View Full Version : Rate the Sim: BCpatsox18 as GM

RedSoxtober
12-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Sign Ramon Santiago 1 year/2 million
Sign Corey Hart 1 year/9 million
Sign Masahiro Tanaka 6 years/84 million
Trade Jake Peavy, Brian Johnson to Dodgers for Joc Pederson
Trade John Lackey to Twins for Alex Meyer
Trade Allen Webster, Matt Barnes, one of Daniel McGrath/Ty Buttrey/Jamie Callahan, Christian Vazquez, and Bryce Brentz to Marlins for Giancarlo Stanton
Sign Stanton to 7 year/126 million extension

Corey Hart signs to play LF/1B, splitting time with Gomes, Nava, and Carp at those two positions, cheaper alternative to Napoli with what i think will be similar production. Ramon Santiago backs up second third and short. Joc Pederson is expendable for the Dodgers with their OF jam and acquiring Peavy gives them one of the best 1-2-3 in baseball, and Pederson gives the Sox a top OF prospect which they lack in the system behind JBJ. The Twins have been looking to upgrade their rotation all offseason and with Lackey, Nolasco, and Hughes they become contenders in a weak central division. Acquiring Meyer gives the Sox another top SP prospect and allows them to make Barnes and Webster expendable in a Stanton trade

Rotation:
Lester
Buchholz
Tanaka
Doubront
Dempster

Bullpen:
Koji Uehara
Edward Mujica
Junichi Tazawa
Craig Breslow
Andrew Miller
Burke Badenhop
Brandon Workman

Lineup (RHP)
1B- Daniel Nava
2B- Dustin Pedroia
DH- David Ortiz
LF- Giancarlo Stanton
RF- Shane Victorino
SS- Xander Bogaerts
C- AJ Pierzynski
3B- Will Middlebrooks
CF- Jackie Bradley Jr.

Lineup (LHP)
CF- Shane Victorino
2B- Dustin Pedroia
DH- David Ortiz
RF- Giancarlo Stanton
LF- Jonny Gomes
1B- Corey Hart
SS- Xander Bogaerts
3B- Will Middlebrooks
C- David Ross

BostonSports96
12-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Too much movement, and its impossible now with Napoli back.

RedSoxtober
12-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Too much movement, and its impossible now with Napoli back.

These sims should be considered without any reference to what has taken place since they were submitted. This is what the POSTER would have done and it need not align with the actual moves.

bagwell368
12-09-2013, 06:45 PM
1. Way short on Stanton deal IMO.
2. No back-up or platoon whatever at 3B - risky - unless you plan on XB doing it.
3. Tanaka very expensive move and risky. You've stripped the staff more than my SIM, are counting on Dempster as the #5 and Buchholz as the #2, and Workman as the only real candidate to take over in case of injury. Also with Barnes gone - '15 is possibly short as well.
4. No budget listed
5. Stanton can't ply RF in Fenway, and Victorino is almost for sure a negative in CF going forward, but great in RF

homie564
12-09-2013, 07:42 PM
There's probably a negative percent chance the Dodgers would not laugh hysterically at that trade.

win red sox
12-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Outside of the Dodgers trade(I would add Betts), it seems reasonable. I could see Stanton playing Rf for 1 year and then switch to LF once Pederson is ready. You maintained some pitching depth with Ranaudo, Owens, Myers. I like the creativity, good sim.

BCpatsox18
12-10-2013, 04:45 PM
1. Way short on Stanton deal IMO.
2. No back-up or platoon whatever at 3B - risky - unless you plan on XB doing it.
3. Tanaka very expensive move and risky. You've stripped the staff more than my SIM, are counting on Dempster as the #5 and Buchholz as the #2, and Workman as the only real candidate to take over in case of injury. Also with Barnes gone - '15 is possibly short as well.
4. No budget listed
5. Stanton can't ply RF in Fenway, and Victorino is almost for sure a negative in CF going forward, but great in RF

1. The marlins get two top pitching prospects, their future starting catcher, a solid power bat in brentz and a high upside lower level minors pitcher, I don't think many teams can match that package
2. Ramon Santiago backs up short and xander slides to 3b when WMB has the day off
3. I agree it's a risk with Tanaka but if you have the chance to acquire a number two pitcher who has the upside of an all-star level pitcher at the age of 24 without gutting your farm you have to do it
4. I forgot that was my mistake
5. Stanton only plays right in a handful of games, he plays right field for the marlins and though it would be a challenge for him in the big rf at Fenway he only has to do that for home games against LHP- not than many times. I believe he can handle that and on the road against lefties

bagwell368
12-10-2013, 05:08 PM
1. The marlins get two top pitching prospects, their future starting catcher, a solid power bat in brentz and a high upside lower level minors pitcher, I don't think many teams can match that package

Webster is not a high level spec. You gave a list of players including Vazquez, not just Vazquez - so this is confusing. The shine is off of Brentz, he looks like a 4th OF now. Your other pitcher is a 1 in 10 shot in the dark. I gave up much more in my SIM and got about half the folks saying it wasn't enough. This is not enough IMO.

2. Ramon Santiago backs up short and xander slides to 3b when WMB has the day off

Ah yes... sorry.

3. I agree it's a risk with Tanaka but if you have the chance to acquire a number two pitcher who has the upside of an all-star level pitcher at the age of 24 without gutting your farm you have to do it

Yanks will outbid all, hopefully he sucks if so.

5. Stanton only plays right in a handful of games, he plays right field for the marlins and though it would be a challenge for him in the big rf at Fenway he only has to do that for home games against LHP- not than many times. I believe he can handle that and on the road against lefties

That would be around 25 games in Fenway. Hopefully in night games only.

BCpatsox18
12-10-2013, 06:17 PM
There's probably a negative percent chance the Dodgers would not laugh hysterically at that trade.

Jake Peavy was traded for Avisail Garcia, the #74 prospect in baseball prior to 2013 according to BA. Joc Pederson was rated the #85 prospect prior to 2013, and i included Brian Johnson who still has a high floor. I realize Pederson's stock has risen since then, but I can't believe in one year the gap between Garcia and Pederson has been blown open. It's a reasonable trade if you think about the cost of good starting pitching.

BCpatsox18
12-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Also, Jake Peavy back in the national league in the huge parks of the NL West could revert to all star form in my opinion

RedSoxtober
12-10-2013, 07:55 PM
There are a few factors against the Pederson deal. You note that Pederson's stock has risen but you've also got to account for (a) one less year of control of Peavy, (b) another Peavy injury, and (c) the cost/control factor of Pederson in the LAD system. The last point may be very important; the Dodgers have paid for MANY big contracts of late and are staring down the barrel of an extension for Kershaw. Pederson's presence at $500K in that scenario is vital.

ruckus16969
12-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Unlikely sim but I would be happy as hell if it did happen. If all of these things happened we be a fun team to watch for years to come. And would make it so next years offseason we would only really have to focus on pitching. With next years inventory of pitcher it could be pretty exciting to be able to put most of our resources into pitching.