PDA

View Full Version : Nash may retire due to injuries

spreadeagle
11-19-2013, 06:44 PM
Steve Nash is giving serious thought to medical retirement as he continues to battle chronic back issues.

If Nash is given a medical retirement, he would receive the full amount owed to him by the Los Angeles Lakers.

The Lakers, meanwhile, would have Nash's entire $9.701 million contract for next season come off their cap. If Nash isn't traded or becomes a medical retirement, the Lakers could use their stretch provision to waive him and have his cap number be allocated over the following three seasons.
https://twitter.com/PeterVecsey1

shep33
11-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Sad that injuries have plagued him ever since coming to the Lakers. Even last year he was just short of 50-40-90 from the Field, 3pt, and free throw line.

One of the greatest point guards all-time, arguably the greatest shooter ever.

But I think it's time to hang em up.

Stunner
11-19-2013, 07:12 PM
They should trade for Isaiah Thomas

SportsFanatic10
11-19-2013, 07:28 PM
one of my favorite players of all time, been hard to watch him struggle with his health like this and play for the lakers :puke:. i agree that it's probably time.

jimm120
11-19-2013, 07:51 PM
wait, didn't he join the lakers just to screw them over? Remember, the lakers were Pheonix's rival. hated each other.

He wouldn't retire. He'd retire next year lol

bholly
11-19-2013, 07:55 PM
FWIW, there are some inaccuracies in the report quoted - in particular he can't just choose to go into medical retirement and have the money come off the books next year.

The whole relevant section from Coon's FAQ:

There is one exception whereby a player can continue to receive his salary, but the salary is excluded from team salary. This is when a player suffers a career-ending injury or illness. The team must waive the player, and can apply for this salary exclusion beginning:

If the player played 10 or more games1 in the current season, on the one-year anniversary of the player's last game.
If the player played fewer than 10 games1 in the current season, 60 days after his last game, or the one-year anniversary of his last game in the previous season, whichever is later.
Only the player's team at the time the injury or illness was discovered (or reasonably should have been discovered) can apply for this salary exclusion.

The determination as to whether an injury or illness is career ending is made by a physician jointly selected by the league and players association. The determination is based on whether the injury or illness will prevent the player from playing for the remainder of his career, or if it is severe enough that continuing to play constitutes a medically unacceptable risk.

If the injury exclusion is granted, the player's salary is removed from the team salary immediately.

It's not just up to him, so there's no guarantee they're going to get the money off when they apply.

It's also not as simple as the money coming off the books for next season. If he plays less than 10 games (he's played 5 so far) then the money would come off on the one year anniversary of his last 2012-13 game (ie it would come off on April 28th, 2014). But if he plays 10 or more games then the money comes off on the one-year anniversary of his last game, which would be during next season. So there's a real big difference between whether he gives it up now or tries for a few more games.

JNA17
11-19-2013, 07:55 PM
The irony is that Nash retiring now would help the Lakers more than his actual play on the court for them.

shep33
11-19-2013, 08:04 PM
FWIW, there are some inaccuracies in the report quoted - in particular he can't just choose to go into medical retirement and have the money come off the books next year.

The whole relevant section from Coon's FAQ:

It's not just up to him, so there's no guarantee they're going to get the money off when they apply.

It's also not as simple as the money coming off the books for next season. If he plays less than 10 games (he's played 5 so far) then the money would come off on the one year anniversary of his last 2012-13 game (ie it would come off on April 28th, 2014). But if he plays 10 or more games then the money comes off on the one-year anniversary of his last game, which would be during next season. So there's a real big difference between whether he gives it up now or tries for a few more games.

I think the Lakers might use a stretch waive on him if he comes back next year.

deaner
11-19-2013, 08:06 PM
What would Nash do?? Would he coach?

ThaDubs
11-19-2013, 08:07 PM
I mean it's not like the Lakers are doing anything this year... unless he can somehow get traded to the Heat it's probably time to hang them up sadly.

Lakers + Giants
11-19-2013, 08:07 PM
It's time to retire. Loved going up against nash when he was in his prime with Amare in phx. All good things must come to end.

