PDA

View Full Version : Race to the MVP!

naps
12-04-2013, 11:33 PM
Still early in the season but I think we can start this conversation now.

Here's the latest of NBA.COM's ladder (http://www.nba.com/mvp-ladder/).

Paul George is my darkhorse with LeBron being the favorite. Paul George can easily be this years Derrick Rose if Indiana keeps up their strong play.

NBA_Starter
12-04-2013, 11:49 PM
People may be tired of voting for LeBron.

P&GRealist
12-04-2013, 11:51 PM
Gotta go with Durant who has the Thunder dominating the competitive Wild Wild West, leading the league in scoring, having his best all around season. Second has to be Paul George and how he's ascended and leading the charge and keeping that team emotionally strong after that devastating gm7 loss last yr to MiA.
with Chris Paul 3rd.

SugeKnight
12-05-2013, 12:35 AM
Steve Curry

Cal827
12-05-2013, 12:37 AM
If Indiana, LAC or OKC don't finish 1st overall, then It'll probably be LBJs again

Otherwise Paul, George, and Durant might get it... Almost 100% sure that George gets it if Indiana is 1st overall.

Shammyguy3
12-05-2013, 12:41 AM
Aldridge being on there is silly. 23ppg on a 51ts% and average at best defense means nothing. I agree with the top-5 though, although I'd have it a slightly different order

EL_MACHETE
12-05-2013, 12:41 AM
Would love to see Durant win it and also his 1st Championship too

LAKobeBryant
12-05-2013, 12:45 AM
What would it take Paul George to win the MVP, Number #1 rank team in the NBA and 25ppg can get it done?

Shammyguy3
12-05-2013, 12:49 AM
If he keeps a 55.0ts%+ and his current 25/6/3 slash line then yeah, and the Pacers are in 1st place in the East, then he'll definitely be deserving. But others are having historic seasons, so that still probably won't be enough

P&GRealist
12-05-2013, 01:10 AM
What would it take Paul George to win the MVP, Number #1 rank team in the NBA and 25ppg can get it done?

He's #2 on my list, but Durant is having the better season in the much tougher conference.

Furymaker
12-05-2013, 01:14 AM
Lamarcus Aldridge anyone? He's killing it this season and Portland is doing great too

Shammyguy3
12-05-2013, 01:41 AM
Lamarcus Aldridge anyone? He's killing it this season and Portland is doing great too

He's really not killing it at all

holditdown
12-05-2013, 12:14 PM

Dude. Don't know where you have been this year, but he's having a great year. Big problem I have is he's shooting under 50% as a big man so I would not give it to him, but he's definitely in the convo if he and his team get even better.

John Walls Era
12-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Paul George. Can I even give it to KD when Westbrook is the leader of that team (something KD has stated many times --- and people underrated Westy's leadership ability).

Heatcheck
12-05-2013, 12:31 PM
I vote for the guy averaging 26, 6 and 6 on 60% shooting, and who plays four positions on defense.

LeperMessiah
12-05-2013, 12:35 PM

It helps to put up 38 pts on 57% shooting against an elite defense like yesterday.

P&GRealist
12-05-2013, 12:40 PM
I vote for the guy averaging 26, 6 and 6 on 60% shooting, and who plays four positions on defense.

60% for a SF is amazing, but LeBron has had better numbers across the board in previous seasons. To get MVP #5, he's going to need out of this world numbers, and he very we'll should lead the Heat to 70 wins this season. The East is the worse it's ever been, playing 52 games against the East, he very we'll should win the majority.

Then theres the argument of having the most stacked team while being the best player in the game.

Heatcheck
12-05-2013, 01:00 PM
60% for a SF is amazing, but LeBron has had better numbers across the board in previous seasons. To get MVP #5, he's going to need out of this world numbers, and he very we'll should lead the Heat to 70 wins this season. The East is the worse it's ever been, playing 52 games against the East, he very we'll should win the majority.

Then theres the argument of having the most stacked team while being the best player in the game.

I don't think he should be punished for his past success. they pulled the same **** on Jordan.
and his team is stacked because hes on it, without him, theyre not that good, especially considering wade has to be rested now and again for the playoffs. the team works because bron is on it and all he things he can do offensively and defensively. I do agree the east has been pretty bad so far.

FlashBolt
12-05-2013, 01:33 PM
CP3 should not be up there. I am sorry but it's time to take his *** down.

IKnowHoops
12-05-2013, 01:41 PM
If he keeps a 55.0ts%+ and his current 25/6/3 slash line then yeah, and the Pacers are in 1st place in the East, then he'll definitely be deserving. But others are having historic seasons, so that still probably won't be enough

MEANWHILE Lebron hat a TS of 70%. His FG% of 60% is higher than Paul George's TS%. And at 26/6/6 he is clearly outplaying Paul George. Giving it to PG over Bron right now would be theft. While PG has improved the most, he is not outplaying LBJ.

beliges
12-05-2013, 01:45 PM

Well at this early point in the season.there are a few players ahead of LBJ for the MVP. You got George, Aldridge and CP3 all having a better combination of individual and team.success.

astonmartin10
12-05-2013, 01:50 PM
If Indiana keeps up this play and finish first George dethrones Lebron. If not King James wins again. Is it 5 now? Damn amazing

SugeKnight
12-05-2013, 02:49 PM
If Indiana keeps up this play and finish first George dethrones Lebron. If not King James wins again. Is it 5 now? Damn amazing

not in a row. they gave it to rose the year he went to miami

MonroeFAN
12-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Rename it "the lebron" and stop voting.

5ass
12-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Bron is just on another level.

