PDA

View Full Version : Kobe returns to practice

Stunner
11-16-2013, 05:35 PM
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/401812901377630208

shep33
11-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Freak of nature... although, he should sit out until Christmas. Don't come back too soon

jerellh528
11-16-2013, 05:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/MXcEPFS.png

THE MTL
11-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Im NOT surprised at all. Im convinced that Kobe Bryant has some type of x-men wolverine healing factor.

A_Bynum_sucks
11-16-2013, 06:38 PM
By the time he returns, it will have been no faster then alot of other players who had the same Injury. But the problem is that NO NBA player who suffered a complete Achillis tear has EVER comeback to be the same player.
And the ones who did make it back, were way younger then Kobe is, and even then they were not the same. Bottom line is I wish Kobe well...but, he is basically done as a player. No team should give him a new HUGE contract. It would be a waste of money. Sure, if he agreed to a Vet minimum deal...thats fine. But Kobe has the biggest Ego in the league. And NO WAY will he re-sign with L.A. for anything less then 20-25 million on the first year of a new deal that he will demand goes at LEAST 3 years. And a first year Cap number of over 20 million basically eliminates most of the Lakers Cap space for next off-season....and they would still have to totally renounce Gasol to get that.

So basically...The Lakers are FINISHED...for a while anyways...and Kobe is on his very final legs...or Achillis if you will :D

DC Laker
11-16-2013, 06:51 PM
By the time he returns, it will have been no faster then alot of other players who had the same Injury. But the problem is that NO NBA player who suffered a complete Achillis tear has EVER comeback to be the same player.
And the ones who did make it back, were way younger then Kobe is, and even then they were not the same. Bottom line is I wish Kobe well...but, he is basically done as a player. No team should give him a new HUGE contract. It would be a waste of money. Sure, if he agreed to a Vet minimum deal...thats fine. But Kobe has the biggest Ego in the league. And NO WAY will he re-sign with L.A. for anything less then 20-25 million on the first year of a new deal that he will demand goes at LEAST 3 years. And a first year Cap number of over 20 million basically eliminates most of the Lakers Cap space for next off-season....and they would still have to totally renounce Gasol to get that.

So basically...The Lakers are FINISHED...for a while anyways...and Kobe is on his very final legs...or Achillis if you will :D

You should check your facts. Dominique Wilkens tore it at nearly the same age and scored More Points Per Game following the surgery.

Not to mention that the surgery has advanced a lot since then.

Don't be so fast to pronounce Kobe and the Lakers as dead.

EL_MACHETE
11-16-2013, 06:54 PM
This is good to hear, I'm glad your feeling better Kobe. Hope you get well soon

Hawkeye15
11-16-2013, 07:02 PM
great to hear, just hope Kobe doesn't push it too much and end up putting too much stress on his achilles, or another part of his body that is over compensating. He really should sit out until his body is ready. But hey, maybe Kobe makes a miracle recovery and plays strong this season.

DaLakerz Rulz
11-16-2013, 07:02 PM

All irrelevant points. He is free as seagull and the achilles will not hold him to the ground.

A_Bynum_sucks
11-16-2013, 07:16 PM
You should check your facts. Dominique Wilkens tore it at nearly the same age and scored More Points Per Game following the surgery.

Not to mention that the surgery has advanced a lot since then.

Don't be so fast to pronounce Kobe and the Lakers as dead.

Check MY Facts ? Okay Hommie. Here's a few FACTS for you. Number one, yes, both Wilkens and Kobe were CLOSE to the same age when they each Injured their Achillies...Wilkens was 32, and Kobe 34 1/2. However LITTLE Boy....Age is NOT the Issue here. Age is totally IRRELIVANT when it comes to comparing the two players.
It is the MILAGE My Idiotic friend. You say Check MY Facts ?

Well, CHECK this out...at the time of Wilkens Achillies Injury, he had played a TOTAL of under 27,000 Minutes as a Pro player. As where Kobe, when he Injured his Achillies...which by the way was a COMPLETE TEAR of ALL areas of his Achillies...as where Wilkens Partially tore his...Kobe has played " 45,390 " Minutes Son!

And even WITH Wilkens playing another FEW seasons in the NBA...The others were over seas in Italy and Greece....Wilkens still ONLY played a GRAND total of 38,113 Minutes Kobe had almost 20,000 MORE Minutes on his Body...On his Ankles, and ON HIS ACHILLIES when he got hurt then when Wilkens got his Injury.

