PDA

View Full Version : Kings pursuing Rondo, willing to give up Thomas and McLemore

silvTeg98
12-16-2013, 04:22 AM
NBA Trade News: Sacramento Kings to Get Rajon Rondo, Gerald Wallace; Celtics Receive Isiah Thomas, Ben McLeMore & Draft Picks in Proposed Blockbuster Deal

http://ca.ibtimes.com/articles/530352/20131215/nba-trade-news-rumors.htm

The Sacramento Kings are reportedly preparing a package for Boston Celtics All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo, a reliable league source disclosed on Thursday.

After trading for Derrick Williams and the Rudy Gay this season, the Kings continue to be aggressive on the trading front, but this time they are looking to acquire the reigning assists champion.

View Full Image
Reuters
Rajon Rondo Celtics

The Celtics front office stressed that they have no intention trading away Rondo, who is still rehabilitating from an ACL injury. However, the Kings are willing to trade away their young stars and draft picks for a shot at landing the prolific floor general.

According to NBA Buzz, the Kings are ready to send third-year point guard Isiah Thomas, rookie shooting guard Ben McLemore, shooting guard Marcos Thornton, power forward Jason Thompson, and two future first-round picks to the Celtics for Rondo.

Spearheaded by a new ownership, the Kings envision a formidable starting lineup consists of Rondo, Gay, Williams and center Demarcus Cousins. Sacramento has not appeared in the postseason since the 2005-2006 season, the last year of Rick Adelman as a coach. However, the efforts being put into by the current ownership only showed the Kings' intention to contend for a playoff spot after several years of futility.

More News

2013/14 UEFA Europa League Round of 32 and Round of 16 Draw: Where to Watch Live and Preview
Arsenal Transfer News: Arsene Wenger and Bacary Sagna to Sign New Contracts Next Month?
Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Try to Sneak Behind Manchester United to Land Inter Midfielder
Must Read

Bangkok ProtestProtests Over Anti-Islamic Movie Spreading In Asia; Indonesia Sees Violence
Worldwide Cloud Services Market To Surpass $109 Billion In 2012: GartnerWorldwide Cloud Services Market To Surpass $109 Billion In 2012

Bill Simons' Trade Proposal

Even before this trade rumours broke out, hardcore Celtics fan and ESPN NBA analyst Bill Simmons already predicted the Kings will be trying to nab Rondo via trade this season. Here's Simmons' version of Kings-Celtics deal:

"The Celtics give up Rondo, Gerald Wallace and MarShon Brooks in exchange for the expiring contracts of John Salmons, Patrick Patterson, Jimmer Fredette and Greivis Vasquez, as well as rookie Ben McLemore," via Bleacher Sports.

Salmons, Patterson and Vasques were already traded to the Raptors as part of the Rudy Gay deal. Nevertheless, the Kings still have the assets to make this blockbuster trade, knowing the Celtics are after the draft picks.

Hot Now: NBA Trade News: L.A Lakers to Trade Pau Gasol for Tyson Chandler, J.R Smith

MarShon Brooks, who was one of several personnel traded by the Brooklyn Nets to make last summer's blockbuster deal work, could be moved again as he struggled to find solid minutes under head coach Brad Stevens.

So far, the Celtics have remained focused on having Rondo back in January before assessing if he's tradable or not. Boston is surprisingly in the playoff mix because of the outstanding play of Jordan Crawford, Avery Bradley and Jeff Green. For now, stay tuned for another stunning trade development.

Thoughts?

Raps08-09 Champ
12-16-2013, 04:28 AM
I realize that the title is the same as the article but that is misleading.

hyphy king 88
12-16-2013, 04:29 AM
We can't trade future first round picks until we've satisfied the pick to the Cavaliers, which could be conveyed as late as 2017.

JNA17
12-16-2013, 04:30 AM
Hot Now: NBA Trade News: L.A Lakers to Trade Pau Gasol for Tyson Chandler, J.R Smith

Switch J.R with Shumpert or Tim Hardaway Jr and I do that deal instantly.

Oh the Rondo trade? I feel the Kings give way too much for a guy that we have no idea how Rondo will turn out after injury. Even then, he's mostly just a good passer and defender. Not much else. Giving up Ben Mac and Isiah Thomas is foolish imo.

mrblisterdundee
12-16-2013, 04:35 AM
You definitely embellished the title a bit, but that's an interesting concept. Rajon Rondo (27) not that old, and he seems dedicated to helping the Celtics. But Avery Bradley, Jordan Crawford, Isiah Thomas and Ben McLemore sounds pretty deep, young and at least somewhat talented back court.
Meanwhile, the Kings will be their best since Chris Webber led them.

JNA17
12-16-2013, 04:43 AM
You definitely embellished the title a bit, but that's an interesting concept. Rajon Rondo (27) not that old, and he seems dedicated to helping the Celtics. But Avery Bradley, Jordan Crawford, Isiah Thomas and Ben McLemore sounds pretty deep, young and at least somewhat talented back court.
Meanwhile, the Kings will be their best since Chris Webber led them.

Who's their SG though? All I can figure out is Rondo-?-Gay-Williams-Cousins

I mean it's ok I guess. But they lack depth and they pretty much give away their entire future for a B star lineup at best.

KniCks4LiFe
12-16-2013, 04:48 AM
no way.. I call BS.

