PDA

View Full Version : LBJ + the Future

JasonJohnHorn
11-24-2013, 06:50 PM
When LBJ's contract was on its last season in Cleveland, talk never subsided about what he was planning on doing. The same happened with Melo and Dwight. LBJ is back in the same situation, but there is relatively little talk going on about the pending offseason. This is likely because LBJ is on a contender and is fresh off his second title, but that said, he could put himself in a better position to win this offseason is he moves.

It is likely that he will opt out, if for no other reason than to re-up with Miami for the max-deal he should be getting. This is the most likely scenario, but if he did move, what team (if any) would give him a better situation to win than Miami? And let's forget about capspace for this scenario.

blahblahyoutoo
11-24-2013, 06:56 PM
LA, but he's staying in MIA.

ManRam
11-24-2013, 06:57 PM
There are a TON of teams that provide better opportunities for sustained success in the future if we're ignoring cap space. Probably a good 10-15+ teams. I don't think it's worth ignoring cap space. Put LeBron on Indy, OKC, LAC, Houston, GS etc....even Chicago and those teams, and no one is beating those teams. 2-3 years from now if he's on a lot of those younger teams (Cleveland, Washington, Minny, NOLA) he's probably better off.

Even the Lakers, who have literally nothing long-term, probably is a better fit with the cap space and location in the long run.

I think he stays, but I don't think that's the best move for him individually.

P&GRealist
11-24-2013, 07:05 PM
He is well-protected in Miami, the media of South-Beach has his back, Pat Riley has his back. Why would he want to go elsewhere?

ManRam
11-24-2013, 07:08 PM
He is well-protected in Miami, the media of South-Beach has his back, Pat Riley has his back. Why would he want to go elsewhere?

I think the people will have his back wherever he goes. Hell, put him on the Lakers and I think they'd instantly have his back too. Why wouldn't they?

bholly
11-24-2013, 07:17 PM
It would be a huge shock to me if he left Miami for anywhere other than Cleveland, and even then I think we overrate the probability because of how cool it would be. The only other move I could maybe see is to one of the New York teams, but that doesn't work given their situations this offseason. Unless he's suddenly best buddies with Steph Curry or something? I really can't see any reason he'd go to LAL, unless he has other friends he wants to team up with that we just don't know about. That seems more like a move for Melo.

KnicksorBust
11-24-2013, 07:30 PM
I have said it before and I will say it again. Heat are winning 4 titles in 5 years. This year will be the 3peat. And nobody leaves a dynasty.

bholly
11-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Also, FWIW, I'm not sure he actually gets more money if he opts out and re-ups. At the moment he's getting raises equal to $1,522,500, or 10.5% of his initial $14,500,000 salary, which means the following:

2013-14 19,067,500
2014-15 20,590,000
2015-16 22,112,500

If he re-signs the most he can get next year is 105% of his 2013-14 salary, which means a $953,375 raise to $20,020,875 followed by annual raises of 7.5% of that, ie $1,501,566. So he'd be getting the following:

2013-14 19,067,500
2014-15 20,020,875
2015-16 21,522,440

So re-upping costs him over a million over the next two years, not to mention costing him the flexibility he currently has. Of course a new full-length contract would give him more years and more security, but I think he's probably assuming he'll still be worth a new max in 2016, in which case it makes even more financial sense to wait - because his new 2016-17 salary on a new max contract would be $23,218,125 with $1,741,359 annual raises until 2020-21, instead of the $23,024,006 with raises of $1,501,566 until 2018-19 if he re-ups this offseason.

In short, it actually costs him money to opt out and re-up, as well as flexibility over the next two off-seasons. If he's really worried about breaking down dramatically in the next two years then it could make sense, but otherwise it's pretty dumb.

Of course in theory that could change a bit if revenues go up enough that the 35%-of-the-pseudo-cap max exceeds his 105%-of-his-previous-salary max, but a quick and dirty calculation says BRI would have to go up more than 7% just to get them equal for next year, and that's ridiculous (and ignores that he'd still then get a lower raise for the next year).

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think so - I don't think he makes more money by opting out and re-upping. He'd gain some medium-term security, but lost a bit of money and a lot of flexibility. Seems unlikely to me that he opts out unless he's genuinely thinking of leaving.

5ass
11-24-2013, 07:45 PM
He should go to indiana to play with george and hibbert.

bholly
11-24-2013, 07:45 PM
I have said it before and I will say it again. Heat are winning 4 titles in 5 years. This year will be the 3peat. And nobody leaves a dynasty.