Shammyguy3
12-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Dude. Don't know where you have been this year, but he's having a great year. Big problem I have is he's shooting under 50% as a big man so I would not give it to him, but he's definitely in the convo if he and his team get even better.

It helps to put up 38 pts on 57% shooting against an elite defense like yesterday.

Before last night's game he was at 23ppg on a 51ts%. Even with that performance he's only at 23.5ppg and a 51.7ts%. Again, he's not killing it.

MEANWHILE Lebron hat a TS of 70%. His FG% of 60% is higher than Paul George's TS%. And at 26/6/6 he is clearly outplaying Paul George. Giving it to PG over Bron right now would be theft. While PG has improved the most, he is not outplaying LBJ.

Which is exactly why I said he'd be deserving of the award but it still wouldn't be enough because of other players' historic performances thus far.

chi-townlove1
12-05-2013, 03:38 PM

Before last night's game he was at 23ppg on a 51ts%. Even with that performance he's only at 23.5ppg and a 51.7ts%. Again, he's not killing it.

Which is exactly why I said he'd be deserving of the award but it still wouldn't be enough because of other players' historic performances thus far.

Sham - just a question. Where does this utter hatred for L.A. Come from...? I mean I would gladly take him over most big men in the nba. And he is having a great season, granted his low fg %. But I think we need to stop nitpicking.

b_russ
12-05-2013, 03:44 PM

I'm always a proponent of hoping the most deserving wins these NBA awards and fear that this is going to be another Rose MVP winner year again. You always have to factor in timing, when the votes are submitted, that plays a major role in the victor.

jerellh528
12-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Would pacers be #1 in the east without pg? Nah. Would miami be #2 in the east without Lebron? Yea

Heatcheck
12-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Would pacers be #1 in the east without pg? Nah. Would miami be #2 in the east without Lebron? Yea

a better question would be,
If you were to assign each player a value, based solely on how they are playing this year, who's would be the highest?

WadeKobe
12-05-2013, 04:41 PM
It will likely go to the same person it usually goes to -- the top scorer on the best team.

jerellh528
12-05-2013, 05:00 PM
a better question would be,
If you were to assign each player a value, based solely on how they are playing this year, who's would be the highest?
A value? Probably kevin love, pg or lma.

Heatcheck
12-05-2013, 05:03 PM
A value? Probably kevin love, pg or lma.

wow...
ill say again, 26 6 and 6 on 60% and 47% from behind the line, and guards four different positions.
No one is more valuable than that.

jerellh528
12-05-2013, 05:26 PM
wow...
ill say again, 26 6 and 6 on 60% and 47% from behind the line, and guards four different positions.
No one is more valuable than that.

Talking about to their respective teams. Obviously Lebron knows how to fill up a stat sheet. I'm talking strictly value to that individual player's team.

ManRam
12-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Chris Paul and Paul George are the two most likely to usurp LeBron.

He might have a chance if they win the West, but he hasn't been quite as good as he was last year and he doesn't have the potential for a good story like the other two. Unless LeBron doesn't have a LeBron-like season, I just can't see how he wins it. It sucks for KD that LeBron was so sensational last season, because OKC won the West and KD played about as good of basketball as anyone not named LeBron has in a long time. It makes me pretty pessimistic about his odds.

PG has the Rose path towards the MVP unfolding before his eyes: be on a really good team with a historically-great defense, win more games than the Heat, and viola! It's yours. He's not going to play at all as well as LeBron, but people will see that record, assume that he's the reason why (because no one cares about defense) and that's that.

LMA shouldn't be in the discussion. His team has been great, but he hasn't been anything close to MVP-caliber good. Love won't win it on a 4th place or worse team...because no one ever does. The Wolves are just that...so we can give up that dream.

I think if Indy wins the East and George continues to be better than last year, then I think he'll win it.

If LAC wins the West than I think CP3 might get it...hopefully voters are aware that he probably should have one already. KD maybe has a shot if they win the West too, but that's already been done...so it might seem boring to voters.

Otherwise, there's no justification for giving it to anyone but LeBron. :shrug:

ManRam
12-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Talking about to their respective teams. Obviously Lebron knows how to fill up a stat sheet. I'm talking strictly value to that individual player's team.

Why are we so certain it's the "Most Valuable to your team Player" and not just the "Most Valuable Player period" award?

AddiX
12-05-2013, 05:38 PM
Paul George IMO Is the the entire MVP list right now.

CP3 is second if there must be a second place.

jerellh528
12-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Why are we so certain it's the "Most Valuable to your team Player" and not just the "Most Valuable Player period" award?

We're not. There's no specific rules for winning MVP, that's why it's so inconsistent.

savvy1803
12-05-2013, 05:57 PM

Aldridge is looking really good this year but there is still a lot of basketball to be played , excellent mid-range game and great in the post as well . It's quite early in the year but i agree he should receive some merit , if his rebounding and defense picks up and the Blazers continue to play well for the rest of the year , who knows ?

WES KOAST
12-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Steve Curry

who's steve?

WES KOAST
12-05-2013, 06:01 PM
1. George
2. LeBron
3. LA
4. Durant
5. love
6. lawson

WES KOAST
12-05-2013, 06:02 PM
right now George > Durant

NoahH
12-05-2013, 06:09 PM

Dont forget 48% from 3pt too

WadeKobe
12-05-2013, 06:28 PM

There is no one in the NBA more valuable to their team than LeBron James. That's just a reality.

WARRIORS@GR
12-05-2013, 06:44 PM
That list is a joke.How is Harden higher than Curry?

Minimal
12-05-2013, 07:45 PM
It looks like the league wants CP3 to win it this year. They mention him everywhere.
Well stacked Clippers, which were projected for 1st seed are only 4th in west with so so 12-7 record. That doesn't make CP3 an MVP winner for sure.