Kings Faithful
12-16-2013, 04:50 AM
Who's their SG though? All I can figure out is Rondo-?-Gay-Williams-Cousins

I mean it's ok I guess. But they lack depth and they pretty much give away their entire future for a B star lineup at best.

Well, if this trade were to hypothetically go through, we'd have Marcus Thornton as our SG... he's a good player but he's had an absolute garbage year, so the sg situation would worry me. Either D-Will or Gerald Wallace would be coming off the bench. Also Carl Landry is still on the team and projected to come back around all star break. We're still not deep, but we have some good players.

Vincent33
12-16-2013, 04:53 AM
If the Kings are willing to give that up for Rondo, Boston has to jump all over it immediately.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-16-2013, 04:54 AM
Well, if this trade were to hypothetically go through, we'd have Marcus Thornton as our SG... he's a good player but he's had an absolute garbage year, so the sg situation would worry me. Either D-Will or Gerald Wallace would be coming off the bench. Also Carl Landry is still on the team and projected to come back around all star break. We're still not deep, but we have some good players.

He's being sent in the apparent trade proposal.

JNA17
12-16-2013, 04:54 AM

I also like Isiah Thomas and Ben Mac a lot on your team. They both imo have a pretty damn good future.

But your a Kings fan so you would probably know more than me. What are your thoughts on this? Would you do this deal?

KniCks4LiFe
12-16-2013, 04:55 AM
If the Kings are willing to give that up for Rondo, Boston has to jump all over it immediately.

If your Boston get it done in the next mins. SAC might be drunk tonight.

hyphy king 88
12-16-2013, 04:59 AM
This deal isn't happening. Link mentioned sending picks which can't be traded for another few years, Mike Malone has mentioned publicly that Thomas will be the starting point guard for the rest of the season, and the Kings are in love with McClemore. I find this link bogus.

Kingz4L
12-16-2013, 05:01 AM
I really like Rondo but giving up IT would be hard to swallow. Especially if you don't really know if Gay or Rondo are willing to stay long term.

KniCks4LiFe
12-16-2013, 05:08 AM
the site looks legit. Lou Ramon Aguila is a sports writer but I have never heard of him.

tredigs
12-16-2013, 05:10 AM
Sounds like a bull **** speculative trade to me. OP, why make it seem like this is a done deal?

KniCks4LiFe
12-16-2013, 05:12 AM
Sounds like a bull **** speculative trade to me. OP, why make it seem like this is a done deal?

if there's ever a package that would land Rondo early. That would be it.

hugepatsfan
12-16-2013, 05:14 AM
I really like Rondo but giving up IT would be hard to swallow. Especially if you don't really know if Gay or Rondo are willing to stay long term.

There were rumors a couple years back that Rondo wanted Gay in BOS, for what that's worth.

Kings Faithful
12-16-2013, 05:19 AM
I'm conflicted. B-Mac has a future. probably not a star, but can be a damn good player. And Thomas has been ballin' out of control. But i think we'd be closer to perennial playoff status if the trade went through. It's been so long for us that I think a lot of Kings fans wouldn't mind slightly mortgaging our future to taste it again. In the proposed trade we are also getting rid of Thompson who most Kings fans are absolutely sick of, as well as getting back long time favorite Wallace, so thats cool too. I'm honestly not sure what I'd do though.

PacersForLife
12-16-2013, 05:23 AM
So just to be clear, this is just a rumored proposal that the Kings are supposedly prepared to make, right? I'm not seeing anything about this anywhere else.

Kingz4L
12-16-2013, 05:25 AM
I'm conflicted. B-Mac has a future. probably not a star, but can be a damn good player. And Thomas has been ballin' out of control. But i think we'd be closer to perennial playoff status if the trade went through. It's been so long for us that I think a lot of Kings fans wouldn't mind slightly mortgaging our future to taste it again. In the proposed trade we are also getting rid of Thompson who most Kings fans are absolutely sick of, as well as getting back long time favorite Wallace, so thats cool too. I'm honestly not sure what I'd do though.

I hear ya, as long as Rondo and Rudy are willing to stay long term I'm all for it. Nonetheless Rondo would make Cousins look like superstar out there with his court vision.

Kingz4L
12-16-2013, 05:26 AM
So just to be clear, this is just a rumored proposal that the Kings are supposedly prepared to make, right? I'm not seeing anything about this anywhere else.

Definitely, but this is a forum so these type of discussions are appropriate and also fun in my opinion.

PacersForLife
12-16-2013, 05:28 AM
Definitely, but this is a forum so these type of discussions are appropriate and also fun in my opinion.
I agree, I like talking about trade rumors and stuff as much as the next guy. Just kinda thrown off by the title is all.

JNA17
12-16-2013, 05:33 AM
I hear ya, as long as Rondo and Rudy are willing to stay long term I'm all for it. Nonetheless Rondo would make Cousins look like superstar out there with his court vision.

But Cousins is already practically there or will be by the end of this year if not now.

It's not like having a Chris Paul or Deron Williams kind of PG here. Rondo is not much of a threat offensively. While he is certaintly a very good defender and passer, you pretty much know what you are going to get.

How would Cousins benefit THAT MUCH from Rondo? Does Rondo REALLY make players much better around him? I haven't really seen much evidence of that being the case. Especially when Cousins is already pretty close to the best center in the league anyway.

Kingz4L
12-16-2013, 05:46 AM
But Cousins is already practically there or will be by the end of this year if not now.