Probably the reason you're having to say it multiple times is because that sort of prediction can't possibly be backed by anything objective, and has to just be your own guess, so it doesn't mean much to other people.

KnicksorBust
11-24-2013, 07:55 PM

Probably the reason you're having to say it multiple times is because that sort of prediction can't possibly be backed by anything objective, and has to just be your own guess, so it doesn't mean much to other people.

:laugh:

Dade County
11-24-2013, 08:47 PM

I think they are winning 5 titles in a row (then it's someone's else's turn)... Thats the only way they can tie/trump Jordan Bulls having had, two 3 peats.

blah blah blah, Lbj scripted legacy.

Dade County
11-24-2013, 08:52 PM
He should go to indiana to play with george and hibbert.

Why? Is that the best fit for him? Or are you tired of him being on the HEAT?

jerellh528
11-24-2013, 08:53 PM
Which team would give him the best chance to win? That's what's wrong with the nba. The real question should be , which team can he go to and help the team have the best opportunity to win.

Dade County
11-24-2013, 09:01 PM
Teams...

Houston:

If they have the money to sign him outright, Lbj should take a look at them (but they would have to upgrade at the coaching position).

OKC:

If they can trade westbrook, pick up some sharp shooters and make sure they can pick up a center; then damn, KD & Lbj side by side is ****ing dangerous... That is why I think, KD will be playing for the HEAT when his contract is up.

HEAT:

They have cap space at the end of this season, to do whatever they want; and of course Mr Pat Riley to run the show... I think this trumps all, but what do I know.

I don't see why Lbj would join any other team, besides the ones I stated. Unless another super team can be put together, teams that have the salary to do so, HEAT & Lakers :)

THE MTL
11-24-2013, 09:09 PM
Only team I could see LeBron leaving Miami for is the Cavs just to complete his legacy. If he goes back to his hometown and wins a title. I will call him the undisputed 2nd best player of all time.

Big Zo
11-24-2013, 09:20 PM
I think the only realistic option is the Lakers, but then he'd be stuck with Jim Buss trying to assemble the rest of his team.

Dade County
11-24-2013, 09:30 PM
Only team I could see LeBron leaving Miami for is the Cavs just to complete his legacy. If he goes back to his hometown and wins a title. I will call him the undisputed 2nd best player of all time.

I think this topic deserve it's own thread...

But I don't think even if Lbj goes back to the Cav's, they are going o win a title anytime soon... Maybe 3 yrs from now, sure... But the Cav's organization has showed me noting, to make me believe that they could win a title with Lbj in the foreseeable future.

I mean seriously, Pat Riley is going to have a **** load of cap space; if Lbj leaves I still think Pat can put a team together and make it back to the Finals (that upcoming season... Miami can't be stopped lol).

bholly
11-24-2013, 10:32 PM
:laugh:

I don't get it? Care to elaborate?
It's been 10 years since there was a team so good that you could predict with any real credible confidence that they'll win 2 of the next 3. Maybe the Heat when they first got together, but certainly not now given the added uncertainty about whether they'll stay together and how Wade will decline. Even last year they had to survive two game sevens, and it isn't like they're getting younger or adding great pieces.
They're probably still favourites this year, and they might even be more likely than anyone else to win 2 of the next 3, but they aren't even favourites against the field this year, let along such big favourites that you could rationally think it's more likely than not that they win 2 of the next 3 - and 50% is a crazy low bar for prediction quality.

5ass
11-25-2013, 03:01 AM
Why? Is that the best fit for him? Or are you tired of him being on the HEAT?

better fit than the heat, but they dont have the capspace anyway.

P&GRealist
11-25-2013, 03:05 AM
Which team would give him the best chance to win? That's what's wrong with the nba. The real question should be , which team can he go to and help the team have the best opportunity to win.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates."

-Magic Johnson

kobe4thewinbang
11-25-2013, 03:27 AM
Ugh, this again? Anyway...

I don't think he's returning to Cleveland. He'd probably get booed on opening night. Regardless, he and Kyrie Irving (if he stays healthy) could make some noise, but that team is in trouble at the moment. I say he stays in Miami. Maybe Clippers?

Tony_Starks
11-25-2013, 04:55 AM

Even if he gets a ring in Cleveland there's no way in hell I put him over Magic who won five rings and went to the finals 9 times, all with the same team.

Two-3
11-25-2013, 05:11 AM
GSW or Houston would be sick to see him go to.

