PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Winter Meetings

RedSoxtober
12-09-2013, 09:54 AM
To kick things off, a few ideas from Peter Abraham.

“I do think we go into the Winter Meetings in a position of strength, with a very strong roster and one that we feel good about going into the season if not much changes,” Cherington said.

In a way, having a largely settled roster could create more work for Cherington and the baseball operations staff. Not having many specific needs will allow the Sox the freedom to be creative in the trade market and seek ways to improve a team they already feel is strong.

“I have a feeling it will be just as busy. The pace won’t be any different. We’ll just be talking about different kind of things,” Cherington said. “When there’s a clear need to fill, there’s more of a linear process and we’re focusing on certain things and trying to march down the field on certain things, a certain player or trade that fills that need.

“When you’re not doing that kind of thing as much, it’s a bigger universe so there’s a lot of ideas floating around the room and a lot of conversation.”

A few thoughts on where those conversations could go:

• Making a big trade: The Sox have an extra starter, an extra catcher in Ryan Lavarnway and some solid prospects. It's enough to cobble together a deal.

The Dodgers have spoken to the Sox to gauge interest in outfielder Matt Kemp, a two-time All-Star. But there is ample reason for caution.

In the last 14 months, Kemp has twice had surgery on his left shoulder and once on his left ankle. He had a torn labrum repaired in Oct. of 2013 then a procedure on the AC joint a year later.

Kemp hit only six home runs in 263 at-bats last season and there is concern that the shoulder injury affected his mechanics and power, much in the same way it did Adrian Gonzalez.

Gonzalez has averaged 22 home runs in the three seasons since his shoulder surgery. He averaged 32 in the five years prior.

Kemp also has six years and $128 million remaining on his contract. The Dodgers would presumably pick up part of that in a trade, but the Red Sox have avoided long-term deals for two years now outside of Dustin Pedroia.

• Making a medium-sized trade: The Sox could deal from their depth and pick up a solid first base or outfield prospect, two areas where the farm system is a little deficient.

• Pick up an infielder: The Red Sox need a utility infielder, somebody who could back up at second, third and shortstop. Free agent Justin Turner would work. Maybe they will bring John McDonald back.

• Retaining Stephen Drew: In what has been a frenzied market for free agents, Drew's name has not come up much because of the draft-pick compensation attached to his price. If he is still searching for a team on Jan. 20, the Red Sox could be waiting. They would take him back on their terms and play Bogaerts at third base.

It's important to note that the Sox are close to their payroll number of last season. Contracted raises, arbitration and a full year of Jake Peavy added to the payroll along with the free agents. Cherington also values having some money to be flexible for in-season additions.

So don't expect the Red Sox to be in play for a prominent free agent like Shin-Soo Choo. Such a move would require some roster manipulation.

Station 13
12-09-2013, 09:59 AM
Anyone expecting a trade? They have prospects. But it seems they coveted them very much these days, not dealings with FA who wants beyond 2+ years.

RedSoxtober
12-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Yes, I expect trades but going the opposite way. They'll be courted quite a bit to deal from their SP strength.

cicerosox
12-09-2013, 12:24 PM
I expect a trade due to some redundancy. We have 6 SP for 5 spots, not counting Workman or the 4 prospects in triple A. Not sure it will be a big trade that would take 4 or 5 prospects, but maybe a midlevel trade for an OFer able to backup all 3 positions

Walligans
12-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Peter Abraham is garbage, he's more of a game thread blogger than someone with inside information.

todu82
12-09-2013, 12:31 PM
I think we make a trade sometime during the winter meetings. Probably one of our starters for another bat.

MoVaughnsLunch
12-09-2013, 01:06 PM
I can see us moving surplus. I don't know. I don't think BC is willing to give the Gomes/ Nava pairing another full year. With Ellsbury gone and Victorino having injury troubles I can see us adding a big bat to LF. I think we add a LF and keep Nava. I fear Gomes could be the guy that gets traded. He could net us a decent infielder through trade, someone to pair with Will at third.

While I'd love Stanton, I think Kemp is a real option for us. If the Dodgers eat salary, the deal still wouldn't cost us that much in specs. We could then sign a RHH CF to pair with Jackie and get games in RF. This of course, would mean the end of Gomes

Names I wouldn't be surprised to see heading out: Peavy, Dempster, Lackey, Duobront, Gomes, Carp, Webster, Ranaudo, Lavarnway.

I'm not saying all of these obviously, but we just have too many specs and SP's not to make a move and significantly improve our line-up.

-Lavigne43-
12-09-2013, 01:31 PM
@bradfo 1h
Seems to be a lot of interest in Mike Carp. Considering what's left in first base maker, makes sense

cicerosox
12-09-2013, 01:53 PM
What do you think about a trade with the White Sox, we get Alexie Ramirez and Chris Sale, the White Sox get WMB, Doubront, Carp or Nava, Lavarnway, Brentz, Webster and mabe Betts. Xander moves over to 3rd and Ramirez plays SS

-Lavigne43-
12-09-2013, 02:01 PM
I think you listed maybe 10% of the value you would need to get Chris Sale, and that's being generous.

-Lavigne43-
12-09-2013, 02:03 PM
‏@JeffPassan 6m
Sources: Phillies actively shopping OF Domonic Brown. Looking for controllable starting pitching in return. Idea is to sell high on him.

Buchholz? Doubront? Just throwing it out there, have not really looked at what he did last year

-Lavigne43-
12-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Looking quickly at his season I see no reason for a quick decline in offense. K rate wasn't crazy, babip wasn't abnormal, possibly low given his LD rate. Ben should look into this. Would you trade WMB (not sure what they have at 3b) and maybe one of the minor league SP's? Then we can sign Drew, move X to 3b.

