredibly flawed logic. Should probably be kept to yourself.

Knowledge
12-20-2013, 08:06 AM

I remember most in the 76ers forum being excited for a fresh (and promising) direction. I know I was ecstatic as soon as Hinkie was hired.

MagicBucsSox
12-20-2013, 08:18 AM

Educate yourself before you speak. Outside Carter-Wil & turner , Thad is playing with 2nd rd picks , d-leaguers and undrafted players. The team is clearly tanking, trading a 22yo all star for a rookie with bad knees and underweight. He's a solid player he can ball and he's never been on but 1 winning season. He's overpaid but that shows the ineptitude of the FO(prior to hinkie)

MagicBucsSox
12-20-2013, 08:20 AM
ill take mkg 10 nights out of 10 over thad.....mkg is very underrated and under appreciated in charlotte, the guy has a MOTOR

MKG is a bust, let it go man.

MonroeFAN
12-20-2013, 08:28 AM
Thad is being highly underrated in this topic. MKG is not a starting caliber player in this league.

c.c.
12-20-2013, 09:44 AM
I wouldn't mind him on the Rockets but he's kinda pricey. I got mixed emotions about a deal centered around him

2-ONE-5
12-20-2013, 10:55 AM
take a look at some of the contracts in the league and then tell me if Thad is over paid...

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-20-2013, 11:20 AM

Actually Bucks owner is a win now meddler. Just so happens Bucks had tons of freak injuries to Sanders,Zaza,Butler,Neal,Ridnour,Udoh,Ersan and even Knight missed games early on and we were forced to start rookie second round pick Wolters first month in. Also Bucks were in early talks about Asik deal. But Morey probably asked to much and we backed off. But sounds like now Bucks wouldn't mind being third team in the Asik trade but not getting Asik. Also Bucks were rumored to be interested in ZBO. But all the fans just want to see our young guys and now tank for a top pick.

TheBigChief
12-21-2013, 02:01 AM
MKG is a bust, let it go man.

wtf? high motor, beast on defense, shooting 50% before the injury, 20 years old and he's a "bust"?

whats your malfunction soldier?

2-ONE-5
12-21-2013, 01:06 PM
yet the Bobcats want to move him already...

futureman
12-21-2013, 02:55 PM
I guess the Sixers are going to have to poison MCW again because they just beat Brooklyn last night. They suck at tanking. Even without MCW they still can't get the worst record. They will get a big fat win when they play the Jazz this year.

2-ONE-5
12-21-2013, 05:49 PM
ummm Sixers are 2.5 games out of last in the league. Jazz are a team that improve as the year goes on as will the Bucks if they bring their whole team back healthy

SMH!
12-21-2013, 06:03 PM
I guess the Sixers are going to have to poison MCW again because they just beat Brooklyn last night. They suck at tanking. Even without MCW they still can't get the worst record. They will get a big fat win when they play the Jazz this year.

look at the standings, we arent that far away from being dead last.. lol what are you talking about?

TheNumber37
12-21-2013, 06:15 PM
Thad Young and Jason Richardson for Danny Granger

beasted86
12-21-2013, 07:46 PM

No, its called tanking.

When a team purposely holds a payroll below the salary floor because they are bent on not adding free agents that could help them win... and they hold out their top 10 draft pick even when he could be playing, its called trying to lose.

2-ONE-5
12-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Thad Young and Jason Richardson for Danny Granger

lol why would we take Granger? we dont need expirings we want draft picks/young talent

2-ONE-5
12-21-2013, 08:56 PM
No, its called tanking.

When a team purposely holds a payroll below the salary floor because they are bent on not adding free agents that could help them win... and they hold out their top 10 draft pick even when he could be playing, its called trying to lose.

its called rebuilding and player development.

beasted86
12-21-2013, 09:30 PM
its called rebuilding and player development.

So you develop players by keeping them on the bench in a suit?

Innovative philosophy.

2-ONE-5
12-21-2013, 11:33 PM
So you develop players by keeping them on the bench in a suit?

Innovative philosophy.

you have to develop players off the court just as much as on it and its just good business to sit him and our vets from time to time bcuz sadly we are close to a playoff team in the east when we are at full strength. After ET, Hawes, Thad are traded MCW should have less games missed

beasted86
12-21-2013, 11:57 PM
you have to develop players off the court just as much as on it and its just good business to sit him and our vets from time to time bcuz sadly we are close to a playoff team in the east when we are at full strength. After ET, Hawes, Thad are traded MCW should have less games missed

Seriously man... I don't get if you are brainwashed or not. Everything you are saying is accurate and makes sense for the team except for the obvious lying to yourself and trying to spin "tanking" as "rebuilding".

Its tanking. They are purposely trying to lessen their chances to win games. It's really that simple.

2-ONE-5
12-22-2013, 12:28 AM
no dude its rebuilding from the ground up. Sixers have been in NBA hell or 10 years by staying mediocre and the only way to get better is to blow it up and start from scratch which we are doing along with some other teams too. Tanking is losing on purpose but we arent losing on purpose instead we are losing bcuz we arent good.

beasted86
12-22-2013, 01:52 AM
no dude its rebuilding from the ground up. Sixers have been in NBA hell or 10 years by staying mediocre and the only way to get better is to blow it up and start from scratch which we are doing along with some other teams too. Tanking is losing on purpose but we arent losing on purpose instead we are losing bcuz we arent good.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

2-ONE-5
12-22-2013, 11:58 AM
good response. sorry there arent enough super stars in the league to puss out and team up so they can win a ring.

TheIlladelph16
12-22-2013, 12:21 PM
No, its called tanking.

I don't think you understand what "salary FLOOR" means. The Sixers aren't below it in any case, nor is any team to my knowledge.

bholly
12-22-2013, 12:32 PM
I don't think you understand what "salary FLOOR" means. The Sixers aren't below it in any case, nor is any team to my knowledge.

Yeah, we are below it.

It isn't a hard floor. Your salary can be as low as you like. The rule is just that if you fall short you have to pay your players the difference as a bonus.

TheIlladelph16
12-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Yeah, we are below it.

It isn't a hard floor. Your salary can be as low as you like. The rule is just that if you fall short you have to pay your players the difference as a bonus.

My mistake Beasted. I'm the idiot here haha

Thanks for the info.