PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout dem Spurs?

JasonJohnHorn
11-17-2013, 07:14 AM
I'm sure it is not a surprise to many, but 10 games into the season and the Spurs have the best record in the league (tied with the Pacers).

I for one, am happy to see team doing well. The Spurs and Pacers are teams in the true sense, but the Spurs are especially impressive. The Pacers have a lot of young guys entering their respective primes, where as the Spurs suffered a depressing loss in the NBA final last season and lost a couple of players (DuJuan Blair, Gary Neal and Stephen Jackson). You'd think losing three guys who were in all in the rotation (Neal and Jackson were getting 20 minutes a game, Blair 14), would impact your level of play, but the Spurs are actually off to a better start than last season.

Coupled with the players they saw leave, it was also clear last season that Ginobil's play was being impact by his age. This year, he is posting his lowest FG% ever and his lowest assist numbers since his rookie year. Duncan, likewise, is finally seeing a significant decrease in level of play. He is posting the worse per36 numbers of his career and is shooting under .400 from the floor, easily his career worst. Had you told me in February that the Spurs would lose Neal, Blair and Jackson and that Ginobili and Duncan would be posting the worst numbers of their careers, I would have assumed that they'd be fighting for a playoff spot; instead they have the best record in the league.

Thoughts? Is this level of play a result of Pop? Or Parker?

sunsfan88
11-17-2013, 07:45 AM
Spurs are like the exact opposite of the Warriors.

The Warriors are seen as young and exciting while the Spurs are presumed as old and boring lol.

But hey, boring and old has got the work done.

kblo247
11-17-2013, 07:46 AM
Doesn't matter, its nice, but all that matters is doing something they've never been able to do ... Make consecutive finals.

They've had hot starts before after a title run, but fizzled out mentally and physically.

AnthonyTyrael2
11-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Not a fan of them but they've earned my respect over the years. Great franchise since mid ninetees.

wowzah
11-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Tony Parker is the best PG in the NBA. And it's just that simple. His quickness and vision is unbelievable. Best slasher in the NBA.

torocan
11-17-2013, 10:57 AM
The Spurs have been so obscenely good for so ridiculously long you start to take it for granted.

Great management, amazing coach, fantastic team chemistry, great player development, and 50+ wins for over a decade.

It reminds me of The Usual Suspects.

The greatest accomplishment of the Spurs is to make the world believe that a bad Spurs team doesn't exist...

waveycrockett
11-17-2013, 11:03 AM
They have a great system bottom line but they are going to need to find another superstar the way the Rockets were able to in Harden if they want to keep the greatness rolling after TD hangs em up which should be soon. I dont think Kawhi Leonnard is that guy.

THE MTL
11-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Greg pop has a gift. He is truly meant to coach

Avenged
11-17-2013, 12:01 PM
Nothing new here.

Ezio
11-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Give us Marco back :sad2:

SPURSFAN1
11-17-2013, 07:26 PM
They have a great system bottom line but they are going to need to find another superstar the way the Rockets were able to in Harden if they want to keep the greatness rolling after TD hangs em up which should be soon. I dont think Kawhi Leonnard is that guy.

Tony parker didn't look great his first few years. How did that pan out? When Pop says he's the real deal, he's the real deal. People just don't have patience. This year would be his rookie year if he stayed in college. He now has 35 starting playoff games as a 22 year old. Noone really cares about November form.It's about showing up in the playoffs that matters.

SPURSFAN1
11-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Give us Marco back :sad2:

Why did yall let a ballhandler with a decent shot leave? He cost like 2mil per year too. lol.

KnicksorBust
11-17-2013, 07:34 PM
Duncan is finally declining. This Spurs team wont see the WCF.

SPURSFAN1
11-17-2013, 07:38 PM

Wut? It's freaking november. We had lost like 8 out of our last 10 games last year before playoffs. People said we wouldn't get out of the first round. lol The spurs kick it to high gear in the playoffs.

KnicksorBust
11-17-2013, 08:10 PM

Wut? It's freaking november. We had lost like 8 out of our last 10 games last year before playoffs. People said we wouldn't get out of the first round. lol The spurs kick it to high gear in the playoffs.

You honestly dont see Duncans decline?

SPURSFAN1
11-17-2013, 08:16 PM

I don't see it. He had 2 bad games. Does that make a season? I guess since things can't be corrected now, the knicks go on to miss the playoffs. Can you see that happening?

SPURSFAN1
11-17-2013, 08:17 PM
and jr smith keeps shooting bricks for the rest of the season.

P&GRealist
11-17-2013, 08:20 PM
They choked in Game 6 of the Finals with poor coaching in those last 2 games from the supposed best coach in the league. It really doesn't matter if they have another 60+ win season. They couldn't seal the deal and left much to be desired last yr. When the pressure is on for the Spurs, boy do they fall flat on their face.

The regular season is essentially no pressure for them; the regular season is the Spurs season. That's their comfort zone.

