PDA

View Full Version : Does Thibs Walk? Where does he go?

torocan
11-25-2013, 02:42 PM
Lots of chatter on Chicago radio about Thibs possibly walking. Apparently the question is whether Thibs has the patience to wait for a full team rebuild.

Does Thibs walk?
Where does he go?

Personally I think there's a good chance that Thibs heads for the exits. He's a play off contender level coach, and he's wasted on a bunch of rookies no matter how highly drafted.

As for where he ends up, I have no idea....

Thoughts?

BK-TY
11-25-2013, 02:50 PM
"Staaaaaaaart spreadinnnn the news. Heee's leavin' today. Thibs wants to beeee a part of it..." LOL:p:rolleyes::cool:

Pierzynski4Prez
11-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Considering he just signed a 4 year extension paying him over 17.5 million for 4 years, I doubt he walks away from that.

TheNumber37
11-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Considering he just signed a 4 year extension paying him over 17.5 million for 4 years, I doubt he walks away from that.

This.
I'd love to see what Thibs can do for the Knicks troubles. Can he turn even them into elite defenders. If he does leave, not sure where he'd land.. a lot of teams have got new coaches and the bubble teams like Portland and Minnesota are actually playing well.

torocan
11-25-2013, 03:14 PM

The Bulls might not have a choice.

Do you *really* see Thibs tanking? Thibs is one of those coaches that just doesn't know how to put a bad product on the floor. If you want to tank you don't want Thibs to be coaching at $4M a year. Heck, he can get a group of scrubs into the play offs in the East.

Doc Rivers had a contract too, but the Celtics still let him walk (for lots of nice stuff).

KnickaBocka.44
11-25-2013, 03:15 PM
If I were Steve Mills, I'd throw 5 years / $30 million at him. That would force him to think about it.

ramsizzle
11-25-2013, 03:29 PM
he cant leave .... if you want to trade the bulls a star for him then sure. But i don't see it.

Pierzynski4Prez
11-25-2013, 03:34 PM
The Bulls might not have a choice.

Do you *really* see Thibs tanking? Thibs is one of those coaches that just doesn't know how to put a bad product on the floor. If you want to tank you don't want Thibs to be coaching at $4M a year. Heck, he can get a group of scrubs into the play offs in the East.

Doc Rivers had a contract too, but the Celtics still let him walk (for lots of nice stuff).

Just because Doc did it doesn't mean the Bulls would. He signed a contract with the Bulls. He can retire, or he can coach with the bulls. That contract works both ways, where he can't just opt out of it whenever he wants and go coach wherever he likes. The bulls can come to an agreement with Thibs but then they are likely on the hook for most of 17.5 million on top of paying a new coach. I can't see how that would ever happen.

torocan
11-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Just because Doc did it doesn't mean the Bulls would. He signed a contract with the Bulls. He can retire, or he can coach with the bulls. That contract works both ways, where he can't just opt out of it whenever he wants and go coach wherever he likes. The bulls can come to an agreement with Thibs but then they are likely on the hook for most of 17.5 million on top of paying a new coach. I can't see how that would ever happen.

Actually, they can nullify the contract if both sides agree to it. Any contract can be nullified if all parties agree.

The question is whether Thibs want out, whether the Bulls would be willing to entertain the idea, and what it would take to make the deal work. Picks, players, or a handshake, nobody knows.

However, I think if Thibs really wants out, I wouldn't be completely shocked if the Bulls FO was willing to make it happen versus paying Thibs $4m/year to coach a bunch of draft rookies to tank.

Heatcheck
11-25-2013, 04:09 PM
The Lakers. plain and simple. the one team I KNOW has the money to a)offer him enough to consider leaving, and b) pay whatever the bulls want to release him from his current deal.

Shmontaine
11-25-2013, 04:20 PM
not gonna happen... plain and simple.

Muttman73
11-25-2013, 04:36 PM
Thibs has too much class to go to NY

TheMightyHumph
11-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Proky can pay Thibs $15 mil a year, which is what should have been done in the 1st place, but Thorn was out to screw the Nets.

Nice to see Thorn screwed the Sixers also.

Goose17
11-25-2013, 05:41 PM
I honestly thought this was about his health "Does Thibs walk" as in, does he go for a walk around the block and then "where does he go?" seemed like a really odd follow up question.

I'm bitterly disappointed that it's not what I expected.

AddiX
11-25-2013, 05:49 PM
Thibs loves his boring *** roster/team the way it is, he's not going anywhere.

He will Keep this unit together forever in Chicago.

Big Zo
11-25-2013, 06:03 PM
I always thought he looked like a butcher, so maybe he'll go work at a butcher shop.

rockets-fan
11-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Come back to houston, get this team to play some defense

dtmagnet
11-25-2013, 07:05 PM
I honestly thought this was about his health "Does Thibs walk" as in, does he go for a walk around the block and then "where does he go?" seemed like a really odd follow up question.