It's not like having a Chris Paul or Deron Williams kind of PG here. Rondo is not much of a threat offensively. While he is certaintly a very good defender and passer, you pretty much know what you are going to get.

How would Cousins benefit THAT MUCH from Rondo? Does Rondo REALLY make players much better around him? I haven't really seen much evidence of that being the case. Especially when Cousins is already pretty close to the best center in the league anyway.

What we need more than anything right now is ball movement, Rondo would make the whole team better.

As for Cousins, I think his biggest struggles is getting easy shots, he needs a pass first point guard who can find him at the right time to get him to the next level.

FriedTofuz
12-16-2013, 06:24 AM
if that happens, it's a pretty damn good trade for both teams.

FriedTofuz
12-16-2013, 06:24 AM
and LOL at Knick fans who thought shumpert + tim hardaway JR + a 1st rounder could get rondo.. Sacrementos deal is waht you call fair value for rondo.

seikou8
12-16-2013, 06:27 AM
Switch J.R with Shumpert or Tim Hardaway Jr and I do that deal instantly.

Oh the Rondo trade? I feel the Kings give way too much for a guy that we have no idea how Rondo will turn out after injury. Even then, he's mostly just a good passer and defender. Not much else. Giving up Ben Mac and Isiah Thomas is foolish imo.

no be lucky u get chandler and then well have the soft front court ever if do that deal

R. Johnson#3
12-16-2013, 07:54 AM

This

R. Johnson#3
12-16-2013, 07:54 AM
if that happens, it's a pretty damn good trade for both teams.

No it's not.

sunsfan88
12-16-2013, 07:58 AM
How are people in this thread so stupid to actually think this could be a possibility or that it's even a realistic option?

How the hell can SAC afford

Gay at $18 million
Cousins at $10 million
Wallace at $10 million
Rondo at $14 million

$24 million incoming salary for the rookie contracts of Thomas and McLemore?

I have never been more embarrassed of PSD.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-16-2013, 08:49 AM
and LOL at Knick fans who thought shumpert + tim hardaway JR + a 1st rounder could get rondo.. Sacrementos deal is waht you call fair value for rondo.

What are you talking about?

Shumpert alone would get them Wade, maybe even Lebron

imbetterthanyou
12-16-2013, 09:47 AM
This seems like giving up way too much for Rondo IMO. I like the idea of Rondo Gay and Cousins but it would sap our depth up completely (as if we had a lot already) Kings FO needs to cool it and just try to get rid of the Thornton & Thompson contracts ASAP. Can't contend overnight, teams like the Knicks that try to do this every year just fail. Rather take the first round pick we have in this draft and get another solid player and then look to make a move.

bholly
12-16-2013, 10:10 AM
We can't trade future first round picks until we've satisfied the pick to the Cavaliers, which could be conveyed as late as 2017.

You can, it just has to be worded such that it can't be conveyed until 2 years after the pick is sent to the Cavs. That's allowed and happens a decent amount.

Iron24th
12-16-2013, 10:24 AM
terrible thread

conway429
12-16-2013, 11:09 AM
How are people in this thread so stupid to actually think this could be a possibility or that it's even a realistic option?

How the hell can SAC afford

Gay at $18 million
Cousins at $10 million
Wallace at $10 million
Rondo at $14 million

$24 million incoming salary for the rookie contracts of Thomas and McLemore?

I have never been more embarrassed of PSD.

Cousins doesn't make 10 million....
But either way, salaries could match by throwing in 2 of Thornton/Thompson/Landry
Not that I think this trade rumor is legit however.

leprechaun5
12-16-2013, 11:38 AM
What we need more than anything right now is ball movement, Rondo would make the whole team better.

As for Cousins, I think his biggest struggles is getting easy shots, he needs a pass first point guard who can find him at the right time to get him to the next level.

Rondo doesn't move the ball , btw he's totally useless without the ball .

todu82
12-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Yeah, Rondo's a good player and all but that's to much of the Kings future to be given up for him.

Randy West
12-16-2013, 12:10 PM
This would be foolish for the Kings, we don't even know if Rondo is the same player after the medical issues. That would be a great trade for the C's and a terrible trade for the Kings. While I think the Kings front office is looking to be aggressive I don't know that they are that foolish.

KniCks4LiFe
12-16-2013, 12:14 PM
This seems like giving up way too much for Rondo IMO. I like the idea of Rondo Gay and Cousins but it would sap our depth up completely (as if we had a lot already) Kings FO needs to cool it and just try to get rid of the Thornton & Thompson contracts ASAP. Can't contend overnight, teams like the Knicks that try to do this every year just fail. Rather take the first round pick we have in this draft and get another solid player and then look to make a move.

First off not to you. But to people that say LOL to Knicks fans. We don't all think that way. For every 3 Knicks fan you encounter in a thread thinking it does, there are 9 of us that know better.

First things first if you're the Celtics you do this deal.

And come to think of it right now, if you're SAC and the price is Isaiah, Ben + 2 picks. You make this happen. Rondo is the type of PG a guy like Gay or Cousins will benefit from. He enhances the post game, the pick n' roll game. Isaiah is an awesome talent, Ben McLemore is an incredible rookie. But remember rookies hit walls and you just brought in Rudy Gay who does just what Ben does and will likely take shots away from him.

