PDA

View Full Version : Sox get Jonathan Herrera for Franklin Morales

Towelie
12-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Rockies Acquire Franklin Morales
By Steve Adams [December 18, 2013 at 12:49pm CST]
The Rockies have acquired left-hander Franklin Morales from the Red Sox in exchange for infielder Jonathan Herrera, according to Ian Browne and Thomas Harding of MLB.com (Twitter link). In a second tweet, Harding adds that minor league right-hander Chris Martin is also headed to the Red Sox.

Not bad.

theGhost-isGone
12-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Herrera doesn't look too bad - decent K rate with a reasonable OBP. Not bad for a utility guy I suppose. Also, I take it this isn't our Chris Martin? I'm confused. I google him and all I get is some cricket player and a pitcher who's been on our farm since 2011.

bruins>habs
12-18-2013, 03:15 PM
There's a typo in that post. Chris Martin is heading to the Rockies, not the Sox.

Is this guy our backup infielder next season?

bagwell368
12-18-2013, 03:38 PM
He's a great back-up 2B in the field. He's meh at SS, and poor at 3B with limited experience. He's around average for a MI in OBP (since he became a semi regular his corrected OBP is .314). He's got weak SLG, but that's not a major issue.

He could be the main back-up guy, or he could be a strong sub in waiting.

-Lavigne43-
12-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Decent IF sub. Better than what we had last year until Xander came up. So if we bring back Drew in a below market deal I assume WMB is gone?

bagwell368
12-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Decent IF sub. Better than what we had last year until Xander came up. So if we bring back Drew in a below market deal I assume WMB is gone?

If Drew is back, then WMB must be the odd man out, the only other "out" was 1B if no Napoli - but that's done.

BostonSports96
12-18-2013, 06:58 PM
Great deal. Miller Breslow are the LHP in the pen and we have Britton in AAA....no room for Morales.

Plus Herrera is a very good quality UIF....good defense, plays all 3 utility positions, can hit decently against RHP.

Only real issue now is getting an OF that can play CF, but I don't see that happening unless Carp is moved.

bagwell368
12-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Great deal. Miller Breslow are the LHP in the pen and we have Britton in AAA....no room for Morales.

Plus Herrera is a very good quality UIF....good defense, plays all 3 utility positions, can hit decently against RHP.

Only real issue now is getting an OF that can play CF, but I don't see that happening unless Carp is moved.

We need a RHH CF via FA or trade. Carp could get moved in ST - or kept if someone else is moved.

greenwell39
12-18-2013, 07:21 PM
With the Rockies trading for Drew Stubbs, maybe we can strike up another deal with the Rox for Brandon Barnes.

YoungStuna
12-19-2013, 04:22 AM

For the Mets sake, I hope WMB stays put.....lol

Bo Sox Fan
12-19-2013, 04:58 AM
I actually liked Morales. He gave this team alot of options with his versatility as a lefty reliever, spot starter (in which he threw a few unexpected gems in 2012) and even as a regular starter at times in the past.

He will be missed by me anyways, but such as life, nothing lasts forever.

Nice trade, moving on now...

Rivera
12-19-2013, 09:48 AM
I heard the Sox were not even pursuing Stephen drew anymore

Just a rumor I heard

bagwell368
12-19-2013, 10:32 AM

Just a rumor I heard

Best chance of getting him is every ML turns a cold shoulder to him on any multi year deal, when his agent makes his final pass offer him a 2 year $19M deal and see if he bites. Trade him as soon as it suits BC.

Or go without and spend more resources for a CF or LF - or both.

YoungStuna
12-19-2013, 02:34 PM

Just a rumor I heard

I hope that is the case because then he would have to crawl to us in that scenario. We really need a SS lol and we are the most logical candidates for his services.

todu82
12-20-2013, 09:38 AM
Nice pickup for the team, solid option as a backup infielder.