SPURSFAN1
11-17-2013, 08:23 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/Spurs-trophies20090312.jpg

yes the spurs only get it done in the regular season. not to mention all the western conference finals appearances.

P&GRealist
11-17-2013, 08:26 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/Spurs-trophies20090312.jpg

yes the spurs only get it done in the regular season. not to mention all the western conference finals appearances.

You guys have repeatedly choked year after year. No matter how many series you have home court advantage or being the #1 seed or taking away home court advantage while being the road team, you guys always give it back. You guys never seem to be able to capitalize, and what Popovich did with his rotations in Games 6 and 7 and playing Parker and Ginobili at the wrong times and not putting the Spurs best rebounders at their, which enabled Miami to repeatedly get offensive rebounds, which led to that Allen 3 was huge.

I have no personal agenda against the Spurs, but if there's any team that really "dropped" the ball in NBA Finals history, it's your 2013 Spurs.

Ezio
11-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Why did yall let a ballhandler with a decent shot leave? He cost like 2mil per year too. lol.

No cap space. Signed Dunleavy with basically the only money we had.

KnicksorBust
11-17-2013, 09:32 PM
I don't see it. He had 2 bad games. Does that make a season? I guess since things can't be corrected now, the knicks go on to miss the playoffs. Can you see that happening?

2 bad games? Well that's just factually wrong.

KnicksorBust
11-17-2013, 09:34 PM
and jr smith keeps shooting bricks for the rest of the season.

:laugh:

It's comical how frequently people feel the need to bait me about the Knicks. Can you not form an argument without attacking my team?

Oh and by the way, JR smith will continue shooting bricks all season so that's a pretty bad example. :)

Shlumpledink
11-17-2013, 09:47 PM
Finally people will begin to see how great a player of Tony Parker is, and how great Pop is at coaching, and how great of an organization the san antonio spurs are. They draft well, and sign guys that fit the system and run it well. It is a beauty to see an organization like this during the free agent era

koreancabbage
11-17-2013, 10:33 PM
their old stars are exactly that - old BUT they are well coached who know his players like no other coach.

P&GRealist
11-17-2013, 10:35 PM
their old stars are exactly that - old BUT they are well coached who know his players like no other coach.

After Game 6 and 7 end game rotation blunders on the part of Popovich on the biggest stage, he no longer deserves to hold the title of best coach in the league. I mean, I can understand 1 game, but 2 games back-to-back, costing a chance at the title 2 straight times?

flea
11-17-2013, 10:44 PM
After Game 6 and 7 end game rotation blunders on the part of Popovich on the biggest stage, he no longer deserves to hold the title of best coach in the league. I mean, I can understand 1 game, but 2 games back-to-back, costing a chance at the title 2 straight times?

I see you trollin.

SPURSFAN1
11-17-2013, 10:59 PM
I see you trollin.

I just don't reply to fools like them.

FlashBolt
11-18-2013, 01:47 AM
Pop is still the MVP of that Spurs team. Their players are built around Pop's fundamentals. If you take Pop and put any other coach, they wouldn't be nearly as successful. Pop is the greatest coach of all time. I gave the nod to Doc a couple of season(s), but Pop is seriously the best coach you can find.

Longhornfan1234
11-18-2013, 01:49 AM
Duncan has been done for awhile. Parker has been carrying him since '07.

Alayla
11-18-2013, 10:25 AM

i wouldn't go quite that far but Parker is a better player than people realize and the Spurs team as a whole is younger than people realize .

Heediot
11-18-2013, 10:30 AM
The Spurs have been so obscenely good for so ridiculously long you start to take it for granted.

Great management, amazing coach, fantastic team chemistry, great player development, and 50+ wins for over a decade.

It reminds me of The Usual Suspects.

The greatest accomplishment of the Spurs is to make the world believe that a bad Spurs team doesn't exist...

What's possibly scary and interesting is most of their contracts all expire at the same time after next season. I wonder if Buford and Pops are going to build from scratch? IF so, I want to see Pops true genius with a brand new squad.

kdspurman
11-18-2013, 11:09 AM

I see him missing a lot of open jumpshots (some long, some short) and while taking less shots in the paint. 1 could see it as preserving his body for the long run

kdspurman
11-18-2013, 11:10 AM

Then there's people like this, who don't understand Duncan's defensive dominance. Like he wasn't a serious DPOY candidate last season.

kdspurman
11-18-2013, 11:21 AM
Regarding the topic, we have played a fairly light schedule thus far, (though 5 games in 7 nights is always tough on an older team) so we'll see how they are once the competition stiffens up a little.

I've been really high on our 2nd unit though. Diaw looks like a whole new player. He's not just looking to pass the ball, he's posting up, hitting the 3, and driving to the rim with a purpose. It's a contract year for him, but nonetheless, he looks like he's playing with a lot more fire which is great.

Belinelli is fitting in seamlessly. Great passer, can knock down the 3, and has developed great chemistry already. Once he & Manu really hit their stride together, + Diaw, there's going to be some exciting ball off that bench.

