Position players ~ $60.725 mil
Rotation ~ $63.7 mil
Bullpen ~ $19.755 mil
Minor League financials ~ $7.5 mil
Dodger money for Gonzalez~ $3.9
Insurance/Benefits ~ $11 mil

Total Spending $166.58 mil

-MOVES-

Red Sox sign FA SP Ubaldo Jiminez to a 3 year $27.5 million deal with vesting option of $12.5 milion for '17 that will vest if Jiminez pitches more than 200 innings per year. This will only strengthen the depth we have at SP, depth we will rely upon after my next 2 moves.

Red Sox trade Jake Peavy, Bryce Brentz, Franklin Morales and cash ($3.75 mil) to the Kansas City Royals for LF/3B Alex Gordon and OF Lorenzo Cain. With this move KC shores up their rotation and can add another LHP to their already bolstered bullpen, while BRS acquire an upgrade at LF or even 3B adding flexibility to the roster, and a decent RHH OF who can play any of the 3 spots but could be a platoon to Bradley Jr.

Red Sox trade John Lackey, Ryan Lavarnway, Mike Carp, Mookie Betts and Drake Britton to the Los Angeles Dodgers for CF Matt Kemp and IF Dee Gordon. This move could be another win-win Dodger/Red Sox deal; The Dodgers free up money and an OF spot for Pederson, and we can take a shot on a guy who probably just had a career low year. I propose the Dodgers pay $17 mil off Kemp's deal - $7 mil in 2014, none in 2015, then $2.5 mil per year until his deal runs out in 2019. This deal allows the Dodgers for a spending year in 2015 where Lackey will be pitching for them for only the league minimum, and allow the Red Sox some money for this year to sign one more player of moderate value to us.

2014 adjusted Red Sox roster

Lineup vs RHP
1. Dustin Pedroia, 2B
2. Daniel Nava, 1B
3. Matt Kemp, LF
4. David Ortiz, DH
5. Alex Gordon 3B
6. A.J. Pierzynski, C
7. Shane Victorino, RF
8. Xander Bogaerts, SS
9. Jackie Bradley, Jr. CF

Lineup vs LHP
1. Shane Victorino, RF
2. Dustin Pedroia, 2B
3. Matt Kemp, CF
4. David Ortiz, DH
5. Alex Gordon, 3B
6. Xander Bogaerts, SS
7. Jonny Gomes, LF
8. Will Middlebrooks, 1B
9. David Ross, C

Bench
Jonny Gomes, OF
David Ross, C
Will Middlebrooks, CI
Dee Gordon, MI
Lorenzo Cain, OF

Rotation

1. Jon Lester
2. Clay Buchholz
3. Ubaldo Jiminez
4. Ryan Dempster
5. Felix Doubront

Bullpen

CL- Koji Uehara
SU- Junichi Tazawa
SU- Burke Badenhop
SU- Edward Mujica
SU/LHS- Andrew Miller
MR- Craig Breslow

Summation of 25 man roster player salaries comes out to be $152,395,000 with the organizational spending reaching $178.545 million.

I thought it would be interesting to see what the Sox roster could look like with Kemp AND Gordon on it, while also having to give up 2 quality starters. With more than 3 very good pitching prospects and some solid seasons from Bogaerts and Bradley Jr. we're at the worst playoff bound going forward. I hope you enjoyed my off-season sim, it was fun!

Walligans
12-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Seems reasonable. I could make a few quibbles about the likeliness of a 200 IP a year vesting option or the need for Lorenzo Cain but overall I think this was a good effort.

BostonBoy
12-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Overall, nice SIM.

Lackeyfan41
12-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Don't think KC would do that trade. Gordon has a ton of value.

Also, too much for Kemp. If you swapped players to make the trades more balanced, both trades could work.

I like the Ubaldo signing a lot, it doesn't look like he has any market right now...

And Alex Gordon does not play 3B.... Gordon would be in LF and Kemp in CF, pushing JBJ to the bench.

bagwell368
12-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Red Sox sign FA SP Ubaldo Jiminez to a 3 year $27.5 million deal with vesting option of $12.5 milion for '17 that will vest if Jiminez pitches more than 200 innings per year. This will only strengthen the depth we have at SP, depth we will rely upon after my next 2 moves.

Ubaldo has lost 5 MPH off his average FB since 2009. Ubaldo hasn't pitched over 188 innings since 2010. He makes me nervous, but it might work.

Red Sox trade Jake Peavy, Bryce Brentz, Franklin Morales and cash ($3.75 mil) to the Kansas City Royals for LF/3B Alex Gordon and OF Lorenzo Cain. With this move KC shores up their rotation and can add another LHP to their already bolstered bullpen, while BRS acquire an upgrade at LF or even 3B adding flexibility to the roster, and a decent RHH OF who can play any of the 3 spots but could be a platoon to Bradley Jr.

