PDA

View Full Version : Boogie Cousins

Drummond#1
12-08-2013, 06:49 AM
He only seams to be getting better. 20/10 on 48% shooting in 30 minutes.
I think that he still has some maturing to do but is getting better. He is a lightning rod for negative press. But at least he's not beating up homeless people or popping on drug tests.

Anyway, what is his ceiling? Will a decent team form around him eventually like KGs Wolves. Or will he end up like a Zach Randolph and be appreciated towards the end of his prime after changing area codes a couple times. Please save the stupid Eddie Curry comments. This kid has heart.

PurpleLynch
12-08-2013, 09:10 AM
He's putting better numbers than Randolph at his age. Very good talent,he just need to get a better attitude.
I hope Sac will be like KG's Wolves and I think they maybe can do it with the right pieces,they already have a good pg in Thomas and a good backup pg in Vasquez. Ben McLemore needs to get better and they could have also a decent shooting guard. Do they have draft picks?

IndyRealist
12-08-2013, 11:18 AM
He has an unlimited ceiling, that's why people are enamored with him. He has the size, frame, and athleticism to be a HoF guy when it's all said and done. It's not even lack of skill that has held him back, it's all mental things like shot selection, effort, and maturity.

Statistically, he's gotten better as the season's gone on, but he's still light years behind, say, Brook Lopez (who is probably the only current viable comparison as a high volume offensive center).

Key comparisons (numbers per 48 were applicable):
TS%: Lopez 63% vs. Cousins 53.6%
Rebounding: 9.8 vs. 15.3
Turnovers: 2.4 vs. 4.8
Blocks: 3.4 vs. 2.0
Steals: 0.9 vs 2.4
Assists: 1.2 vs. 4.3
Fouls: 4.4 vs. 6.9
Points per shot taken: 1.55 vs 1.27

Cousins is better at assists, steals, and rebounding. Lopez scores at a significantly better rate, turns the ball over less, fouls less, and blocks more shots. The shooting percentages are really key here, because not only does Lopez have a huge advantage in FG% but he has a much better FT%, which is a huge factor considering how much these two get to the line.

Somehow people think I'm trolling Sacramento fans because I say Cousins isn't a top 5 center. Because I say things like TS% matter. Well, there is a statistical comparison with a top 5 center. You tell me.

YoungOne
12-08-2013, 11:39 AM
^"light years behind" is a very bolt assumption...

IndyRealist
12-08-2013, 11:57 AM
^"light years behind" is a very bolt assumption...

10% TS is the difference between Stephen Curry and Will Bynum.

Scottroberts154
12-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Brook Lopez is light years ahead of DMC? I want what your smoking pal.

ManRam
12-08-2013, 12:31 PM
He's putting better numbers than Randolph at his age. Very good talent,he just need to get a better attitude.
I hope Sac will be like KG's Wolves and I think they maybe can do it with the right pieces,they already have a good pg in Thomas and a good backup pg in Vasquez. Ben McLemore needs to get better and they could have also a decent shooting guard. Do they have draft picks?

There's no reason to think that he can't be a much better defender than ZBo too.

Cousins' ceiling has never fallen in my eyes. The potential that's always been there has, well, always been there. How much he can tap into it is the only question, and he seems to be doing a much better job this year.

He's played as good as any center with the exception probably of Brook. Defense might have Drummond ahead of him, but that's about it.

I've always felt he had "best center in the league" potential in him. Maybe not perennially, but definitely on occasion. He's a stud who just has to straighten a few things out in his head...and I'm not even talking about off the court stuff...that stuff is only a minor concern. I'm just talking about learning how to dominate on the court.

FraziersKnicks
12-08-2013, 01:01 PM
10% TS is the difference between Stephen Curry and Will Bynum.

It's also the same difference between Steph Curry and Russell Westbrook. What's your point?

SeoulBeatz
12-08-2013, 01:16 PM
It's also the same difference between Steph Curry and Russell Westbrook. What's your point?

I see him following the EXACT trajectory of Zach Randolph.

tredigs
12-08-2013, 01:18 PM

That Westbrook's struggling to regain his past years efficiency coming off the MCL surgery? It's a huge difference, and his point is that DMC doesn't score in the same league as Lopez.

Then there's that whole issue of having the potential to quit on his team and audibly ***** out teammates at any time in a game. Year 4, now. It's not growing pains, it's who he is. Playing in Sac doesn't help, but it's not an excuse.

tredigs
12-08-2013, 01:20 PM
I see him following the EXACT trajectory of Zach Randolph.

Zach had attitude issues, but it was more focused on being ultra aggressive and getting into issues with the other team way too often due to that. Totally different people. I had a talk about this exact comparison last night watching Memphis actually.

WES KOAST
12-08-2013, 01:25 PM
love dcuz xcept his attitude. homey can play but he need to channel his anger the rite way

Sactown
12-08-2013, 01:35 PM
He has an unlimited ceiling, that's why people are enamored with him. He has the size, frame, and athleticism to be a HoF guy when it's all said and done. It's not even lack of skill that has held him back, it's all mental things like shot selection, effort, and maturity.

Statistically, he's gotten better as the season's gone on, but he's still light years behind, say, Brook Lopez (who is probably the only current viable comparison as a high volume offensive center).

Key comparisons (numbers per 48 were applicable):
TS%: Lopez 63% vs. Cousins 53.6%
Rebounding: 9.8 vs. 15.3
Turnovers: 2.4 vs. 4.8
Blocks: 3.4 vs. 2.0
Steals: 0.9 vs 2.4
Assists: 1.2 vs. 4.3
Fouls: 4.4 vs. 6.9
Points per shot taken: 1.55 vs 1.27

Cousins is better at assists, steals, and rebounding. Lopez scores at a significantly better rate, turns the ball over less, fouls less, and blocks more shots. The shooting percentages are really key here, because not only does Lopez have a huge advantage in FG% but he has a much better FT%, which is a huge factor considering how much these two get to the line.

Somehow people think I'm trolling Sacramento fans because I say Cousins isn't a top 5 center. Because I say things like TS% matter. Well, there is a statistical comparison with a top 5 center. You tell me.

You're absolutely right, DMC needs to improve his efficiency. But there aren't 5 centers in the league better than DeMarcus.. That's ridiculous. While Lopez blocks more shots, DeMarcus is the better post defender, and Sacramento runs there offense through DMC more, hence the more assists and turnovers. DeMarcus needs to quit the ticky tack fouls, but clearly he's headed for stardom

The_Jamal
12-08-2013, 02:38 PM
The efficiency numbers are fine, considering IT is essentially his only help in Sacto right now and he has the highest USG% in the league.

Furymaker
12-08-2013, 03:16 PM
I'll take Cousins over Lopez , I love his offensive game , mental part will come as he gets older and surrounded by veterans .

Almighty Push
12-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Love this guy's attitude, they just need the right type of players around him. I don't think he can lead a core of young guys right now, but with veterans he will flourish.

FraziersKnicks
12-08-2013, 04:16 PM
That Westbrook's struggling to regain his past years efficiency coming off the MCL surgery? It's a huge difference, and his point is that DMC doesn't score in the same league as Lopez.

Then there's that whole issue of having the potential to quit on his team and audibly ***** out teammates at any time in a game. Year 4, now. It's not growing pains, it's who he is. Playing in Sac doesn't help, but it's not an excuse.

He is coming back from injury but his TS% is only down a couple of points from his career numbers (49.6 this year compared to 51.9 for his career), yet people wouldn't say Westbrook is light years behind Curry. Would people say LeBron is light years ahead of Durant offensively because his TS% is 8% higher this season? Of course not.

A lot of Boogie's scoring comes from multiple attempts close to the rim. He misses shots but he always seems to be in position to grab his offensive rebounds and still get the points. This affects his FG% but it's still 2 points in a possession for his team.

Lopez is a more polished offensive player for sure, but to say he's light years ahead of Cousins is silly. LaMarcus Aldridge is being touted as an MVP candidate and he scores less points per 36 at a lower TS% than Cousins, yet he is regarded as one of the most polished offensive big men in the game.

If that poster is claiming Lopez is the better center because he has a higher TS% then that's just absurd. Bring this thread up again when Lopez can average more than 6 rebounds a game as a 7 footer.

Jenceman
12-08-2013, 04:29 PM
As a Laker fan, I love Boogie.