PDA

View Full Version : Please help end a year long debate

tkshy
12-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Robert Horry hall of fame yes or no?

Please give stats and reasons if you can.

tredigs
12-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Negative. Great moments, but you would struggle to find a season where he was a top 25 player, let alone top 10 (which the vast majority of all inductees were for at least 3 seasons).

tredigs
12-05-2013, 05:37 PM
To put it another way, if he spent his career on the Bullets instead of the Rockets/Lakers/Spurs during the Hakeem+/Shaq+Kobe/Duncan+ eras, he would not be on the ballot and this debate wouldn't exist. I liked Horry a lot, but no to the Hall.

ManRam
12-05-2013, 05:37 PM
No. He was very fortunate to be on some great teams and capitalized on a few, but important, moments that we all remember. Maybe he's a "winner", or maybe he was fortunate. Maybe it was a mix of both. But what I do know is that he isn't even close to being one of the 150 best players ever, let alone Hall of Fame good.

The dude was never an All-Star. Thus, the perception was that he was never even one of the league's ~20-25 best players. His best career individual accolade is making the 2nd team all-rookie. He ranks 60th all time in game played...which is the highest up on any chart that he is all-time. He averaged 7 points a game in his career :shrug: I mean, come on.

He made the most of the few big moments that presented themselves to him, but he wasn't ever a star player. And the HOF, for players, should be reserved for stars at the very least.

TheMightyHumph
12-05-2013, 05:50 PM
I'd vote for him

PowerHouse
12-05-2013, 06:10 PM
If Michael Cooper couldnt get in, how the hell is Horry going to?

Pacerlive
12-05-2013, 06:16 PM
I can't see how you could vote yes. The guy was the ultimate role player on some championship teams but that doesn't qualify you as a hall of famer IMO. If Korver had the same amount of chips I wouldn't put him in either and he arguably has done more statistically.

Chronz
12-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Yes, more than just a big shot maker, productive difference maker on championship teams

TheMightyHumph
12-05-2013, 06:38 PM

By hitting big shots that decided who would be NBA champions.

PurpleJesus
12-05-2013, 06:44 PM
No. Hall of Fames are meant for dominant players, Horry never dominated.

ManningToTyree
12-05-2013, 06:51 PM
no. Clutch as they come and a great piece but not a great player.

I'm an Horry fan

NoahH
12-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Negative. Great moments, but you would struggle to find a season where he was a top 25 player, let alone top 10 (which the vast majority of all inductees were for at least 3 seasons).

Agree, but furthermore, Horry wasn't EVER a top 25 player in ANY season. Maybe he cracked top 50. He was clutch and got lucky to be on some good teams, but he was never the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or even 4th option on any championships squads. MAYBE his first two championships in Houston he was the 4th option, but he was still 6th in scoring on the team.

jaydubb
12-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Big shot Rob.. 7 chips, played a vital role in all of them.. Enough for the HOF?? probly not.. Never was a player even considered to be an all star let alone a superstar..

Dude was cut throat with the game on the line tho...

jerellh528
12-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Yes, more than just a big shot maker, productive difference maker on championship teams

No, every player on a championship team is a productive difference maker, he just had more times to put it on display with all his ring chasing lol jk. But no, horry does not deserve the hall. I feel this hof is a sanctioned spot for only the greatest players, not role players.

PowerHouse
12-05-2013, 11:16 PM
By hitting big shots that decided who would be NBA champions.

Uhh okay, thats it it? For HOF, really?

Granted he hit some big shots, nobody will argue with that but he wouldnt even be on the ballot or considered anything other than an average player if he didnt play with Olajuwon, Shaq, Kobe, or Duncan.

sixer04fan
12-06-2013, 02:44 AM
No way.

FlashBolt
12-06-2013, 02:58 AM
The only guy signed to a team because of his reputation for clutchness. Not HOF material, though.

Kashmir13579
12-06-2013, 03:56 AM
No, every player on a championship team is a productive difference maker, he just had more times to put it on display with all his ring chasing lol jk. But no, horry does not deserve the hall. I feel this hof is a sanctioned spot for only the greatest players, not role players.

