PDA

View Full Version : JJ Redick Having A Career Best Year

Clippersfan86
11-20-2013, 02:28 PM
One of the unsung acquisitions of this summer. He's having a career year and isn't even meshed with the team yet. I imagine as chemistry grows, he will improve as the season goes on.

"According to NBA.com's on/off stats, the Clippers are scoring 101.2 points and allowing 113.5 points per 100 possessions with Redick off the floor. When he's on the floor, LA is dramatically improved on both sides of the ball. With Redick, the Clips are scoring 115.1 per 100 possessions and allowing just 102.6."

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/11/20/5123972/jj-redick-chirs-paul-blake-griffin-clippers-relationship

Stats: 16.6 ppg, 2.3 apg, 2.5 rpg, .8 spg. TS% of 61, EFG% 55, PER of 19, WS/48 .169. This is in just 29 minutes per game. PER 36 he jumps to 20+ PPG. He's also been our most consistent perimeter defender probably, which is most surprising. He's not a shutdown defender by any means but he rarely makes bad decisions on D or gives up easy buckets.

Considering the guy makes 6.3 million a year do you consider this a good bargain? Have you been impressed with him?

Gibby23
11-20-2013, 02:31 PM
A career best 10 or 12 games?

Blitzbolt
11-20-2013, 02:35 PM
To early to tell but I just don't like the Redick/Crawford and Dudley convo I think it will hurt the clipps on defense and againts physical wing players.

2-ONE-5
11-20-2013, 02:44 PM
no need for a thread after 10 games

mightybosstone
11-20-2013, 02:53 PM
I have the guy on my fantasy team, and I'll admit he's been great so far. But it's way too early to tell if this will continue or not. Also, let's not forget that this is a guy who has never had starter caliber minutes on a good team that was a good fit. He was only a 20-25 minute guy on those Dwight Orlando teams. So, this is really his first chance to shine as a starter on a halfway decent team that got him good looks from the perimeter.

Also, I'm not really sure this is thread worthy. It's early in the season, there's a LOT of players having "career years" and it's not like the guy is putting up shocking numbers or anything. If you told me before the season that Redick would average 16 a game on above average shooting percentages and play decent perimeter defense, I wouldn't be stunned.

If he starts scoring 20 a game for a Clippers team that is kicking *** in the Western Conference, then I'd be fine with a thread like this. But I think threads like this should be reserved for players posting consistently insane numbers like Davis or Love are this season.

YoungOne
11-20-2013, 03:00 PM
all he does is threads! all day every day!

ewing
11-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Not surprised JJ has been ready for this role for a couple years.

Gators123
11-20-2013, 03:01 PM
no need for a thread after 10 games

Well good thing hes played 11 games.

Redick is having a great season.

UPRock
11-20-2013, 03:13 PM
He's good at basketball

koreancabbage
11-20-2013, 03:15 PM
He's good at basketball

he's good offensively. How are the clippers doing defensively? and Redick on defense.

5ass
11-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Ill always like JJ, not surprised at all at what he's done. If you think about it, he's probably playing like the 2nd or 3rd best SG through 10 games.

5ass
11-20-2013, 03:19 PM
he's good offensively. How are the clippers doing defensively? and Redick on defense.

Redick is a solid defender. Not great, but good effort and fundamentals.

ewing
11-20-2013, 03:27 PM

JJ is not a bad defensive player. He can still be over matched by bigger twos but if you have a 6'7 two with game you need a stopper if you are going to contain him. JJ is good coming through screens, is much stronger then when he entered the league, and doesn't miss rotations.

tredigs
11-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Ill always like JJ, not surprised at all at what he's done. If you think about it, he's probably playing like the 2nd or 3rd best SG through 10 games.

I'd throw Harden, Klay Thompson, Kevin Martin, Afflalo, Wade, OJ Mayo ahead of him thus far off the top of my head. But he's fit his role really well offensively next to Cp3.