MiamiBoy77
12-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Peter Abraham is garbage, he's more of a game thread blogger than someone with inside information.

i thought everything he said seemed kind of reasonable...

MiamiBoy77
12-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Looking quickly at his season I see no reason for a quick decline in offense. K rate wasn't crazy, babip wasn't abnormal, possibly low given his LD rate. Ben should look into this. Would you trade WMB (not sure what they have at 3b) and maybe one of the minor league SP's? Then we can sign Drew, move X to 3b.

WMB and Doubront for Brown and a good Spec??

or even Webster and a mid level spec for Brown

SirHizz
12-09-2013, 02:55 PM
WMB and Doubront for Brown and a good Spec??

or even Webster and a mid level spec for Brown

Well, considering that we arguabbly have a better LHH OF bat in Nava (pretty evenly matched in terms of offensive and defensive value), I don't see the upside in trading for Brown. You might say that Nava is unlikely to repeat his 2013 campaign, but Brown is no lock either. His 2012 season was horrible and besides his hot start in 2013, he was nothing special the rest of the way.

If you ask me, he's not that much better than Middlebrooks.

-Lavigne43-
12-09-2013, 03:05 PM
I don't know the breakdown of Brown's season, but the guy always has had a ton of potential, and the Phillies never gave him consistent playing time until last year. He's a former number 1 prospect in all of baseball. The defensive numbers are scary though.

MiamiBoy77
12-09-2013, 03:13 PM
I don't know the breakdown of Brown's season, but the guy always has had a ton of potential, and the Phillies never gave him consistent playing time until last year. He's a former number 1 prospect in all of baseball. The defensive numbers are scary though.

dont think you need great defense to play LF in Fenway...

hes a decent fallback option if we miss on Stanton/Kemp

Walligans
12-09-2013, 03:16 PM
I did a lot of research on Brown for my fantasy baseball league, and at least in my opinion he seems like a pretty big candidate for regression. In 2013, his batted ball distance on fly balls decreased by 3 feet but he saw his HR/FB% more than double. And in the second half, pitches adjusted to him by pitching him away and his power more or less disappeared. Fangraphs wrote two excellent articles on whether his 2013 season was for real.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/domonic-brown-goes-mashing/

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/domonic-brown-and-exploring-the-reality-of-breakouts/

Station 13
12-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Cherry gotten calls on Lackey, Nava and Carp.

Nobody call him about Dempster.

BGeer091
12-09-2013, 03:52 PM
I wonder if Carp could get us a player like Josh Bell from PIT. He could be a good piece to send to MIA in a Stanton deal.

Bo Sox Fan
12-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Give up on Stanton already.

Kemp is more of a reality according to everything that has been discussed in the media circle since the end of playoffs.

MiamiBoy77
12-09-2013, 03:57 PM
i could see us moving Carp, adding Kemp, and keeping both Gomes and Nava.

BostonBoy
12-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Wouldn't mind Brown at the right price. Those fangraph articles are great, but over the course of a full season, Brown is a 20-30 HR guy, which I'd gladly take over a Nava/Gomes platoon. I feel like the ISO numbers are legit and he can learn to hit outside pitches since he has good swing mechanics.

Bo Sox Fan
12-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Also, in order to add Kemp... we HAVE to get rid of one Lackey, Peavy or Dempster to even make it remotely close to staying under the $189 million dollar threshold since we're right against it at the moment.

I'd expect nothing more than a cheap Franklin Guitierrez signing at the meetings but I hope I'm wrong. I kinda like the big splash deals if it makes us better.

Station 13
12-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Wouldn't mind Brown at the right price. Those fangraph articles are great, but over the course of a full season, Brown is a 20-30 HR guy, which I'd gladly take over a Nava/Gomes platoon. I feel like the ISO numbers are legit and he can learn to hit outside pitches since he has good swing mechanics.

Nava is a better hitter than Brown, who was an underachiever for a few years. No thanks.

BostonBoy
12-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Nava is a better hitter than Brown, who was an underachiever for a few years. No thanks.

He's a better hitter vs. righties at the moment, but not a better overall hitter. I'll still take Brown over Nava/Gomes platoon. Nava is 30-years old and will be 31 by the time the season starts, Domonic Brown just turned 26-years old. Brown's ISO is legit and he's still improving.

Like I said before, it would have to be the right price. Not going to overpay for a guy that has the potential to flop. At least you know what you're getting in Nava, but for the right deal, I think Brown could be a good acquisition.

Station 13
12-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Brown had a good May when we play his team, after May he was back to being average, including a .700OPS post all-star. That's not a player on your coveted list. Like I said, he had 1 great month where he hits 12HR, he hit 4HR after mid July, playing in a bandbox. He is about a 15HR playing in Fenway, and his defense is brutal.

BostonBoy
12-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Brown had a good May when we play his team, after May he was back to being average, including a .700OPS post all-star. That's not a player on your coveted list. Like I said, he had 1 great month where he hits 12HR, he hit 4HR after mid July, playing in a bandbox. He is about a 15HR playing in Fenway, and his defense is brutal.

He was also injured after mid-July. He missed 22 games and didn't look the same after his achilles injury. If you want to make a case that he's injury prone (which he has missed significant time due to injury), then fine. Otherwise, agree to disagree. You are right about his defense, but you don't need a good defensive LF in Fenway.

