PDA

View Full Version : Antwan Jamison is the 20th player to put up 20k points, 8k boards, and 1k assists.

Bruno
12-11-2013, 11:09 PM
http://i.imgur.com/QlTmZMC.jpg

He just joined elite company cracking the 20k/8k/1k club. Only twenty players have done it in NBA history. Four other active players are in the club, and fifteen of the sixteen other players who have done it are in the hall of fame (Shaq being the only exception because he isn't eligible yet).

Will Antwan Jamison be inducted in the the hall of fame?

Hellcrooner
12-11-2013, 11:10 PM
No he wont.

Unless they name kblow 24/7 and his stupiditys to the comitee,

P&GRealist
12-11-2013, 11:13 PM
Arbitrary numbers, really zero significance in the big framework of things for a guy who has declined severely the last 4 yrs and never played a lick of D his entire career. And of course, has never come close to competing for a title.

b@llhog24
12-11-2013, 11:15 PM
Once you cross 20,000 points. HOF recognition starts. If he wins a ring on a contender then most definitely.

NBA_Starter
12-11-2013, 11:17 PM
He has quietly had a good career.

KnicksorBust
12-11-2013, 11:18 PM
In fairness those are impressive counting stats but I have never heard of the 20k/8k/1k club until now.

Bruno
12-11-2013, 11:32 PM
In fairness those are impressive counting stats but I have never heard of the 20k/8k/1k club until now.

Neither have I, but only twenty guys have done it and all of the with the exception to Jamison seem to be locks for the HOF, or are already in it. It seems to be a club for big men who were either good facilitators, or have stuck around enough to crack 1,000 assists

Raps18-19 Champ
12-11-2013, 11:37 PM
Neither have I, but only twenty guys have done it and all of the with the exception to Jamison seem to be locks for the HOF, or are already in it. It seems to be a club for big men who were either good facilitators, or have stuck around enough to crack 1,000 assists

A big man, if plays all 82 games, can reach 1,0000 assists in their 10th season if they average 1.3 a game.

Bruno
12-11-2013, 11:40 PM
A big man, if plays all 82 games, can reach 1,0000 assists in their 10th season if they average 1.3 a game.

thanks for running the numbers. so I guess cracking the 20k plateau and pairing it with 8k rebounds is really more so what this is about. although you'd be hard pressed to find me a HOF caliber big man who played all 82 games for ten years in a row- you could find a few guys who came close but not many. the math at 60-65 games a season seems more realistic, regardless were not talking about a high assist per game average.

KnicksorBust
12-11-2013, 11:40 PM

Not too impressive... makes me want to check david wests numbers.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Not too impressive... makes me want to check david wests numbers.

Lol he was the first guy I checked.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/2177/david-west

A lot of guys crack the 1000 assists. The 20K and 8K are what makes it difficult.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-11-2013, 11:43 PM
thanks for running the numbers. so I guess cracking the 20k plateau and pairing it with 8k rebounds is really more so what this is about. although you'd be hard pressed to find me a HOF caliber big man who played all 82 games for ten years in a row- you could find a few guys who came close but not many. the math at 60-65 games a season seems more realistic, regardless were not talking about a high assist per game average.

Average it out to like 70 games and yea, you stretch it to like 12-15 seasons.

A lot of big men are on pace to crack that assist mark. So yea, mostly the 20K and 8K. You'd definitely need a few 20 PPG with 7-10 RPG seasons.

Bruno
12-11-2013, 11:49 PM
Average it out to like 70 games and yea, you stretch it to like 12-15 seasons.

A lot of big men are on pace to crack that assist mark. So yea, mostly the 20K and 8K. You'd definitely need a few 20 PPG with 7-10 RPG seasons.
that makes sense.

Jamison only averaged double digit rebounding numbers once in his career so I guess his longevity is what's gotten him to the 8k mark in the first place.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-11-2013, 11:52 PM
His ability to score is what separates him from other big men. Guys like Boozer, Randolph, etc are still thousands away from 20K despite already reaching or on pace to passing 1,000 and 8,000.

Bruno
12-12-2013, 12:05 AM
His ability to score is what separates him from other big men. Guys like Boozer, Randolph, etc are still thousands away from 20K despite already reaching or on pace to passing 1,000 and 8,000.

interesting.

yeah, jamison could put them up. I remember him dropping 50 on the Lakers once years ago.

conway429
12-12-2013, 12:18 AM
you'd think they would have mentioned him in a much more exclusive club when you add in 1000+ 3-pointers and 1000+ steals, probably fairly rare for a big man.