GrkGawdofWalkz
12-20-2013, 06:24 PM
One less reliever in the cluster **** of the teams depth. Thanks for your contributions as a member of the Red Sox. I wasn't expecting much back for him. Glad he goes back to a team he's at least familiar with.

filihok
12-22-2013, 04:37 AM
Herrera doesn't look too bad - decent K rate with a reasonable OBP.
You may be forgetting that those stats were compiled in Coors Field.

In 2013 Rocky hitters and pitchers combined for/to allow a .342 OBP in Coors Field compared to .320 on the road.
In 2013 Rocky hitters and pitchers combined for/to allow a .325 BABIP in Coors Field compared to .309 on the road.

Also, per StatCorner (http://www.statcorner.com/team2.php?team=115&year=2013), Coors field decreases strikeouts by about 15%.

Herrera has K'd in about 15% of his PA's away from Coors but only about 12% of the time in Coors.

Interestingly, Herrera hasn't shown much of a home/away split - at least in the way we'd think. In Coors he's hit .330/.075 (OBP/ISO) which is a 57 wRC+. Away from Colorado he's hit .320/.060 for a 78 wRC+. He's had about 550 PA's in each split.

bagwell368
12-22-2013, 09:30 AM
You may be forgetting that those stats were compiled in Coors Field.

In 2013 Rocky hitters and pitchers combined for/to allow a .342 OBP in Coors Field compared to .320 on the road.
In 2013 Rocky hitters and pitchers combined for/to allow a .325 BABIP in Coors Field compared to .309 on the road.

Also, per StatCorner (http://www.statcorner.com/team2.php?team=115&year=2013), Coors field decreases strikeouts by about 15%.

Herrera has K'd in about 15% of his PA's away from Coors but only about 12% of the time in Coors.

Interestingly, Herrera hasn't shown much of a home/away split - at least in the way we'd think. In Coors he's hit .330/.075 (OBP/ISO) which is a 57 wRC+. Away from Colorado he's hit .320/.060 for a 78 wRC+. He's had about 550 PA's in each split.

So the players career largely negates the projected Coors advantage. I saw the same thing 3 days ago, and it didn't seen post worthy then either.

Who is "we" BTW?

filihok
12-22-2013, 01:46 PM
I saw the same thing 3 days ago, and it didn't seen post worthy then either.
But worthy enough for you to comment on now?
:rolleyes:

Who is "we" BTW?
We. The participants of this forum who understand, if not the degree to which then at least the idea, that Coors field inflates offense.

bagwell368
12-22-2013, 02:38 PM
But worthy enough for you to comment on now?

Certainly, since negating your own point means there is no point to creating a post. This seems at odds with your usual persnickety insistence on factual input. Perhaps more like a dog marking "his" spot as a matter of routine as opposed to actually having anything interesting to add to the discussion.

We. The participants of this forum who understand, if not the degree to which then at least the idea, that Coors field inflates offense.

Yes, I am a member of that group since I looked up his splits to see if there was an issue with him re: Coors. I've written on Coors park effects re: Burks, Helton etc. for years on PSD, so it was certainly worth checking into - so we can agree on that.

filihok
12-22-2013, 03:42 PM
like a dog marking "his" spot

I've written on Coors park effects re: Burks, Helton etc. for years
I thought I smelled something, anyway...

...I guess what matters is if Herrera is the horrid hitter that he's shown at Coors or the bad hitter that he's shown on the road.

Though his overall numbers home/away are similar, contrary to what w̶e̶'̶d̶ one would expect, we can see some differences in his home/away performance

Home: 23% LD rate, 51% GB rate, 26% FB rate, .296 BABIP
Away: 22% LD rate, 46% GB rate, 32% FB rate, .312 BABIP

He has similar batted ball rates and BABIPs both home and away. But Coors inflates BABIP. I don't feel like doing the full BABIP calculation right now, but I'd suspect that his away BABIP is probably closer the the expected BABIP than his Coors numbers. Despite a relatively high BABIP at Coors he probably has had some BABIP bad luck. Thus, he's probably more of a 78 wRC+ hitter than a 57 wRC+ hitter.