My top 5 atm:
1. Paul George
2. LeBron James
3. Kevin Durant
4. Chris Paul
5. LaMarcus Aldridge

WARRIORS@GR
12-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Again,how is George ahead of Lebron.His team being 2 games ahead means nothing at his early point.Lebron tops PG at every category you can look for,advanced,per game,everything.

NBA_Starter
12-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Kevin Love

Htownballa1622
12-05-2013, 08:42 PM
If Pg wins it and Pacers win Only a few games more than Miami, I'll be upset.

There's no way he's the mvp over Lebron.

Lebron is getting the Jordan treatment now smh.

jerellh528
12-05-2013, 09:01 PM
If Pg wins it and Pacers win Only a few games more than Miami, I'll be upset.

There's no way he's the mvp over Lebron.

Lebron is getting the Jordan treatment now smh.

Lebron has two other guys on his team, one averages almost 20 ppg, the other averages just about 15 ppg. After Paul George's 25 ppg the next closest guy on the pacers averages about 12 ppg. Pacers are the best team in the nba enormously because of pg. Lebron's heat are 4th best in the nba atm and that's with Lebron having 2 big time players at his side. Both teams have 5 players who average double digit scoring, but the heat also have a 6th man of the year candidate and much better bench , Lebron has too much help to be in the MVP discussion ahead of George. Lebron is being super efficient this season thus far, but at this point I'm wondering if Lebron knows how efficient he's being and it's hurting the team with him trying to preserve his efficient stats. He should be taking more shots a game, he's averaging the lowest shots per game of his entire career and 5 less per game than his career average. I feel like lebrons trying not to put up shots so he doesn't hurt his averages. Also it's a coincidence lebrons lowest fga games have been in losses, if your the best player on your team you gotta put it up more to help them win, forget your precious fg%. Also how can you be the premiere player in the nba and barely crack the top 10 in usg by .1? Maybe if Lebron concentrated on securing wins more than efficient stats the heat would be the #1 seed instead of the pacers, they should be with their roster.

naps
12-05-2013, 09:14 PM
LOL at this guy. Pacers are so good primarily because of their defense. PG is not the lone responsible guy for all of their recent success. Try to understand what the game is all about instead of focusing on just boxscore.

jerellh528
12-05-2013, 09:20 PM
LOL at this guy. Pacers are so good primarily because of their defense. PG is not the lone responsible guy for all of their recent success. Try to understand what the game is all about instead of focusing on just boxscore.

You missed the whole point of PGs value to his team over lebrons. But pg is also the best defensive player on the pacers so that also helps his case even more I guess, maybe if he keeps it up he can win dpoy and MVP lol. Miami is a top 5 defensive team as well so it's not like pacers are the only team that plays defense. Just saying, George has been huge for them and yes, the main reason they are the best team in the NBA. For his offense and defense. Also you're the one who focuses too much on box scores Mr. 60 ts%.

Heatcheck
12-05-2013, 09:45 PM
You missed the whole point of PGs value to his team over lebrons. But pg is also the best defensive player on the pacers so that also helps his case even more I guess, maybe if he keeps it up he can win dpoy and MVP lol. Miami is a top 5 defensive team as well so it's not like pacers are the only team that plays defense. Just saying, George has been huge for them and yes, the main reason they are the best team in the NBA. For his offense and defense. Also you're the one who focuses too much on box scores Mr. 60 ts%.

Everything George does defensively is predicated by Hibbert and west down low. Lebrons on ball and help defense and his versatility on both sides of the ball is what makes this team effective.

Heatcheck
12-05-2013, 09:52 PM
And everything you wrote about George can be said about James, minus west and the dominant 7fter

naps
12-05-2013, 10:28 PM

lol you are so lost and blinded by LeBron hate. PG is their best defensive player? LMFAO! Study the game and watch some real games instead of 2k.

jerellh528
12-05-2013, 10:32 PM
lol you are so lost and blinded by LeBron hate. PG is their best defensive player? LMFAO! Study the game and watch some real games instead of 2k.

I don't play 2k and I've probably forgot more about basketball than you've ever learned. Why instead of throwing out useless statements and continuing to make yourself look like one of the biggest trolls in this forum, you post some substance into your posts.

beliges
12-05-2013, 10:37 PM

Right now the PG has led his team to more than success than lebron has with his more talented team. Obviously lebron is still the best player in the league but not necessarily the mvp of the league. Guys like Aldridge and PG are currently more deserving with CP3 and Durant right there.

It'll be almost impossible for LBJ to win the MVP without the #1 seed in the east.

5ass
12-05-2013, 10:45 PM

lol everything PG does, bron does better.

WARRIORS@GR
12-05-2013, 10:49 PM
lol everything PG does, bron does better.this

jerellh528
12-05-2013, 10:51 PM
lol everything PG does, bron does better.

It's not about who does what better, is about translating that into value and wins. Read my previous post to figure out what I think of Lebron this year. Lebron is the best player, on the most stacked team, in the worst conference, with the easiest strength of schedule this far. They should easily have the best record, but they don't mostly because of the stellar play of Paul George. As far as MVP goes, he's probably behind lma, Paul and durant as well. But it doesn't matter really, MVP is a crap shoot anyways.

Matter.
12-05-2013, 10:54 PM
One of the ways I look at the award is by comparing how teams would do without each player...

jerellh528
12-05-2013, 10:55 PM
One of the ways I look at the award is by comparing how teams would do without each player...

This is a big part of what I do as well.

