PDA

View Full Version : Are Finals MVPs more important than championship rings for superstar players?

sunsfan88
11-14-2013, 09:11 PM
For superstar players, are Finals MVPs more important than just winning a ring? Because what if Superstar B wins a ring, but someone else on the team, Superstar A was the one that was dominating and Superstar A is the one that got the MVP award?

Not saying that Superstar B didn't help but clearly he didn't help as much as Superstar A.

And when we compare which superstars have how many rings, isn't the point "How many championships was said superstar able to lead his team to"?

Is it fair then to say that Superstar B is better than other the "Superstars" on others because Superstar B has more rings than them? Its not like Superstar B carried his team to win titles like maybe the other superstars that he's being compared to are trying to do.

Long story short: For superstar players, is the Finals MVP award more important than just getting a ring at the expense of another player dominating on your team?

subroc
11-14-2013, 09:30 PM
aaaahhhh...what?

winning is good

FortDetroit
11-14-2013, 09:43 PM
was this meant for the NBA forum? serious question. I don't think i've ever seen the SB referred to as the "finals."

alexander_37
11-14-2013, 09:47 PM
I don't think anyone cares about SB MVP as long as you win.

Norm
11-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Finals MVPs.

OMG, don't get me started with how much I despise the NBA and NBA fans.

sunsfan88
11-14-2013, 10:22 PM
My bad I meant to post this in the NBA forum...

Ah well this is embarrassing....

Norm
11-14-2013, 10:25 PM
My bad I meant to post this in the NBA forum...

Ah well this is embarrassing....

Lmao, just click report on your post and say like "will someone move this to the NBA forum for me"

sunsfan88
11-14-2013, 10:35 PM
Lmao, just click report on your post and say like "will someone move this to the NBA forum for me"

Done. Thanks for that idea :)

C-Wick925
11-14-2013, 10:43 PM
Why on earth would someone watch G-Ball?

Norm
11-14-2013, 10:49 PM
Why on earth would someone watch G-Ball?

Lolwut

C-Wick925
11-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Lolwut

B-Ball? I call it G-Ball cause every "gangsta" from da hood thinks they can be the next MJ

Gangsta Ball

Norm
11-14-2013, 11:06 PM
B-Ball? I call it G-Ball cause every "gangsta" from da hood thinks they can be the next MJ

Gangsta Ball

So true. I bet they could film the courts in the ghetto and nobody would know the difference. No defense, only play when you have the ball, iso every play.

C-Wick925
11-14-2013, 11:08 PM
So true. I bet they could film the courts in the ghetto and nobody would know the difference. No defense, only play when you have the ball, iso every play.

Its ********.. Do some %'s (If you can, I know most arent educated very well in the hoods) 12 players per team 30 teams, 40million little gangstas inspiring for the same thing.... .00004% maybe?

slaker619
11-14-2013, 11:13 PM
Idc Finales MVP's are cared about that much, but great award to win

jerellh528
11-14-2013, 11:15 PM
edit: nvm

Norm
11-14-2013, 11:21 PM
Its ********.. Do some %'s (If you can, I know most arent educated very well in the hoods) 12 players per team 30 teams, 40million little gangstas inspiring for the same thing.... .00004% maybe?

Heh, they talked about this this afternoon how there's no gyms (boxing) anymore and how so many kids aspire to play basketball. Kind of ironic.

chargerSD
11-15-2013, 03:56 AM
Basketball is the only "invented in America" sport and should be respected for that. :D

LongIslandIcedZ
11-15-2013, 04:34 AM
I think in some situations Finals MVP's can be more important.

I'll use the Heat as an example, because their coming off two championships.

From a legacy standpoint, I dont know how much another ring really helps Dwayne Wade. It's clear the team is Lebron's and Wade is just a very good second option. Now if the Heat win and Wade wins FMVP, than I think that gives his legacy a huge boost. For players that are going down as all time greats, Finals MVP's are more important for their legacy.

sunsfan88
11-15-2013, 10:19 AM
I think in some situations Finals MVP's can be more important.

I'll use the Heat as an example, because their coming off two championships.

