View Full Version : Red Sox, AJ Pierzynski agree to 1 year, $8.25M deal

Fukudome
12-03-2013, 09:08 AM
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 1m
aj pierzynski, red sox agree to a deal

Hmmmm.

EEasyA
12-03-2013, 09:12 AM
I'm watching Dennis and Callahan and Dennis just broke the news of the signing. Ninja Ben does it again.

bagwell368
12-03-2013, 09:50 AM
I have to think they wanted Hanigan more, but the Reds are known to ask for a lot in deals, so he must have been too expensive...

I wonder if they think Vazquez is closer then we do - I.E. ride AJP to the deadline and then go with Vazquez (much more likely if they have fallen out of the race).

The update said he makes a perfect platoon with Ross. I doubt that, catcher/pticher combo's tend to do better when they don't mess with it (not ever pitcher is like that, but enough are).

Tragedy
12-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Perfect Platoon for Ross, and should only be a one year deal. Perfect. With CV nearing his mlb debut, there was little need for Salty and his **** abilities.

RedSoxtober
12-03-2013, 09:57 AM
The Red Sox have agreed to a one-year deal with catcher A.J. Pierzynski. The deal was first reported by CBS Sports baseball writer Jon Heyman.

The Globe's Peter Abraham said on the Toucher & Rich show Tuesday morning that the Sox are viewing Pierzynski as a bridge to 23-year-old prospect Christian Vazquez. Abraham reported Monday night that catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia was unlikely to return to the Red Sox. According to Abraham, the Sox were hesitant to sign Saltalamacchia to a three-year deal with Vazquez waiting in the wings.

A 16-year veteran, Pierzynski batted .272 with 17 home runs and 70 RBIs in 134 games for Texas last season.Boston.com

SirHizz
12-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Not surprised, I thought it was gonna be either him, Hanigan or Iannetta.

Kinda like the move, he is what he is, a 1.5-2 WAR player. Can't go wrong on a 1 year deal. Just a bridge to get us to Swihart

EEasyA
12-03-2013, 10:17 AM
So who has the most potential between Swihart or Vazquez ? . Seems to me that a lot of fellow boston fans and media members are hyping these kids up to be the real. I'm very skeptical of it though.

RedSoxtober
12-03-2013, 10:46 AM
I think both kids have a lot of potential. Vazquez is a very solid defensive catcher. He's typically taken time to adjust to the pitching at each level but he's eventually caught on and hit enough to justify his place in the lineup. With plus defensive skills that's a pretty good lock on the catcher spot.

Swihart is more the offensive catcher but I have some doubts about whether or not he fills out enough to be a catcher.

homie564
12-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Vazquez has huge defensive potential. Swihart has really solid offensive potential. Some scouts have actually said Vazquez has a better arm RIGHT NOW than Yadier Molina... I don't believe that, but I've never watched him play so I can't say its 100% false.

jtchilln
12-03-2013, 11:08 AM
I read something yesterday talking about Swihart actually "growing into" a major league ball player. When he was draft out of HS he weighed 170lbs. When he finished his season this year he weighed in at 195. Looks like he's doing what he's supposed to and should eventually fill out.

sager729
12-03-2013, 11:12 AM
I laughed at this when I saw it because supposedly during their time in Chicago, Peavy and AJ didn't get along. I talked to people who were around and they said it was so overblown.

AJ fits in with the same plan that Cherington had last season. I like the fit.

Rivera
12-03-2013, 11:22 AM
I like the move! I'm down!

Melo15
12-03-2013, 11:31 AM
A.J. Pierzynski's one-year deal with Boston is for $8.25 million, pending a physical.

-Buster Olney

sager729
12-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Good deal for both sides.

MiamiBoy77
12-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Listening To AJ talk when he was doing the pregame for the World Series, I kinda thought he really liked the way our team was being built.

I think he fits in really well.

Welcome aboard!!

Station 13
12-03-2013, 12:25 PM
1 year as expected.

