Source: Napoli agrees with Red Sox

-Lavigne43-
12-06-2013, 10:03 PM
‏@Ken_Rosenthal 18s
Source: Napoli agrees with #RedSox. First reported: @bradfo

j-bay
12-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 25s
Source: Napoli deal with #RedSox is a multi-year deal.

-Lavigne43-
12-06-2013, 10:08 PM
@Ken_Rosenthal 31s
Source: Napoli deal with #RedSox is a multi-year deal.

It would be shocking if it wasn't

homie564
12-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Yayyy!

-Lavigne43-
12-06-2013, 10:09 PM
@MikeNapoli25 20s
The beard is coming back to Boston!!! Couldn't be happier!! #Bstrong #beards #Ilovethiscity pic.twitter.com/mb2pDxq4tL

Tragedy
12-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Can't wait to see the terms

-Lavigne43-
12-06-2013, 10:12 PM
I'm anxious about the terms. We didn't have much choice here though, only other attractive option would be a trade for a 1b

Tragedy
2 years 32 million

-Lavigne43-
‏@Ken_Rosenthal 6s
Napoli two years, $32 million with #RedSox.

Win.

xabial
12-06-2013, 10:13 PM
‏@Ken_Rosenthal 6s
Napoli two years, $32 million with #RedSox.

Win.

What a steal. This Ben Charrington guy is pretty good.

homie564
12-06-2013, 10:14 PM
God Cherrington is good at his job

Tragedy
Red Sox win again. Unreal. What a great deal. When guys like Grandy don't even play last year and get $15 over 4, we go and re-sign a guy for $16 over 2.

Ben has magic.

bagwell368
CBS:

The Red Sox and first baseman Mike Napoli have agreed to a new contract, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com has confirmed. Rob Bradford of WEEI.com first reported the deal. Terms are unknown, but he was said to be seeking three years.

Napoli, 32, hit .259/.360/.482 (129 OPS+) with 38 doubles and 23 home runs in 139 games for Boston last season. The inked him to a one-year deal worth $5 million last offseason after originally agreeing to a three-year, $39 million pact. The terms were changed after a pre-signing physical revealed a degenerative hip condition.

The Red Sox made Napoli a qualifying offer but won't receive a supplemental first round draft pick for re-signing their own player. They also tendered qualifying offers to Jacoby Ellsbury and Stephen Drew.

-Lavigne43-
I would be surprised if we didn't hear he took a discount.

-Lavigne43-
12-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Yup

@Ken_Rosenthal 27s
Source: Napoli took less to stay with #RedSox. Earlier today talks were at a critical stage. He had at least one bigger offer.

bagwell368
12-06-2013, 10:16 PM
That's about what it looked like, surprised there is not at least a 3rd year option w/ the obligitory $1M buyout.

Tragedy
12-06-2013, 10:18 PM
I would be surprised if we didn't hear he took a discount.
I have to believe he did. With the money being thrown around in FA this offseason, this is one of the best contracts given out.

So, so far we've gone out and gotten:

-Mujica at 2 years, $9.5 million
-AJ at 1 year, $9 million.
-Napoli at 2 years, $32 million.

Meanwhile guys are getting 4/60, 7/153, 5/85, and 10/240.

Sox just continue to be smart, and continue to not think irrationally about what other teams are doing. Stick to the long term plan all the whole keeping a competitive team on the field. We're back to being the model franchise.

MiamiBoy77
12-06-2013, 10:22 PM
LOVE this deal. I worked out with Napoli 7 years ago when I was rehabbing my shoulder, and he's been my favorite player ever since.

RaginRondo17
12-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Now too figure out the left side of the infield and hopefully a big bat for LF. Then its probably just depth for the BP and figure out the bench. BC has left himself with flexibility going forward.

corky831
12-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Huge signing....really happy he's coming back especially on those terms. I wouldn't mind bringing back drew and packaging wmb with a starter to get an OFer and I'd be really happy with our off season

Celtic AL
12-06-2013, 10:29 PM
big sigh of relief

glad we got this done!

Tragedy
12-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Now too figure out the left side of the infield and hopefully a big bat for LF. Then its probably just depth for the BP and figure out the bench. BC has left himself with flexibility going forward.
Depth in the pen? I think we've got more than 7 guys that could be in our bullpen in 2014.