Station 13
12-09-2013, 05:13 PM
He was also injured after mid-July. He missed 22 games and didn't look the same after his achilles injury. If you want to make a case that he's injury prone (which he has missed significant time due to injury), then fine. Otherwise, agree to disagree. You are right about his defense, but you don't need a good defensive LF in Fenway.

Ok who in your mind would get send to Phi for this trade?

j-bay
12-09-2013, 05:16 PM
According to Bowden this morning, the Dodgers have talked to the Sox about Kemp in a deal with the pieces being WMB and a pitching prospect.

ruckus16969
12-09-2013, 05:19 PM

Lackey or Peavy. Then we would have to trade an OF'er cause we cant really have 6 OF'ers

Celtic AL
12-09-2013, 05:27 PM
I Really doubt a trade with Kemp happens.

Station 13
12-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Lackey or Peavy. Then we would have to trade an OF'er cause we cant really have 6 OF'ers

I'm sure Lackey is worth more than Dominic freaking Brown.

-Lavigne43-
12-09-2013, 05:30 PM
According to Bowden this morning, the Dodgers have talked to the Sox about Kemp in a deal with the pieces being WMB and a pitching prospect.

Bowden is always wrong, but if the package was WMB + a pitching spec not named Owens and significant money in the deal, that would be hard to say no to.

-Lavigne43-
12-09-2013, 05:38 PM

It's not hard to imagine a 25 year old with a high hitting ceiling getting better after his first full season in the big leagues. Nava was horrible in 2012 in the 2nd half, his first full season. I don't know his value since I have not given him any thought until today, but it's something that should be looked into.

j-bay
12-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Jim Bowden

@JimBowdenESPNxm

John Farrell shot down the Matt Kemp rumors with us SiriusXM

Of course he is going to shoot it down.

BostonBoy
12-09-2013, 05:50 PM

Not sure who they'd want out of our prospects. They have 2 top SS prospects in Roman Quinn and J.P. Crawford, a host of pitchers, and a few OFs in their top 20. I'd see if they would go for Dempster/Peavy + Betts, but I'm unsure of whether or not that would get it done.

j-bay
12-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 11s
Dodgers currently in discussions with four teams on Kemp/Ethier possibilities.

grandsalami
12-09-2013, 06:04 PM
JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 2m
Ned Colletti told us Matt Kemp leg is still in a boot and they are not expecting him to be 100% by Spring Training SXM

Sweet_Caroline
12-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Matt Kemp worries me especially hearing that he's in a boot and not expecting to be ready for ST. I can't imagine giving up much for him.

Celtic AL
12-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Ben is on Intentional Talk.

j-bay
12-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Gordon Edes

@GordonEdes

Kemp talks with Red Sox have not reached serious stage, and one Sox source said they're not going to

BostonBoy
12-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Matt Kemp worries me especially hearing that he's in a boot and not expecting to be ready for ST. I can't imagine giving up much for him.

Agreed. Only if we get him for pennies on the dollar at this point.

Celtic AL
12-09-2013, 06:15 PM
@injuryexpert Teams asking about Matt kemp out after seeing medicals. Not good.

https://twitter.com/injuryexpert/status/410169707892056064

-Lavigne43-
12-09-2013, 06:16 PM
I figured there was a reason they were so open to trading him.

SirHizz
12-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Agreed. Only if we get him for pennies on the dollar at this point.

Everything that is rumored would be pennies on the dollar. The 2011 version (when he was arguably the best position player in baseball...at the very least with the bat) of Kemp is off limits, especially when you see what contracts are handed out to Ellsbury and Cano.

My opinion is that he will never reach the 8 WAR plateau again. His other (healthy) years were: 3.1, 5.0 and 3.2 - I think something in between is very possible, though. And that's good enough if the Dodgers are also eating 30m of the deal.

Edit: Well, obviously not when he's damaged goods.

BostonSports96
12-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Already posted

BostonBoy
12-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Everything that is rumored would be pennies on the dollar. The 2011 version (when he was arguably the best position player in baseball...at the very least with the bat) of Kemp is off limits, especially when you see what contracts are handed out to Ellsbury and Cano.

My opinion is that he will never reach the 8 WAR plateau again. His other (healthy) years were: 3.1, 5.0 and 3.2 - I think something in between is very possible, though. And that's good enough if the Dodgers are also eating 30m of the deal.

Edit: Well, obviously not when he's damaged goods.

I'd like to stay as far away from Kemp as possible if a number of teams are dropping after seeing his medicals.

A little off topic from the Red Sox concerns, but Roy Halladay is headed to retirement. Glad to see him go out with the Blue Jays and go out at the time he's going out. He could have signed some place and put up another terrible year, but he realized it was time. Great pitcher.

Walligans
12-09-2013, 06:56 PM
Kemp is reportedly still in a walking boot and will be questionable for Spring Training. That should end all interest in him.

grandsalami
12-09-2013, 07:01 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/4478/carlos-marmol?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Celtic AL
12-09-2013, 07:13 PM
@JonHeymanCBS 8m
Mike Napoli got a limited no-trade clause in his $32M, 2-yr #redsox deal

BostonBoy
12-09-2013, 07:18 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/4478/carlos-marmol?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Confused at why we're looking at Marmol. I know there's no such thing as too much pitching, but we have too much pitching...

Nomar
12-09-2013, 11:48 PM
The thing about Kemp is that his power would matter more than anything, and that's in question, he's already 29 and has a long term contract. If it was a package around someone like Mookie for him, fine, but I think people's interest with him is coming mostly from his name more than what he would actually bring to the club.

I'm glad the speculation with him is done.