IKnowHoops
12-05-2013, 10:56 PM
Lebron has two other guys on his team, one averages almost 20 ppg, the other averages just about 15 ppg. After Paul George's 25 ppg the next closest guy on the pacers averages about 12 ppg. Pacers are the best team in the nba enormously because of pg. Lebron's heat are 4th best in the nba atm and that's with Lebron having 2 big time players at his side. Both teams have 5 players who average double digit scoring, but the heat also have a 6th man of the year candidate and much better bench , Lebron has too much help to be in the MVP discussion ahead of George. Lebron is being super efficient this season thus far, but at this point I'm wondering if Lebron knows how efficient he's being and it's hurting the team with him trying to preserve his efficient stats. He should be taking more shots a game, he's averaging the lowest shots per game of his entire career and 5 less per game than his career average. I feel like lebrons trying not to put up shots so he doesn't hurt his averages. Also it's a coincidence lebrons lowest fga games have been in losses, if your the best player on your team you gotta put it up more to help them win, forget your precious fg%. Also how can you be the premiere player in the nba and barely crack the top 10 in usg by .1? Maybe if Lebron concentrated on securing wins more than efficient stats the heat would be the #1 seed instead of the pacers, they should be with their roster.

Last year in the Playoffs, Roy Hibbert was harder for the Heat to deal with than Paul George. If points were the only thing that mattered you would have a point, but because Roy Hibbert was an impossible matchup for the Heat offensively and defensively, he is a bigger advantage for the Pacers than either Wade or Bosh and the point you were trying to make...which I believe was PG has to do more than Lebron, and or has less help than lebron...well the point just isn't true.

Heatcheck
12-05-2013, 10:59 PM
The MVP is for the best player in the league that specific year. All that other stuff (best player on the best team, most important player to their team) is people manipulating the ambiguity of the word valuable in the title, so they can vote for whom they like. Which is why I always thought it should be renamed"player of the year" or "best player" award, which is what people think of when they look back at it.

jerellh528
12-05-2013, 11:04 PM
Last year in the Playoffs, Roy Hibbert was harder for the Heat to deal with than Paul George. If points were the only thing that mattered you would have a point, but because Roy Hibbert was an impossible matchup for the Heat offensively and defensively, he is a bigger advantage for the Pacers than either Wade or Bosh and the point you were trying to make...which I believe was PG has to do more than Lebron, and or has less help than lebron...well the point just isn't true.
Your point might have a little bit of merit if we were talking about playoff matchups, but I was alluding to how pg has to ball out every game for them to win because he's their only offensive option whereas Lebron has tons more help and take the fewest shots of his career and barely crack the top 10 in usg because he has guys like wade and bosh to rely on, but uhh okay.

jerellh528
12-05-2013, 11:05 PM
The MVP is for the best player in the league that specific year. All that other stuff (best player on the best team, most important player to their team) is people manipulating the ambiguity of the word valuable in the title, so they can vote for whom they like. Which is why I always thought it should be renamed"player of the year" or "best player" award, which is what people think of when they look back at it.

Not really or else players on crap teams would win once in a while or Jordan would have won every year. MVP is pretty much whoever they wanna give it to and that's about it, us as fans can argue all we want but it's pretty useless because there's no set criteria.

Matter.
12-05-2013, 11:05 PM
This is a big part of what I do as well.

A quick example

Lebron off the Heat.. the Heat still make the playoffs.
Paul George off the Pacers.. the Pacers will make the playoffs only because the East is **** this year.

Heatcheck
12-05-2013, 11:10 PM

Lebron sits alot this year, especially in the third quarter, he's played three consecutive seasons with finals appearances plus the olympics. The heats goals are much different to those of the teams George and Aldridge are on. Its basically preservation, especially a guy like bron, who along with barrier (whose a year older) has to help compensate for the lack of size down low, especially in a playoff series against a team like the pacers who have legitimate big men down low (one of whom, as we saw last year, simply fouls the **** out of you down low everytime he gets the ball), which takes alot out of you.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-05-2013, 11:14 PM
As long as they don't give it to someone who has a top 3 team ever assembled in the weakest conference of all time, I'll be happy.

beliges
12-05-2013, 11:21 PM
The MVP is for the best player in the league that specific year.

That could not be further from the truth. More times than not the MVP does not go to the best player in the league. Its more for the best player on the best team.

chi-townlove1
12-06-2013, 02:06 AM
Paul George pretty easily for me here. For every reason the other logical people are saying. The Lebron love is disgusting. He's the best player in the world, get over it. He's not the MVP. The pacers are a much worse team without PG than the heat without Lebron, period. Your delusional if you think otherwise.

Shammyguy3
12-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Sham - just a question. Where does this utter hatred for L.A. Come from...? I mean I would gladly take him over most big men in the nba. And he is having a great season, granted his low fg %. But I think we need to stop nitpicking.

I don't hate LMA - he's a longhorn and I'm a pretty big Texas fan. I just hate that he's anywhere near this discussion. And no - it's not nitpicking. Nitpicking would be me saying "Oh he can't win it because his free throw percentage is below average" or something like that. When you are one of the least efficient players in the league with a high usage rate, that does NOT equate to positive value. Especially when you aren't playing defense and aren't a good rebounder. Aldridge is having his best rebounding season of his career yes, but he's also seeing by far his worst offensive rebounding rate of his career.

Aldridge right now is an average player that can get hot - a lot like Luol Deng. But Deng plays both sides of the ball.

ManRam
12-06-2013, 01:26 PM

As a player or as a candidate? Because if you're saying as a player, then people really gotta chill with the Paul George hype train...

ManRam
12-06-2013, 01:28 PM

No. It's not. It's an ambiguous award in which voters fall in love with story lines when there is one to fall in love with.

