PDA

View Full Version : Defense so far... surprised?

Goose17
11-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Side note; I'm coming off a very long day so forgive me for any typos.

There's been some interesting stats so far this season, but the defensive stuff has really caught my attention.

The leaders in Opponent FG% are;

1. Indiana (.392)
2. Chicago (.417)
3. Houston (.418)
4. San Antonio (.424)
5. Golden State (.428)
6. Oklahoma City (.431)
7. Charlotte (.434)
8. Denver (.437)
9. Phoenix (.441)
10. Portland (.446)

Leaders in opponent 3pt% are;

1. Portland (.310)
2. Boston (.318)
3. Phoenix (.324)
4. San Antonio (.333)
5. New York (.333)
6. Indiana (.336)
7. Toronto (.337)
8. Golden State (.348)
9. LA Clippers (.350)
10. Orlando (.353)

Leaders in PPG

1. Indiana (87.4)
2. San Antonio (90.1)
3. Charlotte (91.9)
4. Chicago (92.8)
5. Memphis (96.1)
6. Toronto (96.9)
7. Miami (96.9)
8. Boston (97.4)
9. Golden State (97.5)
10. Portland (97.6)

Leaders in BPG

1. Indiana
2. New Orleans
3. Houston
4. Lakers
5. Denver
6. Oklahoma City
7. Charlotte
8. Golden State
9. Phoenix
10. Utah

Leaders in DRtg

1. Indiana (94.43)
2. San Antonio (95.08)
3. Chicago (100.58)
4. Minnesota (100.80)
5. Golden State (101.44)
6. Oklahoma City (101.49)
7. Charlotte (101.73)
8. Phoenix (103.19)
9. Atlanta (103.97)
10. Toronto (104.39)

(11th Portland)
(29th New York)
(30th Brooklyn)

There are other things we need to consider such as the fouls committed/free throws allowed and turnovers etc, but as a general overview we can get an idea of who is playing high caliber defense right now and who isn't. (for those interested, the top 5 in turnover differential are Houston, Orlando, Chicago, Utah and Golden State).

The interesting parts for me are;

- Portland are 13-2, and looking at these stats it seems clear to me that even though I've only watched five of their games, they're becoming a very good defensive team and that is a big part of their success so far. If you have seen them play you would know this, but the jump is insane, they were one of the bottom ten in defense last year, now they're one of the top 10?

- Memphis are in the top 5 for opponents points per game and yet they don't even show up in opponents FG% or 3pt%, in fact they're 13th in 3pt% and 19th in FG% allowing opponents to score 45.6% from the field on average. They're also 17th in DRtg.

- San Antonio continue to amaze me, not only are they a top defensive team but they're killing it on offense, say what you want about individual talent etc, they are STILL the best team in the league imho.

- Although the Bulls have great interior defense, they allow the highest 3pt% of any team in the league. Allowing opponents to score just under 40% from deep.

- I haven't watched any Charlotte games, are they REALLY this good defensively?

What catches you guys by surprise this year?

IndyRealist
11-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Memphis is up there in PPG allowed solely because they play the slowest pace in the NBA. They're not playing good defense.

I may have to queue up some Charlotte games on League Pass. It would be interesting to see how tight their D is.

Goose17
11-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Memphis is up there in PPG allowed solely because they play the slowest pace in the NBA. They're not playing good defense.

I should have looked at pace, didn't even occur to me. Good call.

LAKobeBryant
11-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Source?

Goose17
11-27-2013, 01:10 PM
Source?

Seriously? Just go to any stats website.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2014_ratings.html

http://stats.nba.com/leagueTeamGeneral.html?MeasureType=Opponent&PerMode=PerGame&sortField=OPP_FG_PCT&sortOrder=ASC&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=30

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/team/_/stat/team-comparison-per-game/sort/avgPointsOpponent

Chronz
11-27-2013, 01:46 PM
Charlotte has had some weak competition but they are athletic at just about every position and Jefferson hasn't been around to muck it up enough yet. Biyombo might be rounding out into something, and MKG played stout defense last year so hes likely to improve even more. From what I remember reading in the draft bios is that Henderson was a decent man defender, they have decent pieces but I wouldn't have expected this start just yet.

