PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to rebuild for nyk

kip0922
12-17-2013, 06:20 PM
In my humble opinion I think it is time for KNICKS to scrap all ideas and rebuild. That being said, if we rebuild that means rebuild everything from the ground up.

1. broker a trade that will include Felton and Chandler to get a low maybe middle first round draft pick.

2. trade Shumpert and Stoudemire for a 1st round draft pick and salary dump

3. This is A big one trade Carmelo, Udrih, and Smith For a High draft pick and at least 2 Second round picks.

4. Dump Woodson,and Mills. Give the Keys to the Organization to Allan Houston for a couple of years maybe he soaked up some of Donnie Walsh's business sense.

1 Getting rid of felton and chandler only makes cap sense they are getting older and brittle, If the Knicks can find a trade partner like the Lakers for Jordan Hill and Pao Gasol which could work based on salary and add in chris smith as a throw away either way we will have cap room to sign a high end free agent to play with melo if he stays and we possibly could retain Hill which is a younger chandler in the making maybe even better.

2. Try to send STAT and Shump to Pheonix for expiring deals like Okafor to free up cap space and getting Frye as a stretch 4 if the knicks did the 2 above the line up for the remainder of the season would be
C Gasol/Hill/Okafor
PF Bargnani/Frye/Hill/Martin
SF Melo/MWP/Frye
SG J.R./Hardaway
PG Murray/Prigioni/Udrih

IF Scenario 2 is possible the knicks would free up 30+ Million Dollars for off season acquisitions like LEBRON to pair with MELO plus key role players like Lance Stephenson and Kyle Lowery.

3. The BIG ONE NO ONE WANTS TO DO IS THE MELO TRADE but it might make future since if we can get tons of assets in the form of picks and cap space to build a winner. Trade MELO to the mavs for expiring contracts of Marion, Carter, and Harris plus picks, buthe knicks do this trade they would definitely have to make all the other trades above and receive a few decent picks along the way. Then try to make a run at Lebron and maybe lure Melo Back(seriously doubt that would happen) but if not at least try to rebuild and get some assets in return.

4. Dump the whole coaching staff and Give Houston the Keys to the NYK franchise for a couple of years as GM and see if he can build a winner but all the hold overs such as woody and his coaching staff will have to go. Especially if you rebuild from scratch rookies and 2nd and 3rd year players will not have that bloated ego as the super stars and will be more receptive to learning under a new regime. Find a hot young college coach who has had success and bring him up to build a winner. Sorry Knicks fan you have waited this long for an elusive CHAMPIONSHIP whats a few more years building Look at the pacers and golden state, they have money to spend an d youthfulness on their side, the knicks need to stop trying to be the YANKEES and be the RANGERS and build not buy a team it just does not work.

ellisgw
12-17-2013, 06:25 PM
In my humble opinion I think it is time for KNICKS to scrap all ideas and rebuild. That being said, if we rebuild that means rebuild everything from the ground up.

1. broker a trade that will include Felton and Chandler to get a low maybe middle first round draft pick.

3. This is A big one trade Carmelo, Udrih, and Smith For a High draft pick and at least 2 Second round picks.

4. Dump Woodson,and Mills. Give the Keys to the Organization to Allan Houston for a couple of years maybe he soaked up some of Donnie Walsh's business sense.

1 Getting rid of felton and chandler only makes cap sense they are getting older and brittle, If the Knicks can find a trade partner like the Lakers for Jordan Hill and Pao Gasol which could work based on salary and add in chris smith as a throw away either way we will have cap room to sign a high end free agent to play with melo if he stays and we possibly could retain Hill which is a younger chandler in the making maybe even better.

2. Try to send STAT and Shump to Pheonix for expiring deals like Okafor to free up cap space and getting Frye as a stretch 4 if the knicks did the 2 above the line up for the remainder of the season would be
C Gasol/Hill/Okafor
SF Melo/MWP/Frye
SG J.R./Hardaway
PG Murray/Prigioni/Udrih

IF Scenario 2 is possible the knicks would free up 30+ Million Dollars for off season acquisitions like LEBRON to pair with MELO plus key role players like Lance Stephenson and Kyle Lowery.