He should not be remembered a laker because that would be an insult to his fabulous career. As soon as we got him he dealt with injuries, but as a sun, he was a pleasure to watch. One of my all time favorite players.

shep33
11-19-2013, 08:11 PM
I mean it's not like the Lakers are doing anything this year... unless he can somehow get traded to the Heat it's probably time to hang them up sadly.

I don't even know if he can be healthy ever again. When he broke his leg he suffered nerve damage which messed up his back and neck

ManRam
11-19-2013, 08:15 PM

The Lakers have zero assets. Unless they're willing to part with their first rounder, how could they come up with a package worth Sacto's time?

As for Nash, it might be time. If it's just not working, why keep laboring through it? The Lakers certainly have to be hoping he does go this route, assuming they could get out of the cap up. That would be even more money freed up for the big 2014 offseason.

shep33
11-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Even if he stays, yeah he's eating up 9.7 mill in cap room, but with everyone else expiring it's not a big deal. He'll just be an expiring next year.

True Sports Fan
11-19-2013, 09:31 PM

No way we would trade Thomas for Nash, lol.

astonmartin10
11-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Don't wanna see Nash retire this way. Too bad he never had a chance to win a ring.

NBA_Starter
11-19-2013, 09:42 PM
It's sad but it is probably time.

EL_MACHETE
11-19-2013, 09:52 PM

LoL, Sacramento would hanged up the phone

Hawkeye15
11-19-2013, 10:08 PM
one of my favorite players ever to watch, but he is a shell of himself. Sad watching him now. He needs to just retire and then in a couple of years get into coaching.

Hawkeye15
11-19-2013, 10:11 PM
Don't wanna see Nash retire this way. Too bad he never had a chance to win a ring.

he did though. Phoenix had a couple of teams that were contenders. And no way on earth I want to see him winning one as a Laker

WES KOAST
11-20-2013, 02:17 AM
What would Nash do?? Would he coach?

yes, the lakers defensive coach

WES KOAST
11-20-2013, 02:20 AM
he did though. Phoenix had a couple of teams that were contenders. And no way on earth I want to see him winning one as a Laker

loved nash as a sun but after he disrespected phoenix, let dallas retire his jersey.

quiettfxgt
11-20-2013, 02:47 AM
Sad that injuries have plagued him ever since coming to the Lakers.http://esmallgame.com/11a.jpg

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-20-2013, 03:24 AM
who cares we have poor mans Stockton to replace him

sad though that poor guy didnt win a ring

RipCity32
11-20-2013, 04:23 AM
He needs to retire because Hes sad to watch these days.

JC_
11-20-2013, 06:12 AM
I think Nash would be a great coach, if he decides to throw in the towel. Ring or not, I think he'll be remembered as one the most exciting players to watch.

FlashBolt
11-20-2013, 06:16 AM
Top 5 PG imo. Top 50 player for sure.

NYKNYGNYY
11-20-2013, 07:00 AM
Shame this is the way he's going out...at least he's not pulling a t mac

amos1er
11-20-2013, 07:06 AM
Didn't see this coming. :rolleyes:

dodie53
11-20-2013, 08:07 AM
no, not yet

Heediot
11-20-2013, 08:11 AM
Lakers fan are paying their respects to Nash, but deep down inside y'all are drooling at the prospects of all that Cap room coming off the books.

Nick O
11-20-2013, 10:47 AM
i would love to see him coach

xxplayerxx23
11-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Trade him to the suns so he can retire there

mightybosstone
11-20-2013, 03:03 PM
If this is true, he will sorely be missed, and he's easily one of my favorite non-Rockets players I've ever had the pleasure to watch play. Unfortunately, (Lakers fans will kill me for saying this) the guy made the wrong decision. If he was going to leave Phoenix, he should have either reunited with Dirk in Dallas or pulled a Ray Allen and taken less money to win a ring with Miami. He would have been a perfect fit as a sixth man with the Heat. And the thought of a 3-point shooting lineup with Nash-Allen-Battier-James-Bosh on the floor is absolutely disgusting.

I wonder if the Lakers would consider trading him for the Heat, or if he can just agree to waive the second year of his contract so the Heat could pick him up off the waivers and sign at a discount. If the guy has anything left in the tank or even if he just wants to play a Juwan Howard type role, I'd love to see him win a ring.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-20-2013, 03:29 PM

if we get our picks back lol

KingPosey
11-20-2013, 06:14 PM

Lol and give us what in return?

kingsdelez24
11-20-2013, 06:27 PM

Lol and give us what in return?

