PDA

View Full Version : The Pelicans A Disappointment So Far

Clippersfan86
11-13-2013, 02:38 AM
I'm rooting for this team to do well but something just isn't right. Every time I'm watching highlights lately I feel like they are getting destroyed, especially by bad teams. They have the talent to be a low playoff seed, Davis is putting up MVP stats.. yet they can't seem to win much. Still early and completely disregard the actual record and explain the PLAY itself. Pel fans why is this team struggling so much?

tredigs
11-13-2013, 03:05 AM
Tyreke's been an absolute wreck (the bench in general isn't strong) and they don't have a legitimate center. People also tend to overrate what Jrue brings to the table. Honestly I was expecting an 10-12 seed despite a very good year from AD (been better than expected), still looking like that.

Sadds The Gr8
11-13-2013, 03:10 AM
tyreke sux

Jeffy25
11-13-2013, 03:14 AM
Davis is doing well and all, but he is shooting 46% and they don't really score a whole lot.

Either way, 3-4 with an expected win total of 4-3, seems like they could be a low seed still (obviously). And they lost to the Suns twice, who aren't bad.

Hawkeye15
11-13-2013, 03:18 AM
wait they were expected to compete for the playoffs?

Clippersfan86
11-13-2013, 03:19 AM
Jeffy that makes sense. Plus like said above Tyreke+Jrue seem to be inefficient disappointments so far. Do you agree with that?

Clippersfan86
11-13-2013, 03:20 AM

Many analysts I follow on Twitter based on the preseason felt they were a serious threat for a low playoff seed. I personally also feel they have the TALENT for a 7-8 seed no doubt, especially with Davis dominating so much.

Tony_Starks
11-13-2013, 03:20 AM
The Pelicans got way overrated before the season even started. People were even saying Tyreke would be a 6th man candidate for Pete's sake!

I expect a break out season from Davis, good coaching from Monty, and that's about it. Best case scenario they duke it out with TWolves for the 8th spot.

rangersfan
11-13-2013, 03:24 AM
Why no mention of Ryan Anderson being injured? He's a pretty good player.

JNA17
11-13-2013, 03:29 AM

exactly. A very good rebounder and shooter is a big hit for them.

Tyreke Evans however as expected has been sucking. I said before he signed anywhere that any team that gives this guy a contract and expect him to return to his rookie form are in for a huge disappointment. The guy was such a waste of money for them.

LeperMessiah
11-13-2013, 03:46 AM
exactly. A very good rebounder and shooter is a big hit for them.

Tyreke Evans however as expected has been sucking. I said before he signed anywhere that any team that gives this guy a contract and expect him to return to his rookie form are in for a huge disappointment. The guy was such a waste of money for them.

very Good rebounder is a bit of a stretch but his undeniable 3pt shooting makes it all worth it.

JNA17
11-13-2013, 04:04 AM
very Good rebounder is a bit of a stretch but his undeniable 3pt shooting makes it all worth it.

well he has the ability to consistently put up about 10 boards a game. I looked it up and surprised he hasn't done it yet. 0_0

Vinny642
11-13-2013, 04:06 AM

Because they like to focus on negatives....

While Tyreke may have not been amazing or anything, he isnt as bad as you say for a bench player. Let the dude get into his role a little.

And Ryno will open up shots for others considering the only C that is a factor on offense is Smith. And Ryno is a better rebounder. We need to have a perfect season to make the 7th or 8th seed.

Asik's better
11-13-2013, 04:23 AM
These knee-jerk threads need to stop. We're not even half way through November yet.

ACanadian
11-13-2013, 04:25 AM
What do you expect from a team named the 'Pelicans'.

Guppyfighter
11-13-2013, 04:28 AM
Pelicans suck.

Where are all the Jrue fans at right now? Didn't I warn them?

Chronz
11-13-2013, 04:56 AM
I thought most people felt that the Pellies splurged too early in their development. I fully expect them to make several players available come deadline time.

YoungOne
11-13-2013, 05:11 AM
their team is just not very well constructed

Swashcuff
11-13-2013, 08:45 AM
Pelicans suck.

Jrue has been bad just bad, but what did you "warn" us about? I can't remember anyone saying anything about Jrus this season but rather his importance to our team last season.

The issues he had with us are still there and according to some Pels fans I spoke to even worse doesn't negate what he did as a Sixer though.

Swashcuff
11-13-2013, 08:53 AM
I thought most people felt that the Pellies splurged too early in their development. I fully expect them to make several players available come deadline time.

I'm not even sure about that right now TBH, I mean they signed Childress and Amundson for the remainder of the season in what looks like an attempt to bolster their bench. I just want them to suck bad enough to get the #6 pick and I'm happy.

king4day
11-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Probably a chemistry issue. It also doesn't help that their spread 4 is still out.

kdspurman
11-13-2013, 10:46 AM
These knee-jerk threads need to stop. We're not even half way through November yet.

+1

It's the 3rd week of the season. The Bobcats started 7-5 last year, and we all know how the rest of their season went.

