PDA

View Full Version : Stein: Sixers possibly in lead for Asik

mightybosstone
12-08-2013, 03:46 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/656/latest-from-the-asik-trade-front

Latest on the Asik trade front
By Marc Stein

Pinpointing a front-runner in the Omer Asik trade sweepstakes is still tricky at this juncture.

It's tricky even with the Houston Rockets, as reported here Friday, aggressively trying to find a trade partner for Asik within the next 10 days.

Yet there are a few things we can say about the current state of the Asik trade market:

1. Keep your eye on Philadelphia. Front-runner would be overstating it, but the notion that the Sixers are a viable destination for Asik is increasingly making the rounds. And that certainly makes sense given (A) Philly's front office is run by a certified Asik fan in former Rockets exec Sam Hinkie and (B) Philly has a frontcourt player to send back to Houston in Thaddeus Young, whose skill set can click with Dwight Howard's, albeit not as well as seemingly unattainable dream target Ryan Anderson; and (C) there really isn't an Asik for Philly to draft with the high pick it's likely to snag in the 2014 lottery.

2. Can't imagine this is an absolute stance if Houston is really after the best trade it can find this month, but I'm told those rumbles you've heard about the Rockets preferring to ship Asik to the Eastern Conference are indeed true. For all of his offensive shortcomings, Asik is precisely the sort of defensive center who can really bother Howard one-on-one. Better, then, to send him somewhere Dwight would have to face the Turk as infrequently as possible. Atlanta and Milwaukee are thus two more teams to monitor, with the Rockets undoubtedly drawn to Paul Millsap and his cap-friendly contract -- though the reality is you can say the same about a ton of teams -- and what has been described to me as the strong possibility that the Bucks are about to get active on the trade front in the wake of such a poor start.

3. My Grantland pals Bill Simmons and Zach Lowe recently had a compelling podcast discussion offering all sorts of reasons why the better-than-expected Portland Trail Blazers might be moved to try to upgrade from Robin Lopez to Asik at center by offering Lopez and another quality asset in exchange for Dwight's disgruntled backup. All indications at this point, though, suggest that Portland is thrilled with Lopez's impact and not planning to make a run at Asik. Houston is similarly lukewarm on the idea.
From previous reports, it sounds like the Rockets are likely to deal him by Dec. 19. Philadelphia would make sense for a number of reasons, and Thad Young would be an ideal fit for the Rockets and Dwight Howard.

So where does everyone see Asik ending up? Who do you think is the best fit next to Howard? And what kind of impact would a Thaddeus Young or Paul Millsap have on this Rockets team and the Western Conference?

LAKobeBryant
12-08-2013, 03:48 PM
sixes were going to tank but seeing how the team is playing they trying to strengthen the roster for playoffs

JNA17
12-08-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm confused. Where does it say the Sixers want or are interested in Asik?

mightybosstone
12-08-2013, 03:59 PM
I'm confused. Where does it say the Sixers want or are interested in Asik?

If anybody was interested in Asik right now, it would be Philly. Sam Hinkie loves the guy. There were reports from CBS over the summer that Philly was interested in Asik right after the Rockets got Dwight Howard. But Morey refused to deal him at the time.

NoahH
12-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Atlanta wont trade Millsap for Asik, but ive heard rumors about Thad Young for Asik too. I guess it would obviously help Houston since they're playing well without Asik even getting minutes. Theyd be adding Young for free essentially

bholly
12-08-2013, 05:47 PM
I'd be pretty surprised. He doesn't seem to fit at all with what Hinkie is doing, and especially given the Sixers already have Noel. I obviously can't rule it out entirely, but this would be a super surprising move that would be in direct contrast to everything Hinkie has done so far.
We've been hearing this every now and then since Houston signed Dwight, and the strongly prevailing belief among people following the team is that it's driven mostly by the Hinkie-is-from-Houston storyline than anything else. Admittedly the Aldemir/White trade didn't really help with that.

sixes were going to tank but seeing how the team is playing they trying to strengthen the roster for playoffs

looool. Not even close. The Sixers beat two good teams at the start of the season to go 3-0 and are 4-14 since then, with the main question being when Hinkie is going to pull the trigger on a Thad/Hawes/Turner trade to pick up more future assets and make them worse. Anyone who has heard Hinkie speak even for just a few minutes, or has followed the team even the slightest, knows that they're not thinking playoffs. And if they were, trading Thad wouldn't be how they'd go about it.

2-ONE-5
12-08-2013, 06:03 PM
there is no way in hell we trade for Asik. there is no need for fit for him here.

