PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of....

PhillyFaninLA
12-14-2013, 02:15 PM
The purpose of this thread is for us to put something out there we want others opinions on and we offer our opinions to what is requested.

Thanks and lets have fun with this and keep the ideas and opinions coming.

PhillyFaninLA
12-14-2013, 02:15 PM
I've been reading about the different Asik rumors, I'm not sold on him, what are your opinions.

jerellh528
12-14-2013, 02:30 PM
I think this thread will lead to off topic discussions when there are already threads on what we all want to talk about. What do you think of this?

slaker619
12-14-2013, 03:06 PM
I wanna know if #Knicks actually trying to get better & where #Lowery gonna end up

NoahH
12-14-2013, 03:40 PM
I wanna know if #Knicks actually trying to get better & where #Lowery gonna end up

hashtags in a PSD forum post?

king4day
12-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Here's one...
Looking for an honest opinion. If the Knicks replaced Felton with Lowry, how much of an upgrade is it? What can Lowry offer NY on the court?

king4day
12-14-2013, 05:09 PM
hashtags in a PSD forum post?

I've been noticing this too. I really don't get it at all. Someone even created a thread with hashtags recently.

HYFR
12-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Twitter bought psd

Pablonovi
12-14-2013, 08:08 PM
The purpose of this thread is for us to put something out there we want others opinions on and we offer our opinions to what is requested.

Thanks and lets have fun with this and keep the ideas and opinions coming.

Hey PhillyFaninLA,
My intention here is NOT to make fun; BUT
This has to be the most non-specific, vague OP I've ever seen at PSD.
You say, "... when you post give me a reason to believe you are part of the 1%."

Pablonovi
12-14-2013, 08:09 PM
I think this thread will lead to off topic discussions when there are already threads on what we all want to talk about. What do you think of this?

Hey jerellh528,
Good point. I don't see how this thread can lead to anything but off-topic discussion with such a NON-topic OP !
That's what I think of that.

sunsfan88
12-14-2013, 08:13 PM
What do you guys think of Steph Curry possibly growing out a beard like the one Harden has?

archdevil84
12-14-2013, 08:37 PM
what do you guys think about Wade this season? he's been pretty solid shooting a good percentage and doing a good job on the boards and assisting aswell. his defense has been pretty good also, only downside are his turnovers..

IndyRealist
12-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Here's one...
Looking for an honest opinion. If the Knicks replaced Felton with Lowry, how much of an upgrade is it? What can Lowry offer NY on the court?
Doing a quick stats comparison, Lowry is better in every category except blocks and fouls this season. He's better on 2's, better on 3's, better on FTs, better ast:to ratio, better rebounder. Lowry is 9 points higher in TS%, and has a reputation as a solid defender.

The only real question is whether Melo can play with him or not. But Melo's gotta be begging for help at this point, so I'd think they would work it out.

koreancabbage
12-14-2013, 11:21 PM
Here's one...

upgrade over Felton in every single aspect of the game. and I mean everything on the court. not donut eating contests.

CELTICS4LYFE
12-15-2013, 11:21 AM
What do you guys think of Steph Curry possibly growing out a beard like the one Harden has?

After he hits puberty.

smiddy012
12-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Hey PhillyFaninLA,
My intention here is NOT to make fun; BUT
This has to be the most non-specific, vague OP I've ever seen at PSD.
You say, "... when you post give me a reason to believe you are part of the 1%."

Best. Thread. Ever.

Ebbs
12-15-2013, 04:32 PM
I've been reading about the different Asik rumors, I'm not sold on him, what are your opinions.

I don't like starting players who leave you plaing 4 vs. 5 on either end of the court. But for a team that has a high octane offense he's worth it. Solid rebounder and defender. Overpaid but every big in the NBA is overpaid right now.

Here's one...

Lowry is better at everything. I don't think he will save the Knicks or anything but it's an easy upgrade. He's actually in NBA shape which is nice. Also Lowry shoots a lot which you'd think might be bad but the Knicks taking the ball out of J.R.'s hands is always a bonus. If Melo and Lowry meshed it might be worth a purchase. Frankly Knicks need to capitalize immediately on Shumperts stupidly high value. People will realize Shump is terrible on offense and has barely improved over three seasons sooner rather then later.

what do you guys think about Wade this season? he's been pretty solid shooting a good percentage and doing a good job on the boards and assisting aswell. his defense has been pretty good also, only downside are his turnovers..

Wade is a Nance. I understand the Heat are being careful but his watered down schedule is brutal. He is a solid all around player but he's not a superstar. His shot selection is still at times questionable as he's still a liability from deep. IMO Arron Afflalo has been the East's best 2 guard thus far this season.

Pablonovi
12-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Best. Thread. Ever.

Hey smiddy012,
Long. May. It. Live.

torocan
12-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Overpaid but every big in the NBA is overpaid right now.