The only clear criteria I've noticed over the past 30 years is that the winner absolutely has to be on a top-3 team in their respective conference. And even still, the only guy to win it on a 3rd place team over that 30 year span was Jordan. Basically, it kinda is the best player on (one of the absolute) best team. The best player certainly doesn't win all the time...not even close. If that was the case we wouldn't even need this thread as LeBron would have it locked up :shrug:.

Sadds The Gr8
12-06-2013, 01:32 PM
To me it's straight forward. If Indiana finishes 1st and George continues scoring at this pace, he'll win it. If not, it'll go to James or Durant

jerellh528
12-06-2013, 01:58 PM
To me it's straight forward. If Indiana finishes 1st and George continues scoring at this pace, he'll win it. If not, it'll go to James or Durant

Pretty much this, except id also add that if the clips or blazers finish top 1-3 seed in the west you can't count out cp3 or lma.

TylerSL
12-06-2013, 03:52 PM

wow so you put Lebron down because you feel as if he doesnt shoot the ball to keep his averages up? First of all, I will tell you I actually watch the Heat games. Lebron is shooting the ball at a career low for two reasons. The first is because his minutes/game are the lowest of his career because he has been dealing with a back injury for like 2 weeks now and when he leaves the game early in the 4th quarter the bench has actually extended the lead and so he did not come back into the game. The second is because everybody doubles him so he gets the ball to open teammates who more than not, knock their open shots down. He only shoots the ball when he doesnt get doubled, because scoring isnt his concern, winning is.

And you can bold the part where I said the bench extends the lead so he doesnt need to come back into the 4th quarter, and say he has Wade/Bosh as reasons to why he should not win, but the fact of the matter is without Lebron James, Wade/Bosh stats would be higher as they would have to score more to win games but everybody on the team would be less efficient, and the role players would not look near as good as they do now. Lebron makes all the role players look 3x better than they really are, and lessens the load for Wade/Bosh. Add that to the fact that he only shoots the ball when he wants because he does not care about scoring 30 every game, even though he could very easily. Boasts a FG% and TS% that are big men levels, who only dunk and shoot layups. One of the premier defenders, and passers in this league, as well as guard 4 different positions, he does it all.

Lebron is the clear MVP. Just because you "feel" he pads his stats doesnt discredit anything he has done. He just plays the game so much better than anyone else in todays NBA.

jerellh528
12-06-2013, 03:59 PM

5ass
12-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Pretty much this, except id also add that if the clips or blazers finish top 1-3 seed in the west you can't count out cp3 or lma.

LMA is not on the other guys levels, not even close.

My List:
Bron
Durant
Cp3
George
Love
Curry
Howard
Parker
Aldridge
Lillard

Top 5= Tier 1, Bottom 5= Tier 2.

naps
12-06-2013, 04:47 PM
I don't play 2k and I've probably forgot more about basketball than you've ever learned. Why instead of throwing out useless statements and continuing to make yourself look like one of the biggest trolls in this forum, you post some substance into your posts.

Substance? What do you know of that? Ever heard a guy named Roy Hibbert who's been by far the best defensive player this year? The runaway DPOY? That guy anchors the defense of the best defensive team in the league, not Paul George. Don't claim anything unless you actually know what it is. #Stoptrolling

beliges
12-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Substance? What do you know of that? Ever heard a guy named Roy Hibbert who's been by far the best defensive player this year? The runaway DPOY? That guy anchors the defense of the best defensive team in the league, not Paul George. Don't claim anything unless you actually know what it is. #Stoptrolling

Cmon dude. PG is clearly the MVP right now along with Aldridge. Both are playing at an exceptionally high level and both have their teams at the #1 seed with lesser talent that LBJ right now.

5ass
12-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Cmon dude. PG is clearly the MVP right now along with Aldridge. Both are playing at an exceptionally high level and both have their teams at the #1 seed with lesser talent that LBJ right now.

Yet lebron is still outplaying both

ManRam
12-06-2013, 05:00 PM

This sounds like the argument made for Rose all over again.

Not a single mention of Indy's historically great defense...which I'd take over Wade any day. Even so, as great as Wade and Bosh are, they haven't been all that better than Hibbert and West, if at all. In Wade's case, mainly because of games missed. PG has two players with 2+ win shares playing with him, and 4 above 1.8. No one else on the Heat has more than 1.7. :shrug: Sure, it's an advanced stat that you'll dismiss because it says something you don't want to believe, but it is telling. PG has been getting more consistent help, especially if you pay attention to defense.

And LeBron isn't hurting his team :laugh2: The Heat have the third best offense in the NBA, despite a ton of injuries and inconsistent play outside of him.

I know you hate the dude, but come on. Be rational.

beliges
12-06-2013, 05:03 PM

Im not sure how that works when both Aldridge and PG have attained more success so far this season. Nobody is disputing that LBJ is the best player in the world. But having better stats does not necessarily translate into "outplaying" someone else. Aldridge and PG have garnered more success for their team than LBJ has for his. That is the epitome of MVP. Furthermore, if you factor in the talent level on each team, its a no brainer right now who the top two MVP candidates are.

Heatcheck
12-06-2013, 05:06 PM
No. It's not. It's an ambiguous award in which voters fall in love with story lines when there is one to fall in love with.