Lackeyfan41
12-10-2013, 02:18 AM
Kemp is reportedly still in a walking boot and will be questionable for Spring Training. That should end all interest in him.

Or add interest if that means the Dodgers are more likely to trade him for less. We would have him for 6 years, if he misses the first 2 months that really does not matter...

bagwell368
12-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Or add interest if that means the Dodgers are more likely to trade him for less. We would have him for 6 years, if he misses the first 2 months that really does not matter...

Given we are defense of a WS, and we'd have to source or keep someone decent to play LF until he's ready - and then do something with the other player (best case) it's an annoying issue for the short term.

If he has nagging problems into the future that continue his poor fielding and much slowed base running and maybe affect his power then he might be a $10M player (or less). If he misses a lot of time, it's worse than that.

At this point LAD can still bring up the kid, and deal off Ethier, and if Kemp comes back strong - deal him then. If Ethier was a RHH, I'd be interested in him if he was a $13M per player, but as a LHH he doesn't fit too well. Ciao.

Question: Does this mean the proto-GM as SABR heads will stop trying to convince us on Kemp, etc. and go back to la la land?

MiamiBoy77
12-10-2013, 12:00 PM
so lets say we dont get Kemp, other than Stanton what are our options (realistically) for a power hitting LF if we want one.

jtchilln
12-10-2013, 12:03 PM
so lets say we dont get Kemp, other than Stanton what are our options (realistically) for a power hitting LF if we want one.

I personally don't think it happens. Sounds like Sox are ok with a Nava/Gomes split there in LF.

A name I've heard recently is Franklin Guetierez (sp) as someone they bring in as insurance for Bradley.

Bo Sox Fan
12-10-2013, 12:06 PM
^ Jason Bay lol. Actually never mind he signed in Japan.

We'll have to find the RHH power bat in-house and just buy Johnny Gomes some lighter shoes to run around center. Good Lord.

Rajai Davis is off the board.

gcoll
12-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Hopefully Will Middlebrooks bounces back and provides an additional power threat from the right side. But, with how bad he looks on pitches down and away - not confident in that happening. Hopeful, but not confident.

bagwell368
12-10-2013, 12:16 PM

Werth
Choo
Cuddyer
Ethier
Cespedes
Gordon

I left out the obvious unlikely guys such as Trout, Holliday, etc. Some are FA's, most have 1+ years left on their deals.

IMO either you stay with what you have for '14, or you go for broke and get a real high end guy.

We are exposed at CF, 3B, and possibly SS with young hitters. If we could deal away a $10M+ SP we could afford Drew, who could cover SS/3B along with WMB and XB in some rotation. It also makes WMB tradeable at the deadline if Cecchini is ready to go.

I think Franklin G. might be our RHH back-up CF, which makes sense since he'll be cheaper than the two guys I was thinking about over him.

bagwell368
12-10-2013, 12:18 PM
^ Jason Bay lol. Actually never mind he signed in Japan.

We'll have to find the RHH power bat in-house and just buy Johnny Gomes some lighter shoes to run around center. Good Lord.

Rajai Davis is off the board.

No way Gomes plays 1 inning at CF in '14. There are still RHH back-up CF's available - or they can use SV for 30 games in CF if they have to.

gcoll
12-10-2013, 12:24 PM
No way Gomes plays 1 inning at CF in '14. There are still RHH back-up CF's available - or they can use SV for 30 games in CF if they have to.

With SV in center - who is in right against lefties?

I think the best bet is to platoon Nava + Gomes in left, and take the potential hit with Jackie Bradley Jr. against lefties.

With how well a lot of our righties hit lefties, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

bagwell368
12-10-2013, 12:37 PM
With SV in center - who is in right against lefties?

The roster isn't done. We almost for sure will get a 5th OF that's also a RHH that plays CF. At the moment? Nava. He's better against LHH than JBJ at this point.

I think the best bet is to platoon Nava + Gomes in left, and take the potential hit with Jackie Bradley Jr. against lefties.

Not me. The kid is going to need at least 10, maybe 15 games off in '14. You make sure that's against all LHS, than he's in at least a partial platoon, and you might keep his confidence up, because he's going to get worked hard since this line-up is tough. Coaches and pitchers always zero in on "easy outs" - or at least easier ones to make sure there is at least one out facing the top of the order or the end of an inning. He's going to need some protection from that pressure/abuse.

With how well a lot of our righties hit lefties, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Our LHH hit RHP pretty damn well too.

JohnEGill
12-10-2013, 12:51 PM
I keep hearing Trumbo to Arizona, I would love to see him in LF here. Is he not a god fit? I'm surprised we are not in on a young power hitting LF like that. I also wouldn't mind Franklin Gutierrez as a 5th OF'er just weary of guys that cannot stay healthy. The only guy I would hate to see here that I have been hearing is Kemp I pray that does not happen. Also wouldn't mind Espinosa from Washington for SS if we could get him for cheap.........

win red sox
12-10-2013, 01:16 PM
I keep hearing Trumbo to Arizona, I would love to see him in LF here. Is he not a god fit? I'm surprised we are not in on a young power hitting LF like that. I also wouldn't mind Franklin Gutierrez as a 5th OF'er just weary of guys that cannot stay healthy. The only guy I would hate to see here that I have been hearing is Kemp I pray that does not happen. Also wouldn't mind Espinosa from Washington for SS if we could get him for cheap.........

I'm hearing Eaton to CWS, Trumbo to Az, and Santiago and Skaggs to LAA. If I was Ben I would see if I could get the same package for WMB. Try to get Drew on a 1 year Contract, and then package some pitching prospects for Gonzales or Stanton.