Things can change quickly, Clippers were a great blitzing defense for the first stint of the season, then we fell back down to earth, well crashed down to earth (20th ranking or something)

WES KOAST
11-28-2013, 03:06 AM
Portland? phx is playing better d than blazers n they got spanked tonite w/o bledsoe

WES KOAST
11-28-2013, 03:09 AM
Side note; I'm coming off a very long day so forgive me for any typos.

There's been some interesting stats so far this season, but the defensive stuff has really caught my attention.

The leaders in Opponent FG% are;

1. Indiana (.392)
2. Chicago (.417)
3. Houston (.418)
4. San Antonio (.424)
5. Golden State (.428)
6. Oklahoma City (.431)
7. Charlotte (.434)
8. Denver (.437)
9. Phoenix (.441)
10. Portland (.446)

Leaders in opponent 3pt% are;

1. Portland (.310)
2. Boston (.318)
3. Phoenix (.324)
4. San Antonio (.333)
5. New York (.333)
6. Indiana (.336)
7. Toronto (.337)
8. Golden State (.348)
9. LA Clippers (.350)
10. Orlando (.353)

Leaders in PPG

1. Indiana (87.4)
2. San Antonio (90.1)
3. Charlotte (91.9)
4. Chicago (92.8)
5. Memphis (96.1)
6. Toronto (96.9)
7. Miami (96.9)
8. Boston (97.4)
9. Golden State (97.5)
10. Portland (97.6)

Leaders in BPG

1. Indiana
2. New Orleans
3. Houston
4. Lakers
5. Denver
6. Oklahoma City
7. Charlotte
8. Golden State
9. Phoenix
10. Utah

Leaders in DRtg

1. Indiana (94.43)
2. San Antonio (95.08)
3. Chicago (100.58)
4. Minnesota (100.80)
5. Golden State (101.44)
6. Oklahoma City (101.49)
7. Charlotte (101.73)
8. Phoenix (103.19)
9. Atlanta (103.97)
10. Toronto (104.39)

(11th Portland)
(29th New York)
(30th Brooklyn)

There are other things we need to consider such as the fouls committed/free throws allowed and turnovers etc, but as a general overview we can get an idea of who is playing high caliber defense right now and who isn't. (for those interested, the top 5 in turnover differential are Houston, Orlando, Chicago, Utah and Golden State).

The interesting parts for me are;

- Portland are 13-2, and looking at these stats it seems clear to me that even though I've only watched five of their games, they're becoming a very good defensive team and that is a big part of their success so far. If you have seen them play you would know this, but the jump is insane, they were one of the bottom ten in defense last year, now they're one of the top 10?

- Memphis are in the top 5 for opponents points per game and yet they don't even show up in opponents FG% or 3pt%, in fact they're 13th in 3pt% and 19th in FG% allowing opponents to score 45.6% from the field on average. They're also 17th in DRtg.

- San Antonio continue to amaze me, not only are they a top defensive team but they're killing it on offense, say what you want about individual talent etc, they are STILL the best team in the league imho.- Although the Bulls have great interior defense, they allow the highest 3pt% of any team in the league. Allowing opponents to score just under 40% from deep.

- I haven't watched any Charlotte games, are they REALLY this good defensively?

What catches you guys by surprise this year?

indy > Miami. okc > spurs

Goose17
11-28-2013, 05:40 AM

LOL.

OKC aren't even close to being as good a team.

Indy are slowly getting there.

Spurs are clearly the best team. When I say the best team, I'm talking about communication, team work, chemistry, selflessness.

lol, please
11-28-2013, 05:24 PM

LOL.

Spurs are clearly the best team. When I say the best team, I'm talking about communication, team work, chemistry, selflessness.

warriors > the rest. You will agree when the seasons over.

koreancabbage
11-29-2013, 12:03 AM
Toronto. playing better this year. coincidence that Bargnani is not on the team?

matt800
11-29-2013, 12:38 AM
Portland? phx is playing better d than blazers n they got spanked tonite w/o bledsoe

For whatever reason Phoenix is a team that Portland has a lot of trouble with. It is pretty crazy how bad they consistently play against Phoenix.

Phoenix is also a pretty good team this year compared to how a lot of people thought they looked.

soundjunkies2
11-29-2013, 01:01 AM
Surprisingly, the Lakers are 15th in DRtg. Like most I thought they'd be at the bottom this season.