I've always been a fan of Jamison. hasn't had a sexy enough career, but I wouldn't be too upset if he got in.

edit: actually now that I look at it, until Dirk gets 12 more steals, he's the only player in NBA history to put up 20,000 points - 8,000 rebounds - 1,000 assists - 1,000 steals and 1,000 made 3s.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=pts&c1comp=gt&c1val=20000&c2stat=trb&c2comp=gt&c2val=8000&c3stat=ast&c3comp=gt&c3val=1000&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=pts

bholly
12-12-2013, 12:24 AM
For some reason I just went through every guy on BBR's list of NBA/ABA players with 8000+ rebounds. There's 75 of them. I learned two things:
1) I should open the thread before wasting all that time.
2) Of the 75 guys with 8000+ rebounds, only 2 don't also have 1000+ assists - Larry Smith (941) and Dale Davis (978). Neither of them have even 10,000 points, which means every single person in the 20,000/8,000 club is also in the 20,000/8,000/1,000 club. I didn't look at which guys have 20,000 points, but based on most of the assist totals I saw I'm guessing Jamison has amongst the lowest number of assists in the 20,000/8,000 club. So it's pretty funny to include that as part of the qualification. I'm not complaining, just saying it's funny.

Still, I'm seriously surprised and impressed. He's only the 43rd player in the 20k club, and that in itself is pretty damn impressive. More than TMac and Joe Johnson, and wayy more than Nash, Gasol, Billups, Rip, JRich, Amar'e, etc. I remember those seasons in GSW and WAS, but I still would never have guessed. Real impressive.

bholly
12-12-2013, 12:25 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=pts&c1comp=gt&c1val=20000&c2stat=trb&c2comp=gt&c2val=8000&c3stat=ast&c3comp=gt&c3val=1000&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=pts

God dammit, why can I never figure out how to do career searches when I need to? I knew there was a way. Wasted like 10 minutes.

conway429
12-12-2013, 12:26 AM
hahah I just googled "list of nba players with 20,000 points....etc" wasted like 6 seconds

DreamShaker
12-12-2013, 12:39 AM
He has zero chance of making the HOF, but has had a career most guys would kill for. Never a number one option or ever part of a team that made any noise in the playoffs. But he has stuck around and produced. Like a big man Mark Jackson type of career.

mightybosstone
12-12-2013, 12:41 AM
Jamison was a very good player at his peak and it's impressive that he put up those kinds of career numbers, but he would have to make the Hall of Fame solely on longevity, and that's just not going to happen. The guy played in only two All-Star games in 16 years, he never made a single All-NBA team, and he only played in 46 playoff games in 16 years while never getting further than the second round of the playoffs and his peak and prime numbers aren't that impressive.

At best, Jamison was a top 20-25 guy at his peak, and that should not merit making the NBA Hall of Fame. If he had put up those same numbers and had a few rings or 4-5 more All-Star games or maybe 1-2 All-NBA teams thrown in there, maybe this would be a different conversation. And the guy has also historically been a pretty awful defensive player, especially at the 4, which doesn't do him any favors.

Jamison was a fairly versatile, dangerous offensive player, but overall pretty forgettable unless you're a Wizards or Warriors fan. Twenty years from now if someone brings up his name, it'll take me several minutes to remember the guy, and the best I'll remember from him will be as the third best player on a Wizards team which accomplished nothing. Does that sound like a Hall of Famer to you?

conway429
12-12-2013, 01:47 AM
He has zero chance of making the HOF, but has had a career most guys would kill for. Never a number one option or ever part of a team that made any noise in the playoffs. But he has stuck around and produced. Like a big man Mark Jackson type of career.

I don't know about that, he led his team in shot attempts and points several times. Never made noise in the playoffs true, but I think you could say he was a #1 option for at least a year or two each with GS, WSH, and CLE.

AnthonyTyrael2
12-12-2013, 03:52 AM
you'd think they would have mentioned him in a much more exclusive club when you add in 1000+ 3-pointers and 1000+ steals, probably fairly rare for a big man.

I've always been a fan of Jamison. hasn't had a sexy enough career, but I wouldn't be too upset if he got in.

edit: actually now that I look at it, until Dirk gets 12 more steals, he's the only player in NBA history to put up 20,000 points - 8,000 rebounds - 1,000 assists - 1,000 steals and 1,000 made 3s.

Now that makes KG and Dirk's career look even more impressive, also KAJ's. KG assists, blocks and rebound numbers...wow. Next milestone 2000 blocks.

DreamShaker
12-12-2013, 05:47 AM
Hmmmm. I guess he was the de facto number one option a few times. But it was never an ideal situation to have him as such.

