PDA

View Full Version : Do the Spurs have a "Superstar"?

MikefromMars
12-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Everyone knows the Spurs are a championship caliber team -- but do they have a "Superstar"?

And in your opinion, what defines a "Superstar?"

NYKnickFanatic
12-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Duncan. He might be getting up there in age, but I still think he is a superstar.

Could also argue Tony Parker, as well.

Superstar: a high-profile and extremely successful performer or athlete.

2-ONE-5
12-12-2013, 10:28 AM
parker, duncan, pop

shauneazy
12-12-2013, 10:35 AM
No. They do not have the likes of Kobe, Lebron, Durant, Melo.

The talent is there, but they do not have an NBA superstar. Grant it, Duncan used to be there and Parker is one of the best PG, but they are not NBA superstars. Unfortunately, Duncan is older and less releveant to the likes of K Love or Blake Griffin, because those, my friend, are NBA superstars.

There's a difference between being a best at a position and being an NBA "superstar".

NYKnickFanatic
12-12-2013, 10:43 AM

The talent is there, but they do not have an NBA superstar. Grant it, Duncan used to be there and Parker is one of the best PG, but they are not NBA superstars. Unfortunately, Duncan is older and less releveant to the likes of K Love or Blake Griffin, because those, my friend, are NBA superstars.

There's a difference between being a best at a position and being an NBA "superstar".

Duncan and Parker are superstars.

D-Leethal
12-12-2013, 10:45 AM
parker, duncan, pop

This.

MikefromMars

Kevin Love is more of a superstar than Duncan? Are you drunk?

D-Leethal
They don't have superstars in a celebrity sense - but they have superstars in a basketball player sense.

MikefromMars
12-12-2013, 10:47 AM
They don't have superstars in a celebrity sense - but they have superstars in a basketball player sense.

Do you need celebrity status to be considered a "superstar"?

NYKnickFanatic
12-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Kevin Love is more of a superstar than Duncan? Are you drunk?

:drunk:

DallasTrilla23
12-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Tony and Timmy.

Tony Parker is the best point guard in the league.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-12-2013, 01:34 PM
If they were given the same opportunities as your typical stars, Duncan and Parker can still be that guy to lead a team.

rhino17
12-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Tony P is a superstar. Duncan no longer is

I consider a top 10 player a superstar, maybe a top 15 player if they have been a superstar in the past

tredigs
12-12-2013, 02:39 PM
It all depends on what you value and your personal interpretation of "superstar", because there is no set criteria (and this comes up here every few months).

For example, Duncan is coming off of a dominant NBA Finals and 1st Team All NBA season to go alongside his legendary Top-10 All Time career. Yet many don't consider him a superstar. Some of that has to do with him playing a few less minutes and taking a couple less shots than years past so far, but you'd think that would be irrelevant to a player just coming off of the season he had with the overall resume he has in a "SuperStar" discussion. If he played on one of about 8 other organizations, this question would be considered blasphemous to even bring up until he proves to us that he can no longer anchor or co-anchor a contender. And we're not there yet.

By contrast, many fans now seem to consider Curry a superstar (I do myself for a # of reasons), and he's a 0 time All Star who hasn't reached the conference finals.

Sactown
12-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Yep, his name is Greg Pop...

Matter.
12-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Yep, his name is Greg Pop...

Was just about to say that

NoahH
12-12-2013, 03:14 PM
Yup Patty Mills

shauneazy
12-12-2013, 05:13 PM
The spurs do not have any superstars. When you envision the faces of the NBA do you ever see tony parker? No.

They have players who are excellent at tehir position, and game changers. However they do not have those NBA Superstars that they used to. Sorry Spurs fans, truth hurts.

WARRIORS@GR
12-12-2013, 05:55 PM
The spurs do not have any superstars. When you envision the faces of the NBA do you ever see tony parker? No.

They have players who are excellent at tehir position, and game changers. However they do not have those NBA Superstars that they used to. Sorry Spurs fans, truth hurts.If you do not envision Tony Parker and Tim Duncan as faces of the NBA you don't know much about basketball.