MiamiBoy77
12-10-2013, 01:44 PM
What would it take to get Cespedes??? I think with Papi as his mentor and this locker room atmosphere he could hit 40-50 HR over the monster.

JohnEGill
12-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Stanton is THE GUY I want here but I don't see that happening, this year anyways. I would think WMB and a spec would get them in on Trumbo any other time but they just traded for Freese. LAA are weak at Catcher and SP so maybe a Lavarnway and Dempster or a lesser SP spec would get it done. I wouldn't mind Drew back for cheap $ and platoon WMB, Drew and Bogarts at the 2 positions.

JohnEGill
12-10-2013, 02:00 PM
QUOTE]What would it take to get Cespedes??? I think with Papi as his mentor and this locker room atmosphere he could hit 40-50 HR over the monster. [/QUOTE]

I don't see them trading Cespedes right now.[

bagwell368
12-10-2013, 02:21 PM
What would it take to get Cespedes??? I think with Papi as his mentor and this locker room atmosphere he could hit 40-50 HR over the monster.

The problem with him is that he has poor plate zone control. It's been used against him after his fast start. I'd pay a discount price and his GM would not take it, so he's probably got 0% chance of coming.

bagwell368
12-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Stanton is THE GUY I want here but I don't see that happening, this year anyways. I would think WMB and a spec would get them in on Trumbo any other time but they just traded for Freese. LAA are weak at Catcher and SP so maybe a Lavarnway and Dempster or a lesser SP spec would get it done. I wouldn't mind Drew back for cheap $ and platoon WMB, Drew and Bogarts at the 2 positions.

WMB > Trumbo

They are similar hitters, but WMB is 18 months younger, and plays a more critical defensive position than Trumbo (although Trumbo is a better 1B and LF than WMB is a 3B). WMB is also not a FA until '19 and Trumbo is in '17. No thanks.

JohnEGill
12-10-2013, 02:48 PM
Preview

Trumbo is far and away a better offensive player than Middlebrooks, not going to compare the defense as they are 2 different positions. Trumbo's first 3 full seasons are avg/hr/rbi: .254/29/87, .268/32/95 & .234/34/100 he has improved every year except his avg which fell this year from last. Middlebrooks was in and out of the lineup and even sent to AA he struggled so badly. I'd take my chances with Trumbo in LF and Xander at 3B and Drew at SS rather than WMB at 3B, Xander at SS and Nava or Gomes in LF.

Bo Sox Fan
12-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Preview

Trumbo is far and away a better offensive player than Middlebrooks, not going to compare the defense as they are 2 different positions. Trumbo's first 3 full seasons are avg/hr/rbi: .254/29/87, .268/32/95 & .234/34/100 he has improved every year except his avg which fell this year from last. Middlebrooks was in and out of the lineup and even sent to AA he struggled so badly. I'd take my chances with Trumbo in LF and Xander at 3B and Drew at SS rather than WMB at 3B, Xander at SS and Nava or Gomes in LF.

There is no place for Trumbo with Gomes/Nava in left and now Napoli stapled back in at first.

Stephen Drew is a much bigger need.

bagwell368
12-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Preview

Why are you using RBI's or BA for anything?

Try OBP & SLG & OPS & OPS+ & wOBA all correlate with productivity much more than BA. Also RBI's are a function of who is on base.

Trumbo OBP: .299 (that's rancid) SLG .469 (that's decent, but '13 was lower than '11 or '12)
WMB OBP: .294 (crappy) SLG .462

So, how are they that different? Oh yeah, WMB has two more years of control and he's 21 months younger than Trumbo.

BTW, you won't have any chance to use Trumbo anywhere as he was dealt (and man was that a bad deal).

bagwell368
12-10-2013, 03:17 PM
There is no place for Trumbo with Gomes/Nava in left and now Napoli stapled back in at first.

Stephen Drew is a much bigger need.

That too.

JohnEGill
12-10-2013, 03:36 PM
I would play Gomes/Trumbo in LF, Bradley Jr./Victorino in CF and Nava/Victorino/Carp in RF so plenty of room for him. I use HR and RBI because generally when a team scores more runs they tend to win the game and guys who got on base with nobody to knock them in don't count on the scoreboard. To me age doesn't matter when the younger player is less talented. IMO Bogarts at SS and a little pop in our lineup (outfield) is our biggest need.

Bo Sox Fan
12-10-2013, 03:49 PM
I would play Gomes/Trumbo in LF, Bradley Jr./Victorino in CF and Nava/Victorino/Carp in RF so plenty of room for him. I use HR and RBI because generally when a team scores more runs they tend to win the game and guys who got on base with nobody to knock them in don't count on the scoreboard. To me age doesn't matter when the younger player is less talented. IMO Bogarts at SS and a little pop in our lineup (outfield) is our biggest need.

I'm not sure if you watch baseball at all but Trumbo is on his way to Arizona.

And if for some fairytail reason he ended up here in another lifetime, I'd much rather have Gomes/Nava >>> Trumbo because they would find a way to get on base via walk/base hit when Trumbo would most likely find a way to strike out.

bagwell368
12-10-2013, 03:54 PM

Hunh? 6 OF'ers? That isn't happening - unless you count Nava or Carp as getting games at 1B.

Just a friendly warning, you are going to get broiled here for using BA and RBI's. If you use RBI's you better explain how many are being produced per PA and in clutch situations so there is some value added to the stat.

Players who work counts and get on base knock out starters earlier, that's very important. It's also not the fault of a guy getting on that he wasn't driven in. BTW why no respect for runs but big respect for RBI's - can't have one w/o the other.