Bench is just about set too. Gomes, Ross, Carp, and a MI - maybe Holt.

And why do we need a big bat In left? We had two real solid guys last year. Don't mess with it, especially with very few good options out there.

Same thing with the left side of the infield. I'm fine with Xander/WMB but it's either that or Drew/Xander.

I personally think the sox have very little left to work on. MI bench guy, maybe trade a SP, and maybe someone else that could platoon with JBJ.

Pedroia
12-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Sweet! I don't want to say we 'needed' him to come back but...we needed him to come back.

Lackeyfan41
12-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Cheap and short deal for Napoli.

I am kind of scared of his performance next year.. His BABIP probably won't stay at .367 and he strikes out nearly 1/3 of the time ..

That fills pretty much all of our holes, wonder what else we will do and what we have left to spend?

theGhost-isGone
12-06-2013, 10:34 PM
I have to believe he did. With the money being thrown around in FA this offseason, this is one of the best contracts given out.

Sox just continue to be smart, and continue to not think irrationally about what other teams are doing. Stick to the long term plan all the whole keeping a competitive team on the field. We're back to being the model franchise.

I could not agree more. I find it curious, however, that we're in on the Kemp discussions with his contract being what it is and at his age with his injury concerns. I put a move for him in my off-season simulation, but I still don't see it as the best thing we could do for an upgrade in LF - although I like him playing CF vs LHP and sitting JBJ for Gomes.

bruins>habs
12-06-2013, 10:35 PM
great deal!

Tragedy
12-06-2013, 10:45 PM

I could not agree more. I find it curious, however, that we're in on the Kemp discussions with his contract being what it is and at his age with his injury concerns. I put a move for him in my off-season simulation, but I still don't see it as the best thing we could do for an upgrade in LF - although I like him playing CF vs LHP and sitting JBJ for Gomes.
Agreed. I feel like if were in on Kemp then just try and get Beltran for 2 with an option. Less commitment, less dollars, and no prospects being lost.

grandsalami
12-06-2013, 10:45 PM
DFA or trade coming. 100% certain

ruckus16969
12-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Perfect. I was nervous that we may have lost him with the contract that have been handed out lately

Lackeyfan41
12-06-2013, 10:52 PM
DFA or trade coming. 100% certain

Anybody but Steven Wright. Please don't give up on him yet

RaginRondo17
12-06-2013, 10:57 PM
Depth in the pen? I think we've got more than 7 guys that could be in our bullpen in 2014.

I should of been more clear, I meant like flyer guys..bounce back canadits, spring training arms. Better?

Okay, sorry. I meant finish out the bench. Its not a lock there isn't a move involving Gomes/Carp. Holt could be in PAW too. That is at least 3 spots. Sorry I chimed in with my opinion.

And why do we need a big bat In left? We had two real solid guys last year. Don't mess with it, especially with very few good options out there.

Same thing with the left side of the infield. I'm fine with Xander/WMB but it's either that or Drew/Xander.

Because I want a big bat to protect a David Ortiz who is coming off a terrific year and we have no idea if he will reproduce. Your fine going into next season with Xander/WMB, I'm not. The same Will we sent down last season? Last I checked we didn't have Drew. So in fact we need to figure out our left side of the infield.

I personally think the sox have very little left to work on. MI bench guy, maybe trade a SP, and maybe someone else that could platoon with JBJ.

Ortiz 38.5 in April ouch..not saying he is going to fall of a cliff, but I expect a dip. And any trade could effect how we fill out our roster, I just wouldn't be surprised if we brought in a big bat for LF (I still have Shane penciled into RF and Bradley in CF). If we go into next year with Gomes/Nava as a platoon, i'd be fine with it as well. But within 1.5 years we need to add a middle off the order bat and I think that time is now.

PaudBall
12-06-2013, 11:14 PM
I love this deal, and love Mike Napoli for taking what had to be a discount to stay here. Perhaps the Red Sox are blackmailing him with some footage from his drunken night in Boston that would have him facing jail time.