Slug3
11-20-2013, 03:48 PM
I feel like every time Clippersfan makes a thread about his Clippers and bragging about something else about them, it makes me hate them and Blake Griffin a little more each time.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-20-2013, 03:50 PM
thats nice.

Jordan Hill averages almost a double-double in 20 minutes.

5ass
11-20-2013, 03:52 PM
I would probably only take wade, harden, thompson and afflalo over him so far. So top 5 sg through 10 games imo.

tredigs
11-20-2013, 03:56 PM
^Kevin Martin has been pretty incredible (actually last night was his first weak game). 23 a night on efficiency thanks to his 45% 3pt shooting and how much he's attacking and getting to the line again. OJ's a toss up with JJ.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-20-2013, 03:56 PM
I would probably only take wade, harden, thompson and afflalo over him so far. So top 5 sg through 10 games imo.

Jodie Meeks 13.7 pts 53 fg % 49% from 3pt range.

Lakers leading scorer :drool:

5ass
11-20-2013, 04:09 PM
^Kevin Martin has been pretty incredible (actually last night was his first weak game). 23 a night on efficiency thanks to his 45% 3pt shooting and how much he's attacking and getting to the line again. OJ's a toss up with JJ.

Martin is a worse decision maker with the ball in terms of passing and shooting. Plus redick is shooting more efficiently and playing better D. Oj has been solid, but id still take redick over him easily.

tredigs
11-20-2013, 04:19 PM
Martin is a worse decision maker with the ball in terms of passing and shooting. Plus redick is shooting more efficiently and playing better D. Oj has been solid, but id still take redick over him easily.

Eh - Reddick's asked to do less as a 3rd option, and Martin over the course of time has proven to be the more potent scorer on higher efficiency. Not just this season (despite last night where the whole team was in a 2nd half funk). It's not like K Mart's a high turnover guy either. He's smart with the ball despite being very good at drawing contact and getting to the line. He's an ideal 3rd option who's playing like one of the top 5 #2 scoring options in the game right now. His advantage on that end (and it shows up in the stats) isn't enough for me to think JJ is somehow better than him due to a potential very negligible advantage on D.

Best sign I see out of JJ s that he's getting to the line just over 3 times a night for the first time in his career. When you're as good a shooter as him/Klay/Martin, that's crucial for a # of reasons. But even there, it's half the attempts we're seeing from Martin. He hasn't been better.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-20-2013, 04:20 PM
I have the guy on my fantasy team, and I'll admit he's been great so far. But it's way too early to tell if this will continue or not. Also, let's not forget that this is a guy who has never had starter caliber minutes on a good team that was a good fit. He was only a 20-25 minute guy on those Dwight Orlando teams. So, this is really his first chance to shine as a starter on a halfway decent team that got him good looks from the perimeter.

Also, I'm not really sure this is thread worthy. It's early in the season, there's a LOT of players having "career years" and it's not like the guy is putting up shocking numbers or anything. If you told me before the season that Redick would average 16 a game on above average shooting percentages and play decent perimeter defense, I wouldn't be stunned.

If he starts scoring 20 a game for a Clippers team that is kicking *** in the Western Conference, then I'd be fine with a thread like this. But I think threads like this should be reserved for players posting consistently insane numbers like Davis or Love are this season.

It isn't. But look at the person who made the thread.

Byronicle
11-20-2013, 04:22 PM
Another classic premature thread

Gibby23
11-20-2013, 04:22 PM
I'd throw Harden, Klay Thompson, Kevin Martin, Afflalo, Wade, OJ Mayo ahead of him thus far off the top of my head. But he's fit his role really well offensively next to Cp3.

Monta Ellis, Beal, Wesley Matthews?

IversonIsKrazy
11-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Not surprised whatsover. JJ on the Clips was a perfect fit, I knew it was going to possibly be a career-year for him. I am surprised with his D tho, was not expecting that.

mightybosstone
11-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Jodie Meeks 13.7 pts 53 fg % 49% from 3pt range.

Lakers leading scorer :drool:

Holy crap.... That's a staggering stat. It's a miracle they've won five games with Jodie Meeks as their leading scorer.

tredigs
11-20-2013, 04:28 PM
Monta Ellis?

