PDA

View Full Version : How good was Bill Walton?

DreamShaker
11-10-2013, 02:09 AM
I have seen a pretty small sample size of his games. Less than even guys older than him. Granted, he was hurt pretty much always, but how good was he, when he actually played (Portland days)? From what I have seen, he was awesome, but I was just wondering what all your thoughts were about Walton.

TheMightyHumph
11-10-2013, 02:19 AM
Walton was one of the most talented, intelligent, basketball players that ever stepped onto a basketball court.

It's certainly selfish of me, but I feel I was deprived of seeing one of the greatest Centers ever play a full career (which certainly would have changed the NBA record books substantially) because of his injuries.

Truly, his court presence was absolutely incredible.

PowerHouse
11-10-2013, 03:03 AM
Absolutely dominant in his college days (his healthy days).

Chronz
11-10-2013, 06:18 PM
A poor mans Arvydas Sabonis

PurpleLynch
11-10-2013, 07:44 PM
I'm sorry,don't know about his game,I just know he was outstanding with the Blazers on their run to the title.

Right now,I know his comments on Nba's games are the most crazy thing you'll hear in your life.

Pablonovi
11-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Uninjured he would have been an All-Time Top 5 GOAT, he was that good. Bill Simmons of Grantland says (paraphrased): of all the great offensive centers he was the best defensive center; of all the great defensive centers he was the best offensive center. I completely agree with this assessment.

When people talk about the greatest one-man wrecking crews in NBA Finals History, his name is always near the top, that Portland team had no other great players on it and winning 4 straight (after being down 0-2) against that "All-Star" '76er team was/is unsurpassed. He WAS that good!

LA_Raiders
11-10-2013, 08:06 PM
One of the all time greats in college bb. He could have been one if the best c ever in NBA if not for injuries. He was great while healthy

bagwell368
11-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Good high post game, good low post game, good shot blocker, good mobile defender, not afraid of the big moment, and clearly the best passing center of all time.

Even as a beat up shell of himself in 1985-86 he was a massive presence as a back-up for that great Celts team.

Pablonovi
11-12-2013, 12:56 AM
Good high post game, good low post game, good shot blocker, good mobile defender, not afraid of the big moment, and clearly the best passing center of all time.

Even as a beat up shell of himself in 1985-86 he was a massive presence as a back-up for that great Celts team.

Hey bagwell,
Took the words right out of my mouth.

D-Leethal
11-12-2013, 10:45 AM
What do you think is the percentage of top notch, HOF caliber Centers whose careers get cut short due to injury compared to those that pan out?

Do you think next time there is an Oden vs Durant, the Oden guy is getting picked unanimously every time?

I feel even with a sure thing future HOFer - there has gotta be like a 30% chance his career ends prematurely due to injury.

The Walton's, Bynum's, Yao's etc...

Any other examples from the past to add?

AnthonyTyrael2
11-12-2013, 11:51 AM
What do you think is the percentage of top notch, HOF caliber Centers whose careers get cut short due to injury compared to those that pan out?

Do you think next time there is an Oden vs Durant, the Oden guy is getting picked unanimously every time?

I feel even with a sure thing future HOFer - there has gotta be like a 30% chance his career ends prematurely due to injury.

Ralph Sampson to begin with.

scissors
11-12-2013, 12:55 PM

This list will also include players who even if they kept playing were much worse or careers were cut short due to injuries (that I can think of):
Danny Manning
Brad Daugherty
Sam Bowie
Jonathan Bender
Big Z
Zo
Sabonis
Jermaine O'neal
Amare? (does he count as a Center?)
Maurice Stokes

todu82
11-12-2013, 01:37 PM
He was really good player, as others have said injuries cut short a very good career.

Hellcrooner
11-12-2013, 01:53 PM
He probably would ahve ended up as a top 5-6 center all time and top 20-25 player.

Even at his best id surely pick Kareem, Wilt, Shaq , Hakeem over him but he woudl have most probably been better tan D.rob or Russell.

Rain City
11-12-2013, 01:58 PM
before my time but from what ive heard bill Walton in his prime was an all time great. like top 10 ever. a better player than many who are considered greater because they had the benefit of longevity. talented and an ultimate teammate. I think of tim Duncan type impact in his prime.

Hellcrooner
11-12-2013, 02:08 PM
zo mourning should enter any big men Career ****ed up by inurys list.

Others ( injuries/drugs/other shenannigans):
Kemp
Sampson
Bowie
Tarpley
VIn Baker
Mustaf
Daugherty
Bedford
Washburn
Benoit Benjamin
Toby knight
Steve stipanovich
Stokes
Alex Groza
Ming
Bynum
Oden

bagwell368
11-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Ralph Sampson to begin with.

Sampson was healthy enough when he started, he was just a heartless dog of a player. 4 ASG's for that? The first two OK, the 2nd two media hype crap.

bagwell368
11-12-2013, 09:25 PM
If you're making long lists of Centers... try Tom Payne (you gotta look up the story, not just the stats), 2nd pick in '71 out of Kentucky.

Chronz
11-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Sampson was healthy enough when he started, he was just a heartless dog of a player. 4 ASG's for that? The first two OK, the 2nd two media hype crap.

First two being OK is prolly being nice.

TheMightyHumph
11-12-2013, 11:16 PM

I absolutely agree with you.

Sampson was good for stats when healthy, but he played with no heart at all.