PDA

View Full Version : Lamar Odom To Return To The Clippers?

Clippersfan86
11-16-2013, 01:42 AM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9983523/lamar-odom-meets-los-angeles-clippers-two-hours-friday?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Met with the Clippers for two hours today. According to "sources" it would be very surprising if he DOESN'T re-sign. In recent weeks multiple Clippers teammates, including Griffin and Paul have expressed a desire to have Odom return to the team. People may laugh and say he's done but he had the best rebounding year of his career last year and anchored the bench defense along with Bledsoe. Definitely an upgrade over Hollins.

P&GRealist
11-16-2013, 01:48 AM
He also spoke with Lakers brass over the phone sometime last month. Nothing came to fruition.

Clippers already have Jamison to a guaranteed deal as he rots at the end of the Clipper bench. Why bring back Odom?

Clippersfan86
11-16-2013, 01:50 AM
He also spoke with Lakers brass over the phone sometime last month. Nothing came to fruition.

Clippers already have Jamison to a guaranteed deal as he rots at the end of the Clipper bench. Why bring back Odom?

Odom would immediately be the first backup big most likely. Doc claims he's saving Jamison for later in the season. So basically Odom would be eating up all of Mullens/Hollins minutes which would be a HUGE boost for the team. Last year our defensive rating with Odom on the floor was something absurd like 89. He also had a career best rebounding year. His offense is **** but with Collison/Crawford/Barnes.. all we need is for him to D+R.

Also Odom has burned far more bridges with the Lakers I believe. Clippers front office/teammates wanted him back this summer, but then he vanished on a crack binge or w/e. The team was going to re-sign him.

P&GRealist
11-16-2013, 01:57 AM
Odom would immediately be the first backup big most likely. Doc claims he's saving Jamison for later in the season. So basically Odom would be eating up all of Mullens/Hollins minutes which would be a HUGE boost for the team. Last year our defensive rating with Odom on the floor was something absurd like 89. He also had a career best rebounding year. His offense is **** but with Collison/Crawford/Barnes.. all we need is for him to D+R.

Also Odom has burned far more bridges with the Lakers I believe. Clippers front office/teammates wanted him back this summer, but then he vanished on a crack binge or w/e. The team was going to re-sign him.
The Lakers love Lamar and he loves them back, because Kobe and Pau would know how to use him best.

Hopefully Doc uses him better than Del Negro did last season and Carlisle did the yr before. He just hasn't been used right.

When CP3 goes out of the game, I would have Collison and Odom make plays for the 2nd unit. That would be the way to go. And get Lamar some post up opportunities as well.

beasted86
11-16-2013, 02:10 AM
Best rebounding year? I'm betting that's using something skewed like rebound % or per 36, disregarding that the numbers are skewed by the fact he probably played a career low minutes, and the smallest role he's had in his career so all he had to do was basically rebound.... he no longer handled the ball nor was asked to score. Also the more important thing, is just taking a wild guess, but I'd bet a stack that whatever "career rebounding" he had didn't continue into the playoffs.

He is 34 and with has a history of having to be whipped into shape in training camp, which he won't get this time around. I don't see how he is much of an upgrade over Mullens or Hollins... just a lateral move at best.

Clippersfan86
11-16-2013, 02:13 AM
Best rebounding year? I'm betting that's using something skewed like rebound % or per 36, disregarding that the numbers are skewed by the fact he probably played a career low minutes, and the smallest role he's had in his career so all he had to do was basically rebound.... he no longer handled the ball nor was asked to score. Also the more important thing, is just taking a wild guess, but I'd bet a dub that whatever "career rebounding" he had didn't continue into the playoffs.

He is 34 and with has a history of having to be whipped into shape in training camp, which he won't get this time around. I don't see how he is much of an upgrade over Mullens or Hollins... just a lateral move at best.

1. Yes rebound percentage and rebound rate which are far more meaningful when judging a rebounder than rebounds per game. For example Reggie Evans doesn't start but we all know he's up there.

2. Odom dropped off some in the playoffs, but not as much as a lot of our main guys.

3. He's much thinner right now than he was last year when he lost 32 pounds from training camp through about January.

4. Have you been watching Mullens/Hollins? Anybody who has would know that Odom even on a crack binge in Mavericks form>>>big upgrade. Offensively he's a downgrade but our HUGE bench flaw right now is bench defense/rebounding which is HISTORICALLY bad.

P&GRealist
11-16-2013, 02:16 AM
1. Yes rebound percentage and rebound rate which are far more meaningful when judging a rebounder than rebounds per game. For example Reggie Evans doesn't start but we all know he's up there.

2. Odom dropped off some in the playoffs, but not as much as a lot of our main guys.

3. He's much thinner right now than he was last year when he lost 32 pounds from training camp through about January.

4. Have you been watching Mullens/Hollins? Anybody who has would know that Odom even on a crack binge in Mavericks form>>>big upgrade. Offensively he's a downgrade but our HUGE bench flaw right now is bench defense/rebounding which is HISTORICALLY bad.

Again, Odom is not a downgrade offensively if you know how to use him correctly. If you just have him hovering around the 3 pt line lollygaggin and being a mute spectator like the last 2 yrs, then yes, he really has nothing to offer offensively.

Learn to use him like Phil Jackson did, it will pay dividends for you guys.

beasted86
11-16-2013, 02:38 AM

I think you are suffering from backup quarterback syndrome aka grass-is-always-greener syndrome.