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but the job BC is just incredible in light of the huge (MORONIC) contracts teams are handing out. The Mets just love making the same mistakes over and over again, and the Mariners Cano move will be a disaster. He seems like a huge diva, and when he's not getting that NY attention or putting up those huge numbers because of that park he is going to have a tantrum.

The free agency moves almost make me forget about Hanrahan, Bailey, and Melancon.

jtchilln
12-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Rob Bradford ‏@bradfo 2m
When looked like Texas might be in lead for Napoli today, large group of Red Sox players urged for front office to make push. They did.

EEasyA
12-06-2013, 11:30 PM

One Great season and we are all of a sudden a model franchise. What exactly makes us better than other teams. Let the overrating of Ben Commence.

bagwell368
12-06-2013, 11:36 PM
One Great season and we are all of a sudden a model franchise. What exactly makes us better than other teams. Let the overrating of Ben Commence.

We didn't start from even. We had a horrible manager, and a hand cuffed BC. Once LL screwed everything up and was made to leave BC alone, BC has made a number of moves that catapulted us from last place to WS winners, and so far this off season he seems to be making more great moves. Given the critical press, fan base, and a boss that loves to keep messing with the controls, BC has done a masterful job.

I've been a Sox fan since 1966 and I have never seen a better stretch than the last 13 months by a Red Sox GM. His "worst" move is probably Dempster, and that may work out yet.

PaudBall
12-06-2013, 11:38 PM

...well for one, all the reasons he stated and secondly our "One Great season" was a world series championship built on solid decision making rather than throwing a boat load of money at the problem.

Tragedy
12-06-2013, 11:40 PM

I should of been more clear, I meant like flyer guys..bounce back canadits, spring training arms. Better?

Okay, sorry. I meant finish out the bench. Its not a lock there isn't a move involving Gomes/Carp. Holt could be in PAW too. That is at least 3 spots. Sorry I chimed in with my opinion.

Because I want a big bat to protect a David Ortiz who is coming off a terrific year and we have no idea if he will reproduce. Your fine going into next season with Xander/WMB, I'm not. The same Will we sent down last season? Last I checked we didn't have Drew. So in fact we need to figure out our left side of the infield.

Ortiz 38.5 in April ouch..not saying he is going to fall of a cliff, but I expect a dip. And any trade could effect how we fill out our roster, I just wouldn't be surprised if we brought in a big bat for LF (I still have Shane penciled into RF and Bradley in CF). If we go into next year with Gomes/Nava as a platoon, i'd be fine with it as well. But within 1.5 years we need to add a middle off the order bat and I think that time is now.
We certainly need a big bat. We've been missing that since Manny/Bay. We had a shot with Holliday. Not really sure that big bat is available now. Maybe next offseason with Giancarlo, though.

EEasyA
12-06-2013, 11:42 PM
Fair points. All I'm saying is that let's not give him the Bill Belichick treatment. He is not above criticism. With that said, he has done a Great job as Gm so far.

PaudBall
12-06-2013, 11:45 PM
Well, that was a quick realignment.

bagwell368
12-06-2013, 11:47 PM
Fair points. All I'm saying is that let's not give him the Bill Belichick treatment. He is not above criticism. With that said, he has done a Great job as Gm so far.

Sort of a mixed message.

A couple of days ago you were railing on him for doing nothing. Now he has, he's done two very important things since you wrote that.

Now you ask why he's special and I told you why. I was paying close attention to Dick O'Connell and everyone since. BC is a lot like Theo, but on a shorter budget, so he has to think/create his way to the right solution - and he has.

As of now there is no reason to doubt him or criticize him. Why should he be criticized for nothing? To prove we are tough and won't let him get away with anything? Cut it out.

Go ahead, let's hear what you don't like about him - and please be specific. If you can't find anything, I'd liek to hear that too.

EEasyA
12-06-2013, 11:57 PM
I just would like for him to act a lot quicker in making moves before they dry up. I also would like for the Red Sox to be flexible in offering free agents more than three years. The Yankees just signed Carlos Berltan. What was so wrong in giving Beltran an extra year. Nice time I checked we have Dempster who is an average pitcher at best a three year deal.

Lastly, to be honest i really don't like the Napoli signing. He strikes out a lot.

