PDA

View Full Version : Some super hyped draft prospects NBA comparisons (ESPN article)

DreamShaker
12-16-2013, 02:02 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=2679

So this article is claiming to gather the information directly from NBA executives when looking at some of the big draft picks that will most likely be playing in the NBA next year. I find some of these comparisons interesting because this draft class is being compared to 84 (Hakeem, MJ, Barkley, Stockton) and 03 (Lebron, Wade, Melo, Bosh), but this article is a bummer if you take this guy seriously. I just can't buy some of these comparisons, but thought they would be interesting to debate. Here is some of the key comps, some aren't terrible, but yeah. Not exactly HOF guys they are being compared to.

Jabari Parker- Less athletic Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson

Andrew Wiggins- Rudy Gay. Also said he could see Wiggins never being an All-Star.

Joel Embiid- Andrew Bynum

Julius Randle- Zach Randolph

Aaron Gordon- Kenneth Faried

None of those guys are bad players by any means, but none of those guys are exactly franchise guys. Thought these were interesting. Thoughts? And do you have better comps for these guys?

RipCity32
12-16-2013, 02:11 PM
It's possible, People pump up some guys every year. If Wiggins comes into the league without a great shot then I guess he would be like a Rudy Gay. Hopefully not a chucker like him though.

2-ONE-5
12-16-2013, 02:42 PM
those a ridiculous comparisons. just watch them play right now its easy to see they are all far better then this article suggests. teams wouldnt be tanking left and right if this article was accurate

Cal827
12-16-2013, 02:45 PM
So the Raptors dealt Rudy Gay in order to tank and try and nab Wiggins, who in comparisons is viewed as the next Rudy Gay

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................................

Well, I'm not so interested in tanking anymore lol

RipCity32
12-16-2013, 03:21 PM
those a ridiculous comparisons. just watch them play right now its easy to see they are all far better then this article suggests. teams wouldnt be tanking left and right if this article was accurate

Aside from Gay those are all pretty good players they are being compared too. The guy is probably just saying people are expecting a bit much. Kinda like you are with your post expecting them to all be superstars when college and the NBA is a whole different ball game.

jstone0716
12-16-2013, 03:32 PM
Jabari Parker- Melo/Robinson but think we will be an much better passer & shot blocker

Andrew Wiggins- Rudy Gay/Paul George/Kahwi Leonard.. I can see the Gay thing if he doesn't develop his shot, but he is far too smart and humble to be a chucker, he just wouldn't average a ton of points.

Joel Embiid- Andrew Bynum <-- pretty fair comparison just hopefully more durable

Julius Randle- Zach Randolph + elite defense

Aaron Gordon- Reminds me of a mix between Kenneth Faried and Drummond

DreamShaker
12-16-2013, 03:34 PM
So the Raptors dealt Rudy Gay in order to tank and try and nab Wiggins, who in comparisons is viewed as the next Rudy Gay

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................................

Well, I'm not so interested in tanking anymore lol

Pretty rotten irony. Lol. But I also hear he might be the next T-Mac. That I could get more excited about!

2-ONE-5
12-16-2013, 04:06 PM
Aside from Gay those are all pretty good players they are being compared too. The guy is probably just saying people are expecting a bit much. Kinda like you are with your post expecting them to all be superstars when college and the NBA is a whole different ball game.

not really. maybe Embiid to a healthy Bynum works. But Wiggins plays nothing like Gay and Parker is much close to a Peirce/Melo than Robinson and Randle is a way better athlete than ZBo.

ManRam
12-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Rudy Gay is immensely talented, even I (a Rudy Gay hater before it became trendy ;)) have to admit that. His problem is his approach and his head. Give him LeBron's intelligence and mentality and he's a super star. Instead he's got Josh Smith's.

I don't think being compared to Gay's skill set is a bad thing. Have your head on straight and that makes for a great scorer, a plus rebounder and even a very solid defender.

Now, do I think that's a great comparison? Not really.

Hawkeye15
12-16-2013, 05:31 PM
not painting the same picture many had for this class haha

JNA17
12-16-2013, 05:38 PM
None of those guys are bad players by any means, but none of those guys are exactly franchise guys. Thought these were interesting. Thoughts? And do you have better comps for these guys?

What? How? Because BSPN says so?

Adam Morrison was also compared to be the next Larry freaking Bird and Gred Oden was supposed to be Bill Russel.