What about the greatest role players? Not to mention a solid four-year collegiate career, 1107 nba games played, 7 rings, and the fact that he's big shot bob. He has my vote.

Chronz
12-06-2013, 05:20 AM

Every player is not productive wtf. Wat planet you on breh?

FOBolous
12-06-2013, 05:21 AM
sure he wasn't ever a top 10 player but his impact is indisputable...several teams wouldn't have won championships without him.

Chronz
12-06-2013, 05:21 AM

Granted he hit some big shots, nobody will argue with that but he wouldnt even be on the ballot or considered anything other than an average player if he didnt play with Olajuwon, Shaq, Kobe, or Duncan.

Lots of HOF are like that. Hes still vital to winning

Bruno
12-06-2013, 05:44 AM
nobody in playoff history has played in more games than robert horry. he's top 25 in post-season win-shares all time and has a few nice advanced lines to go along with his championship seasons. i like him in a HOF that doesn't seem to be as competitive to get into as other halls. he might get in years down the line during a weak year after his eligibility begins.

PurpleJesus
12-06-2013, 08:09 AM
Really surprised to see Chronz leading the charge for the yes vote. He made a believer out of me that TMac is an HoFer, with the point being that HoF players dominated on the court, which TMac did...Horry, not so much.

todu82
12-06-2013, 09:36 AM
No. He was good for a long time in the NBA but I doubt he makes the Hall of Fame.

mike_noodles
12-06-2013, 09:49 AM
No, he was a good role player but not HOF.

KnicksorBust
12-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Yes. His impact on the history of the leagure is undeniable.

Chronz
12-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Really surprised to see Chronz leading the charge for the yes vote. He made a believer out of me that TMac is an HoFer, with the point being that HoF players dominated on the court, which TMac did...Horry, not so much.

HOF has different standards than just electing superstars

PhillyFaninLA
12-06-2013, 12:53 PM
sure he wasn't ever a top 10 player but his impact is indisputable...several teams wouldn't have won championships without him.

They may not have made the playoffs with him on the roster and someone else gone. He was never the reason the teams won, he just hit the big shot.

PhillyFaninLA
12-06-2013, 12:53 PM

Shlumpledink
12-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Yes, horry is a legendary name now, sorry. If Horry came over from another country he'd have this award locked, so he doesn't have the foreign player vote, but his contributions to championship teams can't be ignored.

Hawkeye15
12-06-2013, 07:17 PM
absolutely not

If you are a fan who constantly uses rings in your argument when trying to push clearly inferior players down our throats, you are a hypocrite if you don't vote yes here...

WES KOAST
12-06-2013, 07:24 PM

cuz he has 7

tredigs
12-06-2013, 07:38 PM
HOF has different standards than just electing superstars

Do you believe it is a 'yes' or 'no' to the question of whether or not he would even be on a HOF ballot if he spent his career on the Washington Bullets?

PowerHouse
12-06-2013, 10:29 PM
cuz he has 7

Thats all you got? Thats your case for Horry?

Jim Loscutoff also has 7 rings, why isnt he in the HOF? Tom Sanders has eight rings, why isnt he in the HOF?

TheMightyHumph
12-07-2013, 05:20 PM

And Kobe, Duncan, Shaq or Hakeem wouldn't be considered as great as they are considered w/o Horry.

MagicBucsSox
12-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Yes, there is referees and Harlem globetrotters in the hall. So let's not act like the HOF is some sacred function

torocan
12-07-2013, 05:30 PM
I'm 50/50 on this one.

Holds the record for most 3's in the finals, most play off games ever played (244), 7 rings on 2 different teams, and he was the first player to hit 100/100/100 blocks, steals and 3's in a single season (arbitrary, I know). And he made more than a few clutch shots.

Yet he was never a top 25 player on offense or defense.

I could see him getting in for his longevity, play off appearances and clutch shots, but on a talent basis I can see why he wouldn't get in.