The only clear criteria I've noticed over the past 30 years is that the winner absolutely has to be on a top-3 team in their respective conference. And even still, the only guy to win it on a 3rd place team over that 30 year span was Jordan. Basically, it kinda is the best player on (one of the absolute) best team. The best player certainly doesn't win all the time...not even close. If that was the case we wouldn't even need this thread as LeBron would have it locked up :shrug:.

so we give awards for the best coach, the best rookie, the best bench player, the best defensive player, and the player who is most important to an elite team that year compared to the rest of his roster?

sounds pretty fu.cking stupid if you ask me. which why I assumed that the awards intent was to reward the best player that specific year, but that the sportswriters, in their endless power trip (ala the baseball HOF not letting anyone in on the first attempt) decided to play with the word "valuable" so it can fit it to whom ever they want to win the award.

In which case I say scrap it and just give out a "best player" award, or keep both.

furthurmoe, you cant be the best player if someone outplayed you that year, barring injury of course

ManRam
12-06-2013, 05:14 PM
so we give awards for the best coach, the best rookie, the best bench player, the best defensive player, and the player who is most important to an elite team that year compared to the rest of his roster?

sounds pretty fu.cking stupid if you ask me. which why I assumed that the awards intent was to reward the best player that specific year, but that the sportswriters, in their endless power trip (ala the baseball HOF not letting anyone in on the first attempt) decided to play with the word "valuable" so it can fit it to whom ever they want to win the award.

In which case I say scrap it and just give out a "best player" award, or keep both.

I don't disagree. The award is what it is. I wish it were merely "the best player award", but it's not...and never has. If it were, Jordan would have 7-8. LeBron would be working on his 6th in a row right now. Nash would have zero. Shaq would have more than one. And so on and so on.

The award is what it is. I used to focus on discussing the merits of it as well, but I'm over that. We can debate all day about what it should be, but nothing's going to change. It is what it is and I've resigned to recognizing that fact. If a lesser player steps up (PG) and his team finishes with a superior record than the league's best player (LeBron), than the guy probably is going to win the award. Why? Because it's not "the best player in the NBA award"; it's the silly little MVP...

beliges
12-06-2013, 05:16 PM

furthurmoe, you cant be the best player if someone outplayed you that year, barring injury of course

Not sure if you are new to how the NBA works but the MVP has never been a "best player" award. Similar to how the Coach of the Year is not a "best coach" award. The MVP is what its name designates it to be, the player that is the MOST VALUABLE. The player that leads his team to the most success is the most valuable.

Heatcheck
12-06-2013, 05:22 PM
like I said, I don't see the point of an such an award. pretty ****ing dumb.

ManRam
12-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Not sure if you are new to how the NBA works but the MVP has never been a "best player" award. Similar to how the Coach of the Year is not a "best coach" award. The MVP is what its name designates it to be, the player that is the MOST VALUABLE. The player that leads his team to the most success is the most valuable.

That's a good point. The COY has certainly never been awarded to merely the best coach. It's usually always the coach of a team that had a huge turn around. I mean, how many COY do Pops and Phil have?

ROY doesn't seem to factor in team success much, nor does bench player, so he has an argument there. DPOY is heavily dependent on team defense success though.

ManRam
12-06-2013, 05:26 PM
like I said, I don't see the point of an such an award. pretty ****ing dumb.

It often is :shrug:

I used to get really wound up about it, but there's no reason to. I'm over it.

All we can hope for is people to realize what it truly is. It's not the best player award, and people still pretend like it is or should be. I dream of a world where Kobe fans, for example, don't flip **** over the fact that he "only" has one. If they just understood what the award rewards and often how many external factors play into it outside of individual ability, then maybe they'd give up the fight.

5ass
12-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Im not sure how that works when both Aldridge and PG have attained more success so far this season. Nobody is disputing that LBJ is the best player in the world. But having better stats does not necessarily translate into "outplaying" someone else. Aldridge and PG have garnered more success for their team than LBJ has for his. That is the epitome of MVP. Furthermore, if you factor in the talent level on each team, its a no brainer right now who the top two MVP candidates are.

You keep talking about "talent level" when you should be talking about teammate contributions. Aldridge and PGs support contributed more to winning than Lebron's support.

John Walls Era
12-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Did some imbecile really think KD is worst than George LOLOLOL the idiots that you seen on PSD.

John Walls Era
12-06-2013, 07:38 PM

its the kind of stuff most of us would expect from a guy who can't even spell properly.

AllDay28
12-06-2013, 07:42 PM
As of today . I have

1. Paul George
2. LMA
3. Lebron
4. KD

beliges
12-06-2013, 07:42 PM
You keep talking about "talent level" when you should be talking about teammate contributions. Aldridge and PGs support contributed more to winning than Lebron's support.

How are you calculating that. The complete opposite can be said. Unfortunately for your point, the fact remains that PG and Aldridge have accrued more success so far this season than LBJ has. Thus, their value is higher for their respective teams than Lebron's is so far for the Heat.

ManRam
12-06-2013, 07:50 PM
its the kind of stuff most of us would expect from a guy who can't even spell properly.

Yeah...but...

Did some imbecile really think KD is worst than George LOLOLOL the idiots that you seen on PSD.

John Walls Era
12-06-2013, 07:55 PM
Yeah...but...

canadian keyboard.

pfft doesnt even know about that.

5ass
12-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Yeah...but...

Lol

5ass
12-06-2013, 10:44 PM
How are you calculating that. The complete opposite can be said. Unfortunately for your point, the fact remains that PG and Aldridge have accrued more success so far this season than LBJ has. Thus, their value is higher for their respective teams than Lebron's is so far for the Heat.

Thats pretty horrible reasoning. Bron is worth more wins to his team and impacts the game more than aldridge and george= more valuable.
I dont know how ur even mentioning lma. Hes nt in the conversation. He's not even best at his position. Bron and love are clearly better.

beliges
12-06-2013, 11:05 PM

Thats pretty horrible reasoning. Bron is worth more wins to his team and impacts the game more than aldridge and george= more valuable.
I dont know how ur even mentioning lma. Hes nt in the conversation. He's not even best at his position. Bron and love are clearly better.