KnickaBocka.44
11-13-2013, 10:48 AM
All 3 of their big time guards are trying to do too much with decreased touches and it's leading to inefficiency. Evans is not used to coming off the bench, Jason Smith is an awful starting C, and they just don''t have chemistry yet.

Chronz
11-13-2013, 11:22 AM

I'm not even sure about that right now TBH, I mean they signed Childress and Amundson for the remainder of the season in what looks like an attempt to bolster their bench. I just want them to suck bad enough to get the #6 pick and I'm happy.
They will try to move one of the big 3 perimeter guys

2-ONE-5
11-13-2013, 11:24 AM
no Ryan Anderson right now and a crap bench will do that. Adding Evans was a horrible move but im happy bcuz we get their pick (if outside top 5). SO keep up the good work NO!

ManRam
11-13-2013, 12:17 PM
I think my expectations were a bit less than most. I really just don't like Jrue Holiday. I'm still holding out hope for Gordon, but right now that's just such a detrimentally bad scoring tandem. Evans has been beyond awful, but he'll get better, they'll get Anderson back which will be a big boost, and I think they'll figure things out to some extent. I don't quite think they're a playoff team, but this probably isn't quite who they truly are...or will be.

It's early.

DreamShaker
11-13-2013, 12:42 PM

By trading Noel and giving up next year's draft pick, absolutely. I posted about it in another thread, but they have an owner in his mid-80's, and he wants to win now. If they didn't want to compete, they would have just kept Noel, avoided Evans, and tanked for Wiggins or Parker. Which they might regret not doing later on.

chitownredbulls
11-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Evans was a bad pickup for them...u dnt sign a ball dominant guard to pair with two other ball dominant guards...the only one with any above avg iq is holiday....Gordon n Evans are stat guys...they dnt make their team better....Evans is a lazy defender (good one on one defender when he wants to be) really one of the worst at guarding the pick n roll..they should have watched him attempt to play sf in Sacramento before deciding to sign him and play him there lol or off the bench...I'm a kings fan and been watching tyreke since his rookie year...I root for him but really glad we went in a different direction...I'm loving vasquez so far even though the record is bad, like someone said, we're not even halfway through November lol

Gibby23
11-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Davis is doing well and all, but he is shooting 46% and they don't really score a whole lot.

Either way, 3-4 with an expected win total of 4-3, seems like they could be a low seed still (obviously). And they lost to the Suns twice, who aren't bad.

The SUns are bad.

WES KOAST
11-13-2013, 12:51 PM
davis is a bonafide future star. their back court sucks. i think they make Gordon, holiday and evans available.

flea
11-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Way too early for this type of thread. The only rotation players that were with the team last year are Aminu, Davis, and Gordon - and Gordon has spent more time injured than not (also Anderson, but he's been hurt). Everyone who knew basketball knew it would take a little bit for 3 young guards like Holiday, Evans, and Gordon who have never played together to really jive. Hell it took the Heat a minute to really look good. Let's wait until Anderson is healthy, the center position is figured out, and the 3 ball-handlers have actually played together for more than a handful of games before calling them a disappointment.

Also, I don't really expect anyone to be moved, or at least anyone of note. It's nearly impossible to see Jrue or Evans moved because they were just acquired - you should probably give some under-25 players at least a season before blowing it up. Gordon is the only one with a possibility of being moved, but I just don't see anyone offering real value given his contract and injury history. That could change, but he's probably more valuable to the Pelicans than whatever his return will bring at this point.

The role players? They've gotten basically what they wanted and I don't see them trading any of them.

WES KOAST
11-13-2013, 12:52 PM
The SUns are bad.

not as bad as the lakers

Gibby23
11-13-2013, 12:53 PM
not as bad as the lakers

Never said the Lakers were good, but the Suns will be about the same or worse than the Lakers.

WES KOAST
11-13-2013, 12:54 PM
By trading Noel and giving up next year's draft pick, absolutely. I posted about it in another thread, but they have an owner in his mid-80's, and he wants to win now. If they didn't want to compete, they would have just kept Noel, avoided Evans, and tanked for Wiggins or Parker. Which they might regret not doing later on.

the owner shouldn't be worried about winning, he should be worried if his diaper will hold up

WES KOAST
11-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Never said the Lakers were good, but the Suns will be about the same or worse than the Lakers.

suns defensive stats disagrees with your opinion

Gibby23
11-13-2013, 12:56 PM
suns defensive stats disagrees with your opinion

Keep watching the standings in the next month or so.

hotdalton18
11-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Trade Evans and a first for rondo , or watever it takes

WES KOAST
11-13-2013, 01:00 PM
Keep watching the standings in the next month or so.

so, it may go down but it also may go up. what's your point? i have stats in b/w in my favor. what do you have asides your opinion?

WES KOAST
11-13-2013, 01:02 PM
Trade Evans and a first for rondo , or watever it takes

huh? why would the pelicans do that deal?

Gibby23
11-13-2013, 01:06 PM
so, it may go down but it also may go up. what's your point? i have stats in b/w in my favor. what do you have asides your opinion?