-Lavigne43-
12-03-2013, 12:39 PM
I can't say I like him, I wouldn't be surprised if his offense falls off a cliff since it relies entirely on slugging. Low, short term investment at catcher is the way to go though.

j-bay
12-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Buster says he has a .322 BA at Fenway.

-Lavigne43-
12-03-2013, 12:49 PM
I think both kids have a lot of potential. Vazquez is a very solid defensive catcher. He's typically taken time to adjust to the pitching at each level but he's eventually caught on and hit enough to justify his place in the lineup. With plus defensive skills that's a pretty good lock on the catcher spot.

Swihart is more the offensive catcher but I have some doubts about whether or not he fills out enough to be a catcher.

Vazquez is the guy they are counting on being there. When your defense is as good as his the bar is low for offense. He cut his K's down like crazy last year too. I'm not sold on Swihart either, and he's much farther away.

Vazquez has huge defensive potential. Swihart has really solid offensive potential. Some scouts have actually said Vazquez has a better arm RIGHT NOW than Yadier Molina... I don't believe that, but I've never watched him play so I can't say its 100% false.

In televised spring training games his arm was insane. Impossible to say without pop times or a radar, but Vazquez is 23, Yadi 31, so it wouldn't surprise me if he threw harder. I believe he works out with the Molina's during the offseason.

-Lavigne43-
12-03-2013, 12:58 PM
I would also bet on AJ outperforming Salty next year. Moving from Fenway to Miami/Minnesota will be another dip to his offense to go along with the massive dip in babip.

TragicallyHip
12-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Listening To AJ talk when he was doing the pregame for the World Series, I kinda thought he really liked the way our team was being built.

I think he fits in really well.

Welcome aboard!!

I noticed the same thing. Here's to hoping he strikes out half as much as Salty!

todu82
12-03-2013, 01:06 PM
I wanted this team to get a catcher and I'm glad this is the guy we settled on, great pickup for the team.

RedSoxtober
12-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Vazquez is the guy they are counting on being there. When your defense is as good as his the bar is low for offense. He cut his K's down like crazy last year too. I'm not sold on Swihart either, and he's much farther away.

I won't be surprised if Swihart changes positions.

Muttman73
12-03-2013, 03:02 PM
You guys will like AJ

mzg32
12-03-2013, 03:08 PM
I just hope he fits well in the clubhouse and don't mess with the chemistry we had last year

Muttman73
12-03-2013, 03:11 PM
He is abrasive for sure, but he had TWTW

j-bay
12-03-2013, 03:14 PM
.417 BA at Fenway last season

B'sCeltsPatsSox
12-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Perfectly fine with this.

Pedroia
12-03-2013, 03:35 PM
I like it. A solid vet on a 1 year deal bridging the gap to Vasquez.

RedSoxtober
12-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Some perspective from Peter Abraham @ Boston Globe.

Pierzynski played five years with David Ortiz when both were with the Twins and is a player Ortiz has long spoken highly of as a teammate.

Jake Peavy and Koji Uehara also played with Pierzynski. Peavy, in fact, once had a little dust-up in 2011. You can be sure the Red Sox checked in with Peavy on this.

Red Sox pitching coach Juan Nieves was with the White Sox for five years as bullpen coach when Pierzynski was their primary catcher. He offered a strong recommendation, according to insiders.

Nieves wields considerable influence in the Red Sox' decision-making process, something that was evident in the deals for Matt Thornton and Peavy. There is little chance the Red Sox would have signed a catcher their pitching coach thought was a bad guy.

The Red Sox just won the World Series and have a team of veterans, including tone-setters like Ortiz and Dustin Pedroia. In John Farrell, they also have an authoritative manager with a low threshold for nonsense. Pierzynski's personality likely won't be an issue, and if it becomes one, it'll be settled quickly.

Pierzynski has a reputation for intelligence, durability, playing hard, and playing to win. That sounds a lot like the players Ben Cherington gathered up last winter.

