PDA

View Full Version : Dirk Nowitzki flirting with his second 50/40/90 FG% season

LTBaByyy
12-19-2013, 09:46 AM
He's currently at .495 FG% .419 3PFG% .927 FT%

canefandynasty
12-19-2013, 10:05 AM
TOP 15 player in the NBA for sure. That jumpshot ages gracefully.

ashyzup
12-19-2013, 10:25 AM
My favorite basketball player of all time.

ManRam
12-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Nice to see him still going strong. As much as I've never been fond of Monta, he's certainly been a big help. Taking some of the scoring burden off of Dirk simply can't hurt him at all.

For some context, only 12 players that played significant time have ever done it. Nash has done it 4 times. Kerr, Calderon, KD, Reggie and Mark Price have done it once. Bird has done it twice. It's certainly an arbitrary thing with arbitrary cut offs, but it's definitely quite telling of an accomplishment.

FlashBolt
12-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Nice to see him still going strong. As much as I've never been fond of Monta, he's certainly been a big help. Taking some of the scoring burden off of Dirk simply can't hurt him at all.

For some context, only 12 players that played significant time have ever done it. Nash has done it 4 times. Kerr, Calderon, KD, Reggie and Mark Price have done it once. Bird has done it twice. It's certainly an arbitrary thing with arbitrary cut offs, but it's definitely quite telling of an accomplishment.

Hard to give it to Nash when he doesn't look to score and picks his spots. For a player like Dirk who is known for scoring, this is much more impressive.

D-Leethal
12-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Monta and Dirk are a near-perfect match on paper. Monta is basically JJ Barea on steroids for them.

ManRam
12-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Hard to give it to Nash when he doesn't look to score and picks his spots. For a player like Dirk who is known for scoring, this is much more impressive.

In Nash's prime he was taking 4+ threes a game and 12-15 shots a game. Certainly not in Dirk's range, but there are tons of players throughout the history of the sport who have shot as much or fewer than Nash and never did what he did or even got close. Again, we're talking about a very selective group. It's still VERY impressive. Maybe not as much, but certainly.

Nash had the 5th most FGAs one of the seasons he did it too. Less than Bird (x2), KD and Dirk, but still, 5th. And he did it 4 times.

D-Leethal
12-19-2013, 12:28 PM
In Nash's prime he was taking 4+ threes a game and 12-15 shots a game. Certainly not in Dirk's range, but there are tons of players throughout the history of the sport who have shot as much or fewer than Nash and never did what he did or even got close. Again, we're talking about a very selective group. It's still VERY impressive. Maybe not as much, but certainly.

Nash had the 5th most FGAs one of the seasons he did it too. Less than Bird (x2), KD and Dirk, but still, 5th. And he did it 4 times.

In a way, its almost more impressive considering Nash had to focus on being the engine of the offense, getting everyone else involved, and on top of that creating his own shots at a 50/40/90 clip. Guys like Dirk only have to pick spots to score. Nash had to pick spots to score around creating shots for everyone else.

effen5
12-19-2013, 02:21 PM
In a way, its almost more impressive considering Nash had to focus on being the engine of the offense, getting everyone else involved, and on top of that creating his own shots at a 50/40/90 clip. Guys like Dirk only have to pick spots to score. Nash had to pick spots to score around creating shots for everyone else.

lmfao @ your sig....

LTBaByyy
12-19-2013, 03:31 PM
If Dirk averages at least 18 PPG the rest of the season and next 3 years, he will be behind only Kareem, Karl Malone, MJ, & Kobe on the all time scoring list

AnthonyTyrael2
12-20-2013, 02:10 AM

Not all of those guys did qualify to be considered. Like Kerr and Calderon. If you consider them nonetheless, the only guy in the 50/50/90 club is Kerr. Hail to the king.

Btw, imo Dirk won't join that club again this year. He's close though.

naps
12-20-2013, 02:27 AM
If Dirk averages at least 18 PPG the rest of the season and next 3 years, he will be behind only Kareem, Karl Malone, MJ, & Kobe on the all time scoring list

Damn, that would be an awesome feat for Dirk. He can do it if he really wants to go for it. I am sure Cuban won't mind keeping Dirk for as long as Dirk wants it going.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-20-2013, 02:34 AM
Dat ***** Dirk.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-20-2013, 02:36 AM
Calderon is also flirting with his 2nd season.

