PDA

View Full Version : NBA Sends League-Wide Memo To Remind Bullying Isn't Tolerated

sunsfan88
11-09-2013, 04:10 AM
The NBA sent out league-wide memo Friday reminding all 30 teams that no form of bullying or hazing will be tolerated, according to league sources.

The memo references the Miami Dolphins' ongoing bullying scandal and urges NBA players to report anything if they feel the need while also spelling out specific violations of the league's policies.

Veterans often force NBA rookies to wear kindergarten-style backpacks to games and practices, but that is widely seen as a standard rite of passage and typically is met with little resistance.

Multiple teams believe the NBA has a much different culture than the NFL when it comes to the treatment of rookies behind the scene.

"I've been around for a while and I've never really heard any crazy stories," one Western Conference official said.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9947939/nba-teams-receive-memo-reminding-bullying-not-tolerated

I honestly don't think this is a problem in the NBA either. But with all the rumors about Lin and how Harden & Howard are treating him along with their coaches, there is speculation on other boards and such that perhaps Lin is also being bullied and will end up being Jonathan Martin 2.0.

big_w
11-09-2013, 05:52 AM
I honestly don't think this is a problem in the NBA either. But with all the rumors about Lin and how Harden & Howard are treating him along with their coaches, there is speculation on other boards and such that perhaps Lin is also being bullied and will end up being Jonathan Martin 2.0.

There is a very long thread about Lin being bullied here, 16 pages of documentation and speculation so far on real gm.

It's very interesting that the players being targeted are stanford and harvard grads.

Lin is definitely being bullied, with Howard, Harden, Sampson and Bickerstaff most directly involved. Mchale is just ineffectual and lost.

Something has to happen. Either Lin has to stop turning the other cheek, league officials will have to step in and investigate, or someone from within the rockets organization has to come clean and make a pro-active effort to address this issue immediately.

Lin was already being scapegoated by bickerstaff and sampson last season, but the bullying has escalated dramatically with howard and harden as primary instigators as well.

Someone needs to step up now to address this.

big_w
11-09-2013, 06:01 AM
Lin seems to be in reasonably good spirits the day after the game:

http://www.nba.com/rockets/video/2013/11/08/Lin1108PostPracticeMOV-3032341

This is based strictly on his body language, as it's more or less impossible to hear what he's saying, given the commotion going on in the background. I don't know who those guys yacking away are, but it's ratchet as hell.

Hopefully Lin can get the hell out of there, leaving mchale, harden and howard to rot away together.

FOBolous
11-09-2013, 10:49 AM

there is no report from ANY legit sources, news outlet, and verified team insiders that there are ANY discontent within the Rockets' locker room. this rumor...and the resulting overanalyzation of every players' smile, win, scrowl, squint, and frown....started from TWO sources: a specific user from a very popular Rockets oriented discussion board who CLAIMS to know someone within the Rockets organization and our very own big_w....a new user who has yet to produce any source for his claim. big_w is also a user that resembles another user, Jam, in that he talks crap about everyone on the Rockets except for Lin.

but anyways, here is what someone has to say about that individual on the other discussion board that CLAIMS to know someone within the Rockets organization:

Good grief, so much hyperventilating. We're 6 GAMES into the season, relax. It was a bad play and the defense broke down (looked to me like Nash was holding Lin pretty tight and Bev didn't move over to defend as he should have) - it happens sometimes. So what? There were numerous points of failure in last night's game, and every one of them cost us the game. It'll take them at least a dozen or so games to start to really get used to each other. I'm not worried about this crapola. The TT experiment worries me alot more than gossip.

I don;t doubt cyberx's reliability or sources, but if I remember correctly he's a huge LAL fan, so take that into consideration. I'm pretty sure no one on our side would want our dirty laundry aired like this. But it's *exactly* what the LAL want to happen. It fits their "See, Dwight's a spoiled brat who will be a cancer on your team" agenda.

Ignore it. Relax. A 4-2 start isn't reason to hit the panic button, even if it should have been 5-1.

PhillyFaninLA
11-09-2013, 11:48 AM

Can we not be so pathetic (no offense to you) that we turn someone that was being severely harassed into a punch line? Can we actually be adults for once?

John Walls Era
11-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Lets treat grown men like 12 year olds.

John Walls Era
11-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Funny that Dwight and Harden got mad. They sucked penis that game and Lin was probably their best player. Dwight played like tissue with his weak rolls and Harden played like Kobe (minus the making baskets part). As for the wide open 3, Dwight (the low IQ player --- well not just player, but in general) should've seen the 2 picks being set.

But what did you expect from the Dwight? Hes so insecure its funny. Hes still in self denial and until he realizes hes a liability on offense, he will continue on this childish act.

todu82
11-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Good to see this. Bullying should never be tolerated anywhere and that includes a professional environment like a sports team.

IndyRealist
11-09-2013, 12:53 PM
If true, the Rockets need to move him for a 2nd round pick before someone decides to go public.

John Walls Era
11-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Also the Jeremy Lin thing (even if its true) IS NOT BULLYING!

Theres a difference between death threats and going hard on someone. This is more Mario Chalmers treatment (Heat would get on him a lot) than Incognito treatment. Being hard on a teammate isn't the same as bullying.