Wasn't thinking about him. He's got a case. I've only caught a few games, but for the most part this is a better situation for him and he should be a pretty effective option (still not a good perimeter D situation for him, but offensively it's solid). He's still turning it over a lot and taking 1 too many threes a night, but you'll take it.

2-ONE-5
11-20-2013, 04:37 PM

Evan Turner too

Gibby23
11-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Evan Turner too

If he was a SG.

5ass
11-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Eh - Reddick's asked to do less as a 3rd option, and Martin over the course of time has proven to be the more potent scorer on higher efficiency. Not just this season (despite last night where the whole team was in a 2nd half funk). It's not like K Mart's a high turnover guy either. He's smart with the ball despite being very good at drawing contact and getting to the line. He's an ideal 3rd option who's playing like one of the top 5 #2 scoring options in the game right now. His advantage on that end (and it shows up in the stats) isn't enough for me to think JJ is somehow better than him due to a potential very negligible advantage on D.

Best sign I see out of JJ s that he's getting to the line just over 3 times a night for the first time in his career. When you're as good a shooter as him/Klay/Martin, that's crucial for a # of reasons. But even there, it's half the attempts we're seeing from Martin. He hasn't been better.
I dont know about negligable diff on d. Also redick can actually run an offense for stretches. Martin would never be able to do that. It all depends on ur team. Martin is good for the wolves and jj is good for the clippers. Switch them around and they would both suffer.
Generally though, as a 3rd option give me redick over martin.

Gibby23
11-20-2013, 04:42 PM
I dont know about negligable diff on d. Also redick can actually run an offense for stretches. Martin would never be able to do that. It all depends on ur team. Martin is good for the wolves and jj is good for the clippers. Switch them around and they would both suffer.

Martin wouldn't suffer on the Clippers.

5ass
11-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Martin wouldn't suffer on the Clippers.

Chose the wrong wording, what i meant by suffer is relatively less effective.

2-ONE-5
11-20-2013, 04:48 PM
If he was a SG.

Starts at SF but plays 1-2-3 throughout the game

Sadds The Gr8
11-20-2013, 04:53 PM
I think this guy has made a thread about every Clipper in the past 3 years.

Hopefully Redick keeps it up, he's on my fantasy team and is playing way better than i thought he would

Gibby23
11-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Starts at SF but plays 1-2-3 throughout the game

Can't shoot the 3 to be a full time SG.

Furymaker
11-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Can't shoot the 3 to be a full time SG.

wade cant too , so he cant be a full time SG ?

ewing
11-20-2013, 06:02 PM

JJ has molded him self into the good play maker. He can not run and team though. Opposing defenses would be all over his handle

IndyRealist
11-20-2013, 06:05 PM
One of the unsung acquisitions of this summer. He's having a career year and isn't even meshed with the team yet. I imagine as chemistry grows, he will improve as the season goes on.

"According to NBA.com's on/off stats, the Clippers are scoring 101.2 points and allowing 113.5 points per 100 possessions with Redick off the floor. When he's on the floor, LA is dramatically improved on both sides of the ball. With Redick, the Clips are scoring 115.1 per 100 possessions and allowing just 102.6."

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/11/20/5123972/jj-redick-chirs-paul-blake-griffin-clippers-relationship

Stats: 16.6 ppg, 2.3 apg, 2.5 rpg, .8 spg. TS% of 61, EFG% 55, PER of 19, WS/48 .169. This is in just 29 minutes per game. PER 36 he jumps to 20+ PPG. He's also been our most consistent perimeter defender probably, which is most surprising. He's not a shutdown defender by any means but he rarely makes bad decisions on D or gives up easy buckets.

Considering the guy makes 6.3 million a year do you consider this a good bargain? Have you been impressed with him?

That is exactly why people distrust stats. That is grossly misused.

And 2009 Reddick was better, and he did it over an entire season. This year he's just getting more shots.

mightybosstone
11-20-2013, 06:26 PM

And 2009 Reddick was better, and he did it over an entire season. This year he's just getting more shots.