Tony_Starks
12-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Wouldn't do it if I were the Sixers but if Houston can get Young for Asik it's a good deal for them. He seems like he'll be a good fit. Forget about Milsap, that ain't happening.....

beasted86
12-08-2013, 06:21 PM
And who plays backup C for Howard? Terrence Jones? Greg Smith? On a supposedly contending team? I don't think so.

mightybosstone
12-08-2013, 06:54 PM
And who plays backup C for Howard? Terrence Jones? Greg Smith? On a supposedly contending team? I don't think so.

You're really underrating Greg Smith. The guy was an exceptional backup last season, and the only reason he hasn't been getting minutes to start this year is because he's hurt. Even if Smith weren't here, getting a backup C to pay 10-15 minutes a game shouldn't be that difficult.

mightybosstone
12-08-2013, 06:58 PM
I'd be pretty surprised. He doesn't seem to fit at all with what Hinkie is doing, and especially given the Sixers already have Noel. I obviously can't rule it out entirely, but this would be a super surprising move that would be in direct contrast to everything Hinkie has done so far.
We've been hearing this every now and then since Houston signed Dwight, and the strongly prevailing belief among people following the team is that it's driven mostly by the Hinkie-is-from-Houston storyline than anything else. Admittedly the Aldemir/White trade didn't really help with that.

I understand this logic, but I also don't entirely agree with it. Noel might not play at all this season, and the Sixers have no clue at this point what they've got in him. Couple that with the fact that Hawes is a free agent after this year, and their front court has a million question marks right now. Asik would go a long way to solidifying that team defensively. And even if Noel comes in and proves he can play center at a higher level next year, Asik immediately provides a solid expiring contract.

2-ONE-5
12-08-2013, 07:02 PM
we dont care about our front court for the rest of this year and when hawes leaves it instantly improves. Asik is overrated to begin with.

mightybosstone
12-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Sean Highkin ‏@highkin 36m
The idea of an Asik-Thad Young swap is intriguing. Thad fits well in Houston and having Asik next year buys Philly time to develop Nerlens.
This USA Today reporter makes a great point.

IndyRealist
12-08-2013, 07:17 PM

Once playoffs roll around, I suspect Dwight would play around 40mpg. Greg Smith would be just fine for 8mpg. I mean, the Pacers are going with Ian Mahimni who's terrible at pretty much everything but fouling people.

I don't really see it for Philly. If they are looking to blow it up, young player and draft picks would be the way to go.

DR_1
12-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Atlanta wont trade Millsap for Asik, but ive heard rumors about Thad Young for Asik too. I guess it would obviously help Houston since they're playing well without Asik even getting minutes. Theyd be adding Young for free essentially

I'd trade Milisap for Asik if I'm Atlanta. An Asik-Horford frontcourt? Sign me up.

Nighthawk
12-08-2013, 11:57 PM
Thad Young would help Houston nicely. Stretch 4, athletic, good defender. Asik for Young sounds like a fair trade to me.

beasted86
12-09-2013, 01:29 AM
You're really underrating Greg Smith. The guy was an exceptional backup last season, and the only reason he hasn't been getting minutes to start this year is because he's hurt. Even if Smith weren't here, getting a backup C to pay 10-15 minutes a game shouldn't be that difficult.

Its not going to be 10-15 minutes when Howard gets in foul trouble. Greg Smith playing 20-22 minutes in some playoff games = not good.

And BTW, I threw out this trade idea about 3-4 weeks ago but it included Hawes and the Rockets sending Jones + a pick. Thad alone is a bad trade for the Rockets for the reason I mentioned.

koreancabbage
12-09-2013, 01:40 AM
keep Asik. they will need big man depth. and Asik is as good as they come.

Keep developing Terrence Jones if I were houston. he's a monster at the 4 that can hit the open jump shot, 3 pointer and do all the other intangible stuff like block shots, rebound, play defense. and doesn't really need the ball.

mightybosstone
12-09-2013, 01:55 AM
Its not going to be 10-15 minutes when Howard gets in foul trouble. Greg Smith playing 20-22 minutes in some playoff games = not good.
The dude averaged 6 and 5 in 16 minutes per game last season with stellar advanced stats. He can handle the bulk of the backup 5 minutes in a pinch. But if Asik gets dealt, I have faith Morey could find a serviceable backup through a trade if he needed to. The guy has acquired a ton of assets and has a ton of upcoming picks. I could see him swinging a second rounder to a team with a veteran big man wasting away on a cellar dweller.

