PDA

View Full Version : Bob Pettit - A Will To Win (13 min Bob Pettit footage)

CavaliersFTW
11-24-2013, 07:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdeiZRW7gSo

I've put together as much footage as I can to try and show how he played the game and what he accomplished while playing.

DreamShaker
11-25-2013, 12:08 AM
Awesome. Thanks for sharing. Haven't seen much footage of him.

DreamShaker
11-25-2013, 12:15 AM
BTW, are you the Wilt archive guy?

CavaliersFTW
11-25-2013, 01:35 AM
BTW, are you the Wilt archive guy?

Yeah that is my channel :cheers:

DreamShaker
11-25-2013, 02:35 AM

Dude! One of my absolute favorite channels on YouTube! I have several videos set as favorites. Kudos, man!!

DreamShaker
11-25-2013, 02:38 AM
And Pettit was a true beast. So underappreciated and ahead of his time.

PurpleLynch
11-25-2013, 08:46 AM
Dude,I'm one of your biggest fan. Subscribed to your channel a long time ago. Thanks for the footage!

PurpleLynch
11-25-2013, 08:51 AM
Damn the Nba of that era was violent ahah

bagwell368
11-25-2013, 10:20 AM
He was before my time, but at the time of his retirement until Dr. J's prime he was considered the best forward of all time with the possible exception of Baylor, and probably Havlicek in 3rd.

The NBA was very tough, and guys that went airborne got cut a lot.

If his rookie year was the same as Russell's and he was a Celt, he would have won 8+ titles - only his shortish career cutting him short.

BTW, nice work.

CavaliersFTW
11-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the support guys, anyone else see a lot of Bob Pettit's approach to the game in Kevin Love? Both stretch 4's who have incredible rebounding prowess.

asandhu23
11-25-2013, 06:32 PM

huge fan, dude.

Pablonovi
11-26-2013, 06:30 PM
What a wonderful service you have performed with this video (and with the Wilt ones). I did get to see the end of Pettit's career. But I mostly remembered it because my dad (who might have been somewhat of an expert o the NBL, BAA-NBA (he studied everything available and had well-reasoned analysis) saw all of it, and the thing he and I did the most indoors was watch the NBA (what little of it was televised) and talk about it. After Mikan, who he taught me about the most was Pettit. To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time (thru 56 years of NBA-fanhood) that I've even seen extended footage of him. It brought tears to my eyes, because in so many of these scenes/highlights I could finally fully visualize what my dad had done (I now fully realize) such an excellent job describing.

Thanx and Kudos.

Pablonovi
11-26-2013, 06:34 PM

Hey CavaliersFTW,
Two thoughts:
1) I may have watched (often more than once) your entire Wilt archive. I have him ranked GOAT #4 for a number of reasons, including being THE greatest athlete (any and all sports included) of the 1900s AND THE most dominant NBAer of any epoch. Your archive brought it all back to me: he was the quickest, fastest, strongest and had the most stamina of anybody in the league.

2) Where have you been? Meaning: what's (finally) brought you here to PSD? (I bet lots of people here would like to hear about this.)

CavaliersFTW
11-27-2013, 01:52 AM
What a wonderful service you have performed with this video (and with the Wilt ones). I did get to see the end of Pettit's career. But I mostly remembered it because my dad (who might have been somewhat of an expert o the NBL, BAA-NBA (he studied everything available and had well-reasoned analysis) saw all of it, and the thing he and I did the most indoors was watch the NBA (what little of it was televised) and talk about it. After Mikan, who he taught me about the most was Pettit. To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time (thru 56 years of NBA-fanhood) that I've even seen extended footage of him. It brought tears to my eyes, because in so many of these scenes/highlights I could finally fully visualize what my dad had done (I now fully realize) such an excellent job describing.

Wow, I never imagine to get responses like this but it makes my time spent making these seem very worth while to me. Thank you so much for sharing this story this will keep me motivated to keep producing new highlights of different players.

Hey CavaliersFTW,
Two thoughts:
1) I may have watched (often more than once) your entire Wilt archive. I have him ranked GOAT #4 for a number of reasons, including being THE greatest athlete (any and all sports included) of the 1900s AND THE most dominant NBAer of any epoch. Your archive brought it all back to me: he was the quickest, fastest, strongest and had the most stamina of anybody in the league.

2) Where have you been? Meaning: what's (finally) brought you here to PSD? (I bet lots of people here would like to hear about this.)

I have made accounts on several basketball/sports message boards and generally post a litttle bit of content everywhere just to spread the topics around to gauge the level of interest. I know there are a few people here interested in these vids so I do post here occasionally - perhaps I should get more involved, thanks.