DreamShaker
12-12-2013, 06:10 PM
TP and Duncan. Casual fans know them and consider them top players, as do most hardcore fans.They stand out in both demographics.

I get what people are saying about guys like Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Howard, Melo, Durant, Paul, Rose, and Blake. Those are the commercials and in the media, and young guys like Curry, Harden, and Kyrie. Those are some guys people use to sell products and sell tickets. You won't see any Spurs ontat level at this point. Except for that weird Matt Bonner commercial that keeps popping up when I'm trying to watch youtube videos. Which is really random.

lakeshow22
12-12-2013, 06:39 PM
No

TrueFan420
12-12-2013, 06:48 PM
The best PF to ever play isn't considered a superstar what is your definition of one? Yes he's older but he's still elite. Then there's pop too. Parker isn't a superstar but he's damn close.

kobe4thewinbang
12-12-2013, 06:52 PM

They have players who are excellent at tehir position, and game changers. However they do not have those NBA Superstars that they used to. Sorry Spurs fans, truth hurts.Spurs fan aren't in pain. Aside from last year's FINALS, not having a superstar hasn't mattered much. They always put together a consistent team that shares the ball well. If they had a superstar, I think they would win more titles.

WARRIORS@GR
12-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Spurs fan aren't in pain. Aside from last year's FINALS, not having a superstar hasn't mattered much. They always put together a consistent team that shares the ball well. If they had a superstar, I think they would win more titles.So TD and Parker are/were not superstars basketball wise?

Ebbs
12-12-2013, 07:05 PM
No they don't.

They do have two players who can play like a super star any given night though.

They also know the secret.

force_within
12-12-2013, 08:34 PM
sad to say that Spurs doesn't have superstars but at least they are winning every season..
*cough* *cough*

D-Leethal
12-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Do you need celebrity status to be considered a "superstar"?

No, but I thought I read someone above hint towards that.

kobe4thewinbang
12-13-2013, 01:40 AM
So TD and Parker are/were not superstars basketball wise?I was speaking as of now. Duncan used to be, and Parker has gotten better over time.

BALLER R
12-13-2013, 01:48 AM
Two types of superstars. The flashy superstar and the non-flashy superstar. Duncan is their superstar but he isn't flashy so he doesn't get the attention some of the other guys get.

alexander_37
12-13-2013, 02:09 AM
Parker....

MikefromMars
12-13-2013, 09:21 AM
It's crazy to think you can have some 4 HOFers on a team at one time and still argue they don’t have a superstar.

Of course, if you’re saying the Spurs don’t have a SS… you’re prob the guy who prefers to play GM in NBA 2K and rarely gets to the game play. You probably also played dress up with your sisters… And if the definition of superstar is based primarily on marketability, then who really NEEDS a “Superstar” to win?

I’m sure TP and Gino are widely popular in France/Argentina. Not that it matters to any of the ethnocentric NBA fans who haven’t realized the games gone International…

I guess it really hinges on what the definition of a superstar is. I think it’s a player who shines above everyone else on the court… as in those players are shining stars, but Duncan is a SUPERSTAR.

shauneazy
12-13-2013, 09:58 AM
That is correct, the Spurs do not have a superstar.

I've said, the talent is there.. and I believe Parker is the No. 2-3 PG in the game (behind a REAL SUPERSTAR in Chris Paul and possibly Steph Curry). Duncan is great, don't get me wrong, but he is not a guy you'll see in commercials, he's not going to sell seats in an away team's arena, he's not going to be a flashy guy the media drools over every time they come into town.

That's what a superstar is. A superstar is great talent wise, but also is that big name that everyone recognizes, sells the tickets/jerseys, and is a face of the NBA. Sadly, there's no one on the Spurs roster that does this. Parker is the next closest thing and obviously he's a SS in the Spurs fanbase, but in the NBA fan base, he's no where the likes of Wade, Kobe, Lebron, Blake, CP3, Rose, etc. Those, my friends, are NBA super stars.