47-47-89.5

King41
12-20-2013, 11:08 AM
calderon
40 on three eeeaassyyyy
ft 90 he will be around 92 at the end of the saison
50 from the field hmm he can do it ;)

mavs with 2 50/40/90 players nice to see ;)

IndyRealist
12-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Now that this team has started to gel, they look really dangerous. Dirk is trending WAY upward.

And I'd like to point out for all the naysayers that this is a stats built team. Plenty of players that stats love that "conventional wisdom" says are marginal.

Swashcuff
12-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Now that this team has started to gel, they look really dangerous. Dirk is trending WAY upward.

And I'd like to point out for all the naysayers that this is a stats built team. Plenty of players that stats love that "conventional wisdom" says are marginal.

Cuban already said he built their Championship team based on stats so those naysayers have been proven wrong for quite some time now.

gatkins11
12-20-2013, 08:52 PM

Not too farfetched considering his game is built for longevity.

D-Leethal
12-20-2013, 09:28 PM

Cuban already said he built their Championship team based on stats so those naysayers have been proven wrong for quite some time now.

What the hell does that even mean? Built on stats? I'm sure every team builds their team with stats in mind. I'm also sure by 'building on stats' they aren't stacking up players with favorable win shares. You are finding player combinations that will thrive next to each other - thats called prudent GMing.

Hawkeye15
12-20-2013, 09:32 PM

Nash meets every minimum by a mile as best shooter ever. Until Curry most likely passes him in 10 years.

Dirk is the best stretch 4 ever. No argument. Hoping my boy Love can replicate it.

Hawkeye15
12-20-2013, 09:34 PM
Not too farfetched considering his game is built for longevity.

pretty much. Height and shooting ability don't go away..

Chrisclover
12-20-2013, 10:20 PM
Hail to Dirk .He is Mavs 'all time legend

Chrisclover
12-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Lmao, JJ Barea on steroid is a Monta ;)
Monta and Dirk are a near-perfect match on paper. Monta is basically JJ Barea on steroids for them.

Chrisclover
12-20-2013, 10:38 PM
This team is starting to gel and it is so impressive. Surprised to see Monta revive alongside a HOFer .were it an East team, they would come back to playoffs

Chrisclover
12-20-2013, 10:55 PM
With Cuban, a victory -thirsty boss managing this team, the naysayers are always proved short-sighted .Cuban is discerning .he looks far ahead and aims high. The 2011 championship team he disassembled was not sustainable and you can see, the starters like Butler, Tyson, they left the Mavs and they have never win again ever since .not to mention Tyson is brittle though he looks tough with his rock -solid defense. Cuban said he would only give young assets big contracts and I hope he can get a couple of whom soon. I just love this crazy-fan boss who doesnt spare his effort while being cautious at the same time

Chrisclover
12-20-2013, 11:04 PM
Oh, if there were an award called Owner of the Year, I would vote for Cuban 9 times of 10.Prokhorov would be a candidate if Nets made success but now it is unlikely lol.

asandhu23
12-20-2013, 11:10 PM
Oh, if there were an award called Owner of the Year, I would vote for Cuban 9 times of 10.Prokhorov would be a candidate if Nets made success but now it is unlikely lol.

Give some consideration to the new Warriors owners. Brought the Warriors back to relevance rather quickly.

Swashcuff
12-21-2013, 12:49 AM
What the hell does that even mean? Built on stats? I'm sure every team builds their team with stats in mind. I'm also sure by 'building on stats' they aren't stacking up players with favorable win shares. You are finding player combinations that will thrive next to each other - thats called prudent GMing.

Those were Mark Cuban's exact words so why are you asking me? Go ask him on twitter I'm sure if you bother him enough he'll respond.

Chrisclover
12-21-2013, 01:04 AM
Warriors is fun to watch but their depths are not satisfying yet. Yesterday they were defeated by Spurs without GDP.
But considering the owner kept Curry at such a low priced and cost effective contract and this team is so young and athletic, yes, they have a bright future

Give some consideration to the new Warriors owners. Brought the Warriors back to relevance rather quickly.