PDA

View Full Version : Old ABA owners banking hard at the expense of the NBA.

DreamShaker
11-11-2013, 06:46 PM
http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=9961147&city=newyork

This is like a Back to the Future type deal. They came out like bandits.

IndyRealist
11-11-2013, 06:50 PM
This is a big reason the Pacers, at least, have never been profitable.

KG21
11-11-2013, 07:02 PM
That is some deal. Nice

TheMightyHumph
11-11-2013, 07:24 PM
I'm here in St. Louis.

NBA forced this deal on ABA. One of the reasons Julius didn't enter the NBA as Net (NBA history would be SSSSOOOO different at this point), and the Kentucky Colonels didn't enter the NBA.

Long live Fly Williams.

mike_noodles
11-11-2013, 07:33 PM
They should just offer them ownership of an expansion franchise and waive the expansion fee to settle the deal.

NoahH
11-11-2013, 07:37 PM
They should just offer them ownership of an expansion franchise and waive the expansion fee to settle the deal.

Only in Seattle tho!

slaker619
11-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Crazy

TheMightyHumph
11-11-2013, 08:02 PM

Does that deal give you any indication that the former owners of The Spirits, or their progeny are stupid?

JNA17
11-11-2013, 08:03 PM
Wow. And internet revenue too.

It's like they predicted the future. That's crazy! XD

TheMightyHumph
11-11-2013, 08:09 PM

That was the ABA.

That deal can mostly be blamed on Red Auerbach.

If this next sentence expressed my true feelings about Red, I'd be banned from this board.

JNA17
11-11-2013, 08:17 PM
That was the ABA.

That deal can mostly be blamed on Red Auerbach.

If this next sentence expressed my true feelings about Red, I'd be banned from this board.

What could you say about him that would get you banned? Almost everyone here including myself have said pretty harsh things about any player/coach anyone could say.

JNA17
11-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Also what the hell is there to negotiate? The Silnas brothers, their kids, grand kids, great grand kids, great great grand kids, great great great great great...you get the picture. Are all set for life. They along with their kids could be born and never work in their lifetime and still be super stinking rich.

What could the NBA possibly offer to counter that? If I were them, I would literally just laugh and hang up the phone.

TheMightyHumph
11-11-2013, 08:29 PM
What could you say about him that would get you banned? Almost everyone here including myself have said pretty harsh things about any player/coach anyone could say.

Honestly, that's a joke, right?

TheMightyHumph
11-11-2013, 08:30 PM
Also what the hell is there to negotiate? The Silnas brothers, their kids, grand kids, great grand kids, great great grand kids, great great great great great...you get the picture. Are all set for life. They along with their kids could be born and never work in their lifetime and still be super stinking rich.

What could the NBA possibly offer to counter that? If I were them, I would literally just laugh and hang up the phone.

Well, they'd probably have one of their servants laugh and hang up the phone for them

ManRam
11-11-2013, 08:31 PM

My thoughts exactly. Not sure why they'd ever want to negotiate

DreamShaker
11-11-2013, 08:34 PM
This is a big reason the Pacers, at least, have never been profitable.

That is really unfortunate. They have been a good franchise ever since the Reggie days. It stinks that they do everything right and get shafted due to a random deal made in the 70's.

JNA17
11-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Well, they'd probably have one of their servants laugh and hang up the phone for them

Touche. :laugh2:

VendettaRed07
11-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Theres nothing to negotiate. Not even if l was offered my own franchise would l settle. They probably make similar money to what most owners make for doing nothing. Some times teams struggle and if they make a wrong move, they could be forced to sell.. but this deal, as long as the NBA exists, their future generations are set forever.

lf l really wanted to own a sports team, l think ld just use the money that the NBA is giving me to buy an MLS team or something.

JNA17
11-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Theres nothing to negotiate. Not even if l was offered my own franchise would l settle. They probably make similar money to what most owners make for doing nothing. Some times teams struggle and if they make a wrong move, they could be forced to sell.. but this deal, as long as the NBA exists, their future generations are set forever.

lf l really wanted to own a sports team, l think ld just use the money that the NBA is giving me to buy an MLS team or something.

I would go to the NFL and purchase an NFL team in LA.

IndyRealist
11-11-2013, 11:05 PM

You have to remember that, at the time, the big driver of revenue was ticket sales. TV revenue was chump change until the 80's and David Stern (and Magic/Bird).

The big mistake was signing any contract "in perpetuity".

GunFactor187
11-12-2013, 02:18 PM
This is probably the greatest business deal of all-time haha! :laugh2:

scissors
11-12-2013, 02:31 PM
That is really unfortunate. They have been a good franchise ever since the Reggie days. It stinks that they do everything right and get shafted due to a random deal made in the 70's.

Not a random deal. The Pacers got adopted while the Spirit got contracted. I'm sure the 4 ABA teams that were brought to the league were complicit with the deal. And anybody who has bought the Pacers since then (if there has been an ownership change) should be aware of it as well.

TheMightyHumph
11-12-2013, 02:39 PM

That was no random deal. Plenty of stuff needed to be sorted out. Spirits' owners got lucky. Nets and Colonels fans were unlucky.

dhopisthename
11-12-2013, 03:35 PM
man I wonder how much they would have to pay to get this settled. it would have to be several hundred million if not a billion

DillyDill
11-12-2013, 03:50 PM
That shouldn't settle at all, the lg is getting wealthier by the day

Rockice_8
11-12-2013, 04:51 PM
This is probably the greatest business deal of all-time haha! :laugh2:

Easily. 19M per year and probably only growing to do nothing for as long as the league exists.

koreancabbage
11-12-2013, 05:28 PM
The NBA will probably try to get them to sign a deal - for the 4 four franchises that were brought over and have their media revenues for the next 20 years and thats it. or give them a ownership of a franchise of their choosing.

TheMightyHumph
11-12-2013, 05:39 PM
The NBA will probably try to get them to sign a deal - for the 4 four franchises that were brought over and have their media revenues for the next 20 years and thats it. or give them a ownership of a franchise of their choosing.

Or sit back and collect $20+mil per year

Bruno
11-12-2013, 09:48 PM
i saw the documentary on this. brilliant.

Tony_Starks
11-12-2013, 10:23 PM
The Silnas great grand kids should have thier own reality show. I'm pretty sure they're somewhere making it rain as we speak!

mike_noodles
11-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Does that deal give you any indication that the former owners of The Spirits, or their progeny are stupid?

No, but if they wanted back into the league. It's like handing them another $300m.

TheMightyHumph
11-12-2013, 11:09 PM
No, but if they wanted back into the league. It's like handing them another $300m.

Exactly