The real problem is the perimeter defense sucks. Point, period, Jared Dudley is a lot worse than pretty much everyone expected, even me. Reddick had always been poor, but Dudley is seemingly just as bad. I don't know why I was fooled into thinking he was decent or above average.

bholly
11-16-2013, 02:41 AM
Best rebounding year? I'm betting that's using something skewed like rebound % or per 36, disregarding that the numbers are skewed by the fact he probably played a career low minutes, and the smallest role he's had in his career so all he had to do was basically rebound.... he no longer handled the ball nor was asked to score. Also the more important thing, is just taking a wild guess, but I'd bet a stack that whatever "career rebounding" he had didn't continue into the playoffs.

What makes rebound % 'skewed'?

beasted86
11-16-2013, 03:01 AM
What makes rebound % 'skewed'?

Lack of common sense does.

Clippersfan86
11-16-2013, 03:07 AM
I think you are suffering from backup quarterback syndrome aka grass-is-always-greener syndrome.

The real problem is the perimeter defense sucks. Point, period, Jared Dudley is a lot worse than pretty much everyone expected, even me. Reddick had always been poor, but Dudley is seemingly just as bad. I don't know why I was fooled into thinking he was decent or above average.

Huh? He was a huge part of our bench less than a year ago, why am I Monday Quarterbacking? Bench wise our interior defense is worse than our outside D. We are getting TORCHED on layups, wide open dunks, runners etc, more so than 3's. Redick absolutely is NOT a poor defender. He's been our best wing defender all year and has the best P/M on the entire team. At worst he's an average to solid defender the last 2 or 3 seasons.

Dudley is struggling with a knee injury all year long, it's still early. I'm going to second Holly's question and ask you what makes you think rebounding percentage is skewed? Rebounds per game is actually the LEAST accurate measurement of rebounding because it adds no context like rebound percentage and per minute rates do.

Sadds The Gr8
11-16-2013, 03:17 AM
he's done

beasted86
11-16-2013, 03:18 AM
Huh? He was a huge part of our bench less than a year ago, why am I Monday Quarterbacking? Bench wise our interior defense is worse than our outside D. We are getting TORCHED on layups, wide open dunks, runners etc, more so than 3's. Redick absolutely is NOT a poor defender. He's been our best wing defender all year and has the best P/M on the entire team. At worst he's an average to solid defender the last 2 or 3 seasons.

Dudley is struggling with a knee injury all year long, it's still early. I'm going to second Holly's question and ask you what makes you think rebounding percentage is skewed? Rebounds per game is actually the LEAST accurate measurement of rebounding because it adds no context like rebound percentage and per minute rates.

Rebound percentage is simply the amount of rebounds grabbed that were available. If you limit the sample by minutes, and competition played against, its easy to mess around with the outcome.

When you are talking about a guy playing a career low minutes, and comparing it to what he did over his entire career much of which he was starting, and on the floor rebounding when higher percentage shooters were in the game, and even given that knowledge only barely beats out other years by 10ths of a percentage, and claiming it was his best rebounding year.... yeah, it lacks a little insight and common sense, and becomes an arbitrary statistic.

bholly
11-16-2013, 03:21 AM
Lack of common sense does.

What? So is your problem that stat or is it the way people use it? Or did I misunderstand?

beasted86
11-16-2013, 03:24 AM
What? So is your problem that stat or is it the way people use it? Or did I misunderstand?

The use in the context of this player.

I looked it up eventually, but I knew it was something really minor and insignificant, and I knew Odom was playing the least he ever had.

Clippersfan86
11-16-2013, 03:26 AM
Rebound percentage is simply the amount of rebounds grabbed that were available. If you limit the sample by minutes, and competition played against, its easy to mess around with the outcome.

When you are talking about a guy playing a career low minutes, and comparing it to what he did over his entire career much of which he was starting, and on the floor rebounding when higher percentage shooters were in the game, and even given that knowledge only barely beats out other years by 10ths of a percentage, and claiming it was his best rebounding year.... yeah, it lacks a little insight and common sense, and becomes an arbitrary statistic.

At worst we can argue it was ONE of his best rebounding years, which makes what I was saying still relevant. He's great on the boards and a good defender. We need that BADLY right now. The minute Blake and D go to the bench our bench bigs give up a historically bad defensive rating, even when playing with starting guards. I understand what you're saying here but I promise I'm not monday quarterbacking. He was good for us last year and I wanted him to return (so did the team). Atrocious offense under Vinny ball... but I don't even care about his offense at this point.

beasted86
11-16-2013, 03:29 AM
At worst we can argue it was ONE of his best rebounding years, which makes what I was saying still relevant. He's great on the boards and a good defender. We need that BADLY right now. The minute Blake and D go to the bench our bench bigs give up a historically bad defensive rating, even when playing with starting guards. I understand what you're saying here but I promise I'm not monday quarterbacking. He was good for us last year and I wanted him to return (so did the team). Atrocious offense under Vinny ball... but I don't even care about his offense at this point.

Well good for you having hope. But if I were a Clipper fan, I'd have no faith in Odom having any sort of shape or timing, offense or defensively. He's 34 and hasn't been playing.

This is a little different than the Chris Andersen with the HEAT. He just won't make as big an impact as you think.