They lost to the 2 good teams they played and beat bad teams at home.

todu82
11-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Not disappointing me, I had them outside the playoffs and right now that's where it looks like they'll be.

sunsfan88
11-13-2013, 01:55 PM

Portland is a bad team? Huh... 5-2 = bad?

And they lost to the two best teams in the West...by like 6 pts combined.

FlashBolt
11-13-2013, 03:55 PM

Is it because your team hasn't been "dominating" as you proclaimed?

Byronicle
11-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Lol what a premature thread

TimeForAHoliday
11-13-2013, 04:32 PM
It's the head coach. Monty is the worst coach in the league. Both Reke and Holiday have been excellent in fast break situations so far this year yet Monty wants run his terrible stagnant offense that consists of a high pick/roll and terrible spacing. And his defense is terrible, I think we give up the most 3s a game in the league.

TimeForAHoliday
11-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Pelicans suck.

Jrue is much better in a fast paced offense, I feel bad for him he's had terrible offensive coaches his whole career. For example last night the first 6 minutes of the Lakers game we were playing uptempo (dont kow why we stopped) and Jrue was dishing beautiful dimes and attacked the rim. He just isnt a half court offensive guard its pretty obvious. He would flourish under someone like George Karl who stresses attacking the rim and plays at an insane pace.

Tony_Starks
11-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Would it really be such a huge shocker if they have another poor season? The team really isn't that great. They should just be grateful that Davis looks legit and have a coke and a smile...

WES KOAST
11-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Portland is a bad team? Huh... 5-2 = bad?

And they lost to the two best teams in the West...by like 6 pts combined.

without dragic

Swashcuff
11-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Jrue is much better in a fast paced offense, I feel bad for him he's had terrible offensive coaches his whole career. For example last night the first 6 minutes of the Lakers game we were playing uptempo (dont kow why we stopped) and Jrue was dishing beautiful dimes and attacked the rim. He just isnt a half court offensive guard its pretty obvious. He would flourish under someone like George Karl who stresses attacking the rim and plays at an insane pace.

Question 1. How long have you been a Jrue fan?

Question 2. Don't you think that saying that a PG isn't good in a half court offense and is only good in a fast paced system is a bad thing for that PG?

WES KOAST
11-13-2013, 08:05 PM

pacers (8-0) teams they played have a combined 22-36 win-loss record
suns (5-2) teams they played have a combined 25-26 win-loss record

you wanna keep going? i already told you i have stats in my favor...what u got?

nolafan33
11-13-2013, 09:38 PM
We can talk about the players all we want, but I can put it really simply.

Monty Williams is stuck in the 1980s and 1990s when the three wasn't all that important. But now, teams take and make a better percentage of threes than ever before. But yet with Monty, the Pels don't take the three offensively and they don't respect it defensively.

Only 14.7% of our offensive shots come from three point range, and that is the worst mark in the league by a wide margin. The 29th ranked team in the league, Memphis, 18% of their shots are threes. That is a very wide margin. We are also 24th defensively, with 27.6% of our opponents shots being threes which teams hit at 38%, which is 23rd in the league.

KnicksorBust
11-13-2013, 10:24 PM
Davis is a franchise player and Gordon is healthy showing the flashes of the player he used to be that got people excited about him in the first place. Give them time to mesh with Jrue and let them get Ryno back...It makes me think back to when Kevin Love was putting up monster stats on the Twolves...give them a year or two and who knows... If I'm a Pelicans fan I'm feeling great. I couldn't disagree more with this thread.

NBA_Starter
11-13-2013, 10:27 PM
I don't know what is wrong with them right now but when Ryan Anderson gets back it will help open up the offense.

Bishnoff
11-13-2013, 11:04 PM
We can talk about the players all we want, but I can put it really simply.

Monty Williams is stuck in the 1980s and 1990s when the three wasn't all that important. But now, teams take and make a better percentage of threes than ever before. But yet with Monty, the Pels don't take the three offensively and they don't respect it defensively.

Only 14.7% of our offensive shots come from three point range, and that is the worst mark in the league by a wide margin. The 29th ranked team in the league, Memphis, 18% of their shots are threes. That is a very wide margin. We are also 24th defensively, with 27.6% of our opponents shots being threes which teams hit at 38%, which is 23rd in the league.

I've watched both Suns vs. Pelicans games this season and I couldn't agree more with your post. Furthermore, the offensive plays and player rotations during the 4th quarters have left me mind boggled. So many contested deep 2's.

Bishnoff
11-13-2013, 11:18 PM
I'd say that the Cavs have been a bigger disappointment so far. I expected much more (even taking Bynum out of the equation).

NBA_Starter
11-13-2013, 11:57 PM
I'd say that the Cavs have been a bigger disappointment so far. I expected much more (even taking Bynum out of the equation).

I have to agree with you on that one.

TimeForAHoliday
11-14-2013, 12:53 AM
I don't eant to see fuvking anybody saying anything bad about our players after that loss. THAT WAS ALL ON MONTY.

JayW_1023
11-14-2013, 06:49 AM

Kyrie Irving is just really overrated. All flash, no substance.