Bishnoff
11-29-2013, 01:11 AM
Portland have had a very easy schedule so far, only 4 of their 13 wins have come against teams over .500.

matt800
11-29-2013, 04:10 AM
Portland have had a very easy schedule so far, only 4 of their 13 wins have come against teams over .500.

I am surprised people keep saying that when it is pretty debatable. It is the NBA and to win 11 in a row in any circumstance is saying something. They have had 4 back to backs all of them involving road games and have won them all. They have had a pretty packed schedule and it isn't statistically easy to win even against sub .500 teams in that circumstance. I get that it can be annoying and unrealistic when people over hype a win streak, but it's basically the same thing to dismiss it as nothing.

PurpleLynch
11-29-2013, 11:16 AM
I am surprised people keep saying that when it is pretty debatable. It is the NBA and to win 11 in a row in any circumstance is saying something. They have had 4 back to backs all of them involving road games and have won them all. They have had a pretty packed schedule and it isn't statistically easy to win even against sub .500 teams in that circumstance. I get that it can be annoying and unrealistic when people over hype a win streak, but it's basically the same thing to dismiss it as nothing.

I agree,look at the teams they went against:Phoenix(3 times),San Antonio,Houston,Sacramento(2 times),Detroit,Boston,Toronto,Brooklyn,Milwaukee,C hicago,Golden State and NY Kicks.

Spurs,Rockets,Golden State,Phoenix,Denver,Chicago are very good teams and they won them all,with the exception of Phoenix(2 losses,1 win) and Houston.So they went against 6 strong teams out of 12. And they had 4 back to back,that are really wearing for any team,unless you have an elite roster. Two back to back were: Denver-SA and Chicago-GSW. No kidding,they are impressing imo,considering their roster. The question is if they can keep up this pace with their current rotation for an entire season.

WES KOAST
11-30-2013, 01:16 AM
LOL.

yeah like I said okc > spurs

WES KOAST
11-30-2013, 01:20 AM
Surprisingly, the Lakers are 15th in DRtg. Like most I thought they'd be at the bottom this season.

sorry but the lakers are...well sorry.

nodantoni only cares about scoring. how he ended up coaching a storied franchise is beyond me

mightybosstone
11-30-2013, 01:38 AM
The Rockets keep getting called a terrible defensive team, but if you look at the numbers, they're far more indicative of a good team defense than a poor one. They hold opponents to a very low free throw percentage and are toward in the top in blocks and rebounds. The reason they're so low in opponents points per game is two fold: (1) They're dead last in opponents offensive rebounds, and (2) They're dead last (by a wide margin) in turnover differential.

If the Rockets could cut back on opponents' second chance opportunities and on turnovers, they have potential to legitimately be a top 10 defense.

WES KOAST
11-30-2013, 01:41 AM
The Rockets keep getting called a terrible defensive team, but if you look at the numbers, they're far more indicative of a good team defense than a poor one. They hold opponents to a very low free throw percentage and are toward in the top in blocks and rebounds. The reason they're so low in opponents points per game is two fold: (1) They're dead last in opponents offensive rebounds, and (2) They're dead last (by a wide margin) in turnover differential.

If the Rockets could cut back on opponents' second chance opportunities and on turnovers, they have potential to legitimately be a top 10 defense.

you cant be a top 10 d if you have harden, lin, parsons

mightybosstone
11-30-2013, 01:55 AM
you cant be a top 10 d if you have harden, lin, parsons

That's simply not true. Do you remember how many bad defensive players were on those Dwight Orlando teams? A lot. Also, Parsons is hardly a bad defender. He's one of the better defenders on the team. And Terrence Jones has been a huge asset on that end of the floor since he's been named a starter.

L8kers4life
11-30-2013, 02:14 AM
That's simply not true. Do you remember how many bad defensive players were on those Dwight Orlando teams? A lot. Also, Parsons is hardly a bad defender. He's one of the better defenders on the team. And Terrence Jones has been a huge asset on that end of the floor since he's been named a starter.

But Dwight is not the same player he was in Orlando,so he cant clean up all the mistakes. Really just Lin and Harden are the problem on D. But the Rockets offense is legit, they will struggle in grind it out games with contenders, but overall I would agree with you your team D is pretty good.