Is there a Basketball Hall of the Almost Famed?

TheMightyHumph
12-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Do you believe it is a 'yes' or 'no' to the question of whether or not he would even be on a HOF ballot if he spent his career on the Washington Bullets?

Might have effected some other HOF ballots.

TheMightyHumph
12-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Thats all you got? Thats your case for Horry?

Jim Loscutoff also has 7 rings, why isnt he in the HOF? Tom Sanders has eight rings, why isnt he in the HOF?

Guess they didn't make the big plays.

PowerHouse
12-07-2013, 05:47 PM
And Kobe, Duncan, Shaq or Hakeem wouldn't be considered as great as they are considered w/o Horry.

And Michael Jordan wouldnt be considered as great as he is w/o Kerr or Paxson's big shots but nobody would be idiotic enough to put those two in the hall.

Bruno
12-07-2013, 06:02 PM

thats an irrelevant hypothetical. he didn't spend his career with the bullets. his spent his career hitting game winners while assisting some of the all time greats to maybe an extra few championships they wouldn't have had otherwise.

ManRam
12-07-2013, 06:04 PM
I'm mostly concerned with the fact that the OP has been in a "year long" debate about this with someone else. A year?

Bruno
12-07-2013, 06:04 PM
absolutely not

If you are a fan who constantly uses rings in your argument when trying to push clearly inferior players down our throats, you are a hypocrite if you don't vote yes here...

isn't it hypocritical for the forums biggest proponents of advanced statistics to leave out a guy who is top 25 in post-season win-shares? those advanced stats look to hold up pretty good to me ;)

Bruno
12-07-2013, 06:05 PM
all the no votes severely over-rate what it takes to get into the hall.

go look at some of the names who have been inducted the past ten years. i bet a lot of posters wouldn't even recognize 25% of those names.

this isn't the baseball hall. horry will get in years after his eligibility begins during a weak seasons decades down the line, no doubt about it.

TheMightyHumph
12-07-2013, 06:06 PM
And Michael Jordan wouldnt be considered as great as he is w/o Kerr or Paxson's big shots but nobody would be idiotic enough to put those two in the hall.

Together, those two didn't hit as many big shots as Horry.

Bruno
12-07-2013, 06:08 PM
I get it though guys. i'm just busting your chops.

horry will probably be one of the few exceptions to make it in because of his playoff success. he's a product of cold blooded shooting and ideal circumstance. i think he'll be one of the few exceptions. most playoff games played ever? only non 60's celtic with 7 or more rings, top 25 in playoff win-shares? common, he's an anomoly who will squeeze in.

mightybosstone
12-07-2013, 07:07 PM
No, and I don't think it's close. I love Horry, and he was definitely one of my favorite Rockets growing up, but the guy was never remotely close to being an All-Star caliber player. As others have said, if he hadn't played for amazing teams, this discussion wouldn't be remotely possible.

I'd like to put it another way.... The guy gets credit for being "Big Shot Rob" and hitting big shots at key moments in big games. Let's say for the sake of argument he had 8-10 shots that directly affected the outcome at the end of a playoff game. Those are 8-10 moments that made him more relevant as a player than he really was. But suppose those 8-10 shots were made by a horrible, god awful excuse for an NBA player who was only on the floor due to extenuating circumstances.

Is a horrible NBA player that had 8-10 big moments in the playoffs worthy of being in the Hall of Fame? No. So then why should a barely above average guy like Horry get in because of those same moments? Because it's clear to me that those few moments are the reason we're having the discussion. Not his overall merit as an NBA player his entire career.

mightybosstone
12-07-2013, 07:09 PM
I will say this much, though. Horry definitely belongs on any list of all-time great role players. If there is ever a section in the Hall of Fame solely for great role players, Horry should get his own shrine. Until then, though, he'll have to buy a ticket if he wants to get inside the Hall.

king4day
12-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Jordan, Stockton, Malone, Wilt, Bird, Magic, Horry.