PhillyFaninLA
12-13-2013, 10:31 AM
This.

+2

pelmen84
12-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Taking winning% percentage into consideration, Parker and Duncan are superstars. If those guys were in LA or New York they would have been in every possible commercial. As i see it, superstar player is a player who delivers in clutch time after time.

TylerSL
12-13-2013, 11:13 AM
They have 2 in Duncan/Parker.

And 3 if you want to count Pop, although I wouldn't count coaches.

To those who are saying "Duncan used to be" by that logic is Derrick Rose still a superstar? I mean he has barely played in 2 years. If MJ never retired and still played today and averaged like 8 points a game, he would still be considered a superstar.

This notion that somehow the Spurs are less than all the other past champions is just stupid. I mean the fact that we are even raising this question is proof that everybody treats the Spurs different. If anything we should praise these guys for having (and continuing to have) the greatest 20-25 year run of any team in sports history. They have clearly had the greatest continuation of dominance ever seen in the NBA, made the playoffs 23 of the last 24 years including the last 16 years, have won 50+ games for 14 straight seasons (only team to do that ever) (and this would easily be 16 seasons in a row had the 98-99 season not been a 50 game season, their record that year was 37-13, in 97-98 it was 56-26), of those 23 of the past 24 years in the playoffs they have been to the WCF 9 times (8 with Duncan), NBA Finals 5 times, and have won 4 NBA Championships.

In San Antonio we are seeing the greatest streak of sustained dominance in any sport ever. And with the ascension of Leonard it looks like San Antonio could easily still be a very good team even after Duncan retires. The only reason winning 50+ games and going into the playoffs as a top seed (1-3) is not seen as prestigious thing for San Antonio is because they do it all the time. If a team like Toronto won 50+ games and went to the playoffs as a top seed (1-3) everybody would go insane. The Spurs do that every year.

shauneazy
12-13-2013, 11:48 AM
They have 2 in Duncan/Parker.

And 3 if you want to count Pop, although I wouldn't count coaches.

To those who are saying "Duncan used to be" by that logic is Derrick Rose still a superstar? I mean he has barely played in 2 years. If MJ never retired and still played today and averaged like 8 points a game, he would still be considered a superstar.

This notion that somehow the Spurs are less than all the other past champions is just stupid. I mean the fact that we are even raising this question is proof that everybody treats the Spurs different. If anything we should praise these guys for having (and continuing to have) the greatest 20-25 year run of any team in sports history. They have clearly had the greatest continuation of dominance ever seen in the NBA, made the playoffs 23 of the last 24 years including the last 16 years, have won 50+ games for 14 straight seasons (only team to do that ever) (and this would easily be 16 seasons in a row had the 98-99 season not been a 50 game season, their record that year was 37-13, in 97-98 it was 56-26), of those 23 of the past 24 years in the playoffs they have been to the WCF 9 times (8 with Duncan), NBA Finals 5 times, and have won 4 NBA Championships.

In San Antonio we are seeing the greatest streak of sustained dominance in any sport ever. And with the ascension of Leonard it looks like San Antonio could easily still be a very good team even after Duncan retires. The only reason winning 50+ games and going into the playoffs as a top seed (1-3) is not seen as prestigious thing for San Antonio is because they do it all the time. If a team like Toronto won 50+ games and went to the playoffs as a top seed (1-3) everybody would go insane. The Spurs do that every year.

What does this have to do with having an NBA superstar?

TylerSL
12-13-2013, 11:57 AM

I've said, the talent is there.. and I believe Parker is the No. 2-3 PG in the game (behind a REAL SUPERSTAR in Chris Paul and possibly Steph Curry). Duncan is great, don't get me wrong, but he is not a guy you'll see in commercials, he's not going to sell seats in an away team's arena, he's not going to be a flashy guy the media drools over every time they come into town.