And BTW, I threw out this trade idea about 3-4 weeks ago but it included Hawes and the Rockets sending Jones + a pick. Thad alone is a bad trade for the Rockets for the reason I mentioned.
But Hawes is likely a 1-year rental, because his contract is up after this season, and it would make no sense for Morey to offer big money to a guy like Hawes, who would likely only get backup minutes on this team. Also, I don't like that deal because Jones is locked in for another two years, will be far cheaper than Hawes and possibly has more upside than Hawes. So Houston would be dealing Thad for Asik (a fair trade), then give up a young stud and a first rounder for a guy who would struggle to find minutes here and then bolt after the season was over. That makes no sense.

mightybosstone
12-09-2013, 01:58 AM
keep Asik. they will need big man depth. and Asik is as good as they come.

Keep developing Terrence Jones if I were houston. he's a monster at the 4 that can hit the open jump shot, 3 pointer and do all the other intangible stuff like block shots, rebound, play defense. and doesn't really need the ball.

I like this plan, as well. But it's possible that Asik doesn't want to be in Houston anymore and has specifically asked Morey to be dealt. Considering he's got another year left on his contract, I don't think that's an unfair request, especially if Morey can get good value for him.

Personally, I think Jones has crazy potential, and I think he could be every bit as good as Thad and Millsap if given some time. But if Asik is going to be dealt anyway, and the Rockets can get a player that will help them win now, why not make the deal? More than likely, I think Morey has requested a first round pick for Asik, because I think he also would like to see Jones develop. But if teams aren't biting, then he may have to go to Plan B.

Carbine15
12-09-2013, 03:03 AM
This is a joke. The 76ers dont need or want Asik. These reporters must think the 76ers are going to be the Rockets dumping grounds when they dont want somebody.

ThaDubs
12-09-2013, 03:04 AM
I don't see why they would want Asik when they have TY and Spencer Hawes.

beasted86
12-09-2013, 03:18 AM
The dude averaged 6 and 5 in 16 minutes per game last season with stellar advanced stats. He can handle the bulk of the backup 5 minutes in a pinch. But if Asik gets dealt, I have faith Morey could find a serviceable backup through a trade if he needed to. The guy has acquired a ton of assets and has a ton of upcoming picks. I could see him swinging a second rounder to a team with a veteran big man wasting away on a cellar dweller.

But Hawes is likely a 1-year rental, because his contract is up after this season, and it would make no sense for Morey to offer big money to a guy like Hawes, who would likely only get backup minutes on this team. Also, I don't like that deal because Jones is locked in for another two years, will be far cheaper than Hawes and possibly has more upside than Hawes. So Houston would be dealing Thad for Asik (a fair trade), then give up a young stud and a first rounder for a guy who would struggle to find minutes here and then bolt after the season was over. That makes no sense.

Hawes is a great fit both next to Howard because of his jumpshooting and as his direct backup. In case of foul trouble or possibly injury to Howard you have a guy who is way better than Smith and a decent starter around the league. Rockets should be able to offer him up to $7M a year without getting an out of control payroll and it not being one of these terrible contracts that come back to haunt you. That prices him way above mid-level teams. You'd just have to gamble some idiot GM of a team with cap space doesn't want to pay him double digits... but given that his numbers would decline once joining a Rockets type team, he wouldn't be as "sexy" to that idiot GM though.

2-ONE-5
12-09-2013, 10:55 AM

Greg Smith is a better defender than Hawes. Hawes is a joke on the defensive end.

Heediot
12-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Sixers weakness is interior defense and probably outside shooting. Asik helps with the interior defense for those who think they cannot use him.

2-ONE-5
12-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Sixers weakness is interior defense and probably outside shooting. Asik helps with the interior defense for those who think they cannot use him.

our perimeter defense is our weakness and we dont want Asik while we are rebuilding and have Noel going forward. Asik is not needed or wanted here.

Heediot
12-09-2013, 11:11 AM
our perimeter defense is our weakness and we dont want Asik while we are rebuilding and have Noel going forward. Asik is not needed or wanted here.

I get where some fans are coming from, some have a tank mentality perspective hoping the front office of their team has the same. I'm not sure what the Sixers want to do, but he can help their defense overall that's all I know.

2-ONE-5
12-09-2013, 11:28 AM
his help isnt going to be helpful bcuz our D will still let up 110 a night regardless. Asik is a piece that should be added to help a contender fill a need.

c.c.
12-09-2013, 11:52 AM
This is a joke. The 76ers dont need or want Asik. These reporters must think the 76ers are going to be the Rockets dumping grounds when they dont want somebody.

Royce White?

2-ONE-5
12-09-2013, 12:03 PM
you guys paid his salary for us...

Carbine15
12-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Royce White?

See the post below yours genius. And we got a over seas prospect. You didnt just dump anything here.

todu82
12-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Yeah, at this point the Sixers should be trading away veteran players for draft picks not the opposite.

