PDA

View Full Version : Bucks owner seeks to keep team in Milwaukee; Seattle takes Notice

NoahH
12-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Herb Kohl, owner of the Bucks announced he is looking for new owners to buy into the Milwaukee Bucks to keep the team in Milwaukee. This move will also facilitate the building of a new arena to replace the aging Bradley Center. Kohl did address the notion that the Bucks could be sold and moved if no new owners step up or if a new arena is not built. However, he stated the investors he is looking to add must be as committed as he is to keeping the Bucks in Milwaukee. Unlike the Maloofs', Kohl is a seemingly committed and loyal owner.

Over the next several months I will be considering broadening the ownership of the Bucks as a way to strengthen the franchise and keep it in Milwaukee. I have retained Steve Greenberg, Managing Director of Allen & Company, as my advisor. I have done business with Allen & Co. for over thirty years and they are a great organization. In the event new investor partners are added, they will need to be as committed to keeping the team in Milwaukee as I am.

There has been talk since the Sacramento Kings debacle about the Milwaukee Bucks being next on Seattle's radar for an NBA team. With a rich history, the NBA probably will not let the Bucks move to Seattle without a fight, but with low attendance, poor performance and an old arena, something needs to be done ion Milwaukee. Jabari Parker or Andrew Wiggins could help in the attendance / performance category.

The Bucks' current arena lease deal with the Bradley Center ends at the start of the 2017 season so the 2016-2017 season seems to be the time when we'll start seeing major talk on the Bucks either moving or staying (assuming an arena deal and new owner are not in place before then).

If the Bucks stay in Milwaukee it seems as though expansion is Seattle's only hope. With the Bobcats being rebranded, the Kings staying put and the Pelicans also being rebranded it doesn't seem like any other teams will be on the move anytime soon.

Thoughts?

Aaron Bruski's take on the situation in relation to relocation (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/16/bucks-owner-herb-kohl-seeking-new-investors-to-keep-the-team-in-milwaukee/)

Milwaukee Buck's Press Release on NBA.com (http://www.nba.com/bucks/release/milwaukee-bucks-presidentowner-herb-kohl-announces-plan-broaden-team-ownership-strengthen-fr)

Sactown
12-17-2013, 12:17 AM
Very cool that Kohl is dedicated to saving the team, he seems to genuinely have a heart. I hope they manage to keep the team in Milwaukee

JEDean89
12-17-2013, 12:53 AM
i'm down for them keeping the team in Milwaukee if they, like the Kings new ownership are more committed to winning. Milwaukee hasn't been known as a spender and I don't like small market teams feeling that they can't make money unless they barely spend it. Hopefully Henson, Giannis and Sanders can lead them back to the playoffs.

brewersfan729
12-17-2013, 01:04 AM
i'm down for them keeping the team in Milwaukee if they, like the Kings new ownership are more committed to winning. Milwaukee hasn't been known as a spender and I don't like small market teams feeling that they can't make money unless they barely spend it. Hopefully Henson, Giannis and Sanders can lead them back to the playoffs.

Kohl has spent money, he's just spent it terribly. If anything, he's been too willing to spend money and not willing to tank in order to get players actually worth spending money on (once their rookie contracts are up.)

jstone0716
12-17-2013, 01:10 PM
I hate the Bucks. All I can think of is some 70 year old with a long white beard & full real tree camo sitting in his deer stand, gutting his latest kill with a little 10x10 box TV watching the Bucks game. Why can't they just pick something like the Packers or Brewers and change the color scheme completely up. It's not that people hate the city they just have absolutely no "cool factor" to them.

Chronz
12-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Very cool that Kohl is dedicated to saving the team, he seems to genuinely have a heart. I hope they manage to keep the team in Milwaukee

This.

And its awesome that the Bucks are struggling bad right now, I assumed they were hoping for a playoff appearance but this is truly the best thing for them, its the best year to suck and I would like to see Milwaukee resurrected as a power. They have some nice pieces moving forward.

futureman
12-17-2013, 03:10 PM
These are exactly the kinds of tactics that makes the ping pong balls go one teams way.

Matrix3132
12-17-2013, 03:34 PM
I hate the Bucks. All I can think of is some 70 year old with a long white beard & full real tree camo sitting in his deer stand, gutting his latest kill with a little 10x10 box TV watching the Bucks game. Why can't they just pick something like the Packers or Brewers and change the color scheme completely up. It's not that people hate the city they just have absolutely no "cool factor" to them.

:crazy:

NoahH
12-17-2013, 03:40 PM
Yup.

As much as I want to see a team in Seattle, Milwaukee seems to be a deserving franchise. It's hard to look at attendance too because MOST teams who struggle from time to time struggle with attendance

shen
12-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Before Kings even got decided I told people Bucks would end up being the team moving to Seattle. I stand by that and the owner has done nothing to make me think anyone will be able to keep the Bucks in town. In the state of Wisconsin the Bucks are not even in top 5 sports teams they care about. Badgers rank higher, Marquette ranks higher, brewers rank higher, Packers easily dwarf the Bucks. Some people I know constantly name 29 NBA teams because they completely forget Milwaukee has an NBA team because of all the other teams/sports in Milwaukee that are cared about more then the Bucks. Personally I would prefer the Bucks stay put and actually become a regular presence in the playoffs. It just wont happen.

NoahH
12-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Before Kings even got decided I told people Bucks would end up being the team moving to Seattle. I stand by that and the owner has done nothing to make me think anyone will be able to keep the Bucks in town. In the state of Wisconsin the Bucks are not even in top 5 sports teams they care about. Badgers rank higher, Marquette ranks higher, brewers rank higher, Packers easily dwarf the Bucks. Some people I know constantly name 29 NBA teams because they completely forget Milwaukee has an NBA team because of all the other teams/sports in Milwaukee that are cared about more then the Bucks. Personally I would prefer the Bucks stay put and actually become a regular presence in the playoffs. It just wont happen.

Youre hoping for an expansion team rigt?

shen
12-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Youre hoping for an expansion team rigt?

That would be my preference. Though do it a little different then when Bobcats came into league. When they came the league told teams pick 10 guys you refuse to lose and Bobcats can have anyone not on your 10 player list. This time I would like it to be pick 6 players and have 2 expansion teams and they each submit a list of players they want from available pool.

ccg34
12-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Dang bro! Just bring a team to Seattle already whether by expansion or relocation. We got everything in place already in a great owner, arena, and fanbase.Seattle is hungry for some NBA

NoahH
12-17-2013, 06:20 PM
That would be my preference. Though do it a little different then when Bobcats came into league. When they came the league told teams pick 10 guys you refuse to lose and Bobcats can have anyone not on your 10 player list. This time I would like it to be pick 6 players and have 2 expansion teams and they each submit a list of players they want from available pool.

Yeah they did the same thing with the Grizzlies and Raptors which lead to the eventual downfall of the Grizzlies and almost failure of the Raptors since they had terrible teams and were barred from #1 draft picks.

Just look at the talent they got... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_NBA_Expansion_Draft
Same with Charlotte.. Absolute garbage except Gerald Wallace... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NBA_Expansion_Draft

shen
12-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Yeah they did the same thing with the Grizzlies and Raptors which lead to the eventual downfall of the Grizzlies and almost failure of the Raptors since they had terrible teams and were barred from #1 draft picks.

Just look at the talent they got... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_NBA_Expansion_Draft
Same with Charlotte.. Absolute garbage except Gerald Wallace... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NBA_Expansion_Draft

Most teams after top 8 players no one around of real worth. Now days though if only let teams protect 6 (basically starting 5 and 6th man) if you have an actual plan set by gm and coach you can build a winning team. Griz and Raptors picked a number of well over the hill players or rookies no one heard of. Same with Bobcats.

In fact that might make an interesting exercise. Let us assume each team is picking starting 5 and 6th man (lets assume 6th man is whoever on bench plays most minutes) to be off limits. Look at each team and pick the players you would build a expansion team with for whatever style you prefer to run.

NoahH
12-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Most teams after top 8 players no one around of real worth. Now days though if only let teams protect 6 (basically starting 5 and 6th man) if you have an actual plan set by gm and coach you can build a winning team. Griz and Raptors picked a number of well over the hill players or rookies no one heard of. Same with Bobcats.

In fact that might make an interesting exercise. Let us assume each team is picking starting 5 and 6th man (lets assume 6th man is whoever on bench plays most minutes) to be off limits. Look at each team and pick the players you would build a expansion team with for whatever style you prefer to run.

Ok, BUT im gonna assume teams are SOMETIMES going to keep their prospects over players who are currently starting on their team. For example, Bucks would keep Antentukumpo over Caron Butler. Also we're assuming some teams would cut players lose in order to attempt to clear salary eg. Knicks would not protect Amar'e

TEAM 1

PG Aaron Brooks / Greivis Vasquez
SG Randy Foye / J.R. Smith / MarShon Brooks
SF Caron Butler / Shane Battier / Dorrell Wright
PF Carlos Boozer / Ed Davis / Andrea Bargnani
C Andrew Bogut / Andray Blatche

TEAM 2

PG Darren Collison / Jameer Nelson / Jarrett Jack
SG Marcus Thornton / Ben Gordon
SF Marvin Williams / Shawn Marion / PJ Tucker
PF Glen Davis / Derrick Williams / Thomas Robinson
C Anderson Varejao / Channing Frye

torocan
12-18-2013, 12:20 AM
45 years in Milwaukee. I'd hate to see such a long time franchise fold and move.

I hope Seattle gets a franchise, but it would be sad if it was the Bucks.

NoahH
12-19-2013, 04:47 AM
45 years in Milwaukee. I'd hate to see such a long time franchise fold and move.

I hope Seattle gets a franchise, but it would be sad if it was the Bucks.

Yup. Well it was 40 years in Seattle and apparently no one had any problem with the Sonics moving so guess we'll see what Adam Silver / owners think

Goose17
12-19-2013, 05:16 AM
If they keep them there they need to rebrand.

I would like to see a team in Seattle but the Bucks don't deserve to be moved imo.

torocan
12-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Yup. Well it was 40 years in Seattle and apparently no one had any problem with the Sonics moving so guess we'll see what Adam Silver / owners think

A lot of folks thought that Seattle got screwed, not just the fans in Seattle. Wasn't right then, still not right now. And the way that Seattle got screwed is different than what's happening with the Bucks.

The Bucks ownership want to stay, I still wonder if the Seattle owners ever had any serious intention of staying.

NoahH
12-23-2013, 03:08 AM
A lot of folks thought that Seattle got screwed, not just the fans in Seattle. Wasn't right then, still not right now. And the way that Seattle got screwed is different than what's happening with the Bucks.

The Bucks ownership want to stay, I still wonder if the Seattle owners ever had any serious intention of staying.

Bennett did not have any intention in the slightest of staying