Maybe it's just me, but statements like this bug the heck out of me. That's like saying that every team in the NBA has no idea what a Big is really worth, but you do.

Let me ask this question. IF you owned a NBA team, would you pay the going rate for Bigs or send your team on the floor without one? And if you would pay the going rate, how can you say they're overpaid? After all, you're willing to pay the going rate.... and nobody said you're entitled to LIKE the price.

Sounds more to me like the NBA knows the going rate and you're just cheap. =P

Ebbs
12-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Maybe it's just me, but statements like this bug the heck out of me. That's like saying that every team in the NBA has no idea what a Big is really worth, but you do.

Let me ask this question. IF you owned a NBA team, would you pay the going rate for Bigs or send your team on the floor without one? And if you would pay the going rate, how can you say they're overpaid? After all, you're willing to pay the going rate.... and nobody said you're entitled to LIKE the price.

Sounds more to me like the NBA knows the going rate and you're just cheap. =P

It's not about not knowing what they're doing. It's that the market sets the price. Of course you pay the big because if you don't someone else will. That does not mean he isn't overpaid.

Roy Hibbert is getting 14 million this year. He may be the best two way big in the league and he's averaging 13 and 9.

torocan
12-15-2013, 10:49 PM
It's not about not knowing what they're doing. It's that the market sets the price. Of course you pay the big because if you don't someone else will. That does not mean he isn't overpaid.

Roy Hibbert is getting 14 million this year. He may be the best two way big in the league and he's averaging 13 and 9.

Hibbert isn't getting paid just for his 13 and 9, he's getting paid because of his impact at defending the Rim.

http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingDefense.html?pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=25&sortField=FGP_DEFEND_RIM&sortOrder=ASC&filters=FGA_DEFEND_RIM*GE*5**GP*GE*15

And the only reason that Hibbert isn't being paid more is because of the CBA. if there wasn't a salary cap and maximum salaries, the top end players would be getting paid even more.

Lebron makes $19M/year. Under the old CBA he'd probably make more than $22M+/year. Under the previous CBA to that he'd be making over $25M+/year. Lebron is underpaid. As is Hibbert.

The market does set the price until you hit the CBA upper limits, and pretty much everyone getting paid less than a max contract is earning close to the market price except for Rookie scale. Rookies are grossly underpaid because the CBA requires that they be on Rookie contracts otherwise a lot of them would be getting huge contracts ala Gilbert Arenas.

Rookie scale contracts are basically legalized indentured servitude.

By definition, you can say that individual players are overpaid compared to their peers. Saying that an entire position is overpaid makes no sense at all. There's a fixed supply of big men and teams pay accordingly. You can't replace them with PG's or Shooting guards.

Ebbs
12-15-2013, 11:11 PM
Lol yes I understand why he got paid. . .

However do you remember Alonzo Mourning? He wasn't even really even a part of the elite era of bigs and easily was a better player than Hibbert. Bigs have been nerfed they're not of the same quality but make the same amount of money.

Alonzo who won 2 DPOY's also had a massive defensive impact in case you try to under cut him there. He was a 20-10 big as well.

Alonzo's Heat in 1998-99 were second in opponents points per game with 84. Current Pacers are first in opponents points per game with 89. Inflation fair enough.

My point is the breed of big in today's game is not of the same quality yet going for the same price.

torocan
12-15-2013, 11:39 PM
Lol yes I understand why he got paid. . .

However do you remember Alonzo Mourning? He wasn't even really even a part of the elite era of bigs and easily was a better player than Hibbert. Bigs have been nerfed they're not of the same quality but make the same amount of money.

Alonzo who won 2 DPOY's also had a massive defensive impact in case you try to under cut him there. He was a 20-10 big as well.

Alonzo's Heat in 1998-99 were second in opponents points per game with 84. Current Pacers are first in opponents points per game with 89. Inflation fair enough.

My point is the breed of big in today's game is not of the same quality yet going for the same price.

I get what you're saying, but we need to remember a couple things.

1) Bigs have been marginalized by rule changes. Power post up play is a thing of the past with the advent of Zone defense, 3/5s calls, hand checking, etc. Shaq could never get through the NBA today with the current rule changes without dramatic changes to his game. He'd foul out by the half.

2) Don't forget Inflation. 14 years is a LONG time. In 1998/1999 Mourning was earning $13.13M/year. You're talking 13 years of inflation. If you use the Big Mac index (which I consider more meaningful than official reported inflation), the price of Big Macs has increased by approximately 60% since 1999. In 1999 they cost around $2.50, now they're closer to $4.

That would put Alonzo Mourning's salary $13.13M at around $21M in 2013/14 dollars, or it would put Hibbert's $14M at approximately $8.75M in 1999 dollars.

http://shadesofthomaspaine.blogexec.com/index.php/entry/americans-are-over-30-poorer-than-in-they-were-in-1999
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mournal01.html

By my calculations, that's not really overpaid at all.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-15-2013, 11:42 PM
Here's one...

Heart.