View Full Version : Kobe names his own starting 5

jerellh528
12-08-2013, 07:29 AM
Magic
Kobe
Bird
Russel
Abdul-jabbar

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-05/lakers-bryant-passes-over-jordan-for-his-dream-pick-up-team.html

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-08-2013, 08:20 AM
This team would kill!

PurpleLynch
12-08-2013, 09:00 AM
Prepare yourself to an upcoming war on this thread :laugh:

barreleffact
12-08-2013, 11:27 AM
uhh...bad kobe. (rubs his nose in it) Don't do it again!

It's not that it's a horrible list. It's he neglected jordan and chose 2 players from his only true rival franchise. Plus there are a myriad of better players to choose over Russell.

mightybosstone
12-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Normally I would make a big deal out of this if it was anybody else, but I don't see how you can blame Kobe for wanting to play on his own dream team. He possibly could have put Jordan at the 3, but he was going traditional positional roles.

I'm a little more surprised that there isn't a single other player from his own era in his top five. You think he'd give credit to Duncan, Shaq or Lebron, but he completely left them out. That kind of bothers me more than anything, because it kind of feels like the guy is putting himself on a pedestal above other players of the era. Then again, I'm not going to overreact over this. His all-time list is still legit, and he clearly wanted to play up the significance of the Showtime Lakers and the Celtics team that made their rival great. Nothing wrong with that.

Norieaga
12-08-2013, 11:52 AM
ANY list that doesn't contain Jordan is wrong.

ManRam
12-08-2013, 12:05 PM
We're all entitled to our opinions...but sometimes opinions are just wrong. :shrug:

Well, if it's his dream team or whatever, than it's not even "wrong". Because then he's not necessary merely putting the best players there...just the ones he dreams about playing with or whatever. He's just fielding a hypothetical pick-up team. There's nothing to dig deeper in. I am confused why MJ isn't there considering how obsessed he is with him. You make make it work in a pick up game.

barreleffact
12-08-2013, 12:07 PM

This isn't true at all. And I do feel Jordan is the best player ever, but he isn't the de facto greatest and play styles matter as well.

jerellh528
12-08-2013, 12:08 PM

Says you, this is just his own personal dream team, and it was in response to Jordan's. Ofcourse he is going to choose himself over someone who plays his position.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-08-2013, 12:15 PM

so he would leave himself out lol :laugh2:

jerellh528
12-08-2013, 12:20 PM
We're all entitled to our opinions...but sometimes opinions are just wrong. :shrug:

Well, if it's his dream team or whatever, than it's not even "wrong". Because then he's not necessary merely putting the best players there...just the ones he dreams about playing with or whatever. He's just fielding a hypothetical pick-up team. There's nothing to dig deeper in. I am confused why MJ isn't there considering how obsessed he is with him. You make make it work in a pick up game.

He probably thinks Jordan is the best ever and he has perfected a lot of Jordan's moves, Doesn't mean he's obsessed with the guy. This list was in response to Jordan's iirc Jordan had magic, Jordan, Scottie, worthy, and Hakeem I think.

BigEric
12-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Gimme:
Lebron
Jordan
Barkely
Hakeem
Wilt.

That'd be ridiculous to watch

mjt20mik
12-08-2013, 01:26 PM
lmao no love for MJ kobe

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-08-2013, 01:38 PM

Kobe obsessed with jordan lol nice one

beliges
12-08-2013, 01:42 PM

Eh. Kobe and Jordan would equal out.

RipCity32
12-08-2013, 01:54 PM
I seriously thought this thread was going to be that he picks his starting 5 for the rest of the season. I was going to lmao at the Lakers coaching staff.

DaLakerz Rulz
12-08-2013, 02:17 PM
no lebron?!?!?!?!?!?!

LAKERMANIA
12-08-2013, 02:33 PM
This is a personal list to go against Jordan's team. There is no right or wrong, it's players he'd want to play with.