So comparing those two situations is about as STUPID as you are...." Hommie "

Here ENDITH the Lesson!!

hidalgo
11-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Check MY Facts ? Okay Hommie. Here's a few FACTS for you. Number one, yes, both Wilkens and Kobe were CLOSE to the same age when they each Injured their Achillies...Wilkens was 32, and Kobe 34 1/2. However LITTLE Boy....Age is NOT the Issue here. Age is totally IRRELIVANT when it comes to comparing the two players.

Well, CHECK this out...at the time of Wilkens Achillies Injury, he had played a TOTAL of under 27,000 Minutes as a Pro player. As where Kobe, when he Injured his Achillies...which by the way was a COMPLETE TEAR of ALL areas of his Achillies...as where Wilkens Partially tore his...Kobe has played " 45,390 " Minutes Son!

And even WITH Wilkens playing another FEW seasons in the NBA...The others were over seas in Italy and Greece....Wilkens still ONLY played a GRAND total of 38,113 Minutes Kobe had almost 20,000 MORE Minutes on his Body...On his Ankles, and ON HIS ACHILLIES when he got hurt then when Wilkens got his Injury.

Here ENDITH the Lesson!!I don't get it. doesn't that just tell you that the achillies can go no matter how many minutes you've logged?

plenty of players who logged far less minutes than Kobe tore their achillies, & were never the same. Wilkins the one exception. minutes don't seem to matter with this freak injury

A_Bynum_sucks
11-16-2013, 07:57 PM
I don't get it. doesn't that just tell you that the achillies can go no matter how man minutes you've logged?

plenty of players who logged far less minutes than Kobe tore their achillies, & were never the same. Wilkins the one exception. minutes don't seem to matter with this freak injury

The Injury is not the issue. The fact that Kobe has played over 45,000 NBA minutes IS the issue. Even if Kobe never hurt his Achillies at the end of last season, he still has a TON of Minutes played...and when you look at other simular players who played around that many NBA Minutes, they ALL, all of a sudden went from 25 + point a game star scorers to the next season..even without being Injured went to a 17 point scorer, and shot a way worse FG percentage. MJ...Clyde Drexler, ect. So don't assume that Kobe is anymore of a Freak then they are...cause he's not. Kobe MIGHT make it back..and he MIGHT score 25 + points for the rest of this season..but he will all of a sudden break down Physically. However, having suffered a horrible, complete tear of the Achillies will NOT help his situation.

LAKobeBryant
11-16-2013, 07:59 PM
he should sit out this year and tank for high pick + massive cap space :D

Pablonovi
11-16-2013, 08:04 PM
This is great news. I don't think Kobe will come back too soon; he knows how much is at stake for both the team this year and the rest of his career. Can't wait till he's back playing. Can't wait to see some video of him even in practice - it seems like it's been so long; whereas actually he's hardly missed any games at all.

P&GRealist
11-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Only 7 months? So basically he was faking it all along.

DillyDill
11-16-2013, 10:24 PM
I hope he doesn't rush this I want atleast a top 10 pick

Hawkeye15
11-16-2013, 10:30 PM
I hope he doesn't rush this I want atleast a top 10 pick

meh, there is no way the Lakers are making the playoffs, unless some teams get destroyed by injuries. Nash is already missing at least 25 games, and not effective, and you are needing contributions from guys who barely belong in a rotation. The Lakers know they are not competing this year. Kobe's return will help them win enough games to take them out of a serious lottery pick. That is, unless the NBA gives them a top 3 pick even when they end up with 30-35 wins.

Maddog-99
11-16-2013, 11:08 PM

Here ENDITH the Lesson!!

Man, youve dug yourself in pretty good.
Youre going to be really bummed if Kobe comes back & triumphs. bummer.

beliges
11-16-2013, 11:37 PM

Kobe is a completely different animal than Nique or any other player really. He's not going to ask for that much money. He just wants to continue adding to his ring collection. He'll be back and back to an elite player. Regardless of the loss of nearly all.athleticism he's still by far more skilled and more fundamental than anyone playing today.

Almighty Push
11-17-2013, 12:20 AM
ze gratest

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-17-2013, 02:31 AM
he should sit out this year and tank for high pick + massive cap space :D

I'm praying for this

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-17-2013, 02:32 AM
ze gratest

no ? asked

tmacsc2
11-17-2013, 02:52 AM
Meh Terrell Suggs came back from his Achilles injury in 6 months I believe.

P&GRealist
11-17-2013, 03:39 AM
Meh Terrell Suggs came back from his Achilles injury in 6 months I believe.

Terrell Suggs tore his Achilles at age 30 going on 31 and playing in his 10th season. And probably in the prime of his career.