So weighing all of this. SAC has to make that deal. And here's why, you're not building it around McLemore, you're building it around Cousins. Rondo/Cousins/Gay ... and don't forget Rondo/Gay have a connection since the H.S. all american games. Rondo was KY and Gay was UCONN, they had friendly rivalries. So getting along won't be an issue.

Are people saying they can't draft another McLemore? or Isaiah? it hurts but you have a possibility of landing Rondo, who is an allstar PG. And could make them go from pretender to contender. This also opens up potential PT for Jimmer off the bench. So I don't see how you don't make the deal. It's not going to be 2-5 yrs. till McLemore and Isaiah turn into what you need to be contenders in the West and you are running into teams better built for PO ball when that does happen. If this were the East I'd say stand pat, but in the West you are in deep competition w/ a lot of teams to make the playoffs.

Rondo
Gay
Wallace
PF
Cousins

that could be a problem in the West. B/c now your bench is stable. It's not great but stable w/ Jimmer, Thorton, Williams and Outlaw.

The key to this is will Rondo extend and if he doesn't you're not holding yourself up. Either way you have to pay. Rondo is an upgrade. Isaiah Thomas is a FA who will receive offers. So you have to spend either way. This is about building a contender for Cousins not Thomas, not McLemore, Cousins. You lose him and that's the franchise, unless you trade him for better pieces [but all arrows point to that not happening]

So. Yeh I'd make the deal. And this isn't like what my Knicks did w/ Melo, b/c Rondo doesn't suffocate an offense. Rondo runs the fastbreak. He's a leader. He's a playoff killer, IDK many guards in the West that will guard him 1 on 1 in a fastbreak or halfcourt set. Maybe Dragic or PJ Tucker, or Westbrook but after that I don't see many.

Weigh this. Rondo is being paid $12M next season, he's a FA in summer of 15/16, well that year, Gay's contract goes off the books. The Kings would be at $14M this is unlike anything that happened to the Knicks b/c you'd have cap space flexibility to sign what you want, while having a premier player you could deal for pieces.

Seeing how I don't see the Kings taking Wallace and they are giving up some pieces. I could see the Celtics adding Bradley. He hasn't signed an extension, infact he turned down BOS's offer. So I could see him packaged wit Rondo to make the deal work for both sides a bit.

xnick5757
12-16-2013, 12:15 PM
rondo + gay

that's an absolutely horrid shooting combination.

rondo + cousins

would be rather hilarious, personality wise. that poor coach...

Stunner
12-16-2013, 12:19 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lm4szup this works

BoSox47
12-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Rondo doesn't move the ball , btw he's totally useless without the ball .

One of the better defensive pgs inthe league and ya only the second best distrubter in the league behind CP. but ya keep trolling.

Edit: great rebounding pg too btw.

Chronz
12-16-2013, 12:29 PM

Are you positive adding a player like rondo would promote ball movement? His teammates have generally faired better in that regard without him, I remember the Celtics only being able to run post sets consistently when he wasn't out there mucking up the spacing, if he only has one non shooter on the court things should be fine, if not, cousins is going to take more jumpers than working on the blocks. Supposedly he's improved his off the ball game tho.

bleedprple&gold
12-16-2013, 12:34 PM
Thread title is much better now.

The Kings would be giving up too much. McLemore, Thomas and 2 first rounders? 1 first rounder would still be a lot alogn with two promising young players for a Rondo who is a big question mark right now and they have to take back Wallace's horrible contract as well? Not to mention Thomas is averaging 23 ppg and 7 apg too since becoming a full-time starter and will only get better. I wouldn't do it.

KniCks4LiFe
12-16-2013, 12:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lm4szup this works

yeh but I don't see that happening. If both sides are serious it might end up being this. http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kjz96dv

and seperate deal being
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lcy4lxp

to make it work for both sides.

KniCks4LiFe
12-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Thread title is much better now.

The Kings would be giving up too much. McLemore, Thomas and 2 first rounders? 1 first rounder would still be a lot alogn with two promising young players for a Rondo who is a big question mark right now and they have to take back Wallace's horrible contract as well? Not to mention Thomas is averaging 23 ppg and 7 apg too since becoming a full-time starter and will only get better. I wouldn't do it.

The Lakers are a year away from revamping their team, HOU is deep, GSW are deep, UTH is just like SAC, MEM has cap space, POR is deep, PHX is competitive, DAL, SAS, DEN is deep. So if you're the Kings, when are you making your move? How much more better will Thomas become? McLemore is a promising rookie, but there have been many and they just traded for Rudy Gay. So again, what are they trying to do? and I doubt Wallace's contract will be included. The trade wouldn't work that way. I think Rondo is the target, SAC will attempt to acquire him, but all jokes aside, you make the deal.

HINDSIGHT: When Carl Landry returns, he's going to get shots, wit Cousins, wit Gay. If Rondo is a King

Rondo
[TBA]
Gay
Landry
Cousins

vs

Thomas
McLemore
Gay
Landry
Cousins

is it really that close?

jstone0716
12-16-2013, 12:44 PM
Terrible move for the kings. They have made some good moves this season but to give up both of those youngens for Rondo... why? It's not going to put them in immediate contention, especially out west. I say develop this group of guys and see where you land in the draft. They could have a very very good team come next year..

NoahH
12-16-2013, 12:46 PM
There's decent movement on this rumor on twitter

Stunner
12-16-2013, 12:49 PM
yeh but I don't see that happening. If both sides are serious it might end up being this. http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kjz96dv

and seperate deal being
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lcy4lxp

to make it work for both sides.