Trumbo gets an edge over WMB due to hitting in a poor hitters park, but not by much. - EDIT

So nothing more at SS & 3B?

More pop in the OF? Nava was easily a more productive hitter than Trumbo last year. SV was a much more productive player and so was Ells. BTW, make sure you adjust PA's to make it fair in Nava's case. You overvalue power and RBI to an almost absurd degree.

ruckus16969
12-10-2013, 03:58 PM

I'd absolutely love Trumbo in LF until Ortiz leaves then slide him over to DH. Cheaper than Kemp or Stanton

JohnEGill
12-10-2013, 04:02 PM
First off I was posting "why didnt the sox get in on Trumbo" so the fact that there is now a pending deal which has not been announced by anyone especially when some of the names involved have to clear the rule 5 draft first really has nothing to do with my post. Do YOU watch baseball? Gomes better than Trumbo bwahahahaha I cant even take you seriously now. The strikeout comment you obviously didn't check....Gomes a K every 3.5 AB's and Trumbo is a K every 3.4 AB's...big difference!! lol

Nomar
12-10-2013, 04:03 PM
I'd absolutely love Trumbo in LF until Ortiz leaves then slide him over to DH. Cheaper than Kemp or Stanton

Trying to figure out what's attractive about a .750 OPS with poor fielding in LF, let alone DH. The guy is a below average hitter for 1B and LF. I don't see the appeal in Trumbo.

I tried finding things to like about Trumbo, but he isn't better on the road, and he couldn't touch righties last year.

JohnEGill
12-10-2013, 04:07 PM
I am looking at what the sox have for a roster and they need power, it is not overrated when you don't have any. Lets see if Nava stays healthy a whole year and his age as age seemed important a few posts ago. Sox have Ortiz and Napoli as middle of the order guys and that's not enough, especially when Ortiz production is due to fall off a cliff soon. Gomes is what he is - not an everyday player. We need a solid LF no doubt and let Bogart take SS. In my opinion WMB is GARBAGE unload him asap!!!

BostonSports96
12-10-2013, 04:08 PM
First off I was posting "why didnt the sox get in on Trumbo" so the fact that there is now a pending deal which has not been announced by anyone especially when some of the names involved have to clear the rule 5 draft first really has nothing to do with my post. Do YOU watch baseball? Gomes better than Trumbo bwahahahaha I cant even take you seriously now. The strikeout comment you obviously didn't check....Gomes a K every 3.5 AB's and Trumbo is a K every 3.4 AB's...big difference!! lol

But Trumbo is a full-time player, Gomes is a platoon player. And a Nava/Gomes platoon had a combined 2.8 WAR last year, compared to a 2.5 WAR for Trumbo. Therefore the Nava/Gomes platoon > Trumbo.

And check MLBTR.com, they announced the deal there.

JohnEGill
12-10-2013, 04:10 PM
IMO I still think the Sox will get Franklin Gutierrez and call it a day. I can live with that and hope if they are contending they trade from their surplus of pitching (if they still have it - seems to always be injuries there) for a bat in season. The only names mentioned that would bum me out are Kemp and Choo (depending on $)

Bo Sox Fan
12-10-2013, 04:13 PM

Yah I guess you could say I watch baseball.

I even watched this years post season and seen Johnny Gomes hit a 3 run shot against a Detroit Tigers team we had no business beating to put us over the top in the clutch when we needed him the most...

BostonSports96
12-10-2013, 04:13 PM
I am looking at what the sox have for a roster and they need power, it is not overrated when you don't have any. Lets see if Nava stays healthy a whole year and his age as age seemed important a few posts ago. Sox have Ortiz and Napoli as middle of the order guys and that's not enough, especially when Ortiz production is due to fall off a cliff soon. Gomes is what he is - not an everyday player. We need a solid LF no doubt and let Bogart take SS. In my opinion WMB is GARBAGE unload him asap!!!

Sox have the same exact roster that won the WS last season with Pierzynski replacing Salty (generally the same offensive player trading less BBs for less Ks), Bogaerts replacing Drew (potentially better offensive player) and JBJ replacing Ells (not losing much power, but losing OBP and speed). I don't see why we NEED power. WMB COULD potentially become a Trumbo-like player so I don't see why getting Trumbo would've made sense.

JohnEGill
12-10-2013, 04:14 PM
But Trumbo is a full-time player, Gomes is a platoon player. And a Nava/Gomes platoon had a combined 2.8 WAR last year, compared to a 2.5 WAR for Trumbo. Therefore the Nava/Gomes platoon > Trumbo.

And check MLBTR.com, they announced the deal there.

Those numbers are close enough to call it even just like the K/AB I posted and I'll take an everyday guy over a platoon any day!!

JohnEGill
12-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Yah I guess you could say I watch baseball.

I even watched this years post season and seen Johnny Gomes hit a 3 run shot against a Detroit Tigers team we had no business beating to put us over the top in the clutch when we needed him the most...

Ya I watched it too. Gomes is clutch, that's why he comes off the bench in the right moment.

bagwell368
12-10-2013, 04:16 PM

He said Gomes/Nava not Gomes > Trumbo.

in 2013 vs RHP Nava was: .322/.411/.484
in 2013 vs LHP Gomes was: 236/.347/.447

As a pair in LF last year they crushed Trumbo in '13 or any year of his career - with ease. Not sure what you are going on about....

bagwell368
12-10-2013, 04:18 PM

We need an upgrade at LF and at this Trumbo is anything but that. Stanton is a whole other matter.

