PDA

View Full Version : Who wins the PER all-star game?

lpdunks8
12-19-2013, 12:57 PM
After seeing the returns of the first all-star vote; I decided to look at the top 12 PER players in each conference.

Which team is better?

EAST
Centers- Lopez (BKN), Drummond (DET), Horford (ATL), Henson (MIL)
Forwards- James (MIA), Anthony (NYK), George (IND), Beasley (MIA), Millsap (ATL)
Guards- Wade (MIA), Wall (WASH), Afflalo (ORL)

WEST
Centers- Cousins (SAC), Howard (HOU)
Forwards- Davis (NO), Durant (OKC), Love (MIN), Nowitzki (DAL), Aldridge (POR), Hill (LAL)
Guards- Paul (LAC), Curry (GS), Thomas (SAC), Conley (MEM)

shep33
12-19-2013, 01:14 PM
west easily

lol, please
12-19-2013, 01:17 PM
Klay says hi.

True Sports Fan
12-19-2013, 01:17 PM
West coast is the best coast.

Nighthawk
12-19-2013, 01:21 PM
East squad

Lopez
Lebron
Melo
Paul George
Wall

Crazy athletic! With wade off the bench!

kdspurman
12-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Klay says hi.

Klay is 20th among shooting guards alone

FraziersKnicks
12-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Klay says hi.

Some people need to learn how to read

IKnowHoops
12-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Looks like the West

black1605
12-19-2013, 02:14 PM
The West.

mightybosstone
12-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Assuming we do this based on positions and who has posted the highest PER at each position in terms of the starting lineups, it would look something like this:

EAST
C Brook Lopez / Andre Drummond
PF Carmelo Anthony / Al Horford / John Henson
SF Lebron James / Paul Millsap / Michael Beasley
SG Paul George / Dwyane Wade / Arron Afflalo
PG John Wall

vs.

WEST
C Anthony Davis / Demarcus Cousins / Jordan Hill
PF Kevin Love / LaMarcus Aldridge / Dirk Nowitzki
SF Kevin Durant
SG Stephen Curry
PG Chris Paul / Mike Conley / Isaiah Thomas

So, both teams have obvious holes and are clearly way too stacked in the front court, but the West seriously lacks wings. Kevin Durant is the only true wing player on the roster, while it completely lacks any real semblance of a SG. I put Curry there, because I think he could thrive playing off of Chris Paul in a SG role, but defensively, he'd get slaughtered, so Paul who have to defend opposing 2 guards. Conley could also come off the bench to play a little 2 guard.

You could look at this matchup two ways. If this is a traditional All-Star game where no one gives a **** about defense and the more talented team usually ends up winning, then the West would probably win. They have ridiculous scoring efficiency in their starting five and just more overall talent.

But if this is a legit matchup where both teams are actually trying to win, I'd actually go with the East. The West's problem is that too much of its talent would be at PF and C and you can't find a way to get Davis, Love, LMA and Dirk on the floor at the same time. Meanwhile, I trust the East more defensively, and they have far more versatility on their roster with Lebron capable of playing four positions and other versatile guys like George, Millsap, Horford and Wade. The East could actually throw out a lineup of Drummond, Horford, Lebron, George and Afflalo and just play lock down defensively. The West can't.

I've clearly spent way too much time discussing this. Bottom line, the West would win a traditional All-Star style game, because it's more talented. The East would win a legitimate basketball game, because it's better built and far more versatile.

nickdymez
12-19-2013, 04:23 PM
Klay says hi.

Your english teacher says hi as well...

West pretty much would win this i think.

FlashBolt
12-19-2013, 04:55 PM
Damn.. Beasley is an All star? WTF!

mightybosstone
12-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Damn.. Beasley is an All star? WTF!

Sigh.... Perhaps you should read the OP's post before writing statements like this.

FlashBolt
12-19-2013, 05:07 PM
Sigh.... Perhaps you should read the OP's post before writing statements like this.

Who the hell writes sigh on the internet? In any case, it was confusing because he put All Star. I haven't been up to date/as active in NBA recently so I assumed Beasley was in the All Star game.

mightybosstone
12-19-2013, 05:09 PM
Who the hell writes sigh on the internet? In any case, it was confusing because he put All Star. I haven't been up to date/as active in NBA recently so I assumed Beasley was in the All Star game.

I do. I write it all the time, and it takes less time than it would to find the :sigh: smiley face. What's worse... The guy who writes "sigh" on an Internet forum, or the guy who complains about it?

Hawkeye15
12-19-2013, 06:46 PM
the west has way too much size up front, and even if the wings on the east are stronger, remember, Love and Dirk can both step out and hit three's as well as any SF up there.

Phenomenonsense
12-19-2013, 06:48 PM
East squad
Drummond***
Lebron
Melo
Paul George
Wall

Crazy athletic! With wade off the bench!

ftfy

mightybosstone
12-19-2013, 07:27 PM
the west has way too much size up front, and even if the wings on the east are stronger, remember, Love and Dirk can both step out and hit three's as well as any SF up there.

But it's not like you can put Love and Dirk on the floor at the same time. The problem is that way too much of the talent on that Western roster is at the PF position, and none of them are capable of playing the 3. Durant would practically have to play 48 minutes, and there's no legitimate 2. The West has more talent, but too much of it is concentrated at the 1 and 4. I still say the East wins that game.

Hawkeye15
12-19-2013, 08:21 PM
But it's not like you can put Love and Dirk on the floor at the same time. The problem is that way too much of the talent on that Western roster is at the PF position, and none of them are capable of playing the 3. Durant would practically have to play 48 minutes, and there's no legitimate 2. The West has more talent, but too much of it is concentrated at the 1 and 4. I still say the East wins that game.

I understand where you are coming from, I simply think the west would negate the east perimeter advantage with their clearly better interior players, 2 of which can score from anywhere.

mrblisterdundee
12-19-2013, 10:20 PM
I think people are underestimating the east here. It's much better defensively, except for Carmelo Anthony, who's going to have 40 dropped on him by Kevin Durant. Stephen Curry's going to have to score on Paul George, and John Wall's basically the fastest player on either lineup. LeBron James will punish Kevin Love, and Drummond about the best you could hope for other than Roy Hibbert going against Dwight Howard.

ewing
12-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Bron will have to run the point but i got the east