3. The BIG ONE NO ONE WANTS TO DO IS THE MELO TRADE but it might make future since if we can get tons of assets in the form of picks and cap space to build a winner. Trade MELO to the mavs for expiring contracts of Marion, Carter, and Harris plus picks, buthe knicks do this trade they would definitely have to make all the other trades above and receive a few decent picks along the way. Then try to make a run at Lebron and maybe lure Melo Back(seriously doubt that would happen) but if not at least try to rebuild and get some assets in return.

4. Dump the whole coaching staff and Give Houston the Keys to the NYK franchise for a couple of years as GM and see if he can build a winner but all the hold overs such as woody and his coaching staff will have to go. Especially if you rebuild from scratch rookies and 2nd and 3rd year players will not have that bloated ego as the super stars and will be more receptive to learning under a new regime. Find a hot young college coach who has had success and bring him up to build a winner. Sorry Knicks fan you have waited this long for an elusive CHAMPIONSHIP whats a few more years building Look at the pacers and golden state, they have money to spend an d youthfulness on their side, the knicks need to stop trying to be the YANKEES and be the RANGERS and build not buy a team it just does not work.

once they knew amare was done they should have traded melo 2 years ago. Yes, they need to trade melo asap and rebuild.

jsthornton7
12-17-2013, 06:40 PM

Very bad deal for the Lakers.

We don't want Felton and his 3 year contract, Tyson Chandler is injury prone and on the wrong side of 30 (especially considering he is a player who relies on athleticism).

Jordan Hill is our best big and Pau Gasol is an expiring 20m contract for a team that is one of the premier free agent destinations.

WARRIORS@GR
12-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Very bad deal for the Lakers.

We don't want Felton and his 3 year contract, Tyson Chandler is injury prone and on the wrong side of 30 (especially considering he is a player who relies on athleticism).

Jordan Hill is our best big and Pau Gasol is an expiring 20m contract for a team that is one of the premier free agent destinations.What about Chris Smith?He's a beast,don't you like him?

jsthornton7
12-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Sure, i'll take him along with three 1st round draft picks.

BKLYNpigeon
12-17-2013, 07:40 PM
What about Chris Smith?He's a beast,don't you like him?

"Chris Smith, D-League MVP"

-knicks fans.

BKLYNpigeon
12-17-2013, 07:41 PM
I guess this means, Denver won in the Melo Trade.

dhopisthename
12-17-2013, 07:49 PM
the knicks don't have their pick they can't rebuild.

deaner
12-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Please don't change a thing with the Knicks. LoL.

king4day
12-17-2013, 08:04 PM
Shumpert isn't enough to pair with Amar'e to get rid of that contract. Probably have to include Hardaway and a future first too.

Knicks only real hope is to deal Melo for whatever they can get first. Then find takers for Chandler.

The negative is, they don't have a pick this year. So it wouldn't help their pick situation.

blahblahyoutoo
12-17-2013, 08:05 PM
wait, I thought either a) knicks is back! or b) knicks is tanking.

Paul Jeffrey
12-17-2013, 08:27 PM
the knicks don't have their pick they can't rebuild.

Rebuilding isn't restricted to the NBA draft. You can dump Melo for some nice young players and picks. For example you could potentially dump him off to Charlotte for MKG, Zeller and picks or something like that.

Paul Jeffrey
12-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Shumpert isn't enough to pair with Amar'e to get rid of that contract. Probably have to include Hardaway and a future first too.

Knicks only real hope is to deal Melo for whatever they can get first. Then find takers for Chandler.

The negative is, they don't have a pick this year. So it wouldn't help their pick situation.

Shumpert's value IMO isn't even half of what it once was before he tore his ACL.

To dump Amare, I agree they have to include Hardaway, Shumpert, and picks.

Dade County
12-17-2013, 09:04 PM
I don't know why a team would give anything wroth value for Melo, he could just walk at the end of the season. It's to late to get anything back good for Melo; so if they do trade him and get back a late 1st rd pick and maybe two 2nd rd picks, then Knick fans and their media will just spew garbage over the trade.

SO in short, I feel that they will just ride with it, and watch Melo walk away, unless they can make it to the ECF and loss to the HEAT :).

mjt20mik
12-17-2013, 09:21 PM
no picks till 2018 = no rebuild

deaner
12-17-2013, 09:29 PM
no picks till 2018 = no rebuild

The can always trade Chris Smith for a couple of first rounders.