Chronz
12-09-2013, 01:27 PM
his help isnt going to be helpful bcuz our D will still let up 110 a night regardless. Asik is a piece that should be added to help a contender fill a need.

Doubtful. Very doubtful. He wont make enough of a difference to make you guys a good team, but thats the point. Right now you want assets that can make an impact in the future.

2-ONE-5
12-09-2013, 01:40 PM
its highly unlikely he can play next to Noel (or in our fast paced O) since neither can shoot for their life at the moment. We also are waiting for Moultrie to return probably in another month or so to see what hes got after his good run late last year.

Chronz
12-09-2013, 01:46 PM
its highly unlikely he can play next to Noel (or in our fast paced O) since neither can shoot for their life at the moment. We also are waiting for Moultrie to return probably in another month or so to see what hes got after his good run late last year.

Yea but its good to have someone who allows you to develop and protect the frailer Noel from all of the interior pounding.

beasted86
12-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Greg Smith is a better defender than Hawes. Hawes is a joke on the defensive end.

But he can block shots and is a 7 footer. Greg Smith doesn't and is really like 6'9".

I like Greg Smith as a decent backup, but if we are supposedly talking about the Rockets as a contending team he can't be your only guy once Howard inevitably gets in foul trouble. He's simply a ruff and tumble type hustle guy. Hawes is a guy who you can run limited post offense through and is a space creator with his jumpshot for Harden and Lin in the lane, and in my trade scenario, Thad to get in the post.

Carbine15
12-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Yea but its good to have someone who allows you to develop and protect the frailer Noel from all of the interior pounding.

The 76ers have 4 draft pick next year, if we want to draft a big guy who can bang im sure we will OR we could use some of plenty cap room to bring in a defensive big man in the off season for cheaper to bang. However theres only one big man worth guarding in the NBA. So i dont think we need to worry about Noel being out manned. Even if somebody was to back him down hed still contest or block the shot attempt with his elite instincts and skills.

Asik and noel playing together would give us like zero offensive scoring. That would put a large burden on the other 3 guys to score a ton.

Like 215 said were still waiting to see what brett brown brings out of our 6'11 PF arnett moultrie who has talent and Solid frame to body up.

FOBolous
12-09-2013, 02:19 PM

because Asik struggled so much in Houston's fast paced offense last season right?

The 76ers have 4 draft pick next year, if we want to draft a big guy who can bang im sure we will OR we could use some of plenty cap room to bring in a defensive big man in the off season for cheaper to bang. However theres only one big man worth guarding in the NBA. So i dont think we need to worry about Noel being out manned. Even if somebody was to back him down hed still contest or block the shot attempt with his elite instincts and skills.

Asik and noel playing together would give us like zero offensive scoring. That would put a large burden on the other 3 guys to score a ton.

Like 215 said were still waiting to see what brett brown brings out of our 6'11 PF arnett moultrie who has talent and Solid frame to body up.

defensive Cs do a lot more than guard the opposing team's C. The protect the paint and challenge whoever enters it. A good defensive C makes it that much harder for slashing guards to score.

2-ONE-5
12-09-2013, 02:44 PM

Well we are expecting Noel to have put on some size by the time he comes back and Orton is a very big body we can use for another year as a backup.

But he can block shots and is a 7 footer. Greg Smith doesn't and is really like 6'9".

I like Greg Smith as a decent backup, but if we are supposedly talking about the Rockets as a contending team he can't be your only guy once Howard inevitably gets in foul trouble. He's simply a ruff and tumble type hustle guy. Hawes is a guy who you can run limited post offense through and is a space creator with his jumpshot for Harden and Lin in the lane, and in my trade scenario, Thad to get in the post.

Hawes is far from a shot blocker, dude is a SG stuck in a 7 foot body. He is always running right to the 3pt line on the break and doesnt have post moves and on D no one, literally no one is afraid to take it up on him bcuz he is clueless in the paint.

Carbine15
12-09-2013, 03:11 PM
because Asik struggled so much in Houston's fast paced offense last season right?

defensive Cs do a lot more than guard the opposing team's C. The protect the paint and challenge whoever enters it. A good defensive C makes it that much harder for slashing guards to score.

Sorry but Noel protects the paint better than any prospect ive seen in a long long time. Asik is not needed here to protect the paint and rim.

amak316
12-09-2013, 03:41 PM
I am very very high on Asik and even I don't think it makes sense at all for the 76ers. I think its just Phillys GM doing his old boss and mentor a favor to drive up Asik's price for some other team.

bholly
12-09-2013, 04:31 PM

The Sixers are two players into a complete long-term rebuild, and one of those guys isn't playing until next year. Pretty sure the FO aren't too worried about what the current roster's supposed weaknesses are.