That's what a superstar is. A superstar is great talent wise, but also is that big name that everyone recognizes, sells the tickets/jerseys, and is a face of the NBA. Sadly, there's no one on the Spurs roster that does this. Parker is the next closest thing and obviously he's a SS in the Spurs fanbase, but in the NBA fan base, he's no where the likes of Wade, Kobe, Lebron, Blake, CP3, Rose, etc. Those, my friends, are NBA super stars.

The only reason they are not in commercials is because they are in San Antonio and not Boston, LA, New York, Miami, or Chicago. If they were at any of those cities they would be all over the place. It also doesnt help that people such as yourself probably see the Spurs as a "boring" team. The problem is people's idea of a superstar. You mention Steph Curry as a superstar, and I believe he is a superstar too. However he has never been to an ASG and has only made the playoffs 1 time (this is his 5th season), Duncan has made 14 ASG and 16 playoff appearances.

TheNumber37
12-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Duncan is the best player at his position of all time.

Parker and Ginoboli are top... 15 international players of all time...

Pop is the best Coach in the NBA overall from the last 15 years (including Phil)

2-ONE-5
12-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Duncan and TP are superstars but these yonger genertions are so ****ed up anymore they think a superstar is someone they see on coomercials, etc. Your play on the court makes you a superstar.

todu82
12-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Yeah, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobli are all guys I'd consider superstars.

shauneazy
12-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Duncan and TP are superstars but these yonger genertions are so ****ed up anymore they think a superstar is someone they see on coomercials, etc. Your play on the court makes you a superstar.

No one is doubting the performance they have on the court. I know Duncan is one of, if not the, best PF in the game. I've already given credit to Parker and I believe the Spurs are one of the top three teams in the league. However, they do not have an NBA superstar on their team. They do not have a Lebron, a Kobe, or a Chris Paul. They have Parker, or even Duncan. If you were to rewind five years ago, Duncan was a NBA superstar. However, at this point in time, he is no more.

It may be the unfortunate circumstance that they are a smaller market in San Antonio. Although these players (Duncan, TP, Ginobili) may be some of the best at their position, they are not NBA superstars.

If you want to see what an NBA super star looks like, check out the Black Mamba and what he brings to the game.

shauneazy
12-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Yeah, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobli are all guys I'd consider superstars.

Are you sure that they are super stars? Or just basic stars? I don't believe you see any of them as faces of the nba or the media rushing to cover them. And I sure don't see them being a top jersey seller in the states. It may be marketing, but that's what comes with being an NBA super star.

P&GRealist
12-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Because they don't have a consistent go to guy (Duncan is not a consistent go to guy as he was back in 2007), the Spurs will excel and win all these crazy amount of games in the regular season, but never again will win the big one. They had their shot last yr, and in my estimation, the annual regular season fool's gold San Antonio Spurs will flop once again when playoff times rolls around.

With a 4th consecutive fantastic regular season, you'd think they'd have 1 championship to show for it. That's what not having a consistent superstar who can close games for you will do for you.

waveycrockett
12-13-2013, 03:38 PM
Idk if I would call Tony Parker a superstar but he is a great player. He's not on the level of guys like LeBron, KD, Paul George imo but he's close. In that Kevin Love, CP3 tier. Tim Duncan is a part time superstar now but more like just a really good player. Ginobili is done.

sunsfan88
12-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Um yea Tony Parker who is a top 8 player in the league.

waveycrockett
12-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Um yea Tony Parker who is a top 8 player in the league.

All top-8 players aren't superstars. Superstar status is somebody top-5 or likely top-3. There are not 8 superstars in the NBA at the moment and we are also over looking the fact that TP plays in a great system for the best coach in the NBA. Production wise sure he is top-8 but pure talent he is not even top-10.

shauneazy
12-13-2013, 03:52 PM
All top-8 players aren't superstars. Superstar status is somebody top-5 or likely top-3. There are not 8 superstars in the NBA at the moment and we are also over looking the fact that TP plays in a great system for the best coach in the NBA. Production wise sure he is top-8 but pure talent he is not even top-10.

preach

2-ONE-5
12-13-2013, 04:41 PM
production is what makes you a super star

SPURSFAN1
12-13-2013, 05:06 PM
A superstar is an allstar among allstars. Tim duncan and tony parker get respect from top to bottom from the league. From lebron, shaq, kobe, to all the actual players, head coaches, and assistant coaches. They hold both those guys to the upmost respect because they know they're players, competitors, finishers, closers, leaders. Jeremy lin is ahead of parker in the allstar voting. Casual fans don't know chit about real basketball players.