So far this season both PG and Aldridge have been worth more hence their both #1 seeds. If LBJ leads his heat to a better record than PG leads his pacers then your argument will have validity.

bearsfan545590
12-06-2013, 11:45 PM
Patrick Ewing

5ass
12-07-2013, 01:05 AM
So far this season both PG and Aldridge have been worth more hence their both #1 seeds. If LBJ leads his heat to a better record than PG leads his pacers then your argument will have validity.

So the MVP has to get his team to a #1 seed, great argument.

naps
12-07-2013, 01:27 AM

Yeah because when it comes to LeBron whatever floats their boats at every particular time. I am not saying LeBron is the MVP right now but if you read their (some very specific posters btw) posts you know they are coming in with bunch of excuses, even when LeBron will have a clear lead over everyone else.

P&GRealist
12-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Yeah because when it comes to LeBron whatever floats their boats at every particular time. I am not saying LeBron is the MVP right now but if you read their (some very specific posters btw) posts you know they are coming in with bunch of excuses, even when LeBron will have a clear lead over everyone else.

Of course you're claiming that LeBron is the MVP right now. You just started off this topic by calling him the favorite.

beliges
12-07-2013, 02:36 PM

Not necessarily but it certainly helps a great deal. And when its between two players, the one that head lead his respective team to a better record is usually the MVP. I mean this is how its been forever.

ManRam
12-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Being a #1 seed is hugely important. It's the easiest way, and basically an absolute must, for an inferior player (i.e. everyone besides LeBron) to win it over a clear and consensus best player in the league (LeBron).

It's how Nash got his first. It's how Rose got his. It's how Iverson got his. Barkley got his over Jordan. It's the reason why Kobe won the year he did and not the years he didn't.

naps
12-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Of course you're claiming that LeBron is the MVP right now. You just started off this topic by calling him the favorite.

No I didn't call him the favorite RIGHT NOW. I said he's the most favorite one to win it in the end which is not out of the norm since they guy won it 4 times out of last 5. Don't put words into my mouth.

FOXHOUND
12-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Right now I would say it's LaMarcus Aldridge. He's currently leading Portland to just 1/2 games from the best record in the NBA after the Blazers were just 33-49 last year, which is impressive to say the least. Paul George has been fantastic as well, and while not too many would have the Pacers with the best record through 19 games it's not exactly earth shattering considering how well they played to finish the year while taking Miami to 7. Also have to consider how bad the east is compared to the west.

The Heat are still the most talented team in the NBA, yet currently have the 5th best record in the NBA despite playing in what so far in the worst conference in NBA history. They are currently 11-5 in said conference, I don't see how you can put LeBron James at #1 at this point of the season.

FlashBolt
12-08-2013, 02:15 AM
Right now I would say it's LaMarcus Aldridge. He's currently leading Portland to just 1/2 games from the best record in the NBA after the Blazers were just 33-49 last year, which is impressive to say the least. Paul George has been fantastic as well, and while not too many would have the Pacers with the best record through 19 games it's not exactly earth shattering considering how well they played to finish the year while taking Miami to 7. Also have to consider how bad the east is compared to the west.

The Heat are still the most talented team in the NBA, yet currently have the 5th best record in the NBA despite playing in what so far in the worst conference in NBA history. They are currently 11-5 in said conference, I don't see how you can put LeBron James at #1 at this point of the season.

He's not #1 because clearly they need a new headline. No one is playing better than James.

jerellh528
12-08-2013, 02:31 AM
No I didn't call him the favorite RIGHT NOW. I said he's the most favorite one to win it in the end which is not out of the norm since they guy won it 4 times out of last 5. Don't put words into my mouth.

Actually you didn't say that either, and didn't specify either way. But you did emphasize that's it's still early in the season and then proceeded to call Lebron the favorite, so one would assume you meant right now, or the time you made the thread. You don't have to be mean to the guy for picking that up from your basic context clues.

sammyvine
12-08-2013, 06:34 AM
i think the best player with the best record should get it

so far i have paul george, durant as the two favs

Nikeman
12-08-2013, 06:58 AM
This thread is a complete joke.... after reading these comments

LeBron James is better than Paul George in EVERY CATEGORY... Points, Reb, Assist, FG% etc etc... to those arguing PG plays on a worse team thats a joke. PG has Hibbert and West to anchor the defense on a team with a defensive identity, he is just their main scorer who shoots 20 shots a game.

If people are going to argue about record, then please... 18-2 in the East?? HAHAHAHAH... congrats. Give the MVP to LMA if that's the case. 18-2 in a conference with THREE teams above .500, and one of those teams is 11-10. Pacers are 12-1 against the East, feasting on weak competition. Portland is 17-4 playing in a conference whose 13th place team, is 9-11 and hovering right around .500. Please?? Paul George does NOT deserve MVP....

jerellh528
12-08-2013, 07:16 AM

LeBron James is better than Paul George in EVERY CATEGORY... Points, Reb, Assist, FG% etc etc... to those arguing PG plays on a worse team thats a joke. PG has Hibbert and West to anchor the defense on a team with a defensive identity, he is just their main scorer who shoots 20 shots a game.

If people are going to argue about record, then please... 18-2 in the East?? HAHAHAHAH... congrats. Give the MVP to LMA if that's the case. 18-2 in a conference with THREE teams above .500, and one of those teams is 11-10. Pacers are 12-1 against the East, feasting on weak competition. Portland is 17-4 playing in a conference whose 13th place team, is 9-11 and hovering right around .500. Please?? Paul George does NOT deserve MVP....