Saddletramp
12-09-2013, 05:14 PM

Nobody thinks that with what Hinkie has done so far.

See the post below yours genius. And we got a over seas prospect. You didnt just dump anything here.

I think that's the point C.C. was trying to make (that's what I took from it, anyway). Furken A might be a steal in a few years for what will account for practically nothing (what are the perimeters of the "draft considerations?). Royce's contract was paid for and he coulda panned out (although it was unlikely). No risk, very high possible reward.

Hinkie's not going to trade a Iguodala, Harkless and Vucevic for a busted up and heartless Bynum and the insiders know it.

bholly
12-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Nobody thinks that with what Hinkie has done so far.

I think that's the point C.C. was trying to make (that's what I took from it, anyway). Furken A might be a steal in a few years for what will account for practically nothing (what are the perimeters of the "draft considerations?). Royce's contract was paid for and he coulda panned out (although it was unlikely). No risk, very high possible reward.

Hinkie's not going to trade a Iguodala, Harkless and Vucevic for a busted up and heartless Bynum and the insiders know it.

Philadelphia's 2014 second round pick protected from 31-55 and nothing after that. So unless we get a top 5 record this year it's nothing. So it's nothing.

sixer04fan
12-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Sixers fans DO NOT want Asik. For so many reasons. Yuck.

Saddletramp
12-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Philadelphia's 2014 second round pick protected from 31-55 and nothing after that. So unless we get a top 5 record this year it's nothing. So it's nothing.

(This isn't directed at you, bholly) So The Sixers got Furken A and a Royce White preseason tryout for nothing. Why on earth would anyone think that the Sixers were a dumping ground for the Rockets? The original post that I quoted was inaccurate and C.C. was attacked for wondering why that trade was considered a bad trade from the Sixers point of view. Comprehension.

mightybosstone
12-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Hawes is a great fit both next to Howard because of his jumpshooting and as his direct backup. In case of foul trouble or possibly injury to Howard you have a guy who is way better than Smith and a decent starter around the league. Rockets should be able to offer him up to $7M a year without getting an out of control payroll and it not being one of these terrible contracts that come back to haunt you. That prices him way above mid-level teams. You'd just have to gamble some idiot GM of a team with cap space doesn't want to pay him double digits... but given that his numbers would decline once joining a Rockets type team, he wouldn't be as "sexy" to that idiot GM though.

Is Hawes a great fit next to Howard? Maybe on the offense end it makes sense, but defensivel you're asking a slow 7-footer to come out on the perimeter and guard quick PFs who can take him off the dribble. I don't buy that as a good fit. He'd be a great backup 5 option, but then Houston would have to pay a ton of money to a backup 5 when they already have a decent backup on the team. It just doesn't make a ton of sense, and I'm not sure Hawes is a great fit with this current Houston team.

Carbine15
12-09-2013, 07:20 PM
(This isn't directed at you, bholly) So The Sixers got Furken A and a Royce White preseason tryout for nothing. Why on earth would anyone think that the Sixers were a dumping ground for the Rockets? The original post that I quoted was inaccurate and C.C. was attacked for wondering why that trade was considered a bad trade from the Sixers point of view. Comprehension.
Who said the sixers were the rockets dumping ground right now? I was just letting it be known that we are not going to be that as far as this report goes, dumping asik in our lap because they are tired of him for nothing but Asik when we dont even want Asik as a part of our youth movement. That would be dumping there dont wants in our laps.

Carbine15
12-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Now if they want to dump us Asik and terrence jones/draft pick for thad and hawes i would do that.

Saddletramp
12-10-2013, 02:23 AM
Heaven forbid I try to edit a post and then it gets lost, then randomly shows up again.

Saddletramp
12-10-2013, 02:32 AM
Who said the sixers were the rockets dumping ground right now?
You implied that reporters are just assuming Philadelphia would just roll over and allow the Rockets to do whatever trade they want when that couldn't be further from the truth. Hinkie will work well for you guys and he sees value and a solid addition in trading for Asik for reasons already explained. It's not like Asik is Andris freaking Biedrins.

This is what was said:

Asik is a more valuable type player than Thad Young. Not too many 7 foot defensive/rebounding anchors in the league and who knows how Nerlens will be after that injury (although I/all assume he'll be the C of the future there).

Royce White?
CC meant that since that's the only trade between the two teams this must have been the reason for the

These reporters must think the 76ers are going to be the Rockets dumping grounds when they dont want somebody. quote and he was wondering how that trade constituted that reaction.

you guys paid his salary for us...
So how was this a

These reporters must think the 76ers are going to be the Rockets dumping grounds when they dont want somebody. situation? It was a no lose situation for the Sixers. How was that deal reflecting a "dumping grounds" reaction/quote?