Patty Mills also looks like a new player. (literally) lost a ton of weight, shooting the ball very well, and a feisty defender.

Parker has also been pretty dam clutch in close game situations...

Not worried about Duncan's horrendous shooting yet. He's in a shooting slump, and I know he'll get it going. For those who don't watch on a nightly basis and just look at the #'s, I could see why they think he's done. For those who actually watch would know he's getting some good looks, they just aren't falling. His mobility is still there which is why I'm not too concerned 10 games in.

waveycrockett
11-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Tony parker didn't look great his first few years. How did that pan out? When Pop says he's the real deal, he's the real deal. People just don't have patience. This year would be his rookie year if he stayed in college. He now has 35 starting playoff games as a 22 year old. Noone really cares about November form.It's about showing up in the playoffs that matters.

Tony Parker was taking over Finals games as a 19-20 year old. He was on another level compared to Leonard

2-ONE-5
11-18-2013, 12:09 PM

how can you?

kdspurman
11-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Tony Parker was taking over Finals games as a 19-20 year old. He was on another level compared to Leonard

Parker was benched in the 4th quarter of the 2003 finals for Speedy Claxton. Leonard's first finals was probably more impressive than Tony's simply cause of the tasks that were asked of him with guarding Lebron. Plus he rebounded very well and was pretty darn efficient. They're 2 different kinds of players though, but Parker was very much a work in progress. He really didn't hit his stride until his mid-range game became nearly automatic. Forced teams to play up on him

wowzah
11-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Duncan has been in decline since 07 we get it. But he was the best big man in the game last year. Could anybody else do the things he was doing last year in the playoffs? The totality of his game? No.

wowzah
11-18-2013, 01:22 PM

LOL.

Summary of the 2003 Finals: Tim Duncan

Summary of basically the whole Damn 2002-2003 season: Tim Duncan

Parker wasn't really involved in much of the gameplan that year.

waveycrockett
11-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Parker was benched in the 4th quarter of the 2003 finals for Speedy Claxton. Leonard's first finals was probably more impressive than Tony's simply cause of the tasks that were asked of him with guarding Lebron. Plus he rebounded very well and was pretty darn efficient. They're 2 different kinds of players though, but Parker was very much a work in progress. He really didn't hit his stride until his mid-range game became nearly automatic. Forced teams to play up on him

I watched that Final Series. He was 19-20 years old during that series and he was running J.Kidd in circles who was a premier defender at the time. Obviously he was inconsistent and couldn't guard Kidd but Nets came away so impressed the tried to trade Kidd for Parker that summer. Leonard at 22 was not THAT impressive.

wowzah
11-18-2013, 01:40 PM
I watched that Final Series. He was 19-20 years old during that series and he was running J.Kidd in circles who was a premier defender at the time. Obviously he was inconsistent and couldn't guard Kidd but Nets came away so impressed the tried to trade Kidd for Parker that summer. Leonard at 22 was not THAT impressive.

Parker could always fly. But his game was non existant at that point.

kdspurman
11-18-2013, 01:44 PM

Parker's first finals appearance- 14ppg/4.1apg/35%/35.3 mpg

Leonard's first finals appearance- 14.5ppg/11.1 rpg/2spg/51.7%/ 36mpg

Leonard was also tasked with guarding Lebron & Wade for the bulk of the series and did an exceptional job. It was the 2nd year for both guys, so using the age as any sort of measuring stick is not going to be accurate because TP came in at a younger age.

Leonard's impact in his first finals was much more significant than TP's first finals. Parker was good at times no doubt. But Leonard was much more impactful on both ends of the court. He effected the game in so many ways

Btw, Pop said (it was rumored the Spurs were going for Kidd to trade Parker) that the plan was to keep Parker and have Kidd play next to him at the 2 spot, that many think it was to get rid of Parker.

archdevil84
11-18-2013, 02:10 PM
how bout them bobcats

KnicksorBust
11-18-2013, 06:44 PM

Ew. His resurgence last year was phenomenal. On both ends of the floor. You don't know what you're talking about.

I see him missing a lot of open jumpshots (some long, some short) and while taking less shots in the paint. 1 could see it as preserving his body for the long run

I'll keep watching but he and KG seem to be simultaneously eroding in front of my eyes. The decline has two parts. There's the dip and then the plummet. Welcome to part 2. There's a reason they say big men age in dog years.

kdspurman
11-18-2013, 07:13 PM
I'll keep watching but he and KG seem to be simultaneously eroding in front of my eyes. The decline has two parts. There's the dip and then the plummet. Welcome to part 2. There's a reason they say big men age in dog years.

It's certainly a possibility, and maybe my homerism is putting me in denial... But I'm being patient and seeing where he is in another month or so. He's had a tough summer, outside of everything basketball related. I guess we'll see what happens. I feel like KG has been struggling the past couple years with health and stuff. Hopefully both guys can get better