PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard: Basketball's "Least Inspiring" Star

big_w
11-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Ian Thomsen>THE SIXTH MAN

If Lakers can't motivate Howard, then what will?

Is there a less-inspiring star in basketball than Dwight Howard?

The Rockets' center ought to be one of the NBA's most inspiring players. He has the talent to dominate the paint defensively, and now that he's healthy -- which was his excuse, credibly, last season with the Lakers -- he should be commanding his new team's defense from the back. By example, he should be urging his teammates to challenge opponents on the perimeter with the promise that if someone gets loose to the basket, then he'll be there to snuff out the drive. Everyone should be better because he's on the floor. He should be single-handedly starting fast breaks and sprinting to keep up so that he can be active offensively, too.
Now that he's in Houston, the game really ought to be revolving around him. That is why he is being paid $20,513,178 this season.

Instead, Howard is denying that Thursday's embarrassing 99-98 home loss to the Lakers was a blow to his reputation and his pride. "Every loss hurts," he said afterward, dismissively.
Howard refused to acknowledge one of the NBA's basic instincts -- to prove to the Lakers (and Kobe Bryant) that he was right and they were wrong -- and if that impulse for redemption doesn't drive Howard, then what will?

---The entire TNT crew (shaq, charles, kenny) harped on this latter point: why was dwight so complacent against his former team? Especially when everyone associated with the lakers have been insulting him non-stop for months on end?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20131108/sixth-man-dwight-howard-lakers/

D-Leethal
11-09-2013, 11:23 AM
You are slaughtering a dead horse at this point. Let it go...

mightybosstone
11-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Someone please close this thread. It's a non-story. The guy has moved on, and everyone else needs to do the same thing.

ThunderousDemon
11-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are.

FOBolous
11-09-2013, 12:15 PM
the way this guy posts bears STRONG resemblance to anther user, Jam. the mods should really double-check to see if they're the same person.

ztilzer31
11-09-2013, 12:19 PM
This guy is an idiot. He's done nothing but try his best to **** on Dwight for the last 2 days. He's been making up rumors. Now he has to pull some stupid article with no basis in fact. Who cares? The media always makes up a hate Dwight story for dumb people to buy into. It was the same with LBJ. Not motivated enough. Not a champion. BLAH BLAH BLAH.

In another thread this same OP tried to spread a rumor that Dwight was unhappy in Houston, and when asked to share a link he said he was "unable to". This is the type of guy that ruins this forum.

ztilzer31
11-09-2013, 12:24 PM
He needs to be focused and doing what's best for the team. Playing a game to enact some sort of retribution for yourself is exactly how you ruin a team. It's self centered.

In the NFL there was an article written about how Rob Ryan doesn't care that he's playing the Cowboys, and he just wants to win, and everyone praised him for putting the team in front of himself. Now Dwight does the same thing, and you put the bad spin on it. Wah. Grow a brain. Stop believing these dumb articles that just feeds off of your very obvious hate for Dwight.

ThunderousDemon
11-09-2013, 12:33 PM
I see someone who has been indulging himself to some sour grapes.

FOBolous
11-09-2013, 12:34 PM
This guy is an idiot. He's done nothing but try his best to **** on Dwight for the last 2 days. He's been making up rumors. Now he has to pull some stupid article with no basis in fact. Who cares? The media always makes up a hate Dwight story for dumb people to buy into. It was the same with LBJ. Not motivated enough. Not a champion. BLAH BLAH BLAH.

In another thread this same OP tried to spread a rumor that Dwight was unhappy in Houston, and when asked to share a link he said he was "unable to". This is the type of guy that ruins this forum.

to be fair, this guy craps on everyone on the Rockets except for Lin...just like Jam.

ThunderousDemon
11-09-2013, 12:41 PM
How can this bother you guys so much?

Some anonymous person on the internet is saying things that you don't like and you complain to the mods to have him banned.

Do you people have no self control?

You can easily avoid any threads created by him or block him so that you don't have to see his posts.

FOBolous
11-09-2013, 12:45 PM

Some anonymous person on the internet is saying things that you don't like and you complain to the mods to have him banned.

You can easily avoid any threads created by him, or block him so that you don't have to see his posts.

i never once asked the mods to ban him. i asked the mods to double-check to see if him and Jam are the same person. if he is, he'll get banned like he's suppose to. if he's not, he can continue to spew whatever crap he's spewing. there's a difference between that and asking the mods to ban someone outright.

there's also a difference between expressing your opinion and making up crap/spreading rumors/pulling stuff out of your ***.

and i already have him on my ignore list. but i don't have to actually read his posts to know what he's posting cause he posts the same baseless stuff over and over and over and over again in different variations.