Eh idk , they will dump Wallace in any Rondo deal and I think at this rate they want to make the playoffs . And they can get a better offer than Gray for Bradley . Kings most likely want to keep Gray to back up Cousins . The deal I made makes the C's better and the Kings get the player they want and two SG replacements for one year . Crawford has been playing well this year and is in a contract year so he'll be playing his hardest as a 6th man for them . They really don't need a Good SG with the Kings lineup that has a enough offensive firepower . They could sign a SG like Stevenson to play d and shoot the 3 for the min .

Rondo
Stevenson
Gay
Landry ( when he returns )
Cousins

Bench

Crawford
Crash
Williams
Ray
Gray
Brooks

That's a solid rotation

Celtics

Thomas
Mclemore
Green
Sully
That Frav guy or Olynek

Bench

Thornton
Bradley
And whoever else I forgot lol

KniCks4LiFe
12-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Terrible move for the kings. They have made some good moves this season but to give up both of those youngens for Rondo... why? It's not going to put them in immediate contention, especially out west. I say develop this group of guys and see where you land in the draft. They could have a very very good team come next year..

vs who? how much are you paying Isaiah Thomas? he's still learning to be an NBA PG, he's 24, Rondo is 27 and one of the best PGs in the game. What are you adding from that draft? a SG off the bench who could 2-3 yrs. from that be a starting SG, a PG who could 4-5 yrs. be a starting PG? a PF who could be a starter 2-3 yrs. from that time? A center who is at best a PT starter? In the West? wit no established fulltime player talent?

Explain why getting Rondo who a yr. from that they may very well trade for good pieces. Where is the negative there?

KniCks4LiFe
12-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Eh idk , they will dump Wallace in any Rondo deal and I think at this rate they want to make the playoffs . And they can get a better offer than Gray for Bradley . Kings most likely want to keep Gray to back up Cousins . The deal I made makes the C's better and the Kings get the player they want and two SG replacements for one year . Crawford has been playing well this year and is in a contract year so he'll be playing his hardest as a 6th man for them . They really don't need a Good SG with the Kings lineup that has a enough offensive firepower . They could sign a SG like Stevenson to play d and shoot the 3 for the min .

It's just a lot of names for this type of deal. I don't see that type of deal. I could see to seperate ones.

Rondo
Stevenson
Gay
Landry ( when he returns )
Cousins

Bench

Crawford
Crash
Williams
Ray
Gray
Brooks

That's a solid rotation

true. Man does Jimmer suck that much? I don't see BOS dealing Crawford in this deal, he has some more value than a throw in.

Celtics

Thomas
Mclemore
Green
Sully
That Frav guy or Olynek

Bench

Thornton
Bradley
And whoever else I forgot lol

that's a team that might make the playoffs or miss it.

bleedprple&gold
12-16-2013, 12:56 PM
The Lakers are a year away from revamping their team, HOU is deep, GSW are deep, UTH is just like SAC, MEM has cap space, POR is deep, PHX is competitive, DAL, SAS, DEN is deep. So if you're the Kings, when are you making your move? How much more better will Thomas become? McLemore is a promising rookie, but there have been many and they just traded for Rudy Gay. So again, what are they trying to do? and I doubt Wallace's contract will be included. The trade wouldn't work that way. I think Rondo is the target, SAC will attempt to acquire him, but all jokes aside, you make the deal.

HINDSIGHT: When Carl Landry returns, he's going to get shots, wit Cousins, wit Gay. If Rondo is a King

Rondo
[TBA]
Gay
Landry
Cousins

vs

Thomas
McLemore
Gay
Landry
Cousins

is it really that close?

You don't necessarily need to make another big splash if you are Sac. You already got Williams and Gay. Go the OKC route and let your guys develop. Hope that Thomas, McLemore and Williams keep improving and get another good draft pick next year. Be patient, you've already been out of the playoffs this long and now you have the most promising team you've had in a while so just need to wait a little longer and let them develop.

Infamous916
12-16-2013, 01:00 PM
I'm not interested in this trade or playing Jimmer.

ghettosean
12-16-2013, 01:01 PM
I realize that the title is the same as the article but that is misleading.

I agree with both this thread was very misleading.

RipCity32
12-16-2013, 01:01 PM
I would do it if I was Sac. Everyone falls in love with tanking and draft picks but look where it's gotten them so far. At some point you have to start winning ball games. Cousins and Rondo could be a nice duo. I like the trade for both sides.

Stunner
12-16-2013, 01:03 PM
To be fair at the current construction the Celtics could make the playoffs or miss it and that's without Rondo playing , them making that trade only increases their chances of making the playoffs IMO .

jstone0716
12-16-2013, 01:05 PM
vs who? how much are you paying Isaiah Thomas? he's still learning to be an NBA PG, he's 24, Rondo is 27 and one of the best PGs in the game. What are you adding from that draft? a SG off the bench who could 2-3 yrs. from that be a starting SG, a PG who could 4-5 yrs. be a starting PG? a PF who could be a starter 2-3 yrs. from that time? A center who is at best a PT starter?

Explain why getting Rondo who a yr. from that they very well trade for good pieces. Where is the negative there?

For one Rondo is overrated. He's an immature ball hog that plays for triple doubles. I'm not saying he's a scrub, he's a good PG, a good PIECE, but by no mean is he elite or game changing.