PaudBall
12-07-2013, 12:07 AM
I just would like for him to act a lot quicker in making moves before they dry up. I also would like for the Red Sox to be flexible in offering free agents more than three years. The Yankees just signed Carlos Berltan. What was so wrong in giving Beltran an extra. Nice time I checked we have Dempster who is an average pitcher at best a three year deal.

Lastly, to be honest i really don't like the Napoli signing. He strikes out a lot.

I'm completely OK with passing on Beltran with that money since we already have 2 OFs who can ONLY play LF, and that would not be a contract I would be comfortable with.

Other than him, who do you think we have missed out on because BC doesn't move quick enough for you? You can't force people to sign right away, the market plays itself out and player/agents are always going to wait for a possibility of a better deal or bidding war. There has not been a single player signed, that I think we totally screwed up by not going after.

Tragedy
I just would like for him to act a lot quicker in making moves before they dry up. I also would like for the Red Sox to be flexible in offering free agents more than three years. The Yankees just signed Carlos Berltan. What was so wrong in giving Beltran an extra. Nice time I checked we have Dempster who is an average pitcher at best a three year deal.

Dempster is a 2 year deal.

And he probably is willing to go over 3 but it has to be the right guy. He's not just going to do it for anybody.

He's playing smart short term deals because were still in rebuild mode - yes, 2013 was a bridge year, yet Ben put together great short term options that allowed us to win. And he's doing more of the same for 2014, as he bides his time for Cecchini, JBJ, Owens, RDLR, Xander, Vazquez, Swihart, Barnes, Ranaudo, etc.

RaginRondo17

Because you get handicapped at the end of the deal when you are paying a premium price..for little to no production. An out is an out, anyway you shake it. I rather a strike out with the bases loaded an 0/1 outs then a ground ball for a double play. Strike outs are part of the game.

EEasyA
12-07-2013, 12:14 AM
Dempster is a 2 year deal.

And he probably is willing to go over 3 but it has to be the right guy. He's not just going to do it for anybody.

He's playing smart short term deals because were still in rebuild mode - yes, 2013 was a bridge year, yet Ben put together great short term options that allowed us to win. And he's doing more of the same for 2014, as he bides his time for Cecchini, JBJ, Owens, RDLR, Xander, Vazquez, Swihart, Barnes, Ranaudo, etc.

Hopeful our prospects are legit. Prospects like Swihart, Owens, Cecchini, Renauldo. You do make an interesting point that I never thought about. Although we won a championship last season, we are still in rebuilding mode.

-Lavigne43-
12-07-2013, 12:27 AM
If Ben did the deals EEasyA wanted he would be getting the criticism you seem to desperately want.

Celtic AL
12-07-2013, 12:35 AM
If Ben did the deals EEasyA wanted he would be getting the criticism you seem to desperately want.

x2.

otwisted
12-07-2013, 01:01 AM
Hopeful our prospects are legit. Prospects like Swihart, Owens, Cecchini, Renauldo. You do make an interesting point that I never thought about. Although we won a championship last season, we are still in rebuilding mode.

A good reason why we don't want Ben making poor decisions like signing Beltran for 3 years for a 37 year old like the Yanks.

Vincent33
12-07-2013, 04:35 AM
Outstanding. Glad to have Napoli stay with the team.

bagwell368
12-07-2013, 07:56 AM
I just would like for him to act a lot quicker in making moves before they dry up.

What have we missed so far? A ridiculously overpriced catcher, another catcher we wanted - but only for 2 years because he's an old man, our x CF who hit the jackpot but isn't worth a dime over 5/95?

This year we are destined to make deals more frequently than last year since we have more resources to deal and less money than last year. Things are not static.

I also would like for the Red Sox to be flexible in offering free agents more than three years.

Only in rare exceptions.

The Yankees just signed Carlos Berltan. What was so wrong in giving Beltran an extra year. Nice time I checked we have Dempster who is an average pitcher at best a three year deal.

Dempster is not an average pitcher when it comes to eating innings, or being able to start or relieve. He's a key albeit expensive 5th/6th SP. In case you missed it, he was the best pitcher on the staff at times early in the season.