BostonSports96
Those numbers are close enough to call it even just like the K/AB I posted and I'll take an everyday guy over a platoon any day!!

Why? Why would you want an everyday player when it sacrifices 0.3 WAR and the ability to have them split time and be effective vs both LHP and RHP?

Trumbo can't hit RHP. Why would you want him as an everyday player?

Melo15
Come on guys when you have an opportunity to give up talented prospects in order to pick up a guy who has a .294 OBP and .747 OPS with poor fielding ability you have to look into it. I mean, home runs, guys. Home. Runs.

Don't forget the RBIs.

JohnEGill
12-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Sox have the same exact roster that won the WS last season with Pierzynski replacing Salty (generally the same offensive player trading less BBs for less Ks), Bogaerts replacing Drew (potentially better offensive player) and JBJ replacing Ells (not losing much power, but losing OBP and speed). I don't see why we NEED power. WMB COULD potentially become a Trumbo-like player so I don't see why getting Trumbo would've made sense.

I feel like Trumbo is already doing it. I have always valued now and proven talent over potential. I don't think the same roster gets it done this year. I agree 100% AJ is better than Salty, Xander gives us more offense than Drew and JBJ is equal to Ells (glad he left). I liked Trumbo because he could play first and Nap could DH if Ortiz falters but it doesn't hafta be him geez Id love Stanton but I feel like they wont move him yet

bagwell368
12-10-2013, 04:20 PM

But he's an every day guy with a declining OBP%.

bagwell368
12-10-2013, 04:22 PM
I feel like Trumbo is already doing it. I have always valued now and proven talent over potential. I don't think the same roster gets it done this year. I agree 100% AJ is better than Salty, Xander gives us more offense than Drew and JBJ is equal to Ells (glad he left). I liked Trumbo because he could play first and Nap could DH if Ortiz falters but it doesn't hafta be him geez Id love Stanton but I feel like they wont move him yet

JBJ is anything but equal to Ellsbury. That's ridiculous. You just said you believe in the now, well as of now JBJ has done jack in MLB.

Also Drew is a better defender than XB.

AJP is more likely to be hurt than Salty - but I don't like Salty.

SoxPatsCeltsBs
12-10-2013, 04:25 PM
[/QUOTE]

I feel like Trumbo is already doing it. I have always valued now and proven talent over potential. I don't think the same roster gets it done this year. I agree 100% AJ is better than Salty, Xander gives us more offense than Drew and JBJ is equal to Ells (glad he left). I liked Trumbo because he could play first and Nap could DH if Ortiz falters but it doesn't hafta be him geez Id love Stanton but I feel like they wont move him yet[/QUOTE] JBJ is nowhere near equal to Ellsbury....

Bo Sox Fan
12-10-2013, 04:30 PM

JP Arencibia is a 27 year old catcher that averages 20+ home runs a year and you would think that would be a scorching hot commodity but look what happened to him? They couldn't even land a pale of double bubble gum for him because he has absolutely no skill set aside from his power.

Anyways moving on, Trumbo and his power have landed in Arizona.

Sweet_Caroline
12-10-2013, 04:38 PM
We should trade for Mike Trout. He should cost less than Trumbo considering he had less RBI and HRs than Trumbo. Andrew Miller and Brock Holt! should get it done.

Melo15
12-10-2013, 04:46 PM
We should trade for Mike Trout. He should cost less than Trumbo considering he had less RBI and HRs than Trumbo. Andrew Miller and Brock Holt! should get it done.

How dare you discuss giving up the man, the myth, the legend, Brock Holt. Have you no shame?

BCpatsox18
12-10-2013, 04:58 PM

What you aren't understanding is that WMB and Trumbo are basically the same player, except WMB is younger, has a better chance of improving and changing his low OBP, has more years of team control, and plays the more valuable position to the Red Sox considering they already have SV, nava, Gomes, carp, and JBJ in the outfield and Nap at first. I wouldn't trade WMB straight up for Trumbo let alone with other prospects involved

Nomar
12-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Come on guys when you have an opportunity to give up talented prospects in order to pick up a guy who has a .294 OBP and .747 OPS with poor fielding ability you have to look into it. I mean, home runs, guys. Home. Runs.

Don't forget the RBIs.

Hi melo

Soxfan85
12-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Arizona Diamondbacks ✔ @Dbacks

OFFICIAL: #Dbacks acquire Mark Trumbo and two players to be named later for Adam Eaton and Tyler Skaggs in trade with Angels and White Sox.
:sigh:

AI
12-10-2013, 06:13 PM
:sigh:

Liked that trade for the Angels. Santiago and Skaggs was a nice get.

-Lavigne43-
12-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Don't even get me started on how some people overrate Trumbo so badly. Thank god he was traded so we don't have to see him brought up in some bad idea, and maybe WMB gets overvalued if he pulls off a ~.260/.300/.450 season.

Celtic AL
12-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Mark Trumbo = Mark Reynolds

yeah no thanx. i would have been ticked if we traded some of are specs for Trumbo. To be fair im fine with the lineup and Ben's offseaon plan.

celticsman2009
12-10-2013, 07:53 PM
With Eaton in fold, #chisox will be fielding trade inquiries on de aza. per Jon Heyman

Thoughts

ruckus16969
12-10-2013, 07:55 PM

JBJ is nowhere near the player Ells is and probably never will me. That said Im glad he left also for that kind of money.

Although I do agree we should have pushed for Trumbo. I bet Webster could have got it done.