Chrisclover
12-12-2013, 06:04 AM
He was a monster who couldnt be ignored but alas, Time Father finally deprived him of his explosiveness. It was such a shame that his last season attempt to seize an NBA champion ring was unexpectedly and sadly thwarted by the plague of lakers injury and the lack of chemistry between every stellar player.
During last season, he said he never regreted joining the lakers. But Hey, everybody knew he wanted the ring --he was just keeping his demeanor and tried not to upset his gloomy teammates.Finally, lakers squeezed into the playoffs but undoubtedly swept by spurs.Jamison had fulfilled his job and he wasn't the man to be blamed. The fate made a fool of him.
Though he is now a washed -up veteran, he is still pursuiting his desired ring.
Old soldiers never die! Bravo!

sunsfan88
12-12-2013, 06:17 AM
He isn't gonna and shouldn't make HOF.

LAcowBOMBER
12-12-2013, 06:58 AM
No such thing as NBA Hall of Fame. 20k points and National Player of the Year in college. He will get in

AnthonyTyrael2
12-12-2013, 07:54 AM
No such thing as NBA Hall of Fame. 20k points and National Player of the Year in college. He will get in

Wasn't he also sixth man of the year during his Mavs tenure? We can dig deeper than that to find more accomplishments but is it enouhg to be considered? He might but I'm doubting it too.

NoahH
12-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Why is everyone calling Jamison a big man? He's an undersized PF

Cal827
12-12-2013, 03:50 PM
I think he should, but I'm not sure if they'll actually decide to send him.

amak316
12-13-2013, 12:39 PM
The NBA hall of fame is pretty weak. The lowest tier players in the HOF aren't all that impressive, so I could see him having a chance. His career was pretty boring though.

knicksfan1794
12-13-2013, 01:02 PM
He won't be a first ballot hall of famer but if you take into account at all the awards he won and his career numbers he might make it, or at least be considered

2 time nba all star, nba sixth man of the year, college player of the year, nba all rookie team

and then taking into account that he scored 20k in points and 8k in rebounds

i think that sums up a pretty good career if you ask me

i feel like there have been players getting in for far less than that but i could be wrong

Chronz
12-13-2013, 01:22 PM
A great example of why longevity isn't as important as prime play

Pierzynski4Prez
12-13-2013, 01:38 PM
He won't be a first ballot hall of famer but if you take into account at all the awards he won and his career numbers he might make it, or at least be considered

2 time nba all star, nba sixth man of the year, college player of the year, nba all rookie team

and then taking into account that he scored 20k in points and 8k in rebounds

i think that sums up a pretty good career if you ask me

i feel like there have been players getting in for far less than that but i could be wrong

For me his numbers add up to be pretty close to HOF. Then I saw the accolades. Not sure if that really shouts HOF. Well above average career, sure. HOF, I don't think so. I was a huge Jamison fan in college too, but the accolades just don't add up for me to be HOF. Would open the door to a lot of 2x future all stars to make it. All rookie teams and 6th man don't really provide the support for HOF.

bagwell368
12-13-2013, 02:25 PM
http://i.imgur.com/QlTmZMC.jpg

He just joined elite company cracking the 20k/8k/1k club. Only twenty players have done it in NBA history. Four other active players are in the club, and fifteen of the sixteen other players who have done it are in the hall of fame (Shaq being the only exception because he isn't eligible yet).

Will Antwan Jamison be inducted in the the hall of fame?

Not a chance. He's in the Dandridge, A.C. Green, Oakley vicinity.

He didn't do much in the playoffs, he played in 2 TWO All Star Games (and did nothing).

A long, non elite career means he's in the Hall of the Pretty Damn Good - and that's it.

BKLYNpigeon
12-13-2013, 02:48 PM
we will all forget who Antwan Jamison is in 10 years.

its the NBA. they have the WORST WORST Hall of Fame in sports. they let EVERYONE in, 10+ people a year, its has watered down the HOF. I dont know why a broadcaster or writer would have his statue grace the halls of the HOF next to Jordan. lol.

P&GRealist
12-13-2013, 03:05 PM

its the NBA. they have the WORST WORST Hall of Fame in sports. they let EVERYONE in, 10+ people a year, its has watered down the HOF. I dont know why a broadcaster or writer would have his statue grace the halls of the HOF next to Jordan. lol.

I could fast forward to the beginning of the new year and I won't even remember who Antawn Jamison was.

amak316
12-13-2013, 07:05 PM

I could fast forward to the beginning of the new year and I won't even remember who Antawn Jamison was.

Lol I read this thread and was wondering how Antoine Walker hit this milestone without being on an nba roster. Took me a second to even remember who Jamison was.