That's totally debatable. 2009-10 Redick also only posted an 18.3 USG% and took nearly four fewer shots per 36 minutes. Plus, it's not like 09 Redick's numbers are clearly better. It was a slight edge in WS/48, but this season's Redick boasts superior scoring, a higher PER and a higher TS% despite taking far more shots per game.

Chronz
11-20-2013, 06:29 PM

You mean 2010 Redick and no he wasn't based on how JJ's been this year. Its not just more shots, its come with enhanced efficiency and team influence.

ManRam
11-20-2013, 06:40 PM
I love JJ and I'm glad to see him in a big role on a contender. Always been overlooked, and few work harder than him. Frankly, if he wasn't having a career year now that he's STARTING and playing on an offense with a great play-maker, well, something would be terribly wrong. This HAD to have been expected. Not a surprise one bit.

I mean, he put up 15.1-2.4-4.4 on 45/39/89 shooting last year in Orlando. That's better than what he's doing now. We knew he had this in him so long as he's given the minutes and the role (a role that's made much simpler because of CP3).

I know you love nothing more in life than sharing how great the Clippers and/or their players are, but this thread literally could be made about a ton of players...most of whom's improvement is more surprising (at least to me). Feel free to add!

Arron Afflalo
Kevin Love
Jordan Hill
Eric Bledsoe
Isaiah Thomas
Mike Conley
Paul George
DeJaun Blair
Spencer Hawes
Shaun Livingston

And so on. It's been 11 games, too.

ManRam
11-20-2013, 06:41 PM

He's a good defender. :shrug: Certainly far from bad. The Clippers as a whole need to step that up, but their defensive issues are mostly due to Blake and DAJ not cutting it.

SMH!
11-20-2013, 06:56 PM
The clippers forum is the NBA forum

Clippersfan86
11-20-2013, 07:00 PM
Manram then we should all stop making threads for another couple months. 99 percent of threads right now are related to how a player or team is playing. Hell that's what most forum talk is. People need to stop being so uptight. I haven't made a new Clippers thread for a while. Feel free to make threads on guys like Jordan Hill or Aaron Afflalo. They deserve it.

IndyRealist
11-20-2013, 07:14 PM
You mean 2010 Redick and no he wasn't based on how JJ's been this year. Its not just more shots, its come with enhanced efficiency and team influence.

His efficiency isn't better this year, and it's on a smaller sample size. In '09-10 he played 82 games. He didn't hit 2's as well, but shot 3's much better than this year. TS% is 60.9% this year, 60.6 in 2009. All that's happening, in this very small sample size, is that he's shooting more.

Chronz
11-20-2013, 07:18 PM
His efficiency isn't better this year, and it's on a smaller sample size. In '09-10 he played 82 games. He didn't hit 2's as well, but shot 3's much better than this year. TS% is 60.9% this year, 60.6 in 2009. All that's happening, in this very small sample size, is that he's shooting more.

I know its a small sample, but it is what it is, hes more efficient.

Career best TS%, career best oreb%, career best turnover% adds up to a career best O-RTG. That its come with an increase in usage makes it unquestionably his most efficient/effective season to date.

Theres no way around it man. Its so good that I doubt it lasts.

RLundi
11-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Every time I see a thread about the Clippers, I excitedly scroll to the top to see if it's anyone other than Clippersfan86 but I always come away disappointed.

ILLUSIONIST^248
11-20-2013, 08:48 PM
all he does is threads! all day every day!

:laugh2: terrible ones at that.

ILLUSIONIST^248
11-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Every time I see a thread about the Clippers, I excitedly scroll to the top to see if it's anyone other than Clippersfan86 but I always come away disappointed.

:laugh:

ILLUSIONIST^248
11-20-2013, 08:53 PM
If he was a SG.

Gold sig, lmao

b@llhog24
11-20-2013, 10:21 PM
Manram then we should all stop making threads for another couple months. 99 percent of threads right now are related to how a player or team is playing. Hell that's what most forum talk is. People need to stop being so uptight. I haven't made a new Clippers thread for a while. Feel free to make threads on guys like Jordan Hill or Aaron Afflalo. They deserve it.