Beltran is an old man (37 in April) who hasn't been a great base stealer since 2008, whose OBP has started to drop the past 2 years, who was once an elite fielder - but not since 2008 - he's now a liability - even in LF. Since the start of 2009 he's averaged 117 games per season. 3 years for a guy in notable decline through age 40. This is a wise investment to you? Well IMO, he might have been worth 2/30 and that's the max. Also don't forget we'd have to lose a draft pick in signing him.

Strikes out a lot? I've posted on PSD about 10 times the past year that K's are .002 more destructive than batted ball outs. It's been proven. .002 reads as "two one thousands".

EEasyA
12-07-2013, 08:57 AM
The Red Sox players should let Ben do his job and stop interfering.

MG956
12-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Not one mention of Napoli's hip condition? It was my understanding that it is a matter of when, not if, the disease stikes, and when it does that is all she wrote.

I hope there is at least some language in the contract with regard to games played.

Slaps
12-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Not one mention of Napoli's hip condition? It was my understanding that it is a matter of when, not if, the disease stikes, and when it does that is all she wrote.

I hope there is at least some language in the contract with regard to games played.I thought his physical after the season showed his hip was in better condition then his last physical. So they were not as worried this time around.

todu82
12-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Good to see Napoli was re-signed. He was a good player for us last year.

BGeer091
12-07-2013, 11:31 AM
I was torn on this at first but i'm glad he's back. One of my problems is that I fall in love with draft pics and prospects.

Napoli is a prove GG caliber 1st basemen, and middle of the order bat. What more could we want. Oh and he's a great clubhouse guy.

RedSoxtober
12-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Perhaps you forget but this is not simply one great season. Oh, I'm sure it is from your standpoint -- one great season means one season with a playoff team (that also won the WS). What you fail to deal with is that certain aspects of "great seasons" for a GM cannot be directly measured by wins and losses in a single season. The Trade, for example, took place in August 2012 and led immediately to WORSE performance on the field in September. However, the flexibility, culture shift, and prospect base improved from the second that trade was completed and set the stage for 2013. Cherrington is now in his second full offseason and doing a brilliant job (IMO) of staying consistent within a clear plan. I'd suggest that it's 2.5 GREAT seasons as a GM with attending field performance only now starting to be realized.

I just would like for him to act a lot quicker in making moves before they dry up. I also would like for the Red Sox to be flexible in offering free agents more than three years. The Yankees just signed Carlos Berltan. What was so wrong in giving Beltran an extra year. Nice time I checked we have Dempster who is an average pitcher at best a three year deal.

Well, Beltran has already shown himself to have rather terrible knees and would not fit anywhere in the 2014 OF aside from LF. What then? Displace both Nava and Gomes? And when his knees disintegrate further? Kick out Ortiz so he can DH? Swell. What I find silly about this is that you seem to be more obsessed with buying the shiniest toys available even when you've already got three and the current ones aren't broken.

The "acting quickly before the options dry up" comment makes me laugh. Why? Because the options that you insist upon are YOUR options. They may not really be options that Cherrington is considering. The Sox, for example, could be involved with Beltran only to drive up the price for NYY. I'm sure that BC is not sweating over a 40yr old Beltran fighting A-Rod, Soriano (ironic), and perhaps Teixeira for time in the DH spot in a couple years.

At the end of the day you simply ignore one important reality: player contracts are an AGREEMENT between the player and team. The agreement need not be reached logically. Cry and whine, er... criticize, all you want about failing to sign Beltran but what if Carlos has more hutzpah than Ellsbury and simply refused to cross the line to the Sox after losing the WS to them? Contract decisions are subjective like that. Failure to finalize a deal need not be the fault of the GM.

LOL again. Isn't part of the GM's job is to consider the clubhouse atmosphere? If he's on the fence about adding $1-2m/yr to the offer is it unreasonable to consider player input?

Was it wrong when Theo talked with the other field players in 2008 before they dealt with an increasingly irrational Manny Ramirez?

Not sure why you think that considering the impact on the roster, or the players expressing their preferences to that end, would be bad.

I hope there is at least some language in the contract with regard to games played.

