PDA

View Full Version : Lundqvist Extension Talks Expected at HHOF/GM Meetings

IAmARanger18
11-11-2013, 09:51 PM
@TSNBobMcKenzie:
Quote:

With NYR GM Glen Sather in TOR for HHOF/GMs meeting, expectation is there'll be Henrik Lundqvist contract talks with agent Don Meehan.

GOOD, get it done.

metswon69
11-11-2013, 09:58 PM
This will be the Ranger fan debate of the century lol. Does he take less money than what he could ask for so we can keep considerable talent around him or does he go for the major payday where it becomes a harder decision to keep a soon to be 32 year old goaltender?

He's the best goaltender in the league but they only have so much cap room and a lot of players that need to be re-signed over the next 2 years.

bsi
11-11-2013, 10:12 PM
I don't know really what he is thinking as far as salary but what he is currently being paid is pretty reasonable from both ends and doesn't handcuff us any more than we already are. I hope he goes Crosby's, Datsyuk's, Brown's route and takes the discount to allow the team to compete, everyone knows he should be the highest paid but he should know that a big increase in his salary hurts his chances at winning a cup.

IAmARanger18
11-12-2013, 10:13 AM
We will see, don't think Hank is a selfish player when it comes to the salary, at least i'm hoping not. What really concerns me is if he's committed to this team or not for the long run.

SLY WILLIAMS
11-12-2013, 01:27 PM
The Sedins signed a nice team friendly deal as well. Cap room is not a major issue in our future but we should still keep 2 things in mind.

1. Hanks age

2. There are many nights the other teams goalie looks just as good as Hank.

As much as we want to keep Hank I also want Hank to be realistic.

bsi
11-12-2013, 02:09 PM
The Sedins signed a nice team friendly deal as well. Cap room is not a major issue in our future but we should still keep 2 things in mind.

1. Hanks age

2. There are many nights the other teams goalie looks just as good as Hank.

As much as we want to keep Hank I also want Hank to be realistic.

I don't know if that second point is often true. He struggled through an injury to start the season but he has been excellent since returning. There isn't a goalie in the league that has been as consistent as hank since he arrived. You know what you are getting from him pretty much every night. The last few wins especially we needed him to keep us in the game until we woke up. I do agree though about the contract needing to be friendly.

IAmARanger18
11-12-2013, 02:15 PM
He's back now, he's been playing like the old Hank as of late. Just needs to stop giving up some rebounds and he will be fine.

metswon69
11-12-2013, 04:38 PM
I don't know if that second point is often true. He struggled through an injury to start the season but he has been excellent since returning. There isn't a goalie in the league that has been as consistent as hank since he arrived. You know what you are getting from him pretty much every night. The last few wins especially we needed him to keep us in the game until we woke up. I do agree though about the contract needing to be friendly.

See that's why I want him to remain here so badly. So many goalies are one year wonders or play well for 2-3 seasons, then have a bad season, then bounce back but not to the same extent. Lundqvist has consistently been among the top goaltenders in the league since he started here in 2005-2006 and through 3 different coaching systems as well.

I think all of us take him for granted sometimes because over the last 9 years we have forgotten what it's like to have goalie issues. I really hope they can work something out where he's a manageable cap hit and he is still obviously properly compensated.

bsi
11-12-2013, 04:41 PM

See that's why I want him to remain here so badly. So many goalies are one year wonders or play well for 2-3 seasons, then have a bad season, then possibly bounce back. Lundqvist has been as consistent as consistent comes and this has been through 3 entirely different coaching systems at this point in his career.

I think all of us take him for granted sometimes because over the last 9 years we have forgotten what it's like to have goalie issues. I really hope they can work something out where he's a manageable cap hit and he is still obviously properly compensated.

If you compare him to anyone as far as consistancy you can only compare him to Brodeur since Hank came in the league as far as consistancy goes.

metswon69
11-12-2013, 04:45 PM
If you compare him to anyone as far as consistancy you can only compare him to Brodeur since Hank came in the league as far as consistancy goes.

Yep. I really hope they can something done.

Redfish
11-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Personally, I want every option explored before signing Hank. My preference is for him to be with the Rangers and our top goalie the next 5 years, yet I would like Sather to explore trade opportunities as well. I am not anticipating a new contract before end of January; I think this will extend into the trade deadline timeframe.

bsi
11-12-2013, 07:14 PM
Personally, I want every option explored before signing Hank. My preference is for him to be with the Rangers and our top goalie the next 5 years, yet I would like Sather to explore trade opportunities as well. I am not anticipating a new contract before end of January; I think this will extend into the trade deadline timeframe.

If you start exploring trade opportunities I would forget about getting any kind of a discount from him, he would likely want to know he was wanted here and part of the long term plan, putting trade rumors out there would strain the relationship. Sign him by Christmas or trade him after I guess.