:hope:

ManRam
11-20-2013, 11:20 PM
I know its a small sample, but it is what it is, hes more efficient.

Career best TS%, career best oreb%, career best turnover% adds up to a career best O-RTG. That its come with an increase in usage makes it unquestionably his most efficient/effective season to date.

Theres no way around it man. Its so good that I doubt it lasts.

The usage isn't really up all that much though...at least not by an order of magnitude that really supersedes the obvious benefits of playing with CP3 and that offense. I think what he's doing should have been expected. He's getting big minutes on a good offense...pretty much the first time ever.

Compare what he's doing now to what he did in Orlando last season. It's about identical.

So yeah, I don't think it's flukish :shrug: Besides efficiency and the benefits of playing on a good offense (like O-RTG, and TOV%...because he's not handling the ball as much) most of the other aspects of his game remain about the same. He was required to be a play-maker in Orlando; he's not being tasked with that responsibility in LAC. So of course his TOV% will dip, and scoring efficiency will increase.

I think he sustains it, for sure.

Clippersfan86
11-20-2013, 11:31 PM
Manram you chose not to address what I said? 99 percent of threads this early in the season are about what a team or player ISN'T or IS doing. So how can we determine what's "thread worthy"? If you check my thread creation history as a mod... you'll see that I actually don't make threads often and 75 percent of them are NOT Clippers related. I've made like 3 new Clippers threads in the last two months about and probably 8 non Clippers related ones in that span.

ManRam
11-20-2013, 11:43 PM
Manram you chose not to address what I said? 99 percent of threads this early in the season are about what a team or player ISN'T or IS doing. So how can we determine what's "thread worthy"? If you check my thread creation history as a mod... you'll see that I actually don't make threads often and 75 percent of them are NOT Clippers related. I've made like 3 new Clippers threads in the last two months about and probably 8 non Clippers related ones in that span.

I didn't mean to steer it off-topic.

My point stands tho: this thread could be made for a good 20 other players at this juncture in the season. It's both early, and also not that impressive and/or surprising (to me). Seemed insignificant, but I love talking about JJ so whatever.

I should have taken out the snarky comment about you making so many Clippers threads. You do, and that's fine, but it's not as much as I thought. Let's let it go!

Gibby23
11-20-2013, 11:45 PM

Lol, just off the top of my head, you made this one, a DJ one, A Blake one, and a Clippers offense one in like the last month or 2.

Lets just be real about it, people don't mind Clipper threads, just the stupid ones you make taking the player or team over the top. Like this one, about a role player. Maybe JJ's first thread ever regarding his play since Duke.

Clippersfan86
11-21-2013, 04:23 AM
Good deal Manram. Gibby I wasn't calling JJ a superstar or something lol. I just think Redick was arguably the most underrated and least hyped acquisitions in free agency. Early or not he's been huge.

ThaDubs
11-21-2013, 04:36 AM
Gold sig, lmao

Surprised you understand it's meaning, considering all you do all day is pray to the Kobe and Anti LeBron gods.

mjokc
11-21-2013, 05:30 AM

The type of threads multiple times per day is the reason why Clippersfan86 was perm banned from Insidehoops.com. He had about 30k posts in a year until they banned him. He wasn't even banned just for the amounts of posts, it was due to posting tranny pics and pictures of people suffering from STDs. Just google "Clippersfan86 Insidehoops" it is quite hilarious.

Goose17
11-21-2013, 05:35 AM
I always liked Redick. He's a great player and made some huge improvements defensively over the last couple of years.

ewing
11-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Good deal Manram. Gibby I wasn't calling JJ a superstar or something lol. I just think Redick was arguably the most underrated and least hyped acquisitions in free agency. Early or not he's been huge.

I think a lot of people saw JJ and Duds as very solid pickups.

RLundi
11-21-2013, 10:56 AM
:hope:

lol