Heediot
11-25-2013, 08:01 AM
It would be a huge shock to me if he left Miami for anywhere other than Cleveland, and even then I think we overrate the probability because of how cool it would be. The only other move I could maybe see is to one of the New York teams, but that doesn't work given their situations this offseason. Unless he's suddenly best buddies with Steph Curry or something? I really can't see any reason he'd go to LAL, unless he has other friends he wants to team up with that we just don't know about. That seems more like a move for Melo.

If he won just 1 championship in Cleveland, I would have respected him more than a cop-out dynasty in Miami.

He's still the best player in the world, but athletes are too concerned about legacy. Even if he had 1 ship in Cleveland through out his career he would still be a top 3 GOAT player.

Heediot
11-25-2013, 08:09 AM
Even if he gets a ring in Cleveland there's no way in hell I put him over Magic who won five rings and went to the finals 9 times, all with the same team.

GTFO. Magic is a legend but LBJ is better. Even as someone who has lost respect for LeBron, I still respect his game. But I'd take Magic and his intangibles and leadership on my team first though haha.

Rndy
11-25-2013, 08:48 AM
He's staying in Miami there is no reason to leave you have Pat Riley and you're in Miami. That will always sell itself players will always go there to play with Lebron and be in Miami. CLE doesn't have that appeal that is why despite talks about it I doubt it happens. And really CLE has lost some of that hype they had last year. I think it's between Miami and LA and I just see no reason to leave Miami who while Wade might hurt them eventually It's not like LA has anyone there that you can depend on for the future.

AnthonyTyrael2
11-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Threepeat, retirement, NFL career, 1st comeback, next threepeat on another team, next retirement, followed by next comeback at age 45 to join some crappy team and show that another grandpa can crack these all time scoring records for players age 40+ set by Jordan... and in between buying some soccer franchise.

dodie53
11-25-2013, 09:59 AM
why would he leave the heat?

beliges
11-25-2013, 02:12 PM

GTFO. Magic is a legend but LBJ is better. Even as someone who has lost respect for LeBron, I still respect his game. But I'd take Magic and his intangibles and leadership on my team first though haha.

How is LBJ better? Aa soon as LBJ surpasses magics career we'll put him up there. A bit too premature for your statement.

kobe4thewinbang
11-25-2013, 03:51 PM
GSW or Houston would be sick to see him go to.Yeah, him and Curry would be nuuuuuuuuts. Probably better than him and Irving. Don't think he'd mesh with Harden.

FlashBolt
11-25-2013, 04:34 PM
James would mesh with everyone. It's impossible to not mesh with LeBron. He's the ultimate team player who can fill in any missing objective you need. Need a rebounder? Passer? Scorer? Defender? There's nothing he can't do. If a team does sign him, they will have a lot of ground covered with James. This is why he's one of the greatest to ever play. Some players can only fulfill one aspect of the game. James can fulfill ALL aspects of basketball. What a luxury for a coach to have..

Dade County
11-25-2013, 05:00 PM
better fit than the heat, but they dont have the capspace anyway.

Buts thats like saying, roy hibbert would be a better fit on the HEAT then on the Pacers... You are just taking a player (Lbj) and just placing him on a good team, with out that team losing anyone.

Of course if you do that, almost any star player can make any contending team he hops on better. But it's like you said they don't have the money for that.

But seriously why would you want Lbj on the Pacers, wouldn't you want him to stay put on the team he is own, instead of jumping to another team... Or that why of thinking doesn't apply when it comes to the HEAT?

To me if he leaves, he should team up with KD or Howard.

Hellcrooner
11-25-2013, 05:01 PM
he shoudl go back to Cleveland.

Goose17
11-25-2013, 05:26 PM
I think he stays, he might enter FA to get more money and to test the market, but I actually think he'll sign an extension before the deadline.

Pablonovi
11-25-2013, 05:31 PM

Hey jerellh528,
In theory, you're right. But in LBJ's case, ANY team he goes to he helps have the best opportunity to win. As flashbolt says in post #32 (he beat me to the punch on this); LeBron is so complete, so athletic and such a team-work stud, there's no team he wouldn't help.

Need 30+ a night, LBJ.
Need a near-triple-double, LBJ.
Need THE master distributor (in today's game) cause you've got a bunch of shooters, LBJ.
Need to shut down the other team's top non-center player, LBJ.
Need, on any given night, any of the above, or virtually anything else, LBJ.

He's all-purpose. Heck, if a team can win with Magic starting at Center in the Finals (no less), (only one game, true); LBJ certainly could on a spot basis; depending on the opponent. (Certainly not every single center in the League would outplay him at that position).

Airevo76
11-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Would be cool if he joined the Pelicans.