Which of those doesn't belong?
Who would you start a team with. Or in what order of all those players would you start a team with? (Note: If you put Horry ahead of any of them, you are an idiot and need to leave the internet forever).

Just a good role player. Nothing more. If he ever gets inducted, it will forever diminish the Hall and what it means.

TheMightyHumph
12-07-2013, 07:33 PM

Who would you start a team with. Or in what order of all those players would you start a team with? (Note: If you put Horry ahead of any of them, you are an idiot and need to leave the internet forever).

Just a good role player. Nothing more. If he ever gets inducted, it will forever diminish the Hall and what it means.

So, if you aren't on the level of those first 6 guys, you don't belong in the HOF?

Take a look at the list of HOFers. Joan Crawford's in there, fer krissakes.

king4day
12-07-2013, 07:41 PM
So, if you aren't on the level of those first 6 guys, you don't belong in the HOF?

Take a look at the list of HOFers. Joan Crawford's in there, fer krissakes.

No but the reason anyone talks about Horry is because he's a significant role player on title teams. He doesn't hit the 3 against the Kings had the ball not been swatted to him. He may not win with the Spurs in '07 had he not decked Nash.
The point is, he's a role player. Manu is a career 6th man but he impacts every game and will deserve to get in.
Horry hit some big shots.
And just because other undeserving players are in there doesn't mean he belongs too. That's my opinion.
In 30 years, people will know Horry for probably just the shot against the Kings. A play he did nothing but stand there watching the ball until it was luckily swatted back to him.
Not for his days as a starter

king4day
12-07-2013, 07:42 PM
And on a side note, this isn't a year long debate. This thread topic comes up at least once a year on PSD. The debates end with neither side budging and the poll results always end the same lopsided way.

IKnowHoops
12-07-2013, 07:44 PM

Wow, I'm so surprised to hear this coming from you. I know you like advanced stats, and based on our difference of opinion between Ivo and Paul based on advanced stats. Are there any advanced stats that say Horry is a hall of famed or that are comparable to other hall of famers? Just curios.

LAcowBOMBER
12-07-2013, 07:45 PM

Saying he isn't a top 10 player overall is a poor argument for why he shouldn't be in the hall. Also, this is almost somehow always forgotten in discussions like this, the NBA doesn't have a hall of fame and Horry had a good college career. He was also the first NBA player with 100 blocks, 100 steals, and 100 3s in an NBA season

king4day
12-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Saying he isn't a top 10 player overall is a poor argument for why he shouldn't be in the hall. Also, this is almost somehow always forgotten in discussions like this, the NBA doesn't have a hall of fame and Horry had a good college career. He was also the first NBA player with 100 blocks, 100 steals, and 100 3s in an NBA season

Top 50, top 100... I wouldn't say it's just top ten. He's had a nice career. That's all.
Has any other player had the triple 100? Are they all HOF worthy (They might be, I've never heard of that stat before)?
My point is, how does a role player get into the HOF. Has any Role Player ever gone in before?

IKnowHoops
12-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Lots of HOF are like that. Hes still vital to winning

example?

IKnowHoops
12-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Yes, horry is a legendary name now, sorry. If Horry came over from another country he'd have this award locked, so he doesn't have the foreign player vote, but his contributions to championship teams can't be ignored.

Manu Ginobli is way more deserving and I don't even see that happening. Sarunas Marciulionis was much better and even if he had played 3 times longer, he wouldn't have made the hall. Horry was always on the teams with the best players, and he took advantage of that, but he is no Hall of famed for hitting big shots.

Bruno
12-07-2013, 08:05 PM
why do most arguments against a HOF induction here include some kind of fictional hypothetical? lets talk about what he did, not what he wasn't able to accomplish in some alternative reality.

IKnowHoops
12-07-2013, 08:10 PM
thats an irrelevant hypothetical. he didn't spend his career with the bullets. his spent his career hitting game winners while assisting some of the all time greats to maybe an extra few championships they wouldn't have had otherwise.