RedSoxtober
12-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Preview

.250/.299/.469, 33HR, 100RBI, 164K
.254/.294/.462, 31HR, 99RBI, 161K

Please tell me which 162 game average belongs to Trumbo and which belongs to Middlebrooks. (Hint: they're arranged alphabetically by first name).

ciaban
12-10-2013, 08:35 PM
JBJ is nowhere near the player Ells is and probably never will me. That said Im glad he left also for that kind of money.

Although I do agree we should have pushed for Trumbo. I bet Webster could have got it done.

unlikely.

BostonBoy
12-10-2013, 08:49 PM
.250/.299/.469, 33HR, 100RBI, 164K
.254/.294/.462, 31HR, 99RBI, 161K

Please tell me which 162 game average belongs to Trumbo and which belongs to Middlebrooks. (Hint: they're arranged alphabetically by first name).

Phenomenal post. Thankfully people will get off the Trumbo idea after the trade. Terrific trade for the Angels I might add.

I know Ben is normally a pretty patient GM, but I don't here too much chatter coming from the twitterverse on the Red Sox making any moves. I have a feeling it's going to be a "boring" for most of the common fans with maybe a small move on the way, but assuming we sign someone to platoon with JBJr, I actually like our chances this year. Don't think you need anything major unless you're getting a decent deal.

grandsalami
12-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 13m
#Tigers, #RedSox, #Mariners have all been in touch with #Dodgers about Kemp this week, sources tell me and @jonmorosi.

Walligans
12-10-2013, 09:55 PM

It's way too early to tell. JBJ may not ever have the speed that Ellsbury has, but he has a much better arm than Ellsbury ever will and has the potential to be the better defensive player. And Bradley has a much more advance plate approach and some developing power (too early to tell if it's real or not) that add some intrigue to the mix. Between the two, JBJ has the better minor league numbers and they were both drafted out of college at the same age and then graduated to the majors at age 23.

JBJ - .297/.404/.471
Ellsbury - .313/.390/.426

AI
12-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Ellsbury was more of an athlete, very raw with elite speed. While JBJ is more advanced, not a blazer but he gets excellent reads on the ball, perfect routes, cannon for an arm, smart base-running and strong baseball instincts.

Walligans
12-10-2013, 11:51 PM
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 4m
#redsox have determined matt kemp isn't a fit at this time. mariners, rangers, & via @jonmorosi tigers also talked kemp.

Celtic AL
12-11-2013, 01:10 PM
@bradfo 3h
Source: Red Sox were in on Rajai Davis. Makes sense. Would be challenge regarding excess of outfielders http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/12/11/stephen-drews-market-still-mystery-at-winter-meetings/ …

bagwell368
12-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Olney (EEI right now) says LAD would move Kemp for 1 decent spec, and eat a bunch of money; same from Ethier. Ethier is seen as the earlier move.

bagwell368
12-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Drew's market drying up quickly per CSN piece posted on PSD and Olney.

Drew for a year with a Sox option for 2nd year (or $1M buyout) would be great for the Sox.

gcoll
12-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Olney (EEI right now) says LAD would move Kemp for 1 decent spec, and eat a bunch of money; same from Ethier. Ethier is seen as the earlier move.

Kemp at that low of a price is a huge red flag.

bagwell368
12-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Kemp at that low of a price is a huge red flag.

2 ankle surgeries and a bum shoulder - you bet.

Bo Sox Fan
12-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Regarding our rotation... I would be very interested in a Justin Masterson reunion with an extension tagged to the end of a trade. Assuming we make no trades, we lose Dempster and Peavy (dare I say Lester, but doubt it) after '14, and Lackey after '15. Instead of relying on Webster to fill a void, I'd rather flip him with others to bring in a proven horse to fill out the future of the rotation...

2015 and beyond
Lester
Buchholz
Masterson
Doubront
prospect

What do you think it would take bring him in? He is apparently looking for a 5 year $75 extension which is a great price for adequate starting pitchers these days, and he's a nice replacement for Lackey.

bagwell368
12-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Regarding our rotation... I would be very interested in a Justin Masterson reunion with an extension tagged to the end of a trade. Assuming we make no trades, we lose Dempster and Peavy (dare I say Lester, but doubt it) after '14, and Lackey after '15. Instead of relying on Webster to fill a void, I'd rather flip him with others to bring in a proven horse to fill out the future of the rotation...

2015 and beyond
Lester
Buchholz
Masterson
Doubront
prospect

What do you think it would take bring him in? He is apparently looking for a 5 year $75 extension which is a great price for adequate starting pitchers these days, and he's a nice replacement for Lackey.

Masterson is adding a lot of what we already have - namely a #2.5-4 SP - at a very stiff extension number. He also led the AL in HBP in '13, which is interesting.

Also I don't know why you look at Webster as ahead of the other specs starting in '16. In two years Webster will be behind at least 3 of our spec SP's (counting Workman too). I hope we can deal Webster before he's exposed.

poprocksncoke
12-11-2013, 03:06 PM

Jayson Stark says Dodgers have told Stewart they have no plans of trading Kemp.

https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/410841309042065408

bagwell368
12-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Jayson Stark says Dodgers have told Stewart they have no plans of trading Kemp.

https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/410841309042065408

Intend or not, not happening until he proves some level of continuing health along with his playing acumen. Too bad really, dynamic player at his best.

-Lavigne43-
12-12-2013, 07:03 PM
This was the worst winter meetings I can remember. Everything happened the week before.

RedSoxtober
12-13-2013, 02:22 PM
^^ Really, I think NYY/McCann was what set it all off. That deal kicked loose the catching log jam and got the frenzy going as the dominoes fell.