PDA

View Full Version : Who can be the best player on a championship team?

Quinnsanity
11-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Very simple question: Right now, who are the guys who could, with the right team (and I don't mean the '04 Pistons or an All Star team, a standard "right" team) be the best player on a championship team? The obvious answers are LeBron, Durant and CP3. I'd say Harden is in that group as well. Paul George, Kevin Love, Westbrook, 'Melo, Dwight, Tony Parker and so far, Anthony Davis are the guys who I'd say all have arguments. Ultimately If I'm picking the guys who I feel comfortable saying it about I'd say LeBron, Durant, CP3, George, Love and Parker. No disrespect to the other guys (or Duncan), but those would be my choices. Discuss.

FYL_McVeezy
11-07-2013, 10:42 AM
LBJ
KD
CP3
Parker

That's it.

Quinnsanity
11-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Curry should be in the last group. Forgot about him, but he's not in the actual top group.

Chronz
11-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Every top-20 player Id say

Minimal
11-07-2013, 01:15 PM
I think you all forgetting Dirk

jstone0716
11-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Dirk, Duncan, Parker, KD, LeBron, CP3, KG... kind of confusing question to be honest. Are you referring to this season in particular or what?

Chronz
11-07-2013, 01:56 PM
My mistake, I didn't read this part:

Very simple question: Right now, who are the guys who could, with the right team (and I don't mean the '04 Pistons or an All Star team, a standard "right" team) be the best player on a championship team?

In that case I dont know

ElChinoLatino
11-07-2013, 02:02 PM
I think you all forgetting Dirk

THANK YOU. Jeez. So underrated.

EL_MACHETE
11-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Durant
James
Westbrook
Harden
Rose

Bruno
11-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Durant, Chris Paul, James Harden and Paul George are the only players in the NBA who can win titles as the best players on their teams as rosters currently stand today (that list excludes players who have already accomplished that feat). I'm hesitant to include Rose until I see him return to forum. But pre-injury Rose was there.

Quinnsanity
11-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Dirk is a tough one at this point. How close is he to his 2011 form? He hasn't fallen far, but those small bits are huge in something like this. There's also the fact that he did get a fair bit of luck in his first run. The No. 1 seeded Spurs got knocked out right away and Memphis would've been a matchup nightmare had they gotten past OKC. The Thunder were too young at the time, and then of course there was LeBron's meltdown. I think Dirk is right on the outside looking in. Right now, after thinking about it, here's where I stand:

Obvious:

LeBron
Durant
CP3
Harden

Probably:

Paul George
Tony Parker

I'm giving the benefit of the doubt:

Kevin Love

Right on the outside looking in:

Dirk
Westbrook

Next level down:

Anthony Davis
'Melo
Dwight Howard

Show me you're healthy then we'll talk:

Derrick Rose
Kobe Bryant
Stephen Curry

jstone0716
11-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Dirk is a tough one at this point. How close is he to his 2011 form? He hasn't fallen far, but those small bits are huge in something like this. There's also the fact that he did get a fair bit of luck in his first run. The No. 1 seeded Spurs got knocked out right away and Memphis would've been a matchup nightmare had they gotten past OKC. The Thunder were too young at the time, and then of course there was LeBron's meltdown. I think Dirk is right on the outside looking in. Right now, after thinking about it, here's where I stand

So basically the Mavs championship run amounts to nothing but luck of seeding? Okey dokey. Mavs destroyed the competition and won the ring because of unselfish team basketball, great coaching and one of the best closers in the game. Dirk > Paul George, Harden, Love, Westbrook. Duncan too for that matter since you didn't bother listing him.

Miltstar
11-07-2013, 08:26 PM
My list might surprise a few people but if i was starting a team from scratch

Anthony Davis
Kevin Durant
Lebron James
Paul George
Kevin Love
Chris Paul
Dwight Howard
Russell Westbrook
Dirk Nowitski
Blake Griffin

As fun as guys like Curry, Lillard, Melo and Harden are to watch, they dont D-up well enough to be in this conersation)

I omited Kobe, Rose and Rondo due to injury but they'd be there if proven healthy

watch out for Andre Drummond if he learns to hit a free throw