PDA

View Full Version : Is a Gm Allowed to......

TorontoHuskies
11-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Is a Gm Allowed to talk to player he believes will be in the draft during their college career? For instance Andrew Wiggins has already said that he wants to play for the Raptors and Masai Ujiri has made it pretty clear he wouldn't mind that either. So my question is is it legal by NBA rules to tell a college player to play worse than he is capable of so that his draft stock drops to a favorable position for the team asking?

KG2TB
11-21-2013, 05:04 PM
If a player is dumb enough and not competitive enough to play bad on purpose, for the off chance his draft stock falls enough to MAYBE get selected by the team he wants to go to, I would say that's not a player you want anyways. Too many variables to even attempt something that dumb.

LongIslandIcedZ
11-21-2013, 05:08 PM
Pretty sure I read Isaiah Thomas told Channing Frye not to work out with a certain team, so the Knicks could take him. It wasnt during the season though, so I'm not sure thats what you meant.

IndyRealist
11-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Fairly certain this would be a violation of NCAA rules.

2-ONE-5
11-21-2013, 05:14 PM
lol your homerism for Wiggins is out of control dude. NO a GM cant do that. During pre draft workouts a team can give a promise to draft a player which leads to them cancelling other workouts for teams who would pick later.

alexander_37
No.....

Goose17
Not sure if it's a violation.

But if a guy is deliberately throwing games and willing to lose to get what he wants, do you really want him on your team? I sure as hell don't.

conway429
11-21-2013, 05:29 PM
obviously it would never happen, but it wouldn't be allowed anyways. no one - coaches, agents, front office - is allowed to talk to amateur athletes about playing/signing with them until the season's over

Tony_Starks
11-21-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm sorry but I think Wiggins is getting over hyped. I remember watching Lebron in high school and you just knew he was going to be a franchise guy. I don't really get that feeling with Wiggins.

lamzoka
11-21-2013, 05:43 PM
double post

lamzoka
11-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Pretty sure I read Isaiah Thomas told Channing Frye not to work out with a certain team, so the Knicks could take him. It wasnt during the season though, so I'm not sure thats what you meant.

I believe it was Wilson Chandler, not frye

Goose17
11-21-2013, 05:54 PM
I'm sorry but I think Wiggins is getting over hyped. I remember watching Lebron in high school and you just knew he was going to be a franchise guy. I don't really get that feeling with Wiggins.

Parker is going to be better imo.

TorontoHuskies
11-21-2013, 07:02 PM
dp

TorontoHuskies
11-21-2013, 07:04 PM

He always shows up when it counts but coasts when it's a blow out or in the first half. Don't know what that says about a player...

TorontoHuskies
11-21-2013, 07:09 PM
So is this actually a violation or are people saying no because it's obviously pretty unethical...someone post a link I need some evidence (couldn't find anything about it).

Tmath
11-21-2013, 07:50 PM
What a dumb thread.

Wiggins was asked that question on the spot. He obviously didn't want to make his fellow canadians angry. There was no other correct answer.

And when did Masai say this? link?

NoahH
11-21-2013, 11:17 PM
Is a Gm Allowed to talk to player he believes will be in the draft during their college career? For instance Andrew Wiggins has already said that he wants to play for the Raptors and Masai Ujiri has made it pretty clear he wouldn't mind that either. So my question is is it legal by NBA rules to tell a college player to play worse than he is capable of so that his draft stock drops to a favorable position for the team asking?

That would be the DUMBEST thing ever and if a player did that they wouldnt be worth drafting because it indicates they're so stupid. The chances of that plan actually working are SLIM to NONE. Hypothetically if the Raptors had the 10th pick and Wiggins played bad enough for his stock to drop SOMEONE might pick him before that. It's just a dumb plan to throw your college career to do that just to have a small chance to get drafted by a team you might want to play on a big more than another team.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
11-22-2013, 12:30 AM
It's a violation because he hasn't declared for the draft yet, which can't happen until April. An example is when Danny Ainge got fined for talking to Durant's mom back in 2007

Arch Stanton
11-22-2013, 01:51 AM
I kind of hope Toronto gets Wiggins. It can be difficult for some franchises to attract star players, so if a hometown star wants to play for his city that is awesome.

2-ONE-5
11-22-2013, 10:56 AM
So is this actually a violation or are people saying no because it's obviously pretty unethical...someone post a link I need some evidence (couldn't find anything about it).

it is a violation and its a well known one.

2-ONE-5
11-22-2013, 10:57 AM
I kind of hope Toronto gets Wiggins. It can be difficult for some franchises to attract star players, so if a hometown star wants to play for his city that is awesome.

EVERY player wants to play for their hometown