To me a true hall of fame nab b-ball player would be hall of famer no matter what team he played for. David Robinson is a great example. Goes to the worst team in the NBA, and is pretty much a Hall of fame lock if he doesn't get injured after year 1. Same with Bron, same with Mike, same with tons of great, not true at all with Horry.

IKnowHoops
12-07-2013, 08:18 PM
isn't it hypocritical for the forums biggest proponents of advanced statistics to leave out a guy who is top 25 in post-season win-shares? those advanced stats look to hold up pretty good to me ;)

Not at all. If thats all you got, and thats your only good advanced stat, thats a great way to spot a sham, or a fake. The true great players are at the top of many advanced stat lists.

ManRam
12-07-2013, 08:31 PM
why do most arguments against a HOF induction here include some kind of fictional hypothetical? lets talk about what he did, not what he wasn't able to accomplish in some alternative reality.

Let's talk about what he didn't do: ever play like a top 30-40 player in the league.

LAcowBOMBER
12-07-2013, 08:33 PM
Top 50, top 100... I wouldn't say it's just top ten. He's had a nice career. That's all.
Has any other player had the triple 100? Are they all HOF worthy (They might be, I've never heard of that stat before)?
My point is, how does a role player get into the HOF. Has any Role Player ever gone in before?

I think it could be argued that he is the best player to ever make a career out of being a pivotal role player on various championship teams while hitting numerous clutch shots along the way. I'm not necessarily saying he belongs, but I wouldn't be mad if he got in

TheMightyHumph
12-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Let's talk about what he didn't do: ever play like a top 30-40 player in the league.

But a top player and a game changer in the playoffs

TheMightyHumph
12-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Manu Ginobli is way more deserving and I don't even see that happening. Sarunas Marciulionis was much better and even if he had played 3 times longer, he wouldn't have made the hall. Horry was always on the teams with the best players, and he took advantage of that, but he is no Hall of famed for hitting big shots.

And the teams with the best players had Horry on the floor at the crunchtime of big games, because that's the time that Horry was the best player.

IKnowHoops
12-07-2013, 09:05 PM
I think it could be argued that he is the best player to ever make a career out of being a pivotal role player on various championship teams while hitting numerous clutch shots along the way. I'm not necessarily saying he belongs, but I wouldn't be mad if he got in

Did he ever win even 6th man of the year? Lets find out who the best player who played in converse, with a hole in the heel, on a friday while chewing big league chew raspberry flavor, while winning a championship to. If Rob gets in on his particulars, then this guy is also worthy. I'd be mad if he won because his argument for the hall is essentially Kobe's argument for being better than Bron, which is no argument.

TheMightyHumph
12-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Did he ever win even 6th man of the year? Lets find out who the best player who played in converse, with a hole in the heel, on a friday while chewing big league chew raspberry flavor, while winning a championship to. If Rob gets in on his particulars, then this guy is also worthy. I'd be mad if he won because his argument for the hall is essentially Kobe's argument for being better than Bron, which is no argument.

HOF isn't a question of who is better than who. I'd say it was a question of accomplishments.

ManRam
12-07-2013, 09:39 PM

He was a product of opportunity.

I'm less of a believer in the mysticism that is "clutch" than most, so maybe that's why I'm pretty firm on this. There are tons of players who make some of those same shots if they were consistently given the chances he was made. He wasn't as much of a "game changer" as you're suggesting. He wasn't even a game changer. He was just a very, very good role player who happened to have the ball in some very, very big moments and happened to hit some of those shots. Yes, he changed some games with a few huge shots...but that doesn't mean he should make the Hall of Fame. The Hall of Role Players? Sure. The Hall of Big Shots? Definitely. Not the HOF.

TheMightyHumph
12-07-2013, 09:59 PM
He was a product of opportunity.

I'm less of a believer in the mysticism that is "clutch" than most, so maybe that's why I'm pretty firm on this. There are tons of players who make some of those same shots if they were consistently given the chances he was made. He wasn't as much of a "game changer" as you're suggesting. He wasn't even a game changer. He was just a very, very good role player who happened to have the ball in some very, very big moments and happened to hit some of those shots. Yes, he changed some games with a few huge shots...but that doesn't mean he should make the Hall of Fame. The Hall of Role Players? Sure. The Hall of Big Shots? Definitely. Not the HOF.