IKnowHoops
12-14-2013, 01:22 AM
Here are some superstars from the past PRIME Shaq, Duncan, KG, DROB, Hakeem, Kobe,TMAC, Vince, AI, Karl Malone, Jordan. Guys that weren't superstars PRIME Reggie Miller, Tim Hardaway, Chris Mullin, Gary Payton, Chris Webber, Ray Allen, Alonzo Mourning. Fringe guys Scottie Pippen, James Worthy.

So as you can see I have Vince Carter and AI as superstars, even though most people will rank Scottie Pippen and James Worthy above Vince for sure. Vince Peak was much higher than James and Scottie from a stats point of view, and by putting high stats and having huge years, and dominating your position is how you can become a superstar, and Vince did that at a level that Scottie and James never did. But Scottie is probably better than Vince but I think its pretty close.

Now all this being said there are only two superstars in the NBA. Bron and Durant. Fringe Chris Paul. After that everyone else is just climbing to get to fringe. Lebron and Durant are possibly top 1-2 at there position all time. They are in there own class in the NBA hence Superstar.

Jarvo
12-14-2013, 02:29 AM

:laugh: Duncan & Parker and have the best coach in all of the NBA.

Jarvo
12-14-2013, 02:35 AM

Look where they play and I think Duncan & Parker put ***** in seats.

MonroeFAN
12-14-2013, 11:16 AM
Mis-read post, please ignore.

TylerSL
12-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Because they don't have a consistent go to guy (Duncan is not a consistent go to guy as he was back in 2007), the Spurs will excel and win all these crazy amount of games in the regular season, but never again will win the big one. They had their shot last yr, and in my estimation, the annual regular season fool's gold San Antonio Spurs will flop once again when playoff times rolls around.

With a 4th consecutive fantastic regular season, you'd think they'd have 1 championship to show for it. That's what not having a consistent superstar who can close games for you will do for you.

You have to ask yourself two questions.

1. Have I ever even seen a basketball game?

2. Who do I root for, and is our best player even half as good as Tony Parker?

RiceOnTheRun
12-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Pop for one

I personally think TP has an argument for best PG in the league, and he definitely doesn't fall anywhere past third.

Duncan, as old as he is, is still an elite PF/C whatever you call him in my books. With his intellect alone, he's an all-star level player. His body's been pretty well managed thanks to Pop so he should still have a bit more in the tank.

SPURSFAN1
12-14-2013, 03:20 PM
NBA FINALS and no superstar. People are a joke in here.

ztilzer31
12-14-2013, 03:23 PM
Spurs= Duke of the NBA.

They have plenty of Superstars, but they also have great teamwork, and efficiency, and no one plays selfish.

Honestly Spurs have been the best franchise in the NBA since the day they drafted Duncan.

WES KOAST
12-14-2013, 03:23 PM
superstars or not and as much as I hate the spurs, i'll take a core of Duncan/parker/ginobili + pop over any trio/coach

SPURSFAN1
12-14-2013, 03:41 PM
I hate having this conversation early in the season. Everyone is averaging under 28 mins besides tony parker. Jeff ayres is getting some starts for the spurs lol. 3rd string is playing every game. Spurs with 2nd defense and 6th offense. Still in 1st gear. Rodeo road trip is probably 2 months away. Noone is averaging 40mins like in the playoffs. We will make ya talk about us in the playoffs though.

WES KOAST
12-14-2013, 03:46 PM
I thought the spurs in the finals last year was going to kill the ratings but that was a great series. having said that, Miami/okc please. pacers/spurs and im def not watching