The bigger story here is the signal Cherington is sending. In refusing to sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia for three seasons, the general manager is showing faith in a farm system that is making a significant impact on the franchise.

The best point has got to be Nieves take on him. Clearly he wouldn't be here if those two could not get along.

AI
12-03-2013, 05:34 PM
I like that we're sticking with the plan instead of going out and signing people to ridiculous deals.

1 year for AJ? I'll take that.

Vincent33
12-03-2013, 05:57 PM
I like the deal. AJ's personality seems like it'll mesh well with the guys on the club. One of those 'love him on your team, hate him when he's on the other side' types. Fans will like him a lot here.

Lackeyfan41
12-03-2013, 06:26 PM
I would of rather had Hannigan and Bell than AJ for roughly the same price...

Dammit

Green_Monster
12-03-2013, 06:51 PM
I really like this deal. I think Pierzynski is the perfect platoon for Ross.

Celtic AL
12-03-2013, 07:31 PM
I like this move alot. Hes a Winner and his deal is a 1 year and 8+ mill? not bad.

Nomar
12-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Hate AJ as a person but good move

bagwell368
12-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Merloni was telling story after story on his show today about AJP. He also didn't skip AJP voted as baseball's most hated player. One story was when he got hit in his privates, the trainer went out and asked him how he felt and he kicked the trainer in the crotch and said "like that"...

filihok
12-04-2013, 12:29 AM
Buster says he has a .322 BA at Fenway.

.417 BA at Fenway last season
Next to meaningless.

He had 5 hits in 12 plate appearances in 2013
How about 2012? 3 for 13 .231
Here are AJ's yearly batting averages in Fenway:
*http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/split_stats.cgi?full=1&params=site%7CBOS07%7Cpierza.01%7Cbat%7CAB%7C

Kind of runs the gamut, no?

The most PA's AJ has had in a season in Fenway is 17. He's only had 121 in his career. 121 PA's just isn't enough of a sample to draw meaningful conclusions about a player's hitting

bagwell368
12-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Next to meaningless.

He had 5 hits in 12 plate appearances in 2013
How about 2012? 3 for 13 .231
Here are AJ's yearly batting averages in Fenway:
*http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/split_stats.cgi?full=1śms=site%7CBOS07%7Cpierza.01 %7Cbat%7CAB%7C

Kind of runs the gamut, no?

The most PA's AJ has had in a season in Fenway is 17. He's only had 121 in his career. 121 PA's just isn't enough of a sample to draw meaningful conclusions about a player's hitting

It depends on his hit chart. If he hits a lot of fly outs to deep LF LCF, they won't be outs here for instance. Or like CC if his power is to RCF, than this park is very bad for him. So, if his numbers and hit chart tend to sync up, than 121 PA's is quite enough to be useful for projections - once you take his age decline into consideration as well that is.

Melo15
12-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Merloni was telling story after story on his show today about AJP. He also didn't skip AJP voted as baseball's most hated player. One story was when he got hit in his privates, the trainer went out and asked him how he felt and he kicked the trainer in the crotch and said "like that"...

That's awesome :laugh2:

TragicallyHip
12-04-2013, 01:56 PM

What a dick move... :rimshot:

Soxfan85
12-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Sean_McAdam

Pierzynski said he had multi-year offers elsewhere, but "It was impossible to say no. In end, winning won out over everything."

I did call this in previous post about AJ coming here and everyone said nope hes cancer. I'm really excited that AJP is on the team always wanted him. Hes coming in with familiar faces. Pitching coach, David Ortiz and Peavy

Pedroia
12-04-2013, 06:33 PM
What a dick move... :rimshot:

I don't know, I think it sounds like a pretty ballsy move!

TragicallyHip
12-04-2013, 11:21 PM
I don't know, I think it sounds like a pretty ballsy move!