BGeer091
12-17-2013, 09:40 PM
Knicks have 15 and 17 1st rounders.

We need to stay patient and let our guys get healthy.

I would however get rid of Woodson. I just don't feel he's an NBA coach.

Would I be in favor of a rebuild... I would but I'd do It with Shumpert, Hardaway and Chandler.

IndyRealist
12-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Knicks have 15 and 17 1st rounders.

We need to stay patient and let our guys get healthy.

I would however get rid of Woodson. I just don't feel he's an NBA coach.

Would I be in favor of a rebuild... I would but I'd do It with Shumpert, Hardaway and Chandler.

Chandler might not be around to see the 2015 pick join the team. I can see trading him, but I don't see a way to get any sort of lottery pick for him. Bad teams who would trade from him would probably become good enough to ruin that pick, otherwise they wouldn't have a reason to trade for him in the first place. And good teams don't have good picks to begin with.

Melo is tradeable, as is Shumpert and Hardaway. Anyone else you're probably going to have to pay other teams to take off your hands.

BGeer091
12-17-2013, 10:09 PM
^^I agree^^

torocan
12-17-2013, 10:09 PM
I don't know why a team would give anything wroth value for Melo, he could just walk at the end of the season. It's to late to get anything back good for Melo; so if they do trade him and get back a late 1st rd pick and maybe two 2nd rd picks, then Knick fans and their media will just spew garbage over the trade.

SO in short, I feel that they will just ride with it, and watch Melo walk away, unless they can make it to the ECF and loss to the HEAT :).

Not all teams that would want Melo have the cap space to sign him in FA and would only be able to get him by trading existing players. LA can sign him outright, a lot of other teams won't have the cap room.

However, Melo is a good enough player that if Melo was willing to extend his contract to play, *someone* would be willing to give up a decent number of assets and picks to lock him in. Heck, even on a rental some teams would give up some decent assets and picks.

Even with a loaded 2014 draft, how many teams would rather have a proven all star in Melo vs gambling on a shot at a draft pick for a 2014 prospect that *might* turn out to be an all star? Would you want to be the GM that turned down a Melo trade for the next great Draft bust?

IF the Knicks plan to rebuild, trading Melo is 100% the way to go.

TylerSL
12-17-2013, 10:16 PM

C Gasol/Hill/Okafor
SF Melo/MWP/Frye
SG J.R./Hardaway
PG Murray/Prigioni/Udrih

nobody is going to trade for Amare, the Knicks just need to amnesty him so they dont have to pay into the luxury tax because of him, he isnt worth the taxes the Knicks will have to pay. The New York Knicks are going nowhere and need to just turn the page. The Knicks need to trade Melo. If Melo signs an extension with whoever the Knicks trade him to, the Knicks could receive multiple first rounders, role players, and cap relief. They could package Chandler and Shump and receive a mid-late first round pick and some expirings.

The Knicks could then tank this season and get some young players with the picks accumulated in the Melo/Chandler deals and tank next season and get possibly another good player in the draft next season, all while having cap space to get a franchise player in the 2015 Free Agency class.

The 2015 Free agency will include Kevin Love, Rajon Rondo, Brook Lopez, Marc Gasol, Roy Hibbert, LaMarcus Aldridge, Manu Ginobili, and Tony Parker. If the Knicks blow up their roster now, they could acquire some draft picks and get younger so by 2015, they could have a young core of players that could possibly entice a star player to join them.

If the Knicks do not trade anyone and try to get as far as they can with their current roster, it could turn very badly for them. They may make the playoffs, but they would get bounced in the first round and Melo would most likely walk, as a team like the Lakers could easily sway him into signing. If Melo just walks then the Knicks would have to start all over, which would take years, see Cleveland after Lebron left.

Ultimately what the Knicks need is for Dolan to sell the team and get a new front office.

xxplayerxx23
12-17-2013, 10:45 PM
24 games into a season. Relax wait until around 45 to panic

torocan
12-17-2013, 10:54 PM
nobody is going to trade for Amare, the Knicks just need to amnesty him so they dont have to pay into the luxury tax because of him, he isnt worth the taxes the Knicks will have to pay. The New York Knicks are going nowhere and need to just turn the page. The Knicks need to trade Melo. If Melo signs an extension with whoever the Knicks trade him to, the Knicks could receive multiple first rounders, role players, and cap relief. They could package Chandler and Shump and receive a mid-late first round pick and some expirings.