Second he can't score for *****. Trading away Ben & Isiah is going to seriously cramp them on offense.

Third you do realize that this coming draft is filled with NBA ready talent right? Right now they are looking like a 5th-6th pick, and with some luck maybe even a 2nd-3rd... anyone in the top 5-6 is an immediate game changer.

Sorry but's a stupid move. Thomas is a stud, he's only getting better and Ben could be a Ray Ray type player. Rondo is rondo and it doesn't make sense for them right now.

KniCks4LiFe
12-16-2013, 01:06 PM
You don't necessarily need to make another big splash if you are Sac. You already got Williams and Gay. Go the OKC route and let your guys develop. Hope that Thomas, McLemore and Williams keep improving and get another good draft pick next year. Be patient, you've already been out of the playoffs this long and now you have the most promising team you've had in a while so just need to wait a little longer and let them develop.

Derrick Williams is not a finished product. OKC had lotto picks they developed. McLemore and Thomas aren't Harden and Westbrook and KD. McLemore was drafted 7th overall but again you replace that wit Rondo. You do know owners do want to make POs sometimes right? That's a lot of money being left on the table.

RipCity32
12-16-2013, 01:17 PM
I wouldn't trade draft picks too though. McLemore, Thomas and the fact that you would be taking on Wallace's contract is more then enough for Rondo.

KniCks4LiFe
12-16-2013, 01:19 PM
For one Rondo is overrated. He's an immature ball hog that plays for triple doubles. I'm not saying he's a scrub, he's a good PG, a good PIECE, but by no mean is he elite or game changing.

The Celtics don't make the NBA finals wit out Rondo. They don't beat the Knicks wit out Rondo. They don't bring in an NBA championship w/o a PG that pushed the tempo and controlled the offense in Rondo.

Second he can't score for *****. Trading away Ben & Isiah is going to seriously cramp them on offense.

Ben is 8/1/3 w/ a PER of 8.68, shooting at a 37% clip
Isaiah is 18/5/2 w/ a PER of 23.51 [I highly doubt he stays there], shooting at a 47% clip

the only shooter is Isaiah.

And Rondo is a career 48% shooter who averages 11/8/4/ and a career PER of 17.20

Third you do realize that this coming draft is filled with NBA ready talent right? Right now they are looking like a 5th-6th pick, and with some luck maybe even a 2nd-3rd... anyone in the top 5-6 is an immediate game changer.

Again, I know this, we all know this. But sooner or later, lets say they want to draft a SG, McLemore is essentially wasted right? lets say they get a PF in the draft, well Landry is signed to 16/17' a SF? Rudy Gay is here until summer of 15/16' and I know you're not gonna piss off DMC. So what value does that pick have really over getting Rondo?

Sorry but's a stupid move. Thomas is a stud, he's only getting better and Ben could be a Ray Ray type player. Rondo is rondo and it doesn't make sense for them right now.

Thomas could fall down to earth too. Ray Ray type? you serious? We talking about Ben McLemore?

shep33
12-16-2013, 01:20 PM
Not buying it, because Ainge would have accepted this already lol.

That's way too much to give up for Rondo.

*Superman*
12-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Do they really think Rondo would stay with the Kings, especially after they trade away a boatload of the younger guys?

jstone0716
12-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Are you seriously gauging Ben based on his FG% 25 games into his rookie season? Yes, he's got a sweet stroke. 15-20 PPG @ 40% beyond the arc is not hard to see at all. Ray Ray is probably pushing it but surely a J.J. Redick or Kyle Korver type and that is not to be undervalued.

You obviously aren't going to be swayed so this this argument is irreverent. My point is that even with Rondo they are a lottery team. No sense in trading to move up the lottery ranks when they have a chance to Wiggins, Randle, Parker, Exum etc... who cares how the piece fit those guys are surefire all stars.

KniCks4LiFe
12-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Are you seriously gauging Ben based on his FG% 25 games into his rookie season? Yes, he's got a sweet stroke. 15-20 PPG @ 40% beyond the arc is not hard to see at all. Ray Ray is probably pushing it but surely a J.J. Redick or Kyle Korver type and that is not to be undervalued.

No I'm not. But as of now his one 3 pt. strength is the left side of the arc which he has used to a 10-25 clip. The rest of the perimeter as of now he's below league average. The best shooting NBA rookie who's near Ray Ray type is Tim Hardaway Jr. and I wouldn't even call him Ray Ray yet.

You obviously aren't going to be swayed so this this argument is irreverent. My point is that even with Rondo they are a lottery team. No sense in trading to move up the lottery ranks when they have a chance to Wiggins, Randle, Parker, Exum etc... who cares how the piece fit those guys are surefire all stars.

So they are tanking? rumors for Rondo don't build up b/c they want to tank.

YoungOne
12-16-2013, 01:44 PM
yeah... no. lol kings go home ur drunk.

jp611
12-16-2013, 01:47 PM
What a mess that team would be :laugh2:

Rain City
12-16-2013, 01:51 PM
IT and avery Bradley were AAU teammates. both hail from the great 253. TACOMA, WA.

avery has been way out of position at PG. Him growing up with IT and Abdul gaddy he is an off ball guy.

waveycrockett
12-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Rondo and Cousins together will either get along great or cousins will end up putting Rondo in a body bag. Gay,Cousins and Rondo would be a great trio together if those guys would grow up and mature.

jstone0716
12-16-2013, 02:45 PM
No I'm not. But as of now his one 3 pt. strength is the left side of the arc which he has used to a 10-25 clip. The rest of the perimeter as of now he's below league average. The best shooting NBA rookie who's near Ray Ray type is Tim Hardaway Jr. and I wouldn't even call him Ray Ray yet.

