PDA

View Full Version : Which is the more telling method of finding who the better team is?

Paul Jeffrey
12-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Which is more telling of who the superior team is?

Head to head or match-ups?

For example. 2004 New Jersey Nets took the Detroit Pistons to game 7 and it took a game winning shot by Rip Hamilton to win the series for them.

Everybody knows they went on to whoop the LA Lakers. Now, there is no way on God's green earth the Nets were winning more than 1 game against the Lakers. Shaq would have eaten them alive himself.

So which is the better way to determine the superior team?

Team A is almost equal to Team B when they are playing each other. Team B beats Team C but Team C would obliterate Team A.

So who's better? Team A or Team B?

BTW, I do think both the Pistons and Lakers were better than the Nets. This isn't about the Nets, it was the only example I could think of.

flea
12-12-2013, 10:45 PM
The superior team is almost always the one holding the trophy at the end (exception: 2006 Heat).

Paul Jeffrey
12-12-2013, 11:20 PM
The superior team is almost always the one holding the trophy at the end (exception: 2006 Heat).

You're not getting my question.

Team A is almost equal to Team B when they are playing each other. Team B beats Team C but Team C would obliterate Team A.

Guppyfighter
12-12-2013, 11:46 PM
Team B.

Bishnoff
12-12-2013, 11:48 PM
Team B, they win both series lol.

I think you meant to ask "who's better: Team A or Team C?"

WadeKobe
12-12-2013, 11:54 PM
Point differential across schedule difficulty. That's how.

Series do not determine who is better. Even with 65/35 favorites you would need something like 28 game series for the better team to win the series only 95% of the time.

Hawkeye15
12-13-2013, 12:19 AM
point differential, SRS, and offensive/defensive efficiency ratings.

There are outliers. The 11-12' Sixers are an example. They were much better than their record indicated.

TheMightyHumph
12-13-2013, 01:32 AM
NBA is a game-to-game league.

NoahH
12-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Secret option Team D is the best

Paul Jeffrey
12-13-2013, 06:33 PM
Point differential across schedule difficulty. That's how.

Series do not determine who is better. Even with 65/35 favorites you would need something like 28 game series for the better team to win the series only 95% of the time.

I never said a series makes a team better. I asked which paints the more accurate picture, head to head or by association.

2-ONE-5
12-13-2013, 06:37 PM
team C is irrelevant bcuz u dont know what would happen agaisnt the team they didnt play.

Paul Jeffrey
12-13-2013, 06:44 PM
team C is irrelevant bcuz u dont know what would happen agaisnt the team they didnt play.

Team C in this case swept team A two years prior in the Finals.

Use teams instead of letters.

Nets barely lost to Pistons in 7. Pistons beat Lakers in 6. Lakers beat the Nets two years ago 4-0, and dominated the Nets every meeting.

IKnowHoops
12-13-2013, 11:51 PM
Which is more telling of who the superior team is?

Head to head or match-ups?

For example. 2004 New Jersey Nets took the Detroit Pistons to game 7 and it took a game winning shot by Rip Hamilton to win the series for them.

Everybody knows they went on to whoop the LA Lakers. Now, there is no way on God's green earth the Nets were winning more than 1 game against the Lakers. Shaq would have eaten them alive himself.

So which is the better way to determine the superior team?

BTW, I do think both the Pistons and Lakers were better than the Nets. This isn't about the Nets, it was the only example I could think of.

Styles make fights. Beating the team that beat the team doesn't mean you can beat both teams.

gatkins11
12-14-2013, 05:11 AM

Bingo.

WadeKobe
12-14-2013, 09:27 AM
I never said a series makes a team better. I asked which paints the more accurate picture, head to head or by association.

And the answer is clearly neither.