I need a 'tip of the cap' emoji and I needed it yesterday!

filihok
12-05-2013, 12:14 AM
if his numbers and hit chart tend to sync up, than 121 PA's is quite enough to be useful for projections - once you take his age decline into consideration as well that is.
Citation requested

I understand that certain players can benefit greatly from certain parks, but that's not evidence that 121 PA's means anything at all.

penuch
12-05-2013, 03:20 AM
I would of rather had Hannigan and Bell than AJ for roughly the same price...

Dammit

Money wise yes, but we also would have had to given up prospects or players. In the end the value is not the same. It's hard to compare a straight up FA signing and trades, because who knows what they would of asked of us.

penuch
12-05-2013, 03:23 AM
Here is his hit chart from Fenway last year. Pretty small sample size, mostly straight up center or down the rf line.

Hit chart (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/a.j.-pierzynski/hitchart/85217?q=a.j.-pierzynski)

bagwell368
12-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Citation requested

I understand that certain players can benefit greatly from certain parks, but that's not evidence that 121 PA's means anything at all.

I didn't say that AJP's hit charts proved he was above average or better in Fenway. I wrote if his hit charts backed that, than it would support/enhance (not exact language) the 121 PA's worth of data.

As an aside before CC even signed here, using his data in Fenway (about 2.5x more than AJP's) plus his hit chart I was able to predict his hitting in Fenway for the Sox quite accurately. Obviously it doesn't always work, but stats + physical evidence + park is clearly more to go on than just adjusted stats. Speaking of adjusted stats, anyone that looks at Beltre's spray charts in Seattle can see the average park adjustment for him were well short of working for him, and that formed that basis of my very strong arguments for him to be signed here, and as high as I had his numbers he did even better.

Here are his charts for 2012 and 2013. http://public.tableausoftware.com/views/SprayChartComparison/Player-YeartoYear?:embed=y&:display_count=y#1

It's clear that unless he starts using an inside out/oppo style of hitting the monster isn't going to help him much. His power is from the RF pole to bit right of dead center. The right hand half he can hit them out, the RCF-CF side - that's a long out mostly since the ball doesn't carry well there and it's very deep. If I was a pitcher I'd work him outside & over the plate w/ a mix of breaking stuff and try to bury him inside with fastballs under his hands, and shoulder high FB's over the plate. He's a good enough hitter he can crank 92 MPH fastball mistakes at a high percentage.

Another factor with him is age. His career in Fenway is: .322/.328/.424 with a very high BAbip of .373. I'd say it's a safe bet to say he'll be at or below his Fenway slash this year - which is very close his career OPS+ BTW.

My gut tells me he's going to be a mixed bag here at best.

RedSoxtober
12-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Another factor with him is age. His career in Fenway is: .322/.328/.424 with a very high BAbip of .373. I'd say it's a safe bet to say he'll be at or below his Fenway slash this year - which is very close his career OPS+ BTW.

My gut tells me he's going to be a mixed bag here at best.

The good news, IMO, is that even a deflation of his offense will be similar to what Salty did in his career year (fewer 2Bs, similar HR, putting the ball into play much more often). If he's even remotely close his big advantage defensively should prove to be a win for the Sox.

filihok
12-05-2013, 01:42 PM
If he's even remotely close his big advantage defensively should prove to be a win for the Sox.
Per Statcorner's pitch framing metric (http://www.statcorner.com/CatcherReport.php)
2013 AJ -11 runs, Salty -3
2012 AJ -7, Salty 7
2011 AJ 10, Salty 13
TOTAL AJ -8, Salty 17

Per Matt Klaasen's catcher defense ratings (http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2011/11/1/2497088/2011-beyond-the-box-score-catcher-defense-rankings)
2013 AJ +1 run, Salty -1
2012 AJ -4 run, Salty -1
2011 AJ -11 runs, Salty -7
TOTAL AJ -14, Salty -9

AI
12-05-2013, 01:50 PM
God this forum was much easier to swallow without this guy spewing his crap non-stop.