The Knicks could then tank this season and get some young players with the picks accumulated in the Melo/Chandler deals and tank next season and get possibly another good player in the draft next season, all while having cap space to get a franchise player in the 2015 Free Agency class.

The 2015 Free agency will include Kevin Love, Rajon Rondo, Brook Lopez, Marc Gasol, Roy Hibbert, LaMarcus Aldridge, Manu Ginobili, and Tony Parker. If the Knicks blow up their roster now, they could acquire some draft picks and get younger so by 2015, they could have a young core of players that could possibly entice a star player to join them.

If the Knicks do not trade anyone and try to get as far as they can with their current roster, it could turn very badly for them. They may make the playoffs, but they would get bounced in the first round and Melo would most likely walk, as a team like the Lakers could easily sway him into signing. If Melo just walks then the Knicks would have to start all over, which would take years, see Cleveland after Lebron left.

Ultimately what the Knicks need is for Dolan to sell the team and get a new front office.

Amare can't be amnestied.

The Knicks used their amnesty on Chauncey Billups just prior to signing Tyson Chandler. And would you believe it was just a few months after they picked up Billups' team option.

The Knicks either trade Amare's expiring, or let it expire.

Jarvo
12-18-2013, 12:23 AM
24 games into a season. Relax wait until around 45 to panic

It's NY and you know how NY fans & sports writers get.

phoenix_bladen
12-18-2013, 01:39 AM
Knicks can't tank either way

They traded away picks and for the 15 and 17 picks they're swappable I believe so it would hurt them if they tried to tank

RipCity32
12-18-2013, 01:47 AM
They look pretty bad. The whole roster looks pretty terrible aside from Melo,Chandler and THJ. I think a rebuild would be beneficial. They should trade Melo for a couple of firsts and some young talent so they can start filling out their roster. Melo and Chandler could bring in enough assets for a pretty quick rebuild.

effen5
12-18-2013, 03:05 AM
I honestly would not accept a trade from NYIK unless they are giving up first round picks (which they don't have any because they hand those out like candy)

you will not get a first round pick for shumpert\amare, you'd probably have to give up first round picks to get rid of them

Melo is probably the only person I'd give up a future first round for, but just one.

I'm sorry but the players on the Knicks stock is soooo low.

effen5
12-18-2013, 03:10 AM

I'm not reading all that but from what I read, the knicks already used their amnesty clause on Billups and can't use it on Amare. I believe its a one and done clause (correct me if I'm wrong)

Knicks can't tank, they have no picks until 2045

They are seriously one of the worst run franchises in the past 15 years I've ever seen.

naps
12-18-2013, 03:44 AM
I still wonder why they were so quick to use that amnesty clause on Chauncey Billups. Knicks have no choice but to ride it for next half decade. Knicks and Nets both are in no position to rebuild since they don't have enough first round picks for next 5/6 years (Nets are in a deeper hole than the knicks though).

mrblisterdundee
12-18-2013, 03:52 AM
They have more than $72 million in contracts expiring the year after next. At that point, they should rebuild, unless they can get a player who takes over as leader of the team from Carmelo Anthony, who should basically be in the same role as Zach Randolph on the Grizzlies, except with more scoring.

Paul Jeffrey
12-18-2013, 06:32 AM

So they should just miss the playoffs this year and watch him walk away? I'd rather trade him.

GoferKing_
12-18-2013, 08:55 AM
Knicks are sooooo fck that it makes me laugh when i think about it. No picks, old players with big contracts. ;)

Ill21
12-18-2013, 09:31 AM
"Chris Smith, D-League MVP"

-knicks fans.

That's so cute

Crackadalic
12-18-2013, 09:38 AM
I'm all for a rebuild but can we be healthy first?

Felton miss games and is out again for 2 weeks
Pablo is out 2 weeks
Metta miss time in the beginning
Kmart and amare played 15 mins in the beginning that mess up the rotation badly
Amare is hurt again. K-mart out for games too
Jr had no games in pre season, miss the first 5 games and is still coming off knee surgery
And let's not forget out defensive anchor was out 6-7 weeks and should be ready tonight

Despit all that we are 3 games back from 8th and 4 from the 4th seed.