From a legacy standpoint, I dont know how much another ring really helps Dwayne Wade. It's clear the team is Lebron's and Wade is just a very good second option. Now if the Heat win and Wade wins FMVP, than I think that gives his legacy a huge boost. For players that are going down as all time greats, Finals MVP's are more important for their legacy.

Good point. Another example can be Kobe winnings rings with Shaq. Pippen with Jordan. Many more examples out there.

ManRam
11-15-2013, 01:22 PM
Is this debatable?

Of course Finals MVP is more "important". It's partly individual, where simply winning a ring is pretty heavily dependent on circumstances a player can't control. If we're talking about individual legacies why not focus more on the individual?

Obvious example: Wade is a "star", but he didn't play like one during the last two Finals wins. LeBron is a "star", and played like one during the last two Finals runs. LeBron won the Finals MVP for that reason. He was far more instrumental in winning that ring than Wade...and Finals MVP rewards that.

Shaq v Kobe is another example (especially the earlier ones)
Wade v Shaq, as well
Jordan v Pippen

Rings are such a team-dependent award. Using them for individual legacies can be shaky and often ignore a lot of very important context. Finals MVPs are heavily relent on team as well, but at the same time signify that the player individually was very responsible for actually winning that ring.

tbone2171
11-15-2013, 01:46 PM
Queue the Kobe apologists in 3..2...1

hidalgo
11-15-2013, 05:13 PM
i'd say finals mvp totals are a much bigger deal than just how many championship teams you were on. the finals mvp award means you were the best on the team(usually, at least in the finals). you can get 6 championships with some luck with rosters/coaches/front office ala Kobe(5 titles, but 3 as the 2nd option. inflated asterisk *5, but just 2 as the man), but nobody is gonna touch Michael Jordan's 6 finals mvps. twice as many as the next closest players magic, duncan, shaq with 3 each. so i do think finals mvps are better than total championships, because the finals mvp shows you were the man. it's the most important award in the NBA

ManRam
11-15-2013, 05:51 PM
A ring is a ring.
A Finals MVP is a ring + a Finals MVP

A Finals MVP means that you won a ring, and then some.

It's simple math. Not sure why it's a question...I'm sure there's some anti-Kobe, perhaps anti-Wade, etc. ulterior motive.

championships
11-15-2013, 06:23 PM
So true. I bet they could film the courts in the ghetto and nobody would know the difference. No defense, only play when you have the ball, iso every play.Funny you say such things when your mostly hearing about Shootings, Pushing Large amount of drugs, Murder for hire, Shooting themselves, tragic deaths, Domestic violence, and troubled personalities in the news about Football players.

49ersLALSFGiant
11-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Basketball is the only "invented in America" sport and should be respected for that. :D

Wasn't baseball invented in America as well?

championships
11-15-2013, 06:41 PM
Wasn't baseball invented in America as well?That's been a debate that has been raging on for a century.

Some believe it was invented by Abner Doubleday while others strongly believe the game evolved from english games like rounders and cricket.

Norm
11-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Funny you say such things when your mostly hearing about Shootings, Pushing Large amount of drugs, Murder for hire, Shooting themselves, tragic deaths, Domestic violence, and troubled personalities in the news about Football players.

The NFL is bad too. Doesn't hurt that there are around twice as many NFL players.

sunsfan88
11-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Is this debatable?

Of course Finals MVP is more "important". It's partly individual, where simply winning a ring is pretty heavily dependent on circumstances a player can't control. If we're talking about individual legacies why not focus more on the individual?

Obvious example: Wade is a "star", but he didn't play like one during the last two Finals wins. LeBron is a "star", and played like one during the last two Finals runs. LeBron won the Finals MVP for that reason. He was far more instrumental in winning that ring than Wade...and Finals MVP rewards that.

Shaq v Kobe is another example (especially the earlier ones)
Wade v Shaq, as well
Jordan v Pippen

Rings are such a team-dependent award. Using them for individual legacies can be shaky and often ignore a lot of very important context. Finals MVPs are heavily relent on team as well, but at the same time signify that the player individually was very responsible for actually winning that ring.
Exactly. Why do people use rings as a way of showing which superstar is better than another then?