So you're contradicting yourself. Bra-****ing-vo. And he wasn't arguing with you; he was just wondering what the H you were talking about.

I was just letting it be known that we are not going to be that as far as this report goes, dumping asik in our lap because they are tired of him for nothing but Asik when we dont even want Asik as a part of our youth movement. That would be dumping there dont wants in our laps.
The Rockets don't need Asik and he's grumpy. He's an asset and one that is a pretty valuable one if you want to believe it or not.

Now if they want to dump us Asik and terrence jones/draft pick for thad and hawes i would do that.

Jones has a better upside than Young or Hawes. Someone's going to overpay for Spencer Hawes next contract and I pray it's not The Rockets. Asik for Young seems about right if that's the trade that goes down. No need to give up TJones or a pick.

I know, TL;DR. I just wasted 30 minutes for something really ****ing stupid: I argued with a stranger on the Internet. I thought I was smarter than that.

beasted86
12-10-2013, 02:33 AM
Is Hawes a great fit next to Howard? Maybe on the offense end it makes sense, but defensivel you're asking a slow 7-footer to come out on the perimeter and guard quick PFs who can take him off the dribble. I don't buy that as a good fit. He'd be a great backup 5 option, but then Houston would have to pay a ton of money to a backup 5 when they already have a decent backup on the team. It just doesn't make a ton of sense, and I'm not sure Hawes is a great fit with this current Houston team.

He would clearly be the backup 5 with Thad starting at the PF. I hoped that would be clear.
But Hawes is a lot closer to a PF than Asik is. That was my point. You can play him at the 4 though and he works offensively next to Howard, and defensively he isn't so bad for limited stretches. The bulk of the 4 minutes would still go to Thad though.

Saddletramp
12-10-2013, 02:46 AM
I'm not saying Terrence Jones is better than Thad Young, but the way he's been playing lately, I'd prefer to stick with Jones. I'd personally like to see a draft pick/quality backup big for Asik.

sunsfan88
12-10-2013, 03:55 AM
Philly didn't trade Jrue Holliday so that Noel can be Asik's backup.

RollingWave
12-10-2013, 04:32 AM

I figure in short stretches Howard guarding 4s would be ok, that was how they wanted the Twin Tower to work at the start of the year, with Hawes + Howard at least offensively it'll be quite good (maybe even extremely good.) that you can probably get away with short stretches of questionable perimeter defense (and let's face it, it's not like the Rockets current perimeter D is a model of excellence even with the recent improvements.) especially when opposing 4s aren't great shooters you could just zone and dare them to shoot.

At this point fit wise Hawes probably make more sense than Young, and it does for Philly too in terms of the one they want to trade, though I also have doubts of why the Sixer want Asik, if they see Noel as a PF wouldn't Hawes make more sense? if they see him as a center... why Asik then?

But I think the logical guys Houston would like to have back, a guy that can act as a C/PF would be of high priority, and/or a wing defender. I like Greg Smith more than most folks so I'm fine if he's the backup C, but obviously it would help to have insurance.

I figure wing defender more functional than Ronnie Brewer is very easily replaceable, maybe even findable in the D-league, so it all depends. but the one guy I really hope to see Morey land would be Amir Johnson. his game is really the sort of ultimate hidden gem Morey looks for.

I can see Philly being involved, but I have a hard time seeing it as a final destination.

fredv
12-10-2013, 07:13 AM
Noel will likely start at the PF. Way to light to bang with the big's.

Asik+D-Mo+2nd round pick for Young+Turner+Hawes is my guess like ESPN has reported.

Not a fan of Hawes and Young is kind of useless with the way T-Jones has been killing it, but Turner will be a serviceable backup guard.

I'd rather the Rockets get a lock-down perimiter defender and picks for Asik though.

Swashcuff
12-10-2013, 09:12 AM

Noel isn't going to play this season and isn't figured to play more than 25 mpg next season especially at the start. It's not as if Asik is figured to be here long term. I strongly suspect this is a case of stockpiling your assets. IMO Asik is a greater asset to have than Thad Young going forward.

2-ONE-5
12-10-2013, 09:53 AM

Asik+D-Mo+2nd round pick for Young+Turner+Hawes is my guess like ESPN has reported.

Not a fan of Hawes and Young is kind of useless with the way T-Jones has been killing it, but Turner will be a serviceable backup guard.

I'd rather the Rockets get a lock-down perimiter defender and picks for Asik though.