Be as firm as you like. Neither of our opinions will have much of an effect on whether Horry gets into the Hall or not.

ManRam
12-07-2013, 10:04 PM
Be as firm as you like. Neither of our opinions will have much of an effect on whether Horry gets into the Hall or not.

For sure.

And there hasn't been a player really like him before either, so there's no precedent. He would be the first of his kind if he did make it...and because of that, I just wouldn't bank on it.

torocan
12-07-2013, 10:47 PM
The Hall of Role Players? Sure. The Hall of Big Shots? Definitely. Not the HOF.

Oddly, I wouldn't be completely shocked if they put him in as a nod to Role Players. Stranger things have happened.

mightybosstone
12-08-2013, 12:24 AM

Not at all, because you're leaving out one huge factor when it comes to win shares: volume. Robert Horry played in 244 playoff games, the most of any player in NBA history. Any average player who plays in that many games would compile a ton of win shares. But if you put everyone on the same playing field using WS/48, Horry was 116th all-time in WS/48. That's hardly indicative of a player who deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

I'm sorry, but Robert Horry does NOT belong in the NBA under any circumstances.

PowerHouse
12-08-2013, 02:40 AM

Top player in the playoffs? You are another one of the many who allow the memories of his big shots to blind you from his actual efficiency in the playoffs- or lack there of. He only averaged 7.9 ppg on .426 fg% and .359 3pt%. Even though playoffs are what he is known for, those are obviously not HOF numbers.

PowerHouse
12-08-2013, 02:48 AM
Oddly, I wouldn't be completely shocked if they put him in as a nod to Role Players. Stranger things have happened.

If they are gonna put somebody in as a nod to role players why not put in Michael Cooper who is, in my opinion, the greatest role player of all time?

Cooper's amazing defense, athleticism and clutch play solidified the showtime Lakers' bench for all 5 of those championships. He is also the only bench player in NBA history to win the DPOY. Horry is known for hitting more big shots than Coop (who had a couple himself) but Cooper was an overall more efficient shooter than Horry in playoff time and played a huge role.

TheMightyHumph
12-08-2013, 12:34 PM
If they are gonna put somebody in as a nod to role players why not put in Michael Cooper who is, in my opinion, the greatest role player of all time?

Cooper's amazing defense, athleticism and clutch play solidified the showtime Lakers' bench for all 5 of those championships. He is also the only bench player in NBA history to win the DPOY. Horry is known for hitting more big shots than Coop (who had a couple himself) but Cooper was an overall more efficient shooter than Horry in playoff time and played a huge role.

Vote early and often

TheMightyHumph
12-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Top player in the playoffs? You are another one of the many who allow the memories of his big shots to blind you from his actual efficiency in the playoffs- or lack there of. He only averaged 7.9 ppg on .426 fg% and .359 3pt%. Even though playoffs are what he is known for, those are obviously not HOF numbers.

But those were HOF shots.

And let's not forget Horry's three other great moments.

Body checking Steve Nash

The hard/dirty/clean screen on David West

Throwing a towel in Danny Ainge's face (truly a favorite of mine).

ewing
12-08-2013, 04:40 PM
no b/c he wasn't close to being good enough

ewing
12-08-2013, 04:43 PM
if the rockets or Laker wanted to retire his number fine. I wouldn't have a problem with the knicks retiring Charles Oakley's number either but the HOF is the best players ever. Robert Horry was not in that ball park

TheMightyHumph
12-08-2013, 05:01 PM
if the rockets or Laker wanted to retire his number fine. I wouldn't have a problem with the knicks retiring Charles Oakley's number either but the HOF is the best players ever. Robert Horry was not in that ball park

Guess you shouldn't vote for him.

But it is 'The Hall of Fame', not 'The Hall of Best Players'.