John Walls Era
11-09-2013, 12:45 PM
A 400 pound man rolls quicker to the basket than Dwight. Its sad when Gasoft and Blake (STEVE Blake) could contain him from getting to the basket on PnRs.

Also I'm surprised there are still morons out there that get excited when they hear Dwight working out in the off-season with X Retired Player on Y Offensive Moves. Dwight has been in the league for about a decade. When you don't get things after 5-6 years, you're not gonna suddenly just get it (there are rare cases to everything).

ManRam
11-09-2013, 12:57 PM
The horse has been beaten to a pulp...

:horse:

John Walls Era
11-09-2013, 12:58 PM
The horse has been beaten to a pulp...

:horse:

Too bad the horse is still alive.

But iirc Magic fans were a huge believer in the "Dwight dominating in off season training"

nastynice
11-09-2013, 01:02 PM

You can easily avoid any threads created by him or block him so that you don't have to see his posts.

lol, true.

I don't see anything wrong with the thread, his complacency about not having any extra fire against his former team IS kinda weird. You don't really see that in sports these days, EVERYone admits to the extra sweetness associated with beating their former team.

ztilzer31
11-09-2013, 01:29 PM
It's just a joke at this point. Your buying into this hate bandwagon, and it's just sad. You'd think Dwight was Kwame Brown.

ztilzer31
11-09-2013, 01:31 PM

You can't block all the idiots on the NBA forum. There's too many of them. Plus about 5 guys just troll all day, and ruin every thread. Even the good ones. We're lucky to talk basketball in one out of every 20 threads in the NBA forum. Most of it is just gossipy, and what ifs. It's just lame. If you've been on any of the other forums you'd know this. NBA is by far the lowest of the lows when it comes to MODS taking control.

ManRam
11-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Too bad the horse is still alive.

But iirc Magic fans were a huge believer in the "Dwight dominating in off season training"

Why wouldn't I buy into his offseasons when the results were clear as day in subsequent seasons? He got noticeably better over the course of a few offseasons with Orlando. I was his biggest critic at one point, often called a Dwight-hater and a "fake Magic fan"...until he did start improving. Last season it all went to ****, but I'm not going to pretend one season renders the rest of the sample size meaningless...especially considering the circumstances.

I didn't read this article...I'm sure I know what it says. Maybe I shouldn't comment because of that, but the premise I'm gathering from the title is that Dwight is an unmotivated player who doesn't care about basketball or winning and so on and so on. If that's the case, how do you explain the wild success he had during his tenure in Orlando?

J4KOP99
11-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Why wouldn't I buy into his offseasons when the results were clear as day in subsequent seasons.

I didn't read this article...I'm sure I know what it says. Maybe I shouldn't comment because of that, but the premise I'm gathering from the title is that Dwight is an unmotivated player who doesn't care about basketball or winning and so on and so on. If that's the case, how do you explain the wild success he had during his tenure in Orlando?

I just read the article. I originally thought what you thought but it's not quite that. It talks about how his play and mindset doesn't motivate his teammates.

As for why Orlando was successful. First off, they played in a weak eastern conference for the most part. Second, they did a good job of surrounding him with shooters. Third, SVG is a very, very good coach. By far the best coach Dwight has had. The team focused on defense. There were no other big men in the east. Not saying dwight isn't good or wasn't good (he is a great player), just saying his competition out east was not great. And yes, he did carry them to the 2009 finals but refresh my memory... how did they get past the Celtics again? The Celtics made/won the finals in 08 and made the finals again in 2010 (and lost in 7)... so what happened to them in 2009? I just can't seem to remember.

ManRam
11-09-2013, 02:04 PM
I just read the article. I originally thought what you thought but it's not quite that. It talks about how his play and mindset doesn't motivate his teammates.

As for why Orlando was successful. First off, they played in a weak eastern conference for the most part. Second, they did a good job of surrounding him with shooters. Third, SVG is a very, very good coach. By far the best coach Dwight has had. The team focused on defense. There were no other big men in the east. Not saying dwight isn't good or wasn't good (he is a great player), just saying his competition out east was not great. And yes, he did carry them to the 2009 finals but refresh my memory... how did they get past the Celtics again? The Celtics made/won the finals in 08 and made the finals again in 2010 (and lost in 7)... so what happened to them in 2009? I just can't seem to remember.