Parker imo looks like a franchise player while Wiggins is more of a question mark. Julius Randle is going to be a freaking star though. IMO, Randle is the best out of everyone.

Bishnoff
12-16-2013, 06:14 PM

So this article is claiming to gather the information directly from NBA executives when looking at some of the big draft picks that will most likely be playing in the NBA next year. I find some of these comparisons interesting because this draft class is being compared to 84 (Hakeem, MJ, Barkley, Stockton) and 03 (Lebron, Wade, Melo, Bosh), but this article is a bummer if you take this guy seriously. I just can't buy some of these comparisons, but thought they would be interesting to debate. Here is some of the key comps, some aren't terrible, but yeah. Not exactly HOF guys they are being compared to.

Andrew Wiggins- Rudy Gay. Also said he could see Wiggins never being an All-Star.

Embiid - Bynum is the only comparison I agree with there, but I haven't seen Gordon play as yet.

ThaDubs
12-16-2013, 06:21 PM
If Jabari correctly utilizes his skillset and develops well, he could be something special.

ThaDubs
12-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Don't sleep on Dante!!! All I'm saying.

alexander_37
12-16-2013, 07:14 PM
Wiggins isn't nearly as strong as Gay but is infinitely faster and more athletic. As an athlete he is more similar to Kobe ( basketball skill and work ethic not being accounted for.)

Linkels
12-16-2013, 07:25 PM

So he excluded Marcus Smart?

ThaDubs
12-16-2013, 07:44 PM

Marcus Smart was compared to Harden where I read.

DreamShaker
12-17-2013, 03:15 AM

He was just listing freshmen.

DreamShaker
12-17-2013, 03:18 AM
Marcus Smart was compared to Harden where I read.

That's an odd comparison. Granted, haven't seen him play that much, but they don't even play the same position.

ThaDubs
12-17-2013, 04:01 AM
That's an odd comparison. Granted, haven't seen him play that much, but they don't even play the same position.

Both can play 1 and 2 comfortably, drive well, finish with contact, hit the outside jumper, find teammates, etc.

sammyvine
12-17-2013, 08:56 AM
what about dante exum?

ThaDubs
12-17-2013, 08:09 PM
what about dante exum?

Eh. I'd say he's a little bit like MCW

Bishnoff
12-17-2013, 09:45 PM
Both can play 1 and 2 comfortably, drive well, finish with contact, hit the outside jumper, find teammates, etc.

Yep, I think it's a good comparison.

Bishnoff
12-17-2013, 09:48 PM
Eh. I'd say he's a little bit like MCW

Not a bad comparison, But Exum is a lot more "score-first" orientated than MCW. Exum is possibly more athletic too.

Gibby23
12-18-2013, 12:25 AM
Embiid - Bynum is the only comparison I agree with there, but I haven't seen Gordon play as yet.

Did you see "Big Dog" at Purdue? He was one of the best college players ever. He had more hype on him than Grant Hill and Jason Kidd that year. He averaged 30ppg and 10rpg in his last year of school.

Gibby23
12-18-2013, 12:28 AM
Not a bad comparison, But Exum is a lot more "score-first" orientated than MCW. Exum is possibly more athletic too.

Exum reminds me of Penny Hardaway.

Bishnoff
12-18-2013, 12:38 AM
Did you see "Big Dog" at Purdue? He was one of the best college players ever. He had more hype on him than Grant Hill and Jason Kidd that year. He averaged 30ppg and 10rpg in his last year of school.

I didn't. I was 7-9 years old back then, and without Internet/live streaming and living in Australia I didn't get to see a lot of the great college players from back in the day. You're right though, he had amazing numbers from what I can see.

Bishnoff
12-18-2013, 12:39 AM

Yep, I think that's nbadraft.net's comparison too. Penny pre-injuries is a tough act to follow.

Gibby23
12-18-2013, 01:02 AM
I didn't. I was 7-9 years old back then, and without Internet/live streaming and living in Australia I didn't get to see a lot of the great college players from back in the day. You're right though, he had amazing numbers from what I can see.

He was insane. But didn't live up to the hype in the NBA. He was good, but not what everyone expected.

ThaDubs
12-18-2013, 01:09 AM

Yeah, I heard Exum FLIES down the court.