Bruno
12-08-2013, 04:36 PM
looks like a pretty rockin' team to me. floor spreading, facilitation, rebounding, defense and offensive post-play with more than one player who can hit a game winning shot. this team competes with any other team you could put together of any other starting five. Stockton-MJ-LBJ-Duncan-Wilt or Shaq? it would be competitive.

soundjunkies2
12-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Kobe obsessed with jordan lol nice one

Maybe obsessed wasn't the right word but he did completely model his whole game after Jordans.

Tony_Starks
12-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Say what you want but that team would be unstoppable. Balanced all the way around....

Mr_Jones
12-08-2013, 06:29 PM

It's not that it's a horrible list. It's he neglected jordan and chose 2 players from his only true rival franchise. Plus there are a myriad of better players to choose over Russell.

But I think there is a mutual respect between the two teams. They're far and away the best franchises in NBA history, but love to hate each other. The league is more fun when they're both contenders and challenging each other.

sammyvine
12-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Normally I would make a big deal out of this if it was anybody else, but I don't see how you can blame Kobe for wanting to play on his own dream team. He possibly could have put Jordan at the 3, but he was going traditional positional roles.

I'm a little more surprised that there isn't a single other player from his own era in his top five. You think he'd give credit to Duncan, Shaq or Lebron, but he completely left them out. That kind of bothers me more than anything, because it kind of feels like the guy is putting himself on a pedestal above other players of the era. Then again, I'm not going to overreact over this. His all-time list is still legit, and he clearly wanted to play up the significance of the Showtime Lakers and the Celtics team that made their rival great. Nothing wrong with that.

its his opinion
he is entitled to one...

AIMelo=KillaDUO
12-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Eh. Kobe and Jordan would equal out.

Lol. Slap yourself.

jerellh528
12-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Lol. Slap yourself.

Jordan is the best individual player in nba history. But prime Jordan vs prime Kobe actually essentially would most likely cancel each other out. Slight edge to Jordan based on career recognition and achievements but I don't favor either one too highly heads up, they are too similar and they both have zero flaws fundementally or skill wise. Jordan has the edge in defense but IMO Kobe has the edge with a more complete offense, of course this is all just my opinion. The only for sure thing is that they would bring out the best of eachother, but If you think Jordan would just take a big ol dump on Kobe, then maybe you're the one that needs to be doing the slapping lol.

DaLakerz Rulz
12-08-2013, 07:18 PM
Kobe > Jordan

numba1CHANGsta
12-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Sorry Kobe but Mj>Kobe :(

ThuglifeJ
12-08-2013, 08:01 PM
I love Kobe but his arrogant ******* persona can be a bit much sometimes since he's ALWAYS that guy.

Its not a huge deal, but the fact he leaves out Shaq, his 3 peat teammate and Jordan, the man greater than him, and no Duncan/ player from era sort of shows he thinks he's truly above everyone

J4KOP99
12-08-2013, 08:07 PM
That's a very good team. I personally would not pick that squad but for those of you expecting Kobe to pick MJ over himself, i'm sorry for you.

LA_Raiders
12-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Not a bad team. 3 Lakers and 2 celts. The bests teams ever

Bruno
12-08-2013, 08:48 PM
I love Kobe but his arrogant ******* persona can be a bit much sometimes since he's ALWAYS that guy.

Its not a huge deal, but the fact he leaves out Shaq, his 3 peat teammate and Jordan, the man greater than him, and no Duncan/ player from era sort of shows he thinks he's truly above everyone
i don't know if choosing Bill Russell over Tim Duncan or KAJ over Shaq proves that he thinks he's above those players. maybe he just thinks those guys are better players.

sammyvine
12-08-2013, 09:44 PM
i don't know if choosing Bill Russell over Tim Duncan or KAJ over Shaq proves that he thinks he's above those players. maybe he just thinks those guys are better players.

exactly lol

so many kobe haters

LAKERMANIA
12-08-2013, 10:04 PM

Now I remember why I don't post here anymore. I'm going to go back to Reddit now.