So they are tanking? rumors for Rondo don't build up b/c they want to tank.

Look man, the guy can shoot. It takes time to adjust but he will be a shooting specialist in this league. And no they are not tanking, but they are still a bottom 6-7 team, bottom 10 WITH Rondo. What do you expect out of them with Rondo? Short term? Long term? Why are you so heated about this? Lol. Gay, Cousins, Rondo??? Talk about egos & a serious usage dilemma.

KniCks4LiFe
12-16-2013, 02:50 PM
Look man, the guy can shoot. It takes time to adjust but he will be a shooting specialist in this league. And no they are not tanking, but they are still a bottom 6-7 team, bottom 10 WITH Rondo. What do you expect out of them with Rondo? Short term? Long term? Why are you so heated about this? Lol. Gay, Cousins, Rondo??? Talk about egos & a serious usage dilemma.

you know Scoonie Penn once could shoot in college too. You know who else had a jumper in college Jared Jefferies, there's a litter of people that could shoot in NCAA. I'm not heated about any of this. I'm reading what the Kings are saying post games and seeing how their FO is working. It doesn't exactly yell tank for lotto spot.

KingPosey
12-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Noooo......

imbetterthanyou
12-16-2013, 02:59 PM
Why are we acting like McLemore and Isaiah can't improve here? McLemore is less than 25 games old, and Isaiah since he joined the starting lineup is averaging 24 and 7 and shooting over 50%...I dont think his FG% will hold but the dude is obviously making strides typically when young players begin to mature and show signs of improvement. Hes only in his third year. McLemore will surely improve as well. I think trading for Rondo is stupid...at least if we are giving up those two and more.

JLynn943
12-16-2013, 03:30 PM
God I hope this is wrong

Wade n Fade
12-16-2013, 03:30 PM
This is not a bad idea for the Kings. Rondo/Gay/Cousins work as a team building process, but they need to bring stability to the personality madhouse.

DerekRE_3
12-16-2013, 03:47 PM
People really need to look at the sites that are publishing these "rumors."

Dade County
12-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Maybe the Pacers should trade for Rondo.

WES KOAST
12-16-2013, 04:29 PM
hell no, bad trade for sac

bleedprple&gold
12-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Thomas could fall down to earth too.

What makes you so sure? I think he should only get better with more playing time now that he is the full-time starter.

IndyRealist
12-16-2013, 05:19 PM
Thomas has been good this year, but I don't think you could build a better team to put around Rondo at this point. And Sacramento needs -someone- to take less shots. It's too good a deal for both sides to ever happen.

WES KOAST
12-16-2013, 06:19 PM
Thomas has been good this year, but I don't think you could build a better team to put around Rondo at this point. And Sacramento needs -someone- to take less shots. It's too good a deal for both sides to ever happen.

sorry but Thomas is a rising star. sac made a smart move getting gay, why would they make a dumb move like this?

just remember who rondo played with before you guys go crowning him a legit superstar.

D-Leethal
12-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Risky move if they gamble on him resigning but I can see that team running with Rondo and becoming pretty dangerous. If Jimmer stays, Rondo is a guy he can thrive next to - a guy who can defend the 2 but play the 1 on offense.

DR_1
12-16-2013, 07:53 PM
What is Sacramento doing :facepalm:

True Sports Fan
12-16-2013, 08:14 PM
I'd kill myself if we did this.

IndyRealist
12-16-2013, 08:36 PM
sorry but Thomas is a rising star. sac made a smart move getting gay, why would they make a dumb move like this?

just remember who rondo played with before you guys go crowning him a legit superstar.

I don't think anyone thought trading for gay was a smart move. So far he's been great, but we're not talking about enough games to prove anything. Memphis and Toronto both were fooled before.

COOLbeans
12-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Yeah, Rondo's a good player and all but that's to much of the Kings future to be given up for him.

Kings future is the Lottery, as always, if they don't make a move and take risks like this

Monta is beast
12-16-2013, 10:53 PM
Rondo
Wallace?
Gay
Williams?
Cousins

Not a playoff team in the west

Max.This
12-16-2013, 11:10 PM

rondo is gone after two years. its not like he has a 5 year 120 mil deal

Sactown
12-17-2013, 12:14 AM
We can't trade our draft picks... So this rumor can't be true... Also I doubt we'd trade every shooting guard on the roster..

GoferKing_
12-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Isiah Thomas, Ben McLemore, Marcos Thornton, Jason Thompson, and two future first-round picks for RONDO? Hell Bloody Nooooooo!!!! Toooooo Much!!!! Thomas, Thompson, Thornton should be enough for a guy that is still recovering, has questionable character, not long term, and that played only with All-Stars so far.

True Sports Fan
12-17-2013, 12:15 PM
I'd be willing to do this if Green and Bradley get thrown in.