Celtic AL
12-05-2013, 02:02 PM
God this forum was much easier to swallow without this guy spewing his crap non-stop.

x2

-Lavigne43-
12-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Well it's true that AJ has always been thought of as bad defensively. I thought that was common knowledge. Who knows about pitch calling though.

filihok
12-05-2013, 02:19 PM

x2
I'll refrain from commenting upon your collective swallowing habits and instead say that crap is in the eye of the beholder.

You find relevant data to be crap, I find baseless conjecture to be crap.

AI
12-05-2013, 04:57 PM
That's why I went the ignore route. Eventually posting here will be no fun if everyone refuses to engage.

Will do the same.

Celtic AL
12-05-2013, 06:54 PM
i added him and his spam to the ignore list

PaudBall
12-07-2013, 12:01 AM
I'm not particularly excited about this signing. We didn't really have a choice, so I'm excited that we didn't panic and do anything crazy. I really didn't like Salty as a player, so I guess it is at least different than that.

Unless they think one of the young guys will be ready at some point next year, I expect they will keep Lavarnway since the catching duo has a combined age of 72. Yes, I realize I am the only one still expecting anything out of Lavarnway. I just felt like he hasn't gotten a real opportunity.

bagwell368
12-07-2013, 08:27 AM
I'm not particularly excited about this signing. We didn't really have a choice, so I'm excited that we didn't panic and do anything crazy. I really didn't like Salty as a player, so I guess it is at least different than that.

Unless they think one of the young guys will be ready at some point next year, I expect they will keep Lavarnway since the catching duo has a combined age of 72. Yes, I realize I am the only one still expecting anything out of Lavarnway. I just felt like he hasn't gotten a real opportunity.

I was with you on Lavarnway until recently. I think his best fit is some 2nd division club as a back-up having a couple of good years on offense at some point, but never making it as a good defensive catcher.

I think it's all about Vazquez. If he's ready by the ASG and one of the old guys is sucking or hurt he's liable to get the call over Lavarnway at that point.

I'm just glad to be done with Salty. He earned his money here - since he wasn't paid much, but he's one of my less favorite catchers in my time as a Sox fan.

bagwell368
12-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Since the start of 2010 BR has Salty at -7 Rdrs/yr and a 26% CS - since 2010 it has AJP for almost the same.

Offensively since 2010 (adjusted) JS is: .245/.309/.456; AJP is: .277/.312/.431

So on paper they are close, but AJP is in his decline, but Salty may have had his career year in '13 (and Miami will hurt him coming from Fenway). The chief issue is 1/8.25 vs 3/21. In that one factor AJP > JS from the Sox perspective. I'm not crazy about the guy, wanting to have signed Ruiz for 2 years, or dealt for Hanigan (whom was likely being over priced is my guess), but given the circumstances it was the best deal out there - so move on.

RedSoxtober
12-07-2013, 11:23 AM
I was with you on Lavarnway until recently. I think his best fit is some 2nd division club as a back-up having a couple of good years on offense at some point, but never making it as a good defensive catcher.

You may have responded to this when I mentioned it elsewhere, but what do you think about moving him to 1B? He had his best seasons with the bat when he was spending 50% of his time at DH. Maybe the time behind the plate is draining his legs? With the lack of any 1B of note in the system it could be worth the experiment.

PaudBall
12-07-2013, 02:08 PM

I think it's all about Vazquez. If he's ready by the ASG and one of the old guys is sucking or hurt he's liable to get the call over Lavarnway at that point.

I'm just glad to be done with Salty. He earned his money here - since he wasn't paid much, but he's one of my less favorite catchers in my time as a Sox fan.

I just think that's a big chance to take on the young catcher. If he comes out and struggles, and one or both of Ross and AJP go down we are in trouble. Could we survive with Butler for a month? I'm not so sure.

I wholeheartedly agree about Salty. He seemed like a good guy, but I despised every aspect of his game. The catcher position throughout baseballs seems like a mess in general, so it would be great if we have something in Vazquez.