Bruno
12-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Now I remember why I don't post here anymore. I'm going to go back to Reddit now.

haha. whenever i feel like getting down voted into oblivion i take a visit; mostly a lurker. i don't wear a badge so i get dumped on by everyone.

barreleffact
12-08-2013, 11:30 PM
But I think there is a mutual respect between the two teams. They're far and away the best franchises in NBA history, but love to hate each other. The league is more fun when they're both contenders and challenging each other.

Exactly. Ii'm just surprised Kobe would choose any Celtic. He and Jordan are both seen as these non team up players a la Lebron, yet teaming up with your biggest rival is even worse. Even for a pick up game.

If this was a joke to get back at Jordan's team, he should have chosen Zeke and Players that Bounced MJ before his legacy was immortalized. With the team he chose, he wouldn't even be option 1. Magic would control the team, Kareem would be secon on the order and third would be Kobe. It's perplexing to me.

LAKERMANIA
12-08-2013, 11:42 PM
haha. whenever i feel like getting down voted into oblivion i take a visit; mostly a lurker. i don't wear a badge so i get dumped on by everyone.
Yeah I know what you mean, it takes getting used to, the site has its own culture and posting style and everything.

jerellh528
12-08-2013, 11:48 PM
Yeah I know what you mean, it takes getting used to, the site has its own culture and posting style and everything.

Yeah, homosexual loving, Jesus hating, far left, psudeo intellectuals. Jk.

ichitownclowni
12-08-2013, 11:54 PM
This website hates Kobe so much lol.

LeperMessiah
12-09-2013, 01:11 AM

You're right! Double Whammy!!!

JasonJohnHorn
12-09-2013, 03:01 PM

Such as?

One of the best defenders ever, and one of the best rebounders ever. And the greatest winner ever.

What more do you need hen you already have LAJ, Bird, Magic and Kobe?

SMH.

You remind me of Luke Skywalker dismissing Yoda as a Jedi because of his size and age ;-)

Ebbs
12-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Gimme:
Lebron
Jordan
Barkely
Hakeem
Wilt.

That'd be ridiculous to watch

THat team would be way to congested.

I also don't think Jordan could've played with another alpha dog. He's playing with 4 on that team.

Heatcheck
12-09-2013, 04:04 PM
I seriously thought this thread was going to be that he picks his starting 5 for the rest of the season. I was going to lmao at the Lakers coaching staff.

me too, I thought to myself, this guy really DOES run the how over there. honestly, I feel like it might've happen if Brown was still the coach.

FOBolous
12-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Jordan is the best individual player in nba history. But prime Jordan vs prime Kobe actually essentially would most likely cancel each other out. Slight edge to Jordan based on career recognition and achievements but I don't favor either one too highly heads up, they are too similar and they both have zero flaws fundementally or skill wise. Jordan has the edge in defense but IMO Kobe has the edge with a more complete offense, of course this is all just my opinion. The only for sure thing is that they would bring out the best of eachother, but If you think Jordan would just take a big ol dump on Kobe, then maybe you're the one that needs to be doing the slapping lol.

lol no. Just no. Check Jordan's efficiency and compare it to Kobe's. Jordan would take a big ok dump on Kobe.

RaiderLakersA's
12-09-2013, 05:35 PM
I like the synergy of that team. And you would never have to wonder who was bringing the killer instinct, because they are all pretty damn cutthroat.

LAKERMANIA
12-09-2013, 06:37 PM
lol no. Just no. Check Jordan's efficiency and compare it to Kobe's. Jordan would take a big ok dump on Kobe.

Efficiency or not, it's not hard to believe that a Kobe-Jordan matchup in real life would be close, even if I believe that Jordan was the better player and even though I believe Jordan would win one on one.

But the team Jordan picked vs. the team Kobe picked? I'd take Kobe's team.

Magic
MJ
Scottie Pippen
James Worthy
Olajuwan

vs

Magic
Kobe
Bird
Russel
Kareem

I'd personally pick Kobe's 5, but I think it's close. In no way do I think MJ would easily destroy Kobe.

Bishnoff
12-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Is it just me or are there too many ball-dominant players on Kobe's team (outside of Russell)?

NYKnickFanatic
12-09-2013, 08:23 PM

An opinion can't be wrong...