ThaDubs
12-18-2013, 01:10 AM

Yeah, that's the second guy I would compare him to.

ThaDubs
12-18-2013, 01:10 AM
Yep, I think that's nbadraft.net's comparison too. Penny pre-injuries is a tough act to follow.

Correct.

shep33
12-18-2013, 01:26 AM
Julius Randle is nothing like Zbo to me. Way more athletic, can handle the ball and has great quickness

shep33
12-18-2013, 01:30 AM
Jabari in his freshman year so far is averaging 22ppg, 8 rpg, over a block and a steal per game, while shooting 55% from the field and 47% from 3.

Glenn Robinson was a freak in college, but Jabari will be a better player

thaShady
12-18-2013, 01:50 AM
What about Marcus Smart?

hornetsfansydne
12-18-2013, 01:51 AM
Don't sleep on Dante!!! All I'm saying.

Any word on if Exum will bypass college or go straight to the draft?

ThaDubs
12-18-2013, 02:53 AM

Don't think so. He should play college ball unless he's definitely ready.

Fun fact: his dad played with Michael Jordan :p

2-ONE-5
12-18-2013, 11:51 AM

hes going to the draft but i think he is making an official announcement after the new year

JEDean89
12-18-2013, 02:36 PM
^^^^ he has agents and he's definitely in the draft. jabari, wiggins, embiid, randle, smart are all locks to go, vonleh and gordon I could see staying, unless Arizona wins a chip, then I see Gordon declaring. I really want Vonleh, he is the defensive monster version of randle, but Indiana has a history of guys staying and then going high in the draft (Zeller, Oladipo). but ya this draft could go up to 9 deep if Saric ends up being good, Vonleh continues his excellent play and Exum is the beast he appears to be.

To me it's more
Exum - More athletic Harden, probably will play the 2 but run the offense
Wiggins - Lebron light, his athleticism is hyper elite, only a few players his size have ever had this kind of athleticism but i don't think he is the playmaker Lebron is nor will he ever weigh 250 pounds in the nba
Smart - Rose, big, strong and a good scorer, defender and playmaker, total package
Parker - T-Mac, underrated athleticism, unreal scoring potential, guy can average 30+ on the next level
Embiid - Bynum-esque, he is more athletic and doesn't carry all the extra weight Bynum does
Gordon - Griffin, maybe a 6-9 Griffin with handles and less strength and better shot
Vonleh - I like the Hakeem comps on defense but isn't that polished yet on offense, we'll no more later in the season
Lavine - I see him more as the Penny Hardaway type

Heediot
12-19-2013, 09:20 AM
^^^^ he has agents and he's definitely in the draft. jabari, wiggins, embiid, randle, smart are all locks to go, vonleh and gordon I could see staying, unless Arizona wins a chip, then I see Gordon declaring. I really want Vonleh, he is the defensive monster version of randle, but Indiana has a history of guys staying and then going high in the draft (Zeller, Oladipo). but ya this draft could go up to 9 deep if Saric ends up being good, Vonleh continues his excellent play and Exum is the beast he appears to be.

To me it's more
Exum - More athletic Harden, probably will play the 2 but run the offense
Wiggins - Lebron light, his athleticism is hyper elite, only a few players his size have ever had this kind of athleticism but i don't think he is the playmaker Lebron is nor will he ever weigh 250 pounds in the nba
Smart - Rose, big, strong and a good scorer, defender and playmaker, total package
Parker - T-Mac, underrated athleticism, unreal scoring potential, guy can average 30+ on the next level
Embiid - Bynum-esque, he is more athletic and doesn't carry all the extra weight Bynum does
Gordon - Griffin, maybe a 6-9 Griffin with handles and less strength and better shot
Vonleh - I like the Hakeem comps on defense but isn't that polished yet on offense, we'll no more later in the season
Lavine - I see him more as the Penny Hardaway type

Parker 30 Plus at the next level? Durant and Beasley dominated even more in college and Durant doesn't even average 30. He'll be closer to a Melo, right now if you put length on him he struggles, so we'll see how he handles the nba. Defensively is where the concern is, is he fast enough for the 3, strong enough fir the 4?

Wiggins to me = Wade at SF. Wade will have better handles, Wiggins will be better defensively. Both will be elite slashers and all around players.

Embiiid = Raw to me, I don't really see Bynum as much as I see a hybrid between Bynum and A Davis.