PDA

View Full Version : Why do players argue calls once it's been made?

FOBolous
11-05-2013, 11:49 PM
it makes no sense. i don't understand. the revs never change their mind once a call has been made, and if they argue too much, they get a technical. what purpose does arguing a call serve?

Phenomenonsense
11-05-2013, 11:56 PM
It can influence future calls.

WARRIORS@GR
11-05-2013, 11:58 PM
This doesn't need a thread,the answer is so easy.
^^

Hawkeye15
11-06-2013, 12:05 AM
uh, to get a call down the line. You learn that pretty early if you play competitive, organized basketball. The better talker you are (debater, with reason), the easier to convince a ref that he owes you one now for instance.

TheMightyHumph
11-06-2013, 01:05 AM
it makes no sense. i don't understand. the revs never change their mind once a call has been made, and if they argue too much, they get a technical. what purpose does arguing a call serve?

Have you ever played refereed basketball?

sunsfan88
11-06-2013, 01:14 AM
To make sure the refs know it was a bad call and so they know that you will get pissed at them for making wrong call.

Otherwise, if you don't argue bad calls, the refs will continue to call bad fouls and not call fouls when it was obvious you got hit cause they think you don't care (see Derrick Rose)

LongIslandIcedZ
11-06-2013, 01:15 AM
One reason is so they could get a call later on the game.

Another is that their venting frustration.

Hellcrooner
11-06-2013, 01:17 AM
have you ever played?

you are out of your head while playing.

Thats why.

FOBolous
11-06-2013, 01:43 AM
Have you ever played refereed basketball?

honestly, no. only pick up games. i personally don't see a point to it tho cause...

1. i don't really ever see refs change the way they're refing cause players argue the call. i mean, opposing players complain every time Harden flops but i don't see the refs not whistling every time Harden flops because other players complain.

2. and i can see how complaining might influence refs on a amateur level but i don't see the refs falling for it on a professional level. i mean, players complain pretty much every time they blow their whistle and fans boo every time a foul gets called on the home team, i highly doubt it has any impact on them anymore.

and if you complain too much, you get a T :shrug:

Asik's better
11-06-2013, 01:50 AM
I knew the moment I read the title that you haven't played organised b-ball. The reason for players is either a) to influence refs for future calls or b) out of frustration. The reason for coaches is they want influence the ref or to gain an understanding on how the refs are reffing that game.

hornetsfansydne
11-06-2013, 01:54 AM
Players also learn something about how that particular game is being officiated and that particular official's interpretation of a certain call. Some of the smarter players also do it to try to take the ref's mind off the game and focus on something else

hornetsfansydne
11-06-2013, 01:55 AM
Most players/coaches also think they know the rules better than the refs and this is another reason

jam
11-06-2013, 03:14 AM
Have you been living under a rock your entire life?

NBA officials make the gambino crime family look like choir boys.

That's just life in the nba: the refs are all corrupt, all of the stars flop, and then whine if they don't get their calls. It's a league full of crybabies and WWE storyline officiating.

ewing
11-06-2013, 09:48 AM
they are humans

Lisound15
11-06-2013, 10:19 AM
One reason is so they could get a call later on the game.

Another is that their venting frustration.

This.

It's not just basketball too, it happens in every single sport. Its just human nature.

JasonJohnHorn
11-06-2013, 11:32 AM
There are several reasons.

1. The official may not see what a player is doing to create an unfair call, so the player who is called against lets him know to look out for it.
2. Let's the official know they made a bad call, and hopefully get a call their way the next time there is a questionable call.
3. To create a conflict and dissuade the official from making calls against the player later. Nobody likes conflict, so people tend to avoid them. This may discourage the official from making a call later unless they are 100% certain.
4. To find out what they did wrong or find out how the official is going to be calling the game. This way the player knows what the official is going to be calling and can adjust his game accordingly.
5. Because some people get caught up in the moment and allow their emotions to take over.

PhillyFaninLA
11-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Because they can't argue before.....

No in all seriousness, I think sometimes its arguing and sometimes its them mad and trying to find out what happened, or as someone else stated trying to influence future calls.