Kobe Bryant tore his Achilles at age 34 going on 35 and playing in his 17th season. And those are probably the longest 17 years ever with 54K+ minutes. And he was already somewhat on the decline.

Big difference.

kblo247
11-17-2013, 04:33 AM
meh, there is no way the Lakers are making the playoffs, unless some teams get destroyed by injuries. Nash is already missing at least 25 games, and not effective, and you are needing contributions from guys who barely belong in a rotation. The Lakers know they are not competing this year. Kobe's return will help them win enough games to take them out of a serious lottery pick. That is, unless the NBA gives them a top 3 pick even when they end up with 30-35 wins.

Didn't you say no way last year too?

Didn't Minny (the year before) and Portland also start hot last year and not make it? Don't they have terrible injury histories? I'd worry more about them keeping pace than LA missing it. Just talking facts, Loves stats haven't equated to wins and a playoff spot. Fact, no team starting Kevin Martin has ever made a playoffs. Fact Portland has the worse training staff in the history of the league and Aldridge isn't a defensive stalwart.

Another fun fact, the past 3-4 seasons Houston has been a worse after the break team than they were before it.

The Lakers have a shot, the hole was much deeper and the injuries way worse last year without their two PGs, Metta hurt, Pau missing a month, Dwight out, jamison playing with torn ligaments, and Kobe logging incredible minutes. But the thing is they got in and with the leagues second best record of 30 teams in that second half. Kobe's teams have only missed the playoffs once, and then when Kobe/LO/Caron played, they were the 5th seed win percentage wise.

Heck a 3 game hole isn't hard at all to overcome for 500 and the team has been right there in all the losses just can't close because no one can get a shot. They were there vs Denver, SA, and NOLA. Paus been ineffective but Kobe's always upped his efficiency. Kobe's always upped every bigs effectiveness mostly, so Hill will get more chippy as will Kaman. Then there's the fact that this team is shooting the 3 well and that bodes well for the leagues best post player last year in terms of conversion and points per post up.

kblo247
11-17-2013, 04:39 AM
Terrell Suggs tore his Achilles at age 30 going on 31 and playing in his 10th season. And probably in the prime of his career.

Kobe Bryant tore his Achilles at age 34 going on 35 and playing in his 17th season. And those are probably the longest 17 years ever with 54K+ minutes. And he was already somewhat on the decline.

Big difference.

Kobe also had a different procedure to make sure that it could never be torn let alone rupture again, which as Dr Kappler explained makes breaking down the scar tissue tedious, which was the longest part of his rehab phase along with conditioning.

IKnowHoops
11-17-2013, 02:13 PM

Didn't Minny (the year before) and Portland also start hot last year and not make it? Don't they have terrible injury histories? I'd worry more about them keeping pace than LA missing it. Just talking facts, Loves stats haven't equated to wins and a playoff spot. Fact, no team starting Kevin Martin has ever made a playoffs. Fact Portland has the worse training staff in the history of the league and Aldridge isn't a defensive stalwart.

Another fun fact, the past 3-4 seasons Houston has been a worse after the break team than they were before it.

The Lakers have a shot, the hole was much deeper and the injuries way worse last year without their two PGs, Metta hurt, Pau missing a month, Dwight out, jamison playing with torn ligaments, and Kobe logging incredible minutes. But the thing is they got in and with the leagues second best record of 30 teams in that second half. Kobe's teams have only missed the playoffs once, and then when Kobe/LO/Caron played, they were the 5th seed win percentage wise.

Heck a 3 game hole isn't hard at all to overcome for 500 and the team has been right there in all the losses just can't close because no one can get a shot. They were there vs Denver, SA, and NOLA. Paus been ineffective but Kobe's always upped his efficiency. Kobe's always upped every bigs effectiveness mostly, so Hill will get more chippy as will Kaman. Then there's the fact that this team is shooting the 3 well and that bodes well for the leagues best post player last year in terms of conversion and points per post up.

Man, I think you are really wishing on a star with this one. Nothing would surprise me more than if Kobe were able to come back this year, play at the same level he did before he got hurt, and lead the lakers to a playoff birth. I would give him incredible props for this because the Lakers are trash without him, an I don't think he can take a trash team and make them any better.

ManRam
11-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Very curious to see how he plays. Hopefully he's not pushing it too much. No reason to sacrifice any more of your team for this team this year. I know it's Kobe and discretion is never the better part of valor for him, but still.

We're at what, 7 months now? Probably gonna hit the middle of that initial 6-9 months prognosis. Pretty impressive.

jerellh528
11-17-2013, 02:33 PM
Finally, the nba is just so much better when he plays.

savvy1803
11-17-2013, 06:31 PM

Agree kblo247 , it will be a tough road for sure but they have a shot , it's still early in the season . It will be nice to see Kobe back on the floor and playing for the purple and gold once again , best of luck Mamba .