Rondo
Bradley
Gay
Green
Cousins

Stunner
12-17-2013, 12:19 PM

Rondo
Bradley
Gay
Green
Cousins
Lmao

True Sports Fan
12-17-2013, 12:49 PM

Rondo
Bradley
Gay
Green
Cousins
Lmao in the 'proposed' trade that's probably made up in the first place, we are giving up WAY too much.

mightybosstone
12-17-2013, 01:01 PM
I hope for Sacramento's sake that this isn't true. I'd much rather have a talented young back court in Thomas and McLemore than an overrated PG like Rondo coming off a major injury. Also, throw in Rudy Gay's inconsistent 3-point shooting, and you'd have horrible floor spacing on a team with Rondo and Gay on the floor at the same time. A team with Rondo, Gay and Cousins would also be insanely inefficient offensively.

Overall, it's just a terrible idea. Sacramento has made some strides forward this season, and that young back court has been a huge part of that. I wouldn't give that up for an overrated point guard whose offensive inefficiency almost negates any positive impact he has a distributor.

bholly
12-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick 35m
FYI re: Rajon Rondo rumor, Celtics & Kings have had no talks about him or any other player, I'm told by both sides. Nothing to see here....

DerekRE_3
12-17-2013, 01:15 PM
Wow so a rumor that's from a website called latinopost isn't true? Well that's just shocking.

D-Leethal
12-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Why is Rondo considered overrated? Because of his shooting efficiency from the line and 3 pt land? I guess there is no advanced stat for "making your teammates better" eh? How about assisting 50% of his teams buckets? Playing the best lockdown defense at the position while also being one of the best at forcing TOs?

COOLbeans
12-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Agreed. Rondo is a superstar and will be a top 5 point guard when healthy. This is a good deal for the Kings, Thomas is good but he's undersized and isn't a natural facilitator which is what's needed to optimize Gay and Cousins.

Tony_Starks
12-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Why is Rondo considered overrated? Because of his shooting efficiency from the line and 3 pt land? I guess there is no advanced stat for "making your teammates better" eh? How about assisting 50% of his teams buckets? Playing the best lockdown defense at the position while also being one of the best at forcing TOs?

Come on man. You've been around here long enough to know its impossible to be a good player in real life if you don't have advanced stats that are deemed "efficient."

bagwell368
12-17-2013, 06:23 PM

Celt fan here. Rondo is hugely overrated. He's in the middle of all sorts of stupid emotional behavior. He takes way too many games off (like not on National TV). He's uncoachable (per Tubby Smith, Doc, Ainge, and Coach K also dislikes him a great deal). He's an awful FT shooter and doesn't penetrate much anymore because he gets crushed when he does. His last 4 years including this one are a big decline from his two best years 2008-2010. He's getting injured more and more. Crawford has played PG (a retread SG !!) better than Rondo has since 2009-2010. Last year after Rondo went down (5 game losing streak), Barbosa (a 3rd string PG) took them on a 7 game winning streak with the best offense the team played all year - until he went down.

Rondo for two #1's and various other pieces such as Thomas coming East - all day and every day.

bagwell368
12-17-2013, 06:29 PM

Rondo's value on offense is almost all passing, so he dominates the ball and passes to again superstars behind screens and they hit a J. Super tough. In his prime 5 years ago he was probably the 5th best PG in the NBA. In his last 3 he's been 11th, 14th, 14th. He's no superstar and never was. In his title year he was the 6th or 7th key guy on the team and got sat in the Finals in the 4th quarter a few times.

It's my team. I watch him on local TV in December when he posts a 5/9/3 with 5 TOV's and brutal shooting numbers, and no effort on D. Please. Watch the local game or at least the stats or stop saying things that have no basis in fact. Rondo's D sucked last year all year BTW, so I know you didn't watch him much.

Chronz
12-18-2013, 03:22 AM
Come on man. You've been around here long enough to know its impossible to be a good player in real life if you don't have advanced stats that are deemed "efficient."

Who said he wasn't a good player? Hes pretty good. Still overrated and still a guy who mails it in if hes not nationally televised. Still the guy who inhibits his teammates with his lack of shooting and would rather get the chance for an assist than a for sure bucket.

Chronz
12-18-2013, 03:25 AM
Rondo's value on offense is almost all passing, so he dominates the ball and passes to again superstars behind screens and they hit a J. Super tough. In his prime 5 years ago he was probably the 5th best PG in the NBA. In his last 3 he's been 11th, 14th, 14th. He's no superstar and never was. In his title year he was the 6th or 7th key guy on the team and got sat in the Finals in the 4th quarter a few times.

It's my team. I watch him on local TV in December when he posts a 5/9/3 with 5 TOV's and brutal shooting numbers, and no effort on D. Please. Watch the local game or at least the stats or stop saying things that have no basis in fact. Rondo's D sucked last year all year BTW, so I know you didn't watch him much.

Yea Im surprised there are still people who think he played lock down D. Im guessing he only watched Rondo in the playoffs and ignores how the team was perfectly tailored for his game and still producing unimpressive results.

RollingWave
12-18-2013, 03:32 AM

I dunno, how about the advanced stat that the Celtics offense sucked badly in the last few years with this PG that supposedly made other players better? he must have terrible teammates and not 3 hall of famers or anything. oh wait.

Assist is probably the single most overrated traditional stats in basketball, it's like RBI in baseball. if a PG cuts in drawing 4 guys, throw a pass out then that guy swing to another guy for 3 = no assist for the PG, if you walk it up the court and hand it off the Ray Allen who promptly drains a contested 3 = assist woohoo.

Having said that, Rondo is a top talent, but he has not put that talent to nearly as good of use as most people assume. I would be very interested to see how he works in Steven's system.