Noel is going to play the 5 he cant play the 4. No centers bang in this league anymore anyway.

and there is no way in hell we trade all 3 of our assets to teh same team for Asik and a 2nd rounder thats pretty comical

Swashcuff
12-10-2013, 10:05 AM
Noel is going to play the 5 he cant play the 4. No centers bang in this league anymore anyway.

and there is no way in hell we trade all 3 of our assets to teh same team for Asik and a 2nd rounder thats pretty comical

Not only is the trade utterly ridiculous its not even possible given the contractual obligations.

This dude wants to trade two bench players for 3 starters. I honestly can't stand fans like that.

bleedprple&gold
12-10-2013, 11:36 AM

Not only is the trade utterly ridiculous its not even possible given the contractual obligations.

This dude wants to trade two bench players for 3 starters. I honestly can't stand fans like that.

Everybody wants to trade rape with the other team getting raped and their homer team doing the raping. Can't stand them either. Luckily this isn't nba 2k.

BenFrank
12-10-2013, 12:17 PM

Don't know why everyone wants to crucify this guy, when it was ESPN who was the the one that said Young, Turner, and Hawes for Asik.. I didn't really buy into it, because that would be a #RapeCase for the Rockets, and would have happened already if that offer was on the table

bleedprple&gold
12-10-2013, 12:44 PM

Don't know why everyone wants to crucify this guy, when it was ESPN who was the the one that said Young, Turner, and Hawes for Asik.. I didn't really buy into it, because that would be a #RapeCase for the Rockets, and would have happened already if that offer was on the table

Because it was probably the Rockets that offered it and got laughed in their face

fredv
12-10-2013, 12:50 PM

Exactly. Reading comprehension is a lost art it seems...

Cal827
12-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Because it was probably the Rockets that offered it and got laughed in their face

This. I don't see how Houston in any circumstance would turn that down, even if they were drunk and high on Highlighters.

Lin-Beverly-Brooks
Harden-Garcia
Turner-Parsons-Brewer
Young-Jones-Smith
Howard-Hawes

That looks like a problem.

sep11ie
12-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Cept Turner would not be starting over Parsons and I doubt Young would start over Jones.

sep11ie
12-10-2013, 01:45 PM
More like:

Beverly/Lin/Brooks
Harden/Turner/Garcia
Parsons/Caspri
Jones/Young
Howard/Smith

Carbine15
12-10-2013, 05:57 PM
More like not going to happen.

mightybosstone
12-10-2013, 07:16 PM
He would clearly be the backup 5 with Thad starting at the PF. I hoped that would be clear. But Hawes is a lot closer to a PF than Asik is. That was my point. You can play him at the 4 though and he works offensively next to Howard, and defensively he isn't so bad for limited stretches. The bulk of the 4 minutes would still go to Thad though.
But it doesn't make sense to acquire Hawes to be a backup 5. That puts him in the same situation that Asik is currently in, and I'm sure Morey wouldn't want to do that. Young makes sense going forward. Hawes really doesn't.

Except Noel isn't playing this year and will be a project the next couple of years anyway. Asik would be a great fill-in until Noel figures it out, and if Noel actually develops into a starter next season, Asik becomes an attractive expiring contract. The deal actually makes a lot of sense.

Noel isn't going to play this season and isn't figured to play more than 25 mpg next season especially at the start. It's not as if Asik is figured to be here long term. I strongly suspect this is a case of stockpiling your assets. IMO Asik is a greater asset to have than Thad Young going forward.
Exactly.

RollingWave
12-10-2013, 09:46 PM

Even throwing out actual value issue, this trade isn't even legal in the CBA, the Rockets with that out going package can only take about 14 m back at most. the 3 from Philly makes 21.

But it doesn't make sense to acquire Hawes to be a backup 5. That puts him in the same situation that Asik is currently in, and I'm sure Morey wouldn't want to do that. Young makes sense going forward. Hawes really doesn't.

This really depends on if you think Hawes can work for stretches with Howard, I think it should be fine for the most part since at least offensively it'll hold up. I also feel that Hawe's is less likely to get crazy offers from other teams.(relative to real value) than Evan Turner.

NBA_Starter
12-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Young could be the 4 they are looking for.

sixer04fan
12-11-2013, 03:41 AM

1) Noel is a center.

2) Can you provide a link to that "ESPN reported" rumor? Because I've been paying very close attention to the Asik/Philly report from Marc Stein and heard nothing close to that. I searched for the deal you mentioned and found nothing. Also, without double-checking, I'm pretty sure that trade is financially impossible.

3) Dear Houston, Nobody wants Asik. Another GM has already called your asking price for him "delusional" (http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/24300809/black-friday-shopping-list-top-10-trade-candidates). Please stop overcompensating for reasons why these rumors are "great deals" for the other team. It reeks of desperation. Yours truly, Everyone

fredv
12-11-2013, 05:57 AM
1) Noel is a center.

