PDA

View Full Version : Jarrod Saltalamacchia signs with the Miami Marlins

Celtic AL
12-03-2013, 07:49 PM
@JCRMarlinsbeat Update: Jarrod Saltalamacchia and #Marlins have agreed in principle to three-year, $21 millon contract
https://twitter.com/JCRMarlinsbeat/status/408019253435301888

An end to an era. #ThePerm

Tragedy
12-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Good riddance. Worst .270 hitter I've ever seen in my entire life.

penuch
12-03-2013, 08:23 PM
I give it a year and a half before he is traded off in some fire sale.

Tragedy
12-03-2013, 08:24 PM
I give it a year and a half before he is traded off in some fire sale.
Wow you're being generous.

One year.

-Lavigne43-
12-03-2013, 08:24 PM
That's because his .270 was all babip inflated, he's more of a .230 hitter. It's honestly impressive to only hit .270 with a .372 babip. He could be a disaster in that massive stadium when the only thing saving him from being a horrible player is his power.

theGhost-isGone
12-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Just curious but would this have happened if we extended him a QO? If he was truly unhappy about being benched in the WS, would he have declined his QO anyway, and would a team have been willing to give him a 3 year deal if they had to surrender a draft pick?

I know he had a career year and his numbers don't seem like they would hold up, but would one more year of Salty really been the end of the world? I guess we can compare and see between AJ and Salty this time next year and see for sure, but I'd be willing to bet the numbers are somewhat comparable.

AI
12-03-2013, 08:43 PM
He would of easily accepted his QO.

Celtic AL
12-03-2013, 08:53 PM
i can't believe their are people mad that we didn't resign him Its a smart move to let him go.

bagwell368
12-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Just curious but would this have happened if we extended him a QO? If he was truly unhappy about being benched in the WS, would he have declined his QO anyway, and would a team have been willing to give him a 3 year deal if they had to surrender a draft pick?

I know he had a career year and his numbers don't seem like they would hold up, but would one more year of Salty really been the end of the world? I guess we can compare and see between AJ and Salty this time next year and see for sure, but I'd be willing to bet the numbers are somewhat comparable.

3 for 21 or 1 for 13.....

obviously he'd be back here, no thanks

theGhost-isGone
12-03-2013, 10:41 PM
He would of easily accepted his QO.

I can see why he might considering the AAV he got on the Marlins deal wouldn't even come close to what his QO would have been, though I don't know the number off the top of my head. However, in one year he could completely diminish the value he build last season with us.

My question is what to do with Lavarnway now? We have one more spot on our 40 man roster if I'm not mistaken, I assume we have more than 1 move left. I don't see us resigning Napoli then calling it done, there's still bullpen help and a utility IF to acquire.

AI
12-04-2013, 06:49 AM
According to Speier, our offer to Salty was 2/$18M.

bagwell368
12-04-2013, 07:37 AM

Ugh. Glad he's gone.

Station 13
12-04-2013, 08:54 AM

Jarrod was really salty about the last 3 game.

Rivera
12-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Thank gawd! Good riddance!

RedSoxtober
12-04-2013, 03:07 PM
I can see why he might considering the AAV he got on the Marlins deal wouldn't even come close to what his QO would have been, though I don't know the number off the top of my head. However, in one year he could completely diminish the value he build last season with us.
He was very vocal about wanting to come back and seemed more upset that the Sox were not talking to him than about any sense of being snubbed in the WS. For 150-200% of the AAV he expected in FA he would have come back in a heart beat. The only one pining to get the band back together more is Napoli.

My question is what to do with Lavarnway now? We have one more spot on our 40 man roster if I'm not mistaken, I assume we have more than 1 move left. I don't see us resigning Napoli then calling it done, there's still bullpen help and a utility IF to acquire.
I'm not too concerned about the 40-man at this point. They've added some guys to protect them from the Rule V draft but they'll easily expose them (or others) to fill out the active roster. So, yeah, more than one move left.

As for Lavarnway, I can see one of two things. Option 1 is that he gets traded before opening day. I think this is the most likely option. Option 2 is that he gets moved to 1B with the hope that he can get his power stroke back. IMO it's hardly a coincidence that he lost his power when he devoted himself to catching full time; prior to 2012 he was a DH for half of his games.

About what I thought he'd get. I'm glad that WE didn't give it to him but I'm also surprised that he signed for a much lower AAV.

BostonSports96
12-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Good riddance

RedSoxtober
05-20-2014, 10:00 AM
Speier ran a retrospective on the 2013-14 offseason today that included this nugget that helps put the Sox' interest in Salty into perspective:

The Sox never made as much as a formal two-year offer to Saltalamacchia. The best that the team could do was a one-year deal that included a team option that would vest and become guaranteed for a second year if Saltalamacchia wasn't sidelined by a lower back injury. (The Sox had concerns in negotiations about the lower back issues that required Saltalamacchia to receive an epidural in September and again required treatment in the postseason.) Had the second-year vested and had Saltalamacchia hit all of the incentives in the deal, he could have earned as much as $18 million but the guarantee wasn't sufficiently compelling to motivate him to abandon his preferred pursuit of a three-year deal. More here (http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2014/05/20/red-sox-offseason-revisited-was-there-better-w).

todu82
05-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Interesting to read that and yeah Salty's not worth that much money.

bagwell368
05-20-2014, 10:58 AM
I also heard that the Coaches/Manager was put off by his behavior/leadership behind doors and in the clubhouse and field.

win red sox
05-20-2014, 06:20 PM
I also heard that the Coaches/Manager was put off by his behavior/leadership behind doors and in the clubhouse and field.

that's odd, I always got the sense that he was a clubhouse guy.