Lol Lebron fans getting all nervous about Paul George taking the torch. It's fine dude, Lebron is still the best player and should be for the next couple years.

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-08-2013, 08:24 AM
George
Aldridge
Durant
Lebron

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-08-2013, 08:26 AM

Tell that to Kobe 05-07

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-08-2013, 08:33 AM
If Kobe averages 24-7-6 and leads the lakers to a top 4 seed u have to give it to the man! Seriously though he missed to many games so kb is out all I know is this year someone else will get it besides lebron

beliges
12-08-2013, 01:15 PM
If Kobe averages 24-7-6 and leads the lakers to a top 4 seed u have to give it to the man! Seriously though he missed to many games so kb is out all I know is this year someone else will get it besides lebron

So far its looking like lebron wont get it. There are a couple of players that have been more valuable to their teams this season.

WES KOAST
12-08-2013, 01:20 PM
i think the best player with the best record should get it

so far i have paul george, durant as the two favs

to me its westbrook over Durant. Durant aint **** w/o westbrook

tredigs
12-08-2013, 01:23 PM
^Clueless comment of the day award goes to! ...

LoveMeOrHateMe
12-08-2013, 01:40 PM
So far its looking like lebron wont get it. There are a couple of players that have been more valuable to their teams this season.

This

ManRam
12-08-2013, 01:46 PM

No one is saying PG is better than LeBron (and ignore them if they are, because they're idiots). We know Lebron is better, you don't need to tell us.

You just need to realize that the MVP Award is not the Best Player in the NBA Award.

ManRam
12-08-2013, 01:59 PM

I know even you realize how unlikely that is, but just in case you don't...

Only once in an 82 game season has a player won it by playing in fewer games than what Kobe will play in, and it was Bill Walton. But Walton's team won the West. The next fewest for a winner was Iverson with 71.

Kobe's missed 19 games, almost 1/4th of the season. It would be the second most games missed in an 82 game season for an MVP winner. Mix in the fact that you're saying the Lakers would "only" be a 4th seed and there's no chance. Again, NO ONE in the last 30+ seasons has won on a 4th place team. That fact mixed in with the games missed means he'd have to do better than 24-7-6...he'd almost certainly have to be the best player in the league, and that's not happening.

albertajaysfan
12-08-2013, 03:30 PM
It's interesting how people will argue against the history of the award. No matter how mad you get on PSD it isn't going to change.

If George leads the Pacers to the best record he gets it over Lebron. The writers have historically shown they don't like to give too many MVPs in a row. Regardless of anyone's opinion of the matter it's still the way it is.
The writers also like a good story which is why Rose won his. George is putting together that story.

As for Aldridge, he is helping his team to some solid wins but he doesn't have the defense to beat out George or Lebron. Plus the only reason he is playing at this level is because Portland finally got a legit centre to cover the paint so LMA can roam wherever he wants. A la Dirk and Chandler during their championship season.

Lebron has another thing working against him. His numbers aren't that impressive for him. And as stupid as that is it will work against him having won so many already.

P&GRealist
12-08-2013, 03:43 PM
It's interesting how people will argue against the history of the award. No matter how mad you get on PSD it isn't going to change.

If George leads the Pacers to the best record he gets it over Lebron. The writers have historically shown they don't like to give too many MVPs in a row. Regardless of anyone's opinion of the matter it's still the way it is.
The writers also like a good story which is why Rose won his. George is putting together that story.

As for Aldridge, he is helping his team to some solid wins but he doesn't have the defense to beat out George or Lebron. Plus the only reason he is playing at this level is because Portland finally got a legit centre to cover the paint so LMA can roam wherever he wants. A la Dirk and Chandler during their championship season.

Lebron has another thing working against him. His numbers aren't that impressive for him. And as stupid as that is it will work against him having won so many already.

This is excellently well put.

ManRam
12-08-2013, 06:39 PM

We're on the same side of this...but I don't entirely agree. The formula is not THAT set in stone. There have been numerous times when winners have come from 2nd place teams.

If the Pacers have the best record, but the Heat are only a few games behind...that doesn't lock it up. If LeBron has another unimaginably good season and PG cools off a bit, I don't think PG gets it. PG's play has to be at a certain level to ensure he wins it.

But if Indy wins the East and PG's play is close enough to LeBron's, then yeah...he's definitely got a great shot to win.

naps
12-16-2013, 06:44 AM
Latest ladder (http://www.nba.com/mvp-ladder/) from NBA.COM

naps
12-16-2013, 06:46 AM
Can a MOD please sticky this? About time we have an MVP thread instead of having individual threads about LMA, George etc.

ManRam
12-16-2013, 10:31 AM
I think it's fair to put KD at the top right now. He's playing great, as usual, and OKC is on a torrid run right now.

Not 100% sure why Curry is ahead of Paul. And I know TP is on there because someone on the Spurs, who have been the best team in basketball, has to be there because of what the award is...but he really hasn't been playing at an MVP level.

beliges
12-16-2013, 01:16 PM
This is going to be a very tough year for LBJ to win the MVP. You got guys like Durant and George playing every bit as good while leading their respective teams to more success. Its a long season but right now I don't think lebron would even be the runner up. But time will tell.

Tony_Starks
12-16-2013, 01:53 PM
I think it will probably go down to the wire between George and KD. Lamarcus will be in the conversation but I need to see if Portland can keep up the winning...

sammyvine
12-17-2013, 08:57 AM
Lamarcus, George or KD for me

herewegocubbies
12-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Is your fantasy league over? Do you want to continue to play fantasy? Leagues are still available to draft today, sign up here http://tinyurl.com/lmpwe6s