2) Can you provide a link to that "ESPN reported" rumor? Because I've been paying very close attention to the Asik/Philly report from Marc Stein and heard nothing close to that. I searched for the deal you mentioned and found nothing. Also, without double-checking, I'm pretty sure that trade is financially impossible.

3) Dear Houston, Nobody wants Asik. Another GM has already called your asking price for him "delusional" (http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/24300809/black-friday-shopping-list-top-10-trade-candidates). Please stop overcompensating for reasons why these rumors are "great deals" for the other team. It reeks of desperation. Yours truly, Everyone

http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/25258/20131209/omer-asik-trade-rumors-philadlephia-79ers-target-evan-turner-thad-young-houston-rockets-negotiations-portland-trail-blazers.htm

"ESPN details a package that could include sending Thad Young along with possibly Evan Turner and Spencer Hawes to Houston."

Asik is a beast. Defensive 7 footers who can shut down guys like Zach Randolph are a rare commodity in this league, contrary to flashy guards who put up 15 ppg. Heck, Aaron Brooks could put up 20 ppg on the garbage team that is Philly.

If it came down to me I would stay away from anyone on your team and I'd trade Asik for a defensive wing player and a backup center. The Sixers starters have inflated numbers and Thad Young wouldn't start over Jones anyway.

Noel hasn't played a minute in the NBA and nothing says he will be good. But continue living your fantasy life and you'll continue making that trip to NY every june.

warfelg
12-11-2013, 08:33 AM
Asik is a beast. Defensive 7 footers who can shut down guys like Zach Randolph are a rare commodity in this league, contrary to flashy guards who put up 15 ppg. Heck, Aaron Brooks could put up 20 ppg on the garbage team that is Philly.

If that were the case you could get much more from elsewhere for Asik than you can from the Sixers.

If it came down to me I would stay away from anyone on your team and I'd trade Asik for a defensive wing player and a backup center. The Sixers starters have inflated numbers and Thad Young wouldn't start over Jones anyway.

If you really believe that you are really underselling Thad. You are talking about a guy that never had plays called for him. Yet still managed to impact about 80% of games he was in. Thad is a professionals professional.

Noel hasn't played a minute in the NBA and nothing says he will be good. But continue living your fantasy life and you'll continue making that trip to NY every june.

Honestly, for 2-3 years we want to make that trip in June. And Noel's floor seems to be Theo Ratliff or Sammy D. Ceiling of Tyson Chandler. Most teams would like to have that to pair with MCW, a potential top-5 pick and another lottery pick.

bholly
12-11-2013, 10:42 AM
http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/25258/20131209/omer-asik-trade-rumors-philadlephia-79ers-target-evan-turner-thad-young-houston-rockets-negotiations-portland-trail-blazers.htm

Some unknown person writing on her blog that ESPN said something doesn't mean that ESPN actually said it (not to mention the fact that even if ESPN said it that wouldn't stop it from being ridiculous). The fact that she calls them the '79ers' and thinks that trades can't happen until Dec 15 doesn't help her credibility, either.

Asik is a beast, and many Sixers fans wouldn't mind having him, but that doesn't stop that package from being ridiculous. Nobody credible is reporting anything close to that. I'm not sure why that makes you feel the need to get all aggressive and abusive towards our team, but whatever.

sixer04fan
12-11-2013, 07:16 PM

Hahahahaha. Wow.

1) That link is not credible in the slightest. Nice try though. Actually, it was a pretty poor try. Show me where ESPN reported it, as you claimed they did. Not a link to some girl saying that ESPN said it.

2) You still failed to address that the trade is financially impossible, unless there's something in the CBA that I'm unaware of. Houston is taking on $22 million in annual salary while giving up $9 million and going over the luxury tax threshold in the process.

3) Where did I ever denounce Asik as a player? I never said he was bad. I know he's an outstanding defensive presence. I said we don't want him. He's the kind of guy who might add some unwanted wins to the team this year and will only get in the way of Noel's development next year. If we're going to trade our three vets, we want expiring contracts and draft picks. And I'm obviously speaking for Philly fans, not the organization, as I am in fact just a fan, and not an employee of the team.

4) Noel IS a center. Not a power forward. Not anymore than Asik is, for example. That is all I said. Your response about Noel possibly not being good is completely irrelevant. Please tell me where I said he's going to be some all star player next year? What fantasy am I living in?

5) Way to go wayyy out of your way to trash my team, when I never said a thing about my team or yours. Good job being super defensive there and once again bringing up something completely irrelevant to our conversation.

Carbine15
12-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Lol. Asik for turner hawes and thad.