Idk, the lakers got Pau for a bag of doritos

PurpleLynch
11-20-2013, 06:30 PM
I'm really sorry for Nash,love him and his game. A shame he didn't win a ring,I hoped he could do it last year,but whatever,a Hof anyway.

WES KOAST
11-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Lakers fan are paying their respects to Nash, but deep down inside y'all are drooling at the prospects of all that Cap room coming off the books.

why? all nash has done for the lakers is knock them out of the playoffs when he was a sun.

there's no loyalty in this business. you old and cant play then you out. simple

WES KOAST
11-20-2013, 07:35 PM

nah, suns will never do that. nash might reinjure himself during his jersey retirement

WES KOAST
11-20-2013, 07:36 PM
i would love to see him coach

like I said before, he would make a great lakers defensive coach

TrueFan420
11-20-2013, 07:42 PM
anyone think this is from pressure by the LA FO

bleedprple&gold
11-20-2013, 11:12 PM

I didn't know Marc Gasol was a bag of doritos...:facepalm:

kingsdelez24
11-20-2013, 11:42 PM

More like at the time it was... not many people figured that the chubby little brother of Pau would become a top 3 center in the league

JNA17
11-21-2013, 12:30 AM
More like at the time it was... not many people figured that the chubby little brother of Pau would become a top 3 center in the league

And he really wasn't any good when the Lakers first had him or by the time he was traded to the Grizzlies. He was fat and didn't have much of a skillset at all. He was basically living off his brother's last name. Marc just worked VERY HARD to get to where he is today and did a complete 180 from his previous expectations.

Marc Gasol being where he is now is practically luck and a lot of hard work and dedication.

kblo247
11-21-2013, 03:35 AM

He was the Spanish league MVP at the time

bleedprple&gold
11-21-2013, 03:47 AM

He was the Spanish league MVP at the time

Exactly. But it is puzzling why he was such a low draft pick. Maybe teams weren't sure if he was going to come to the U.S. Regardless I'm sure Memphis doesn't do that deal if Marc is not included. They knew he had a lot of potential.

kblo247
11-21-2013, 03:58 AM
Exactly. But it is puzzling why he was such a low draft pick. Maybe teams weren't sure if he was going to come to the U.S. Regardless I'm sure Memphis doesn't do that deal if Marc is not included. They knew he had a lot of potential.

Well Memphis saw Marc more than any other team since he came to practices and visited Pau there.

As far as him dropping, Lakers took him early knowing he wasn't coming over the coming season and possibly next. His other concern was always his weight as he was one of those guys you knew you would need to arrange a diet for. Its like Big Baby for instance falling to round 2 because no team wanted another Shawn May in the first round

KingPosey
11-21-2013, 04:15 AM

At the time he was what, an undecided near 2nd round pick wasn't he? It was
For 2012 Marc Gasol, it was a useless pick they drafted the **** out of in Memphis. I don't even think the Lakers had actually drafted Marc had they because it was in season?

Goose17
11-21-2013, 10:17 AM
He needs to go back to phoenix so their medical wizards can heal him.

da ThRONe
11-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Sad, but not surprising. If he does it'll be one of those moments that shows my age. Last time it was Shaq.

NYKnickFanatic
11-21-2013, 10:25 AM

Who thought that fat girl would turn into Oprah?

bleedprple&gold
11-21-2013, 11:49 AM

At the time he was what, an undecided near 2nd round pick wasn't he? It was
For 2012 Marc Gasol, it was a useless pick they drafted the **** out of in Memphis. I don't even think the Lakers had actually drafted Marc had they because it was in season?

No the Lakers had already drafted Marc in the previous draft before the trade happened. They traded the "rights to him" to Memphis mid-season because he was still in Spain at the time (winning the Spanish league mvp). There was a reason Memphis wanted him.

TheNumber37
11-21-2013, 12:09 PM
He left the best medical staff in the the NBA for this.

D-Leethal
11-21-2013, 01:41 PM
PHX should have let him go 2-3 years earlier instead of holding on to him in the post-Amare years. He had a couple good years left to go to a contender and be a key piece on a championship team and they just wasted away his glory years with Gortat, Frye and Jared Dudley.