Shouldn't we only be using Finals MVPs as the measuring stick in terms of championships?

amos1er
11-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Queue the Kobe apologists in 3..2...1

Queue the Kobe hater trolls in 3..2...1.

Note who the first to troll and bait this topic was.

amos1er
11-15-2013, 09:55 PM
A ring is a ring.

It's simple math. Not sure why it's a question...I'm sure there's some anti-Kobe, perhaps anti-Wade, etc. ulterior motive.

Clearly.

amos1er
11-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Good point. Another example can be Kobe winnings rings with Shaq. Pippen with Jordan. Many more examples out there.

Not so subtle there ninja.

ThaDubs
11-15-2013, 10:25 PM
Thanks for accidentally posting this in the NFL forum. It exposed to me how ****** some of those fans are.

chargerSD
11-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Wasn't baseball invented in America as well?

No. Baseball is an evolution of the English game called "Rounders" and has been played for centuries. Take no offence but Rounders is a girls only game while men play Cricket <yawn> lots of fun with all the beer tents etc...

American football just like Australian Rules Football and the CFL are all aberrations of the great game of Rugby. In fact most rugby players joke about American football saying they have pads so their pads wont get hurt. Probably why most Rugby players resemble accident victims. :D

Basketball is the only indigenous (if you wanna use that word) totally invented in America sport... Chicago I believe or if I remember right. Funny seein Chinese school kids loaded with books carrying basketballs home after school.

G/L

And we should be proud of it, great game. I travel a lot and Basketball is spreading throughout the world faster than any other even in China.

sunsfan88
11-16-2013, 06:45 AM
Not so subtle there ninja.

I'm not a Kobe fan but this really isn't a shot at him. Or at least I certainly didn't intend it to be. Wade did the same thing, Pippen did the same, doesn't mean I hate them all.

It just made me wonder when people say "Well no, Wade is better than Dirk cause Wade has more rings" or "Well no, Kobe is better than Duncan cause Kobe has more rings " etc. Does rings matter when the other person has more Finals MVPs than you?

mightybosstone
11-16-2013, 12:01 PM
A ring is a ring.

This. A Finals MVP is essentially winning a championship as the alpha dog, and it's pretty clear by the way we judge players that an alpha dog championship is more valuable than a championship as a No. 2 or No. 3 guy.

However, I would argue that Finals MVP doesn't always go to the best player on the team OR to the guy who played best in the series. Sometimes it goes to the star player despite him being outplayed by someone on his own team, and sometimes it goes to the No. 2 or No. 3 guy who just overachieved and played out of his mind in the Finals.

Just looking at the list of Finals MVP winners, JoJo White, Cedric Maxwell, James Worthy, Joe Dumars, Tony Parker and Paul Pierce are all examples of guys who won the award despite not being the top guy on their team. Does that necessarily diminish the roles of Bird, Magic, Duncan, KG, etc. on those teams? No. It just means those guys stepped up in that one series in a big way.

Personally, I kind of feel like the Finals MVP should be changed to a postseason MVP award. If a guy plays unbelievable basketball for the first three series, but then gets slightly ouplayed in the Finals by someone else, the other guy will get credit for playing better in only 25% of the postseason. That seems unfair to me.

mightybosstone
11-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Thanks for accidentally posting this in the NFL forum. It exposed to me how ****** some of those fans are.

:nod:

dnl123
11-16-2013, 12:46 PM
Teams win championships, that said the Finals MVP does signify that you were the most important player in the NBA Finals series. Are they more important than the championship ring? No way! The ring signifies the whole season where as the MVP signifies only the final series.

WaDe03
11-16-2013, 01:35 PM
I'm not a Kobe fan but this really isn't a shot at him. Or at least I certainly didn't intend it to be. Wade did the same thing, Pippen did the same, doesn't mean I hate them all.

It just made me wonder when people say "Well no, Wade is better than Dirk cause Wade has more rings" or "Well no, Kobe is better than Duncan cause Kobe has more rings " etc. Does rings matter when the other person has more Finals MVPs than you?

Dirk doesn't have more finals MVP's than Wade