Tumstock
12-18-2013, 09:46 AM
Gerald wallace + 10 mil trade exception for melo ^^

Chrisclover
12-18-2013, 11:54 AM
melodrama,hehe

I guess this means, Denver won in the Melo Trade.

Chrisclover
12-18-2013, 11:58 AM
If Dolan can persuade Anthony to sign a contract then tanking is a goooood way .But you know ,Anthony is not patient and Dolan is not credible.So ,just sell

wait, I thought either a) knicks is back! or b) knicks is tanking.

0nekhmer
12-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Just give us your remaining assets and you can go for 8th seed with Lowry

TheIlladelph16
12-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Dupe account for 3rdasystem? Only two posters I've seen randomly capitalize full words and ramble on to that extent haha

mudvayne387
12-18-2013, 12:39 PM
A) Don't be silly, there are teams out there who would give up multiple firsts for Carmelo if he signed long term.
B) Amare can be traded, its just that no team is going to ship out expiring contracts back to the Knicks.
C) Tyson Chandler (if healthy) would fetch a hefty return if packaged with TH or Shumpert.
D) Felton would be a more than adequate backup on a number of contenders, but his contract is far from ideal.
E) The JR Smith signing was piss poor. He's a guy who needs to be playing on 1 and 2 year deals to keep him in check.

For as much as (we) Knick fans overate their talent, everyone else seems to underrate it. If this current group is kept in tact and a new coach is brought it in, then they will still win their division.

MonroeFAN
12-18-2013, 12:52 PM
No, they can't rebuild without the draft picks as mentioned here several times. They might as well continue to put that product out to sell tickets.

sep11ie
12-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Is it considered a rebuild if they were never very good to begin with?

shep33
12-18-2013, 01:05 PM
The Knicks will make the playoffs, because the east sucks. But I mean as long as lbj is in Miami and the pacers have pg for the next 5 years... I don't think there is anyone out there who thinks they can win a title, or even get out of the East.

Trade melo... to anybody who is willimg to bite. Take back a bad contract or two, but take as many picks back as possible.

I'd send him to Boston along with amare. Take back Wallace's bad contract, bass, Jeff green etc. but get back as many picks as possible.

Or run it by the kings. Rudy Gay etc. But again take back picks.

Obviously I doubt Boston does the deal, bit the kings are in full spend mode... at least it seems like it.

GoferKing_
12-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Kings can't trade the pick. Sorry. Even if we could, we don't want no part of NYK squad.

And btw. there is no point for NYK to tank, because they have no picks.xD

IndyRealist
12-18-2013, 01:37 PM
A) Don't be silly, there are teams out there who would give up multiple firsts for Carmelo if he signed long term.
B) Amare can be traded, its just that no team is going to ship out expiring contracts back to the Knicks.
C) Tyson Chandler (if healthy) would fetch a hefty return if packaged with TH or Shumpert.
D) Felton would be a more than adequate backup on a number of contenders, but his contract is far from ideal.
E) The JR Smith signing was piss poor. He's a guy who needs to be playing on 1 and 2 year deals to keep him in check.

For as much as (we) Knick fans overate their talent, everyone else seems to underrate it. If this current group is kept in tact and a new coach is brought it in, then they will still win their division.

A) I don't think any team out there will send back enough matching salary, PLUS multiple first round picks, for Melo without a guarantee he signs an extension. The Lakers traded for Dwight just on a player option, and that didn't work out very well.

B) I can't believe anyone would trade for Amare's non-insured contract, and have enough bad contracts/expirings to trade for a non-impact player. Sacramento's already been bled dry.

C) Chandler + THJ would be a win now move for any team, since Chandler will be well into his 30's when this contract is over. So what team has enough bad/expiring contracts to send back? And any picks you'd get back would be in the 20's, since any team trading for Chandler would not likely end the season in the lottery.

NYKNYGNYY
12-18-2013, 01:38 PM
No we have no picks

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Is it considered a rebuild if they were never very good to begin with?

so you mean that they are already/still rebuilding? lol

shep33
12-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Kings can't trade the pick. Sorry. Even if we could, we don't want no part of NYK squad.

And btw. there is no point for NYK to tank, because they have no picks.xD

Not about tanking, but it's more about acquiring assets until after amare expires. Then you rebuild with cap space and future picks that you've acquired from say a Melody, Shumpert and Chandler deal.