BTW, one of the current projects I'm working on is a documentary on prime Wilt Chamberlain - here's a short test sequence of some prime Wilt's highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGTPDA3uAYA

Pablonovi
11-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Wow, I never imagine to get responses like this but it makes my time spent making these seem very worth while to me. Thank you so much for sharing this story this will keep me motivated to keep producing new highlights of different players.

I have made accounts on several basketball/sports message boards and generally post a litttle bit of content everywhere just to spread the topics around to gauge the level of interest. I know there are a few people here interested in these vids so I do post here occasionally - perhaps I should get more involved, thanks.

BTW, one of the current projects I'm working on is a documentary on prime Wilt Chamberlain - here's a short test sequence of some prime Wilt's highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGTPDA3uAYA

Hey CavaliersFTW,
I have one word for you ...

More, More, More, More, More, More, (etc.)

Please, Please, Please, Please, Please (etc.)

I lied, make that two words.

Heck, make it three ...

Pretty Please !

P.S. A suggestion? I know you have most if not all of this in various videos, but:

What about a single video in which all Wilt's All-Time Greatest Qualities are listed and documented, like: quicks/explosiveness (high jump, top of the backboard ball-touches, jump-balls); speed (100yard dash, 400 yards, length of court runs); strength (lifting up two players simultaneously by their shirts); blocks (we hear so little about this - I BET he blocked more shots career-wise, and per game than anybody and by a lot); assists, etc.

Sort of make the best case possible for ranking him near the top of the NBA GOAT All-Time Top 10.
I've got him at #4 (behind KAJ, Magic, MJ, and just ahead of LeBron; with a small gap between each of the 5).

P.S. That was Rick Barry, wasn't it, talking about Wilt's 50.4 a game, saying something like, I'd have to average 15 more points a game than I did when I averaged ...

btw, What other NBA-ers commented about Wilt?

tredigs
11-28-2013, 05:51 AM
Wouldn't it be fun to see All Star Games nowadays where everyone tried like these? If more of the leagues superstars had Pettit's approach to the game it would be such an amazing product.

Anyway, I've always loved hearing/seeing more of Pettit and that was some great footage + editing. Thanks man.

Pablonovi
11-28-2013, 05:33 PM
He was before my time, but at the time of his retirement until Dr. J's prime he was considered the best forward of all time with the possible exception of Baylor, and probably Havlicek in 3rd.

The NBA was very tough, and guys that went airborne got cut a lot.

If his rookie year was the same as Russell's and he was a Celt, he would have won 8+ titles - only his shortish career cutting him short.

BTW, nice work.

Hey bagwell368,
I agree Pettit could have racked up a bunch of Chips if he "replaces" Russ on the C's All-Star Team. He was great enough, complete enough.

A comment about the toughness back then.
I have very frequently marveled (if that's the right word) at how fans who didn't experience the NBA back then strongly believe that some other era (for example MJ's) was the toughest ever. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Centers and (less so) other big men dominated to a extra extent (above and beyond subsequent eras) because play was SO physical, and so "near-the-rim". There was much more "blood on the tracks"; because nobody "drove for free". There was decidedly more fighting too.

It's a real challenge, with no easy solution at all, to somehow ensure that, with each passing generation, that the work of the previous ones is appropriately appreciated (i.e., neither over-glorified, nor under-recognized).

The most problematic eras in this regard are the earliest. THE earliest had virtually no TV at all; tiny and often negative publicity. Previously, professional b-ball leagues had sequentially risen and disappeared. There was no guarantee that that wouldn't be repeated. The league was clearly considered minor compared to baseball and football; and rightfully so.

Following the earliest period, we had the infrequent coverage WITH the tape-delays (talk about frustration); even for the playoffs; and then a rise in negative publicity.

More recently, starting with Magic-Bird, sky-rocketing with MJ (all positive publicity all the time); and on into the cable-tv, internet, streams, youtubes, and "chat-rooms" like PSD - coverage is NOT the problem anymore (though un-equal coverage vs small markets still is).

Youtubes such as the OP's Pettit one (and his Wilt Archive) are a HUGE and irreplaceable addition to present and future fans' historical understanding of the game.

Commentary by "old-timers" / witnesses / people such as yourself, done with a pretty-objective perspective *, thoroughly researched and analyzed is another invaluable contribution. You're almost an encyclopedia and much appreciated. Keep up the good work.

* There is no such thing as 100% objectivity when applied to Cultural aspects of society such as sports including the NBA. The best fans can hope for is the least-subjective approach possible. imo you come as close as just about anybody I've seen (a few sharp disagreement not-withstanding).