The Rockets need SVG.

Watching that team try to defend is hilarious. It's like the wing defenders are completely unaware that they have Howard back there. They don't respect shooters nearly as much as they need to with one of the game's best rim protectors.

We were good for a variety of reasons, many of which you mentioned. But his defensive presence was the biggest single factor IMO, and SVG's defensive genius paired with that. That team seemed plenty inspired. He always seemed plenty inspired (even if it became detrimental, i.e. the technical foul problems).

It's early in the season. We already have people taking one-liners from minute long post-game interviews and dissecting them in an effort to find a huge problem and suggest something's wrong. I read an article that stemmed orignally from a Rockets forum and a random poster saying he has info suggesting Dwight isn't a fan of the Rocket PGs. That post creeped up to IGN, to twitter and then to major markets (SI). We're so eager for this not to work and for Dwight to be the reason why it won't work that we can't just be patient and let it work out. It's sad honestly.

I hate the guy, but I hate the relentlessness of the character assassinations more. I won't defend him as a person, but I'll defend the hell out of him as a player and against just foolish criticism.

And, what happened to Boston in 2009 is that Orlando beat them. They didn't have KG, but we didn't have Jameer (not an equal trade off, but he was our second best player that season). Dwight was utterly dominant during that Finals run. There's no misconstruing that. I can't think of a big man today that can do what he did during that stretch :shrug:

ILLUSIONIST^248
11-09-2013, 02:10 PM
It's just a joke at this point. Your buying into this hate bandwagon, and it's just sad. You'd think Dwight was Kwame Brown.

Their offensive games are similar.

Bruno
11-09-2013, 03:28 PM
gotta love how everyone just leaves the last dwight thread to come into this one :laugh2:

Howard should pick it up at some point and be an all-star. but he won't be in the running for DPOY and his best days are most likely behind him (Houston is a middle of the pack defensive team and Howard is posting a lower PER and WS/48 this season than he did last year with the Lakers through six games). anything, especially negative news regarding Howard is a non-story in my book from here out unless he starts to play elite basketball again (i'll be the first to give him props when that happens on a consistent basis, and I'm sure it will happen- just not at a 2009 level). we've all heard the criticisms and he's been bashed adequately; Laker fans should have had their fun. i agree with the general sentiment.

there is too much good basketball going on outside of Houston and Los Angeles for us to be focusing on this every day. too many ballers, too many players on the rise who have been fantastic. We should be focusing all this negative Dwight attention on how brilliant Anthony Davis and Kevin Love have been.

FOBolous
11-09-2013, 03:29 PM
The Rockets need SVG.

Watching that team try to defend is hilarious. It's like the wing defenders are completely unaware that they have Howard back there. They don't respect shooters nearly as much as they need to with one of the game's best rim protectors.

We were good for a variety of reasons, many of which you mentioned. But his defensive presence was the biggest single factor IMO, and SVG's defensive genius paired with that. That team seemed plenty inspired. He always seemed plenty inspired (even if it became detrimental, i.e. the technical foul problems).

It's early in the season. We already have people taking one-liners from minute long post-game interviews and dissecting them in an effort to find a huge problem and suggest something's wrong. I read an article that stemmed orignally from a Rockets forum and a random poster saying he has info suggesting Dwight isn't a fan of the Rocket PGs. That post creeped up to IGN, to twitter and then to major markets (SI). We're so eager for this not to work and for Dwight to be the reason why it won't work that we can't just be patient and let it work out. It's sad honestly.

I hate the guy, but I hate the relentlessness of the character assassinations more. I won't defend him as a person, but I'll defend the hell out of him as a player and against just foolish criticism.

And, what happened to Boston in 2009 is that Orlando beat them. They didn't have KG, but we didn't have Jameer (not an equal trade off, but he was our second best player that season). Dwight was utterly dominant during that Finals run. There's no misconstruing that. I can't think of a big man today that can do what he did during that stretch :shrug:

omg thank you. the person on that other forum that started all this is the ultimate troll

ILLUSIONIST^248
11-09-2013, 03:34 PM
I fell bad for Rocket fans.

John Walls Era
11-09-2013, 06:13 PM
The Rockets need SVG.

Probably the only thing that made sense. You defend him as a player? He looked terrible vs. the Lakers. He didn't put in effort on PnRs. He was a liability.