Gordon hasn't played a game at 3B since 2010 (10) and he wasn't that good at it when he did it. KC sees itself as a serious contender, these isn't near enough here since Gordon is under control through '16. Way short.

Red Sox trade John Lackey, Ryan Lavarnway, Mike Carp, Mookie Betts and Drake Britton to the Los Angeles Dodgers for CF Matt Kemp and IF Dee Gordon. This move could be another win-win Dodger/Red Sox deal; The Dodgers free up money and an OF spot for Pederson, and we can take a shot on a guy who probably just had a career low year. I propose the Dodgers pay $17 mil off Kemp's deal - $7 mil in 2014, none in 2015, then $2.5 mil per year until his deal runs out in 2019. This deal allows the Dodgers for a spending year in 2015 where Lackey will be pitching for them for only the league minimum, and allow the Red Sox some money for this year to sign one more player of moderate value to us.

This deal is closer. but LAD has a 40 man roster issue. A three way featuring Lackey and getting LAD the INF/C they crave would be a better bet IMO.

Lineup vs RHP
1. Dustin Pedroia, 2B
2. Daniel Nava, 1B
3. Matt Kemp, LF
4. David Ortiz, DH
5. Alex Gordon 3B
6. A.J. Pierzynski, C
7. Shane Victorino, RF
8. Xander Bogaerts, SS
9. Jackie Bradley, Jr. CF

Pedroia hates batting lead-off and the stats back him up. AJP batting sixth seems high.

Walligans
12-09-2013, 12:10 AM
They got the 25-man roster down to less than 27 players. That's better than some of the sims have done.

theGhost-isGone
12-09-2013, 01:39 AM
Don't think KC would do that trade. Gordon has a ton of value.

Also, too much for Kemp. If you swapped players to make the trades more balanced, both trades could work.

I like the Ubaldo signing a lot, it doesn't look like he has any market right now...

And Alex Gordon does not play 3B.... Gordon would be in LF and Kemp in CF, pushing JBJ to the bench.

Thanks for the input, I agree Ubaldo could be a good short-term signing if his market doesn't see an upturn come the winter meetings. I agree my package to KC looks a bit light, I'm sure they would rather prefer Lackey over Peavy. I think Brentz might be enough for them to consider a move like this if they were the team that landed Beltran, which is where I had him going when I wrote this sim.

As for Gordon, if he could play 3B for 80-100 games I'm sure he'd also see time in LF if Kemp/Victorino get hurt, I think we could live with that or send Bradley down for one more season and be a pretty equal team whichever route we took. As for Cain, he'd be more OF insurance in case Victorino and Kemp were both hurt for an extended period of time. This was before we signed Napoli and I considered Nava/Middlebrooks the platoon of 2014 for us, so we would have needed one more OF in my opinion.

Gordon hasn't played a game at 3B since 2010 (10) and he wasn't that good at it when he did it. KC sees itself as a serious contender, these isn't near enough here since Gordon is under control through '16. Way short.

To acquire Cain and Gordon together, if no other team was bidding against us we might be able to get the convo started with the package at hand. I think it would be more feasible if they had landed Beltran, unless Gordon was to be used at 1B. That's the other thing I like about Gordon, he has played at 3 positions we could use an upgrade at (prior to the Napoli signing) at the ML level, and it would allow us some flexibility with our plans for Middlebrooks.

This deal is closer. but LAD has a 40 man roster issue. A three way featuring Lackey and getting LAD the INF/C they crave would be a better bet IMO.

I didn't know they were deep enough to be having 40m roster issues, I figure they'd be interested in Betts as depth for a poor position in their organization, maybe Lavarnway too but they'd probably be looking for someone with more upside at Catcher.

Pedroia hates batting lead-off and the stats back him up. AJP batting sixth seems high.

I wish Pedey would lead off for us, I think Nava hitting second would be a good thing for us. I guess Pedroia could hit 3rd and lead off with Victorino... All in all, thanks for the input.

Thank you everybody for your input, being my first SIM it was a lot of fun! I'm looking forward to the winter meetings and the rest of the off-season with great anticipation.

bagwell368
12-09-2013, 07:32 AM
They got the 25-man roster down to less than 27 players. That's better than some of the sims have done.

Cute commentary, why not expand on it? Or maybe you should address the Sims you do have a problem with in these cases since that's where they belong.

goshhhjosh
12-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Overall, a decent job bud. However, you forgot to include what STEAMER has to say about every player on the roster. ;)

I've noticed that there's been an influx of douchebags in the Red Sox forum.

TragicallyHip
12-09-2013, 09:55 AM
My initial thought was that Gordon isn't really a 3rd baseman and second, I think that trade package to acquire him is just a hair light.

Overall, it's pretty reasonable. Nice work.