I'm bitterly disappointed that it's not what I expected.

:clap:

DaBear
11-25-2013, 07:08 PM
He won't go anywhere, especially the Knicks.

HYFR
11-25-2013, 08:17 PM
He won't go anywhere, especially the Knicks.

Calm down champ, no one is taking your coach lol

Rndy
11-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Never ever ever ever listen to anything the Chicago media has to say. Chicago sports have been dreadful they have to try and create some type of BS story to get people to listen when there is nothing to listen to. Thibs just signed his deal when the season ended. The Bulls don't need a full rebuild they can do a lot if they are able to trade some guys for assets and picks. Bulls are doing the smart thing and getting out the lux tax and having a young cheap core allowing them to go after a max type player to take pressure off of Rose.

They have Rose-Noah-Butler-Mirotic add draft picks to that and the amount of money coming off the Books if you're able to get rid of Boozer, Gibson, and Deng that is a lot of money going away allowing them to add to there already young core.

EL_MACHETE
11-25-2013, 09:16 PM
It would be Awesome if he came to Okc

deaner
11-25-2013, 09:43 PM
Toronto could pay him.

sunsfan88
11-26-2013, 02:44 AM
The Bulls FO and him apparently have a huge rift so maybe.

jp611
11-26-2013, 02:58 AM
Chicago talk radio is full of DUMB.

They don't even use logic. Thibs just signed an extension. He can't just breach his contract.

Phenomenonsense
11-26-2013, 03:28 AM
Love to have him in Detroit.

Mitch Kramer
11-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Love to have him in Detroit.

So he would leave one pile of suck, to go to a horrible city to coach another pile of suck? try again. Although i sure hope the pistons beat the bulls in their upcoming game. Need all the lotto balls we can get our hands on.

uptown0364
11-26-2013, 02:10 PM
There are no other jobs in the NBA right now with coaching availability that are in a better position than the Bulls. Name me one team that needs a new coach that has:

*Good cap space this Summer
*The best player in Europe coming over this Summer
*The Bobcats draft pick possibly in this draft
*A good pick in this draft now that the team is in a mini rebuild
*A few potential trade pieces that could bring more assets

Even if he doesn't want a bunch of rookies those are trade pieces they possess that many teams don't have. Oh yeah and he has a 4 year contract.

Pierzynski4Prez
11-26-2013, 02:12 PM

Actually, they can nullify the contract if both sides agree to it. Any contract can be nullified if all parties agree.

The question is whether Thibs want out, whether the Bulls would be willing to entertain the idea, and what it would take to make the deal work. Picks, players, or a handshake, nobody knows.

However, I think if Thibs really wants out, I wouldn't be completely shocked if the Bulls FO was willing to make it happen versus paying Thibs $4m/year to coach a bunch of draft rookies to tank.

That is 100% speculation that really if you think about it makes sense for nobody involved.

First, why do we just assume the front office wants to lose? Second, why would our front office let a top 3 coach in this league out of a 4 year contract months into it. Thibs just finished taking this team to the 2nd round, where only 8 teams make it to. Why would anyone working in this organization want anything less than that?
And where is Thibs going to go that is so much better? Does Miami or Indy have openings? Okc? SA? He'd have to go to a team likely worse than the bulls.

And finally, people should stop assuming the bulls are just going to "tank." They are going out there and trying to win every game, guaranteed. This same injury plagued team without rose is still a second round team. They will likely dangle Deng since he is likely leaving and expendable because of Butler to acquire someone to help our backcourt, but other than that I would bet anyone there isn't some firesale like many people think.

O_Touro
11-26-2013, 02:40 PM
Never ever ever ever listen to anything the Chicago media has to say. Chicago sports have been dreadful they have to try and create some type of BS story to get people to listen when there is nothing to listen to. Thibs just signed his deal when the season ended. The Bulls don't need a full rebuild they can do a lot if they are able to trade some guys for assets and picks. Bulls are doing the smart thing and getting out the lux tax and having a young cheap core allowing them to go after a max type player to take pressure off of Rose.

They have Rose-Noah-Butler-Mirotic add draft picks to that and the amount of money coming off the Books if you're able to get rid of Boozer, Gibson, and Deng that is a lot of money going away allowing them to add to there already young core.

Saving some Money and signing a Top player to add to that Rose-Noah-Butler-Mirotic and picks plan is the best road to take. Not easy though.

What Top players are avaible in FA for us? Turner, Dirk?

IDunknown
11-26-2013, 03:25 PM
If I were Steve Mills, I'd throw 5 years / $30 million at him. That would force him to think about it.
Wouldn't Mills have to get permission from Chicago to even talk to him?

JNA17
11-26-2013, 05:07 PM
The Lakers. plain and simple. the one team I KNOW has the money to a)offer him enough to consider leaving, and b) pay whatever the bulls want to release him from his current deal.

Oh god yes please! He would be perfect.

Lakers getting yet another future hall of fame coach would be amazing! :clap: