PDA

View Full Version : Would CP3 have been enough to put the Celtics on top once more?

Chronz
12-18-2013, 03:30 AM
The year the Clippers traded for CP3, the Celtics were one of the top suitors for his services. They were willing to jettison Rondo for what could have amounted to a 1 year rental, CP3 wasn't having that however and he made it known.

But lets say the Celtics had him for that 1 year, same year they pushed the Heat to 7. How much better would the Celtics offense have been? They could actually play through the post without worrying about teams completely ignoring an inefficient scorer, not to mention CP3's superior playmaking.

Would they have won it all?

Iron24th
12-18-2013, 05:05 AM
jordanbulls is that you???

With CP3 yes they would have got a better chance to get past miami.

Chrisclover
12-18-2013, 08:18 AM
haha ,another hypothetical scenario.oh yes !CP3 is the best PG in the NBA ,no doubt he would have lifted the Celtics up .
But, was this true that Ainge wanted a 1-year rental of CP3 and risked losing him in the off-season ?Rondo is a cornerstone you can build up around and there is several years remaining before his contract expires .
No need to take this horrid risk because you were very likely to lose both of them .CP3would never stay there because the Celtics was entering rebuilding mode no matter they would beat Heat or not .It was a sinking ship in which no prime-time superstar would stay .It was supposed to be sunken this season .However ,it surprises us again with a top Eastern standing .....It is just lucky for them to be in a historically weakest East and has presumably secured a playoff spot .:oldguy:

bagwell368
12-18-2013, 11:14 AM
haha ,another hypothetical scenario.oh yes !CP3 is the best PG in the NBA ,no doubt he would have lifted the Celtics up .
But, was this true that Ainge wanted a 1-year rental of CP3 and risked losing him in the off-season ?Rondo is a cornerstone you can build up around and there is several years remaining before his contract expires .
No need to take this horrid risk because you were very likely to lose both of them .CP3would never stay there because the Celtics was entering rebuilding mode no matter they would beat Heat or not .It was a sinking ship in which no prime-time superstar would stay .It was supposed to be sunken this season .However ,it surprises us again with a top Eastern standing .....It is just lucky for them to be in a historically weakest East and has presumably secured a playoff spot .:oldguy:

Yes, Ainge was going to try and bring in enough players to induce CP3 to stay. If not than the tanking could have started sooner, with a nice FA slot to fill too boot.

Rondo is not a cornerstone, certainly much less of one now than then.

The Celts are a victim of the East, if they were in the West they would be a 13 or 14 seed which is what they are.

Chrisclover
12-18-2013, 11:31 AM
LMAO,this is the first time in my life i hear that the winner is the victim ,hahahhahaha.Just Checked the standings ,12 western teams are better than Celtics(4th in the East,46.2%winning percentage ) ,and 13 teams are better than the 8th Eastern seed ,Raptors ,whose winning percentage is just 40.9%.
:facepalm:

Yes, Ainge was going to try and bring in enough players to induce CP3 to stay. If not than the tanking could have started sooner, with a nice FA slot to fill too boot.

The Celts are a victim of the East, if they were in the West they would be a 13 or 14 seed which is what they are.

mngopher35
12-18-2013, 12:10 PM
The year the Clippers traded for CP3, the Celtics were one of the top suitors for his services. They were willing to jettison Rondo for what could have amounted to a 1 year rental, CP3 wasn't having that however and he made it known.

But lets say the Celtics had him for that 1 year, same year they pushed the Heat to 7. How much better would the Celtics offense have been? They could actually play through the post without worrying about teams completely ignoring an inefficient scorer, not to mention CP3's superior playmaking.

Would they have won it all?

If we are talking about playing vs the same competition then yes I think they would win the finals (OKC would have been a good matchup though imo, but in the end their youth still would have held them back).

If we are assuming things were different and both teams were healthy (big if) this time around then I think that the Celtics still end up losing in 7 to Miami.

Chronz
12-18-2013, 12:28 PM
LMAO,this is the first time in my life i hear that the winner is the victim ,hahahhahaha.Just Checked the standings ,12 western teams are better than Celtics(4th in the East,46.2%winning percentage ) ,and 13 teams are better than the 8th Eastern seed ,Raptors ,whose winning percentage is just 40.9%.
:facepalm:

But you agree with the test of his post, I'm assuming

Chronz
12-18-2013, 12:30 PM
jordanbulls is that you???

With CP3 yes they would have got a better chance to get past miami.
Better chance is obvious but do they win it all. Jb isnt the only one who thinks of hypothetical scenarios btw, fans and players alike have been doing so since day 2

bagwell368
12-18-2013, 02:45 PM
But you agree with the test of his post, I'm assuming

Not sure, but the Celts are a victim of the EC. This is the easily one of the top 4 drafts since Jordan/Hakeem IMO. What good is the Celts getting the 4-6th seeds in the East when they have no chance getting by Miami or Indy never mind the WC team in the Finals when we could mouldering much closer to the bottom in the WC. That's victim in my book.

Chronz
12-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Not sure, but the Celts are a victim of the EC. This is the easily one of the top 4 drafts since Jordan/Hakeem IMO. What good is the Celts getting the 4-6th seeds in the East when they have no chance getting by Miami or Indy never mind the WC team in the Finals when we could mouldering much closer to the bottom in the WC. That's victim in my book.

That question was directed towards him. I was more interested in seeing what he would have to say about your Rondo critique but he ignored it completely.