ThaDubs
12-08-2013, 05:43 PM

It's called the Hall of Fame but it's spots are reserved for the best players and coaches with certain exceptions such as Goose Tatum.

NoahH
12-08-2013, 05:44 PM

But the "Hall of Fame" IS the 'Hall of Best Players. If the two were mutually exclusive then people like Scalbrine would get in because they are fan favorites.

TheMightyHumph
12-08-2013, 06:16 PM
But the "Hall of Fame" IS the 'Hall of Best Players. If the two were mutually exclusive then people like Scalbrine would get in because they are fan favorites.

Maravich got in because he was a fan favorite.

Pete took a lot of shots and scored a lot of points for awhile.

I'd certainly argue Horry had a bigger impact on the NBA than The Pistol.

ewing
12-08-2013, 06:38 PM

are you implying that it is for the most famous players?

ewing
12-08-2013, 06:45 PM

Pete had one of the most storied college careers ever, was a 5 time all star, and had an impact on how the game was actually played. Big shot Rob hit some open 3s and scored 7 a game for his career. He was a serious underachiever in his prime who had the clutch gene and was blessed with great team mates. Put Horry on the Denver Nuggets for his career and no one knows who he is. Put Pete on dynasty level teams and bet he has some big moments too.

tredigs
12-08-2013, 06:47 PM

Hahahah... WHAT? Is this just blatant trolling or are you really this ignorant?

ewing
12-08-2013, 06:55 PM

maybe but not many guys get to play on various championship teams. Still, he was no near the best role player to spend a lot of his career at the championship level. AC Green, Coop, Danny Ainge, Toni Kucok, and Bruce Bowen are all guys i saw play that were championship role players and were clearly better.

ewing
12-08-2013, 07:01 PM

What NBA player didn't have a good college career? He didn't have Bill Walton's college career so it matters even less then 100 blocks steals and 3s when assessing weather he should be in the HOF

ewing
12-08-2013, 07:04 PM
To me a true hall of fame nab b-ball player would be hall of famer no matter what team he played for. David Robinson is a great example. Goes to the worst team in the NBA, and is pretty much a Hall of fame lock if he doesn't get injured after year 1. Same with Bron, same with Mike, same with tons of great, not true at all with Horry.

this is what it really comes down to. Horry wasn't a good enough player to be a difference maker on without being on a dynasty

mightybosstone
12-08-2013, 07:06 PM
I'm stunned that this poll has gotten 14 "yes" votes. How in the hell can you justify Horry in the Hall of Fame outside of a handful of big shots and the fact that he was lucky enough to play for 7 championship teams? I just don't get it...

TheMightyHumph
12-08-2013, 07:32 PM
are you implying that it is for the most famous players?

For those that have done things that caused them fame, Contributing mightily to 7 Championship teams in crunchtime can cause fame, as it has with Horry.

And certainly, Pete's famous, but Horry had more of an impact on the game, as he hit important crunchtime shots that seriously affected who would win the NBA Title.

Pete didn't get to sniff one of those.

NoahH
12-08-2013, 08:07 PM

Remember its the basketball hall of fame. The Pistol did most of his damage in the NCAA like Bill Walton. Even so tho The Pistol was a 5x all star. Horry was a 0x all star.

The Pistol NBA & NCAA >>>> Robert Horry NBA & NCAA

TheMightyHumph
12-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Remember its the basketball hall of fame. The Pistol did most of his damage in the NCAA like Bill Walton. Even so tho The Pistol was a 5x all star. Horry was a 0x all star.

The Pistol NBA & NCAA >>>> Robert Horry NBA & NCAA

Yeah, Maravich shot a lot. His teams win anything in college or the NBA? He contribute to a team Title of any sort.

The fans loved him though, and I lived to watch him play.

Had one particular talent that I found astounding and really haven't seen anyone do it antwhere close to as good as Pete did it.

Maravich had the ability to pass the ball off ANY part of his dribble. Was incredible to watch. But the guy was a poor shooting, high TO loser.