As for Mcfail. If the Rockets wanna win, they let him go. He was crap with the Wolves and just as bad with the Rockets (except Rockets have 10x the talent). Mcfail is completely pandering to his stars (which makes sense since he wants to keep his job -- and the moment Hogden and manCHILD turn on him its back to the retirement home). So he will always get them to the playoffs, but they will never amount to anything. I read that the Rockets are most efficient when Lin and Beverely are together and terrible when Asik and Dwight are together. Its not a surprised that Mcfailure is going with the latter.

lol, please
11-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Howard is a joke. I can't wait until we play that team.

lol, please
11-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Their offensive games are similar.

This. :laugh2:

Give me Kwame Brown, at least he isn't a lockerroom cancer and media distraction.

ILLUSIONIST^248
11-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Howard is a joke. I can't wait until we play that team.

I hope they play you guys in the playoffs and get wrecked. They need to be exposed.

amos1er
11-09-2013, 09:01 PM

Yup, the Dwightmare is theirs now.

John Walls Era
11-09-2013, 09:08 PM

Sometimes life is fair. First they got the Dream, now they get Dwightmare.

FOBolous
11-09-2013, 09:42 PM
Yup, the Dwightmare is theirs now.

Sometimes life is fair. First they got the Dream, now they get Dwightmare.

so how exactly is Houston experiencing "Dwightmare" right now? Houston has one of the best record in the NBA and had the NBA's best point differential prior to playing the Lakers. And the two games that Houston lost, Lakers and Clippers, is due to lapses on perimeter defense. Redick torched Houston and M33ks torched Houston after that. If a star is to be blamed for the losses, it's James Harden and his laziness on defense. Those two players are HIS assignments. His lapses on defense during those two games are well documented on this forum and everwhere else...

so beyond the overanalyzation of what Dwight Howard said in the interview and some wild TMZ-style rumor spread by certain users without any sources, how EXACTLY is Houston experiencing "dwightmare?" please PLEASE enlighten me.

John Walls Era
11-10-2013, 12:33 AM
so how exactly is Houston experiencing "Dwightmare" right now? Houston has one of the best record in the NBA and had the NBA's best point differential prior to playing the Lakers. And the two games that Houston lost, Lakers and Clippers, is due to lapses on perimeter defense. Redick torched Houston and M33ks torched Houston after that. If a star is to be blamed for the losses, it's James Harden and his laziness on defense. Those two players are HIS assignments. His lapses on defense during those two games are well documented on this forum and everwhere else...

so beyond the overanalyzation of what Dwight Howard said in the interview and some while TMZ-style rumor spread by certain users without any sources, how EXACTLY is Houston experiencing "dwightmare?" please PLEASE enlighten me.

Usually a nightmare starts off good. But things have already begun to derail. Rockets will probably have to get rid of their best player off the bench and also the efficient center that is forced to start with Dwight.

5ass
11-10-2013, 01:05 AM
Probably the only thing that made sense. You defend him as a player? He looked terrible vs. the Lakers. He didn't put in effort on PnRs. He was a liability.

As for Mcfail. If the Rockets wanna win, they let him go. He was crap with the Wolves and just as bad with the Rockets (except Rockets have 10x the talent). Mcfail is completely pandering to his stars (which makes sense since he wants to keep his job -- and the moment Hogden and manCHILD turn on him its back to the retirement home). So he will always get them to the playoffs, but they will never amount to anything. I read that the Rockets are most efficient when Lin and Beverely are together and terrible when Asik and Dwight are together. Its not a surprised that Mcfailure is going with the latter.
I doubt you've watched Dwight much. Your just talking out of your ***, everything manram said is true.

FOBolous
11-10-2013, 01:09 AM
Usually a nightmare starts off good. But things have already begun to derail. Rockets will probably have to get rid of their best player off the bench and also the efficient center that is forced to start with Dwight.

none of what you mentioned is Dwight's fault. it's not Dwight's fault that Lin and Asik's skills overlap with the skills of better, established stars on the team.

BKLYNpigeon
11-10-2013, 01:56 AM
who cares. Rockets were much more fun to watch last season in their free flowing offense.

tmacsc2
11-10-2013, 02:12 AM
In reality tho Dwight is a **** bag. Dude is really talking down to his teammates to get him the ball.

Dwight should never have an offense ran through him unless it's a mis match. Let the offense run around him let him clean the boards and clean up the garbage. Get his points of put backs and dunks. That is literally all he will be able to do. His little front facing jump hook is alright. Thats about as good as his post moves will get.

shep33
11-10-2013, 02:28 AM
who cares. Rockets were much more fun to watch last season in their free flowing offense.

+1