It's not a disease but a condition. I'm not sure if the difference matters to you but it simply means that the potential for something to happen exists rather than him constantly fighting something to which he will eventually succumb. It's likely to impact him eventually but it's impossible to know when. It could be next year or it could be after he retires.

I'd love a deal structured like his 2013 deal but that's not going to happen in this market. I think a 2yr deal is a great solution (basically finishing out the deal he [i]almost[/] had last year) even if he's slightly overpaid. As noted above, hopefully the improvement in his hip (exit physical was better than his contract physical) means that the Sox won't have to worry about the hip.

Celtic AL
12-07-2013, 12:43 PM

Beltran would make very little sense for us. He's a part time DH and Right Fielder. We have no room for that and if we had signed him to the money he wanted I would be ticked.
Now as for Napoli sure he strikes out a lot but if he keeps hitting 20+ Hrs, getting RBI's and making plays at 1st base then I'm not going to complain. 2 years and 32mill is a fantastic deal. And besides who's out there in FA market would replace Napoli? No to Loney, meh to Corey Hart and Kendrys Morales isn't worth giving up a pick and is better suited for DH. So I rather keep Napoli.

I'm starting to really get tired from reading your nonsense. The players and Ben are fine.

PaudBall
12-07-2013, 01:15 PM
EEasyA has gone full heel.

AI
12-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Ben is a stud.

aabar4518
12-08-2013, 05:11 PM

Yeah, I'm surprised that there's nothing in the contract. I personally also have the same condition that Napoli has - avascular necrosis. Unlike Napoli, I have it in my right shoulder, not my hips. What basically happens is that your bones die and chips off. It's already in full effect for me: where a normal shoulder fits into its socket like a ball, mine is more like rigid and square, kinda like Thor's hammer. The result is intense pain (because the bone is grinding against its socket), a loss in range of motion, and eventually (if the pain doesn't cease) a shoulder replacement. For me, the pain went away, so I don't need a replacement yet, but I have lost almost complete range of motion in it. (Think John McCain trying to lift his arm)

I know people who have it in their hips and it is 10x worse. You literally can't walk because it hurts so much.

While Napoli's condition hasn't manifest itself YET, it will. And when it does, from my experience, his career willl probably be over because he will lose too much range of motion. Let's just hope it doesn't happen while he's still in his 30s.

Tragedy
12-08-2013, 11:33 PM

Yeah, I'm surprised that there's nothing in the contract. I personally also have the same condition that Napoli has - avascular necrosis. Unlike Napoli, I have it in my right shoulder, not my hips. What basically happens is that your bones die and chips off. It's already in full effect for me: where a normal shoulder fits into its socket like a ball, mine is more like rigid and square, kinda like Thor's hammer. The result is intense pain (because the bone is grinding against its socket), a loss in range of motion, and eventually (if the pain doesn't cease) a shoulder replacement. For me, the pain went away, so I don't need a replacement yet, but I have lost almost complete range of motion in it. (Think John McCain trying to lift his arm)

I know people who have it in their hips and it is 10x worse. You literally can't walk because it hurts so much.

While Napoli's condition hasn't manifest itself YET, it will. And when it does, from my experience, his career willl probably be over because he will lose too much range of motion. Let's just hope it doesn't happen while he's still in his 30s.
Thanks for the explanation. I had never understood it before.

That sounds so painful. Guess I can understand why the Sox didn't want Nap catching.

Walligans
12-09-2013, 12:07 AM
I have a friend with Avascular Necrosis who is in their early twenties and has already had to have both of their hips replaced. But it's a slow process, and they didn't have the benefits of the medication that Napoli's on.

aabar4518
12-09-2013, 03:08 PM
I have a friend with Avascular Necrosis who is in their early twenties and has already had to have both of their hips replaced. But it's a slow process, and they didn't have the benefits of the medication that Napoli's on.

Same here. It wasn't noticed in me until I had the pain from the bone grinding. I'm not sure what the medication does, but hopefully it helps.

Walligans
12-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Same here. It wasn't noticed in me until I had the pain from the bone grinding. I'm not sure what the medication does, but hopefully it helps.

Some of the quotes from Napoli's doctor seemed to suggest that there was no visible damage to Napoli's bone and he was hopeful the medication that Napoli was on could keep it that way.