Hawkeye15
11-17-2013, 06:57 PM

I don't remember saying the Lakers would not be a playoff team last year at all dude. Quite the contrary.

They have too much to overcome imo. They need other teams to falter, and for their health issues to go right. Nash is already missing at least 22-25 games. Kobe won't be Kobe, at least for a while. In the west, you just can't fall too far behind.

This is their year to fall off. I just don't see anyway around it, outside miraculous circumstances that they have no control over.

NBA_Starter
11-17-2013, 11:21 PM
The return has to be near.

kblo247
11-18-2013, 01:00 AM
^^^ you think he goes for the poetic return? Went down 3x vs GSW in staples, so return to staples vs the same warriors.

@hawkeye, I really don't know. I mean even Kobe, he had a different surgery and Dr Kappler went into great detail about the surgical procedure they used to make sure the Achilles wouldn't rupture and how tedious his rehab was. I mean he's been smart more than foolish with this, like going to Germany right before his blackout training. He's also had therapists and the like with him full time. I'm not expecting him to walk in to the building and be the guy who closed last season, but the team doesn't need that right now. They just need an all star caliber guy to help them close games and offer a cool head, and sometimes a hard as to get on Pau when he drifts. He will get better as the season does, but 2 games under is better than 8 games under and that schedule from hell with a bunch of injuries and slow guys like last year. This year they have athletes and shooting, which should help in the meantime. Dantoni can screw it up if he forces Nash back in and takes Blake, Meeks, Hill, and Young out their comfort zones they found though. I'm willing to bet they get in

jerellh528
11-18-2013, 02:23 AM
They've got the pieces. They're just missing that reliable scorer / closer away from being a playoff team. Kobe should hopefully bring that and they should be able to make the playoffs. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up for interpretation.

PurpleLynch
11-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Black Mamba will rise...again.

Pablonovi
11-20-2013, 02:00 AM
Finally, the nba is just so much better when he plays.

Hey jerellh528,
Amen, bro!

Pablonovi
11-20-2013, 02:02 AM
They've got the pieces. They're just missing that reliable scorer / closer away from being a playoff team. Kobe should hopefully bring that and they should be able to make the playoffs. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up for interpretation.

Hey jerellh528,
Glad to say (cause it's not always the case about our beloved Kobe (somehow you "love"/rank him even more/higher than me) but) I agree completely.

Pablonovi
11-20-2013, 02:04 AM
The return has to be near.

Hey NBA_Starter & still PSD All-Time #1,
Has to be.
I'm so excited; somehow, much much more than even I thought I would be. I just can not wait.
Bring It, Black Mamba, Bring It!

Pablonovi
11-20-2013, 02:34 AM
In response to many people's worries/cautions about Kobe coming back too soon. At first, and still sometimes, I feel this concern too. On the other hand, who better than he understands what's at stake for both him and the team. Before he steps on the court, he'll be as sure as anyone can be reasonably sure that he not only can physically handle it (in terms of re-injuring, or incurring some other injury BECAUSE he is compensating for it); but that he can play at a very high level. He, of all people, would not risk his career coming back too soon.

Personally, he still has an outside shot to move further up the All-Time GOAT list. Why do I say this. Because it's NOT his PEAK that put him up so high (and almost 100% sure, he won't ever get back to that level again); it's his incredible 15* year-long continued play as #1 SG and Top 5ish All-NBA. Only KAJ beats that (perhaps only Timmy can be said to rival it). IF he can add another monster year (or two or three); then he's at least, temporarily (watch out for LeBron here), #1 for longest sustained excellence in NBA history and that's no small factor in All-Time GOAT rankings.

Team-wise, he might be able to lead this rag-tag squad made up of players that would not make hardly any other team's starting 5 (based on the admittedly small sample size so far), ... he might lead this team to the playoffs. What a f_cking thrill for us Lakers die-hards, and, for all fans of a great story and/or of great stars doing great things.

P.S. And, very importantly, any team with Kobe on it, has at least a fighter's chance at more rings. That'd be great for the team and equally great for his career-worth ranking.
* I originally put 16 year-long; but I just counted wrong / got sloppy, he's completed 17 years so far, and his first two years can not be included as great years.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-20-2013, 02:41 AM
he could play friday

P&GRealist
11-20-2013, 03:15 AM
He was faking it the entire time, that attention whore.

lol, please
11-20-2013